rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

3 Uni-Crashes in 30 hours!!!

Started by chirokid · · Last activity · 7 posts · 375 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
12 July 2004
Last activity
14 July 2004
Original author
chirokid
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
375
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Yep, it's me again, Chirokid, with two more crashes. Many of you read
    about my pedal injury yesterday. Well, today I decided to do an 11 mile
    loop ride.

    I remembered to add air to my Moto-Raptor, and off I went. LITERALLY!
    I guess I made the tire a little too hard, because I got launched.

    Not bragging, but unless I am Muni riding, I remember very few falls in
    the last 30 years. Now, I have three in 30 hours. All with blood for
    the proof. Maybe I can't ride a unicycle after all.

    This 11 mile loop is in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. It is
    a one-way narrow road that runs around the edge of a huge valley up in
    the mountains.

    The first crash happened at about the 2.0 mile mark. Two families had
    just taken my picutre and told me how good I looked. Just as I rounded
    the next corner, thinking of how wonderful I really am, I was brought
    abruptly back to reality. And reality in this case was the Asphalt. I
    had no time to run, hitting on my knees, wrists and then trumbling over
    my Hydration system. (the dried fruit survived, so all is well) This
    spill left a bloody left knee. It nicely matches it's calf from
    yesterday, and two bruised hands. Only one palm bleed, I had to pick
    the little tiny gravel from under the skin. But the good news is, the
    blood helped push the gravel to the surface. The other palm just had
    little red punch marks.

    I proceeded on my way to about the 8 mile mark. I could hear a long
    line of cars behind me. Eventhough I stay within 6 to 8 inches of the
    side of the road at all times, some folks just will not pass. I try to
    wave them around, but then realise that I am probably their
    entertainment. Many times they don't want to pass, they just ride along
    and watch me ride.

    Well, this SUV had been behind me for a long time, so I decide to hop
    off onto the gravel shoulder of the road and give him some extra room to
    pass. He still stays behind me. Turns out the SUV is full of a whole
    family from St. Louis, Missouri. You learn these kind of details when
    you try to die right in front of their vehicle.

    So, out of nowhere, I hammer a 3" invisible rock and down I go again.
    This time, I land on my right shin, resulting in a nice hunk of
    road-rash and jam my right wrist much worse. NOTE: Harbinger Wrist
    Guards do not work effectively, especially while hanging in your garage.
    This family is like 5 feet behind and to my right when this happens. I
    jump right to my feet, grab my unicycle and say, "Did you'all get a
    picutre of that?" They laughed, then were very concerned that I was OK.
    I told them I was fine, I lied! They asked again. Again I lied and
    said, "Yea, I'm fine!"

    Next words out of the guys mouth, no joke, were these. "Let me ask you
    this, are those (pointing to my SHJag29er) hard to ride?" I point to
    the spot I just tried to kill myself and say, "It was right there!" We
    chat for another 30 seconds and depart.

    I hop back on my wild stallion and take off down the road. I gently
    roll and palpate my right wrist to feel for fractures, all the while
    sucking some H20 from my pack to clean my shin. This nice family
    continues to follow me for several 100 meters (thats for all you
    Europeans) then pass me. They pull over and wait for me at the next
    pull-off. They ask to take my picture. Then we talk for little while.
    The man says he has watched unicycle riders on TV doing all kinds of
    tricks and asks if I know what he's talking about. I do several 360
    hops, different mounts, backward ride and tell them I can hop off small
    porches, etc. Thankfully, they didn't ask to see that, as I was still
    concerned If I could actually ride on a flat road at that moment. About
    20 people had assembled for this little show so I decided I better get
    on my way.

    The rest of the ride was awesome. I saw two mother Sow Black Bears and
    4 cubs during this ride, as well as numerous deer, and about 20 crows.
    I figured the crows were smelling my blood and were anticipating my next
    crash. I think I looked like their next meal. Carrion for a week!

    What a day. Three uni-crashes and six black bears in 30 hours. I think
    I'll leave my unicycles at home tomorrow.

    Sincerely, a very sore, aching and scab covered, almost crow chow,
    --chirokid--

    --
    chirokid - Wolfman 2004: Unicycle Catagory

    "Other than that, the best maintenance is to keep riding it as this
    helps to keep the eccentric nut on the saddle in optimal condition."
    quote by Mikefule

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    chirokid's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4140
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/33866

  2. That is some tale!!!!!
    I think you should get back on a uni as soon as possible, they say "the
    third time's a charm". Since you've already "hit" # 3, it should be
    smooth sailing from now on😄 😉

    Hope you heal quickly

    --
    Krashin'Kenny - Crash Tested

    If you ain't crashing, you ain't going fast enough!!!!!!!!!!!

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Krashin'Kenny's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3420
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/33866

  3. I was just re-reading the thread about your other crash. It seems to me
    your 29'r was trying to prove something:

    (Quote)
    Good to hear from you. That KH Wheelset you sold me is still perfect. It
    doesn't try to kill me like the SHJag29er. --chirokid--

    I can't believe you weren't fully "armored up" after the first one.
    You're old enough to know better, won't you ever learn? 😄 🙄

    --
    Krashin'Kenny - Crash Tested

    If you ain't crashing, you ain't going fast enough!!!!!!!!!!!

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Krashin'Kenny's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3420
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/33866

  4. Only three? Geez.

    --
    James_Potter - Rettop_Semaj

    -If there was an eleventh commandment, it is to be "thou shalt dip thy
    pizza, for it is, wicked."-
    --Thedan
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    James_Potter's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3807
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/33866

  5. chirokid, I just read your first crash post and was literally laughing
    out loud! Great job on describing the crashes. If I wasn't laughing so
    hard, I'd feel sorry for you.

    Bill

    --
    billham

    It's better to be thought a fool, than to say something and remove all
    doubt.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    billham's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4625
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/33866

  6. chirokid said:

    *
    Next words out of the guys mouth, no joke, were these. "Let me ask
    you this, are those (pointing to my SHJag29er) hard to ride?" I point
    to the spot I just tried to kill myself and say, "It was right there!"
    *

    That was the best response. You had me cracking up on that one. A really
    great story.

    BTW Is there going to be a sale on used, slightly scratched unicycle
    equipment?

    --
    One on one - Hooked on a fun fix!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    One on one's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5740
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/33866

  7. chirokid said:

    * NOTE: Harbinger Wrist Guards do not work effectively, especially
    while hanging in your garage. *

    LOL nice quote.

    --
    mazem - Department of Redundancy Dept.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    mazem's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6620
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/33866

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.