rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

36" Coker tired DIY kit

Started by One on one · · Last activity · 23 posts · 984 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
29 March 2005
Last activity
30 March 2005
Original author
One on one
Posts
23
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
984
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 23
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Here is a photo of my new 36" unicycle. I really can't call it a Coker
    because the only thing that is Coker is the tire and tube.

    +----------------------------------------------------------------+
    | Attachment filename: coker diy kit.jpg |
    |Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/292608|
    +----------------------------------------------------------------+

    --
    One on one - Geezer Unicyclists Of America

    "However, like the jet pilot, if the Coker rider tries to turn too fast,
    he/she could black out."
    -Memphis Mud

    The De Beers people used to say, "Diamonds are Forever." But now their
    ad says, "Diamonds Will Render Her Speechless." Why don’t they just
    come out and say, "Diamonds--That'll Shut Her Up!"
    Ron White - Blue Collar Comedy Tour

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    One on one's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5740
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/39213

  2. Here is the end result after putting all of the pieces in the correct
    places.

    +----------------------------------------------------------------+
    | Attachment filename: gb4 montage.jpg |
    |Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/292610|
    +----------------------------------------------------------------+

    --
    One on one - Geezer Unicyclists Of America

    "However, like the jet pilot, if the Coker rider tries to turn too fast,
    he/she could black out."
    -Memphis Mud

    The De Beers people used to say, "Diamonds are Forever." But now their
    ad says, "Diamonds Will Render Her Speechless." Why don’t they just
    come out and say, "Diamonds--That'll Shut Her Up!"
    Ron White - Blue Collar Comedy Tour

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    One on one's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5740
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/39213

  3. *drools*

    --
    Evan Byrne

    Murde Dosnt know what he's talking about, i have my soul, its right here
    next to me!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Evan Byrne's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9367
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/39213

  4. Very nice! Where did you order it from?

    --
    UNIquelyCanadian - 8~)[==)--O

    "The skull is great helmet, and with no brain inside you can have
    maximum protection; your teeth are safe " - Always wear a helmet.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    UNIquelyCanadian's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7524
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/39213

  5. that is a beautiful uni, brings tears to my eyes.

    Chase

    --
    Unitik908 - Level 5

    All hail the exhaulted Sigpoose, for he is forever king...

    R.I.P Unibiker
    R.I.P Gazzaloddi
    R.I.P Paul Hester
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Unitik908's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8690
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/39213

  6. wow.its blue.

    🙄

    --
    forrestunifreak - Team YAMS member

    Old school.new school.Im the bus driver.

    -YAMSTA-
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    forrestunifreak's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6828
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/39213

  7. NICE 36 ! Bet it rides like a dream.

    I'm moving toward a similar ride and can't wait. I'll be looking for
    any more info about your project.

    Congrats! Bill

    --
    trailguy - uni is great
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    trailguy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8788
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/39213

  8. Wow you assembled everything in 3 minutes! That is a nice uni....

    -Lee

    --
    leeman180 - i should be out riding
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    leeman180's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8441
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/39213

  9. How long to lace the wheel, and what did you use for a truing stand?

    How long did it take to get all the parts in after placing your order?
    What kind of lead time should I allow if I decide to build one?

    How do like the GB4 frame.

    Was this your first wheel build?

    How much do you think you saved doing it yourself.

    --
    bugman - Survivor 2004 Wolfman Duathalon

    -*[-F-O-N-T-=-c-e-n-t-u-r-y- -g-o-t-h-i-c-]-'-H-e-l-p- -C-u-r-e-
    -D-i-a-b-e-t-e-s- -b-y- -S-u-p-p-o-r-t-i-n-g- -M-y- -R-i-d-e-'-
    -(-h-t-t-p-:-/-/-t-i-n-y-u-r-l-.-c-o-m-/-6-8-m-k-v-)- -[-/-F-O-N-T-]- -
    * -
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    bugman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3812
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/39213

  10. One on one said:

    *Here is the end result after putting all of the pieces in the correct
    places. *


    I don't know, are you -sure- you put -all- of the pieces in the correct
    places? You better send it to me and I'll check it for you - no charge
    - it'll only take a year or so . . . :eek: 😄

    --
    brian.slater - Nellfurtiti, the Wonder Cat

    Brian C. Slater
    AKA: Snoopy

    Ok, I am now officially in my normal state of -advanced- confusion.
    Don't try to confuse me, it won't make any difference.

    "To not decide is to decide" - undecided
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    brian.slater's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3902
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/39213

  11. UNIquelyCanadian said:

    *Very nice! Where did you order it from? *

    Semcycle.com - Nipples

    GB4 Manufacturing - GB4 frame and handle

    Unicycle Factory - Tom Miller SS Spokes

    Unicycle.com - Coker tire, Coker tube, Torker LX Saddle w/ seatpost,
    Gemcrest leather saddle cover, Air pillow, Nimbus X cranks, Primo Viking
    Seatpost clamp, UDC Superwide hub, Airfoil Rim

    Amazon.com - "The Art Of Wheelbuilding" book by Gerd Schraner

    Rock n Roll Lube - Nipple cream

    Bike tools Etc. - Brass spoke washers, Park spoke wrench

    LBC - Hand Grips

    --
    One on one - Geezer Unicyclists Of America

    "However, like the jet pilot, if the Coker rider tries to turn too fast,
    he/she could black out."
    -Memphis Mud

    The De Beers people used to say, "Diamonds are Forever." But now their
    ad says, "Diamonds Will Render Her Speechless." Why don’t they just
    come out and say, "Diamonds--That'll Shut Her Up!"
    Ron White - Blue Collar Comedy Tour

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    One on one's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5740
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/39213

  12. Nice work, welcome to the club!

    Boy 'tis a fine fine ride you got there

    --
    Brian MacKenzie - LAN Solo

    TRAINING WHEEL NOT REQUIRED:
    '8mb Trailer' (http://www.brianmackenzie.com/TWNR_Trailer.wmv)

    'Unicycle Product Reviews'
    (http://londonunicyclingclub.ca/unicycleReviews.aspx)
    *120* reviews on *77* products, never make an uninformed purchase again!

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Brian MacKenzie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7650
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/39213

  13. bugman said:

    *How long to lace the wheel, and what did you use for a truing
    stand?

    Was this your first wheel build?
    *

    This was my second wheel build. My first was about 30 years ago, when I
    swapped out 2 tubular rims for clincher rims on a road bike. I really
    didn't know what I was doing at that time, but I do still have that same
    bicycle in riding condition without any broken spokes.

    It took me 4-5 hours to lace the wheel, tension, true it, stress
    relieve, tension, true again, stress relieve, tension, true again,
    stress relieve, (repeat the last three steps until wheel is true and at
    a good tension)

    I did not use a truing stand. I used my uni frame with the seat post
    sticking down through the seat tube as my dishing tool and truing guide.
    Then I used my thumb for side to side truing. Not very scientific, don't
    laugh, it worked extremely well.

    bugman said:

    *How long did it take to get all the parts in after placing your
    order? What kind of lead time should I allow if I decide to build
    one?

    How do like the GB4 frame.

    How much do you think you saved doing it yourself. *

    I started getting the parts together the week after Christmas. I ordered
    my frame from George Barnes. Took delivery in early February. I am
    really impressed with the quality of work on the frame and handle. The
    bearing holders, themselves are beautiful and work so well.

    I had to wait on the Airfoil rim from UDC because of a manufacturing
    problem. That took about 2 months.

    With Semcycle, I had to wait about 3 weeks, because they were in Europe.

    Spokes from Tom Miller were about a 7-10 day process. He has about 60
    sets of spokes left. After they're gone, that's it.

    From first order, to complete unicycle was almost 4 months. Most of the
    waiting time was because of the Airfoil rim. That shouldn't be a problem
    anymore.

    Money savings, depends on what you compare the final product to.
    Compared to the UDC Airfoil wheelset, the cost would be a bit more, but
    this wheel has Stainless Steel spokes, brass spoke head washers for a
    better hub connection, and I'm sure it is a much higher tension build.

    If anyone has any other questions and wants individual answers, they can
    e-mail me at hotandcold58 (at) hotmail.com

    --
    One on one - Geezer Unicyclists Of America

    "However, like the jet pilot, if the Coker rider tries to turn too fast,
    he/she could black out."
    -Memphis Mud

    The De Beers people used to say, "Diamonds are Forever." But now their
    ad says, "Diamonds Will Render Her Speechless." Why don’t they just
    come out and say, "Diamonds--That'll Shut Her Up!"
    Ron White - Blue Collar Comedy Tour

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    One on one's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5740
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/39213

  14. One on one said:

    *Rock n Roll Lube - Nipple cream*

    I don't know what this is but sure sounds interesting.

    Congratulations to a fine 36"er!

    --
    goldenchicken - Olaf Johansson
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    goldenchicken's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8149
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/39213

  15. brian.slater said:

    *I don't know, are you -sure- you put -all- of the pieces in the
    correct places? You better send it to me and I'll check it for you -
    no charge - it'll only take a year or so . . . :eek: 😄 *

    I probably should send it to you to check out. After all, riding your
    Coker last October in Boston, was what started all of this. It's all
    your fault, maybe I should send you a bill instead.

    --
    One on one - Geezer Unicyclists Of America

    "However, like the jet pilot, if the Coker rider tries to turn too fast,
    he/she could black out."
    -Memphis Mud

    The De Beers people used to say, "Diamonds are Forever." But now their
    ad says, "Diamonds Will Render Her Speechless." Why don’t they just
    come out and say, "Diamonds--That'll Shut Her Up!"
    Ron White - Blue Collar Comedy Tour

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    One on one's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5740
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/39213

  16. Looks like a fine job. Congratulations!

    --
    U-Turn - As long as my feet keep movin'...

    Weep in the dojo... laugh on the battlefield.
    'LiveWire Unicycles' (http://www.livewireunicycles.com)
    'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'
    (http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albup39)
    '29er Tire Study' (http://u-turn.unicyclist.com/29erTireStudy/)
    'New York Unicycle Club' (http://www.newyorkunicycle.com)
    -- Dave Stockton
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    U-Turn's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/691
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/39213

  17. I've never heard of brass spoke head washers before. What is their
    function? Do they allow greater spoke tension?

    --
    TonyMelton - Head in the clouds

    2005 Auckland Muni and Trials Weekend on April 23 to 25 in Auckland. Be
    there! 'Muni weekend information and registration'
    (http://tinyurl.com/4fagw)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    TonyMelton's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2118
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/39213

  18. how much did it cost?

    --
    ben_unruh - ogga booga bogga boo

    The power of the polka

    Unicyclers Unite
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ben_unruh's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6766
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/39213

  19. TonyMelton said:

    *I've never heard of brass spoke head washers before. What is their
    function? Do they allow greater spoke tension? *

    There is quite a bit of play around the spoke at the hub on the UDC
    Superwide hub. The holes were drilled for 12ga spokes. This extra space
    around the spoke allows movement of the spokes in the hub that can cause
    broken spokes at the spoke head. The washers tighten everything up
    nicely.

    You have to set the spoke heads into the washer and hub using a spoke
    head punch. I made my own from a Craftsman pin punch. I dremeled out a
    concave surface that matched the shape of the spoke head.

    You can get the washers from Bike Tools Etc. They are online. A bag of
    100 is $2.50 plus $6.00 shipping. They also sell a spoke head punch.

    http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.c...m_id=DT-SHW/100

    Greater spoke tension is allowed by the Airfoil rim.

    --
    One on one - Geezer Unicyclists Of America

    "However, like the jet pilot, if the Coker rider tries to turn too fast,
    he/she could black out."
    -Memphis Mud

    The De Beers people used to say, "Diamonds are Forever." But now their
    ad says, "Diamonds Will Render Her Speechless." Why don’t they just
    come out and say, "Diamonds--That'll Shut Her Up!"
    Ron White - Blue Collar Comedy Tour

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    One on one's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5740
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/39213

  20. As the owner of a very similar ride I KNOW that you'll enjoy it!

    However, I want to know more about the "Geezer Unicyclists Of
    America."

    [email hidden]

    --
    Tmornstar - Grandmaster 2T

    Tommy Thompson
    [email hidden] (No PMs. please)
    Memphis Unicycle Club
    Please vist our web site:
    http://www.memphisunicycleclub.com
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tmornstar's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/658
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/39213

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.