Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

3" gazzalodi and single crown fork?

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 6 posts · 538 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
24 January 2007
Last activity
29 January 2007
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
538
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. To the list:

    I am putting together a 4X hardtail bike with lite DH capability for
    the Handmade Bicycle Show in San Jose, 1st weekend in March. The
    reference tire for this frame is a 3" Nokian Gazzalodi. I eBayed a
    Junior T but the tire rakes the arch. I was workign with White Bros.
    but they say their forks can't cleqar the 3" Gazzalodi. I'm thinking
    Marzocchi, but am not convinced.

    My guess is the frame wil be use with smaller, lighter tires for 4X and
    general hucjking, but I want to preserve that cpability to run the big
    units.

    Anyone with sure knowledge of a single crown fork clearing the 3"
    Gazzalodi, please post a reply!

    later & TIA

    jn

    "Thursday"

  2. Quoted message said:

    To the list:

    I am putting together a 4X hardtail bike with lite DH capability for
    the Handmade Bicycle Show in San Jose, 1st weekend in March. The
    reference tire for this frame is a 3" Nokian Gazzalodi. I eBayed a
    Junior T but the tire rakes the arch. I was workign with White Bros.
    but they say their forks can't cleqar the 3" Gazzalodi. I'm thinking
    Marzocchi, but am not convinced.

    Consider shaving the side knobs down so that they don't rub too much. Then
    again if you're going to a show that might not be an option.

    Quoted message said:

    My guess is the frame wil be use with smaller, lighter tires for 4X
    and general hucjking, but I want to preserve that cpability to run
    the big units.

    2.7" vs. 3.0" shouldn't make that big of a difference in terms of
    performance when not in "show mode". Plus you get the chance to use 32mm
    Fox forks at the 2.7" and smaller, although those won't be that great for
    hucjking.

    Quoted message said:

    Anyone with sure knowledge of a single crown fork clearing the 3"
    Gazzalodi, please post a reply!

    For sure, the Cannondale Lefty Max does (wheel needs to be dished to the
    right a bit), but it's dual-crown. I think the Fox 40 also lets you run
    3.0's but it's dual-crown. For sure the Marz Super Monster T does with its
    removable arch but it's dual-crown. The Marz Shiver series is upside-down,
    so there's no crown at all, making it perfect for 3.0" I think that the
    Shiver is made in both in a dual and single crown design but I don't think
    they're made new anymore.

    Any particular reason you're staying single-crown? Planning on some
    barspins while upside-down? 😉

    --
    Phil

  3. On Jan 24, 10:59 am, "Phil, Non-Squid" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Any particular reason you're staying single-crown? Planning on some
    barspins while upside-down? 😉

    --
    Phil

    Well, not personally, at least not upside down, but the riders who come
    to me for frames tend to be, ah, like that. I get these wishes and
    why-nots coming in all the time and try to use them to define my build
    parameters. Chances are one in ten might actually run the 3" tire.
    Single crown, I've already got a bike spec-ed for dual crown forks.
    Well, let's see what happens!

    Meanwhille Bryan at Marzochhi says the 66 series has the clearance I
    need, and the top of the line unit is adjustable down to about 140mm
    travel. It is close to a 6-pound fork. Heavier than the frame!

    later

    jn

    "Thursday"

  4. Quoted message said:

    On Jan 24, 10:59 am, "Phil, Non-Squid" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Any particular reason you're staying single-crown? Planning on some
    barspins while upside-down? 😉

    --
    Phil

    Well, not personally, at least not upside down, but the riders who
    come to me for frames tend to be, ah, like that. I get these wishes
    and why-nots coming in all the time and try to use them to define my
    build parameters. Chances are one in ten might actually run the 3"
    tire. Single crown, I've already got a bike spec-ed for dual crown
    forks. Well, let's see what happens!

    Meanwhille Bryan at Marzochhi says the 66 series has the clearance I
    need, and the top of the line unit is adjustable down to about 140mm
    travel. It is close to a 6-pound fork. Heavier than the frame!

    Rigid or sus alu frame?

    --
    Phil

  5. On Jan 24, 10:57 pm, "Phil, Non-Squid" <[email hidden]>
    wrote:
    Rigid or sus alu frame?

    Quoted message said:


    --
    Phil

    Phil, & list:

    This is an all cro moly frame, a mix of Reynolds heat treated tubing
    and aircraft grade straight gauge. I haven't weighed it yet but it's
    well under 6 pounds. And it's a hardtail. One more reason to run the
    3" tire on the rear - at about 15 psi.

    later

    jn

    "Thursday"

  6. Quoted message said:

    On Jan 24, 10:57 pm, "Phil, Non-Squid" <[email hidden]>
    wrote:
    Rigid or sus alu frame?

    Quoted message said:


    --
    Phil

    Phil, & list:

    This is an all cro moly frame, a mix of Reynolds heat treated tubing
    and aircraft grade straight gauge. I haven't weighed it yet but it's
    well under 6 pounds. And it's a hardtail. One more reason to run the
    3" tire on the rear - at about 15 psi.

    later

    jn

    "Thursday"

    Look into running a 24" Gaz if a 26" doesn't workk.
    --
    Phil

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.