70kms in one day...

Ronin Talgar

Nov 22, 2007
Finding it a little daunting. I run quite a bit but I haven't ridden in years, and my bike is...holding together. Looking for info on equipment, how long that would probably take me and most importantly if its likely I can do it anyway. Should be on a fairly busy Highway, something else I've not done before. Its in NSW, ah, about 3 weeks from now. I'll look around here too. Thanks in advance.

Ronin Talgar said:
Finding it a little daunting. I run quite a bit but I haven't ridden in years, and my bike is...holding together. Looking for info on equipment, how long that would probably take me and most importantly if its likely I can do it anyway. Should be on a fairly busy Highway, something else I've not done before. Its in NSW, ah, about 3 weeks from now. I'll look around here too. Thanks in advance.
Not sure there's a question in there anywhere but 70k is pretty achievable - I've done it pretty regularly and there's plenty of people who do a lot more. Try and do a couple of 2 hour rides over the next couple of weeks - and probably wouldn't hurt to get the bike checked over.

If you've not ridden much, just take your time and go easy - drink plenty - and rest as required. Given your circumstances it might take you 4 or 5 hours but you'll manage.

/k

Not a real problem if you are in decent shape. I done it in 2:15 - 2:30 or so on a nice cyclocross. In summer I guess you need at least 2-3 liters of water, and a good meal just before you start.

In Sweden 15 000 people a year do the "Vätternrundan" race around the lake "Vättern", that is 300 km and takes something like 8,5 - 14 hours.

I understand your fear.. after years of not riding and almost as many kilos more on my poor body, I was tempted by a couple of friends to try and ride 700km in a week .......I panicked, of course, but then I started riding the bike for an hour, then two hours and then three... by the time you get to three hours on your bike you will be doing about 70km at a very leisure pace or so I did.. after that there is no limit and as I keep telling myself there is nothing which can not be solved by 200hours training!!!!!!

my long ride went smoothly and left me feeling really satisfied with myself

Sry if its unrelated, but is it a group ride. Im about ready for racing, and do about 50km solo rides atm at a reasonable pace and find my legs a bit tired. Had my first group ride last sat, did 70kms total (10 warmup) and a few solo at the end, but it felt so easy, i rode the front a bit and found my rhythm pace to high.
Moral of the story i found, group rides= easy at the back if u need a rest.

Other advice that i know is bad but worked for me(20 physically fit remember that). --> because i could not string more than 2 weeks good training together, i could only ride about 30km tops without serious fatigue. After 3 rides in the saddle after a month off, i forced myself to do 50km rides with the aid of energy gels, took me 3-4 of those and after a few weeks of on and off, i blitzted that group ride of 60km and now ride 50km solo at a decent pace. I only resorted to forcing myslef to 40% above my limit because of lack of time, not recommened, but worked for me so dont count it out. 3 weeks is plent of time, all important dont train over what u know ur body can recover at.

70 km is nothing special really, but I remember the first time I tried to cycle that far. Had the same thoughts you are having.

Like the other posters have said, go out for a few rides to start getting your legs and rear end into shape, take it easy, and don't forget to drink. You might want to eat something as well to be on the safe side.

This summer (vacation) me and my girlfriend cycled some 95 km (60 miles) with hybrid bikes with 2 x 25 kg of luggage stuffed in four Ortlieb panniers. Average speed (we did 2-3 stops, 2-3 hours total, vacation you know) was some 20-21 km/h (12-13 m/h). Hence, it took some 4½ - 5 hours effective time. Key word is hydration and food rich of proteine.

Thanks everyone. This is looking very promising. No DirtTurtle, solo for now.

I'll get back to you when I get there :)