rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

36" vs. 29"

Started by thayr · · Last activity · 47 posts · 841 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
26 May 2006
Last activity
20 June 2006
Original author
thayr
Posts
47
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
841
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 41–47 of 47
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Today I had a terrific visit to the UK warehouse of Unicycle.com! My
    friend and I met up with Roger and he showed us all sorts of unicycles
    and various tricks.

    I had never before seen or ridden a 36" before today, and now I am
    totally sold on getting one! My first few mounts were awkward but I
    quickly got the hang of it and was mounting, turning, going up/down
    curbs and idling within 10 minutes. I rode on a 36" Shlumph geared uni
    with 150mm cranks and optional gear of something similar to 86mm (I
    gave that a few tries but couldn't get the hang of the gear setting of
    86), also a 36" with 115mm cranks (more difficult to mount and control
    but still a very nice ride once you get going).

    Being that I had only seen photos of 36ers on the internet I was
    surprised at the size of the uni, it is really quite massive! My next
    uni purchase for sure will be a 36" with 150mm cranks, as I get more
    comfortable I'll try it with 125mm and maybe something smaller. The
    smaller unis I've ridden have a greater level of control with them but
    I don't think it's anything that cannot be attained on a 36" with a bit
    of practise.

    --
    thayr
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    thayr's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8957
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/49770

  2. 'I hate to say I told you so.' (http://tinyurl.com/flzrd) Have fun with
    it. Big wheels are a riot.

    --
    harper

    -Greg Harper

    B L U E S H I F T

    *jc is the only main man. there can be no other.*

    This is still my nth post....*AWESOME!!!*
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    harper's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/426
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/49770

  3. did you even bother trying a 29er with 125's?

    --
    forget_your_life

    dream one dream many....
    *'R.I.P' (http://tinyurl.com/vr86)*
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    forget_your_life's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4558
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/49770

  4. thayr said:

    <snip 36er virgin's awed missive>..
    I rode on a 36" Shlumph geared uni with 150mm cranks and optional gear
    of something similar to 86mm (I gave that a few tries but couldn't get
    the hang of the gear setting of 86),...

    So wait, was the gear 1:2 or more? (36 - 86)?
    Or just a normal Shlumph with 1:1.5?

    --
    steveyo

    steveyo

    ...like having your own personal rollercoaster...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    steveyo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7228
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/49770

  5. steveyo said:

    So wait, was the gear 1:2 or more? (36 - 86)?
    Or just a normal Shlumph with 1:1.5?

    If it's Roger's Schlumpf, it's the same as a normal Schlumpf with
    1:1.55 gearing, which makes it sort of like riding a coker with 96mm
    cranks, although actually it's somewhat harder to ride than that. It's
    55.8" equivalent wheel size.

    Joe

    --
    joemarshall

    my pics http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuq44
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    joemarshall's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1545
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/49770

  6. joemarshall said:

    If it's Roger's Schlumpf, it's the same as a normal Schlumpf with 1:1.55
    gearing, which makes it sort of like riding a coker with 96mm cranks,
    although actually it's somewhat harder to ride than that. It's 55.8"
    equivalent wheel size.

    Wow. That seems like it could go really fast.

    --
    steveyo

    steveyo

    ...like having your own personal rollercoaster...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    steveyo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7228
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/49770

  7. forget_your_life said:

    give me a nimble 29er over a boat anchor 36 anyday.

    The other day on a ride through town there was heavy traffic and lots
    of people walking around. I found myself cutting through traffic and
    zipping around people, up and down curbs, tight squeezes, slowing down
    and speeding up... the whole time that quote kept running through my
    head!

    My virgin ride on the coker was really great but I think it would take
    a while to become as proficient as I am now on my 26". I'm still going
    to get a 36" as soon as I get home (currently in the UK and don't want
    to add a 36" unicycle to my luggage), but I really think a 29 would be
    great for the riding I do (and enjoy doing).

    --
    thayr
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    thayr's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8957
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/49770

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.