30km TT wheel(s) question

Fooz

May 5, 2003
Hi everyone

For a 30km TT, I can't get hold of a disc wheel to use, so what would be the better alternatives?

I have access to a set of Spinergy RevX 4 spoke wheels. It's a pretty windy course, although flat. Very little cover from trees or anything...

RevX at the rear with a light wheel up front, or RevX front and rear?

Regards
Fooz

If its a windy course--especially with any cross winds--you don't want a disc for any reason. The RevX four spokes will do just fine. If the course is flat, aero will be more advantageous than light weight.

Fooz said:
Hi everyone

For a 30km TT, I can't get hold of a disc wheel to use, so what would be the better alternatives?

I have access to a set of Spinergy RevX 4 spoke wheels. It's a pretty windy course, although flat. Very little cover from trees or anything...

RevX at the rear with a light wheel up front, or RevX front and rear?

Regards
Fooz

what do mean a light wheel? an aero wheel up front is more important than an aero wheel in the back. do some research.

By light wheel I meant something like a Spinergy Xaero-lite. The whole set weights in at around 1.5kg's (same as the ksyrium ssc-sl's), and has a 30mm profile. Front wheel has 18 spokes, and with a hutchinson carbon comp tyre, it's a rather light front wheel.

So, RevX up front as well or not ? :D

Fooz said:
By light wheel I meant something like a Spinergy Xaero-lite. The whole set weights in at around 1.5kg's (same as the ksyrium ssc-sl's), and has a 30mm profile. Front wheel has 18 spokes, and with a hutchinson carbon comp tyre, it's a rather light front wheel.

So, RevX up front as well or not ? :D

Whatever is more aerodynamic needs to go up front. The deeper rim, with fewer spokes or bladed spokes is the better option for the front. If the Xaero's have a deeper profile rim, then use that in the front. Like rv said, an aero wheel in front is far more important than an aero rear wheel.