8 speed freehubs with 3/8 axles?

justareader

Guest
Decent freewheels with quality internal parts that don't skip are
becoming rare. Are there rear freehubs that fit a frame designed
for 3/8 diameter axles without quick release?

A shy person asked:

Not that rare, see: http://harriscyclery.com/freewheels

> Are there rear freehubs that fit a frame designed
> for 3/8 diameter axles without quick release?

No. It isn't too hard to file the bottom edge of a narrow dropout the
extra half millimeter to fit a standard 10 mm axle.

Sheldon "Insert Nickname Here" Brown
Greensboro, North Carolina
| Give a man a fire, and he will stay warm for a day. |
| Set a man on fire, he stays warm for the rest of his life. |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

justareader <[email protected]> writes:

> Decent freewheels with quality internal parts that don't skip are
> becoming rare. Are there rear freehubs that fit a frame designed
> for 3/8 diameter axles without quick release?

(10/25.4)-(3/8)=0.019
10mm axels are common.

justareader wrote:

> Decent freewheels with quality internal parts that don't skip are
> becoming rare. Are there rear freehubs that fit a frame designed
> for 3/8 diameter axles without quick release?

Current XMart bikes similar to Mr Fogel's Fury commonly use
9.5mm solid axles with 8 speed freewheels. That's still a
cheaper combination than the cheapest cassette system.

If you need a freewheel wheel or a freehub wheel, both are
cheap and commonly available service parts. Yes a wheel with
an 8/9 cassette can fit the same frame. 10mm solid axles to
replace the hollow standard one are also available. Cassette
wheels in 26 decimal are available in both formats and with
both axles.

However even the very worst freewheels ( Falcon, DNB) are
not known for skipping from internal problems. I wonder if
you don't just need a new freewheel? 8 speed freewheels from
SunRace the new SunTour are good quality and not expensive.

You need a diagnosis and consultation with a competent
service shop.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org