Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

$99 700c department-store road bikes!!!

Started by Phil, Squid-in-Training · · Last activity · 44 posts · 1,914 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
3 April 2005
Last activity
8 April 2005
Original author
Phil, Squid-in-Training
Posts
44
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,914
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 44
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/rbt/rb1.jpg
    http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/rbt/rb2.jpg
    http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/rbt/rb3.jpg

    These were three pics I took with my phone camera. I happened to see these
    for a very quick second at the Target store in the Carrollwood area in
    Tampa, FL.

    Drop bars, aero brake levers, stem-mounted shifters (dunno if indexed or
    friction), 700c wheels (unconfirmed), and an aero fork. Frame material
    unknown. Women's style was $99.99. Not sure about the men's price.
    Quality seems to be slightly better than the average junker bike being sold
    there.

    Target denotes frame size by the approximate wheel size "appropriateness" -
    20" for adolescents, 24" for early teens, 26" for late teens and adults,
    hence the incorrectness.

    This is a big breakthrough in bikes... I'm elated to see road bikes that are
    affordable for the recreational rider. And before someone says "That's a
    bike-shaped object!" I'd like to point out that this will only ramp up the
    interest in road bikes, since when they come in with those bikes, we can
    point out the differences between those bikes and our bikes. Think of it as
    a $99 coupon for an entry level bike at an LBS.

    Any thoughts?

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  2. Phil said:

    http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/rbt/rb1.jpg
    http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/rbt/rb2.jpg
    http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/rbt/rb3.jpg

    These were three pics I took with my phone camera. I happened to see
    these for a very quick second at the Target store in the Carrollwood
    area in Tampa, FL.

    Drop bars, aero brake levers, stem-mounted shifters (dunno if indexed
    or friction), 700c wheels (unconfirmed), and an aero fork. Frame
    material unknown. Women's style was $99.99. Not sure about the
    men's price. Quality seems to be slightly better than the average
    junker bike being sold there.

    Target denotes frame size by the approximate wheel size
    "appropriateness" - 20" for adolescents, 24" for early teens, 26" for
    late teens and adults, hence the incorrectness.

    This is a big breakthrough in bikes... I'm elated to see road bikes
    that are affordable for the recreational rider. And before someone
    says "That's a bike-shaped object!" I'd like to point out that this
    will only ramp up the interest in road bikes, since when they come in
    with those bikes, we can point out the differences between those
    bikes and our bikes. Think of it as a $99 coupon for an entry level
    bike at an LBS.
    Any thoughts?

    By the way, Fogel, if you can find one, you have a new assignment. 😉
    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  3. --
    More of my mind dribblings: http://mind-dribble.blogspot.com/
    And my homepage: http://kcm-home.tripod.com/

    "Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    message news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/rbt/rb1.jpg
    http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/rbt/rb2.jpg
    http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/rbt/rb3.jpg

    These were three pics I took with my phone camera. I happened to see


    these

    Quoted message said:

    for a very quick second at the Target store in the Carrollwood area in
    Tampa, FL.

    Drop bars, aero brake levers, stem-mounted shifters (dunno if indexed or
    friction), 700c wheels (unconfirmed), and an aero fork. Frame material
    unknown. Women's style was $99.99. Not sure about the men's price.
    Quality seems to be slightly better than the average junker bike being


    sold

    Quoted message said:

    there.

    Target denotes frame size by the approximate wheel size


    "appropriateness" -

    Quoted message said:

    20" for adolescents, 24" for early teens, 26" for late teens and adults,
    hence the incorrectness.

    This is a big breakthrough in bikes... I'm elated to see road bikes that


    are

    Quoted message said:

    affordable for the recreational rider. And before someone says "That's a
    bike-shaped object!" I'd like to point out that this will only ramp up the
    interest in road bikes, since when they come in with those bikes, we can
    point out the differences between those bikes and our bikes. Think of it


    as

    Quoted message said:

    a $99 coupon for an entry level bike at an LBS.

    Any thoughts?

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

    Interesting, I haven't seen "road bikes" in the dept stores in a while. I
    might have to take a ride to the local Target and check them out. The
    K-Sears and the Wal-Marts down here in the Sarasota FL area only seem to
    have the MTB/ATB and the comfort cruisers for adults and the MTB/ATB and the
    BMX bikes for the kiddies. While the price is very low, I would expect the
    quality to be pretty low also. But like you say it may increase the
    interests in roadies again.

    Ken

    Quoted message said:
  4. Quoted message said:


    Any thoughts?

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

    Yup, I have thoughts. But let's not go there.

    Here's my addendum: a couple friends of mine found road bikes at Toys
    'R' Us for $99. They were decent enough- aluminum frames, Shimano Sora
    components, aluminum rims. They bought several once they determined
    that the bikes were size-appropriate (one size fits all... hah!).

    They rode them quite a bit, once the bikes were adjusted and the
    lowest-possible-price bottom brackets and headsets were replaced. Both
    the headset and BB appeared to be made out of machined plastic, with no
    bearings.

    I recall that one was entered in the local cyclocross series. It even
    survived the series and has been used as a parts donor for other
    projects.

    Jeff

  5. Quoted message said:


    Any thoughts?

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

    Yup, I have thoughts. But let's not go there.

    Here's my addendum: a couple friends of mine found road bikes at Toys
    'R' Us for $99. They were decent enough- aluminum frames, Shimano Sora
    components, aluminum rims. They bought several once they determined
    that the bikes were size-appropriate (one size fits all... hah!).

    They rode them quite a bit, once the bikes were adjusted and the
    lowest-possible-price bottom brackets and headsets were replaced. Both
    the headset and BB appeared to be made out of machined plastic, with no
    bearings.

    I recall that one was entered in the local cyclocross series. It even
    survived the series and has been used as a parts donor for other
    projects.

    Jeff

  6. Quoted message said:


    Any thoughts?

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

    Yup, I have thoughts. But let's not go there.

    Here's my addendum: a couple friends of mine found road bikes at Toys
    'R' Us for $99. They were decent enough- aluminum frames, Shimano Sora
    components, aluminum rims. They bought several once they determined
    that the bikes were size-appropriate (one size fits all... hah!).

    They rode them quite a bit, once the bikes were adjusted and the
    lowest-possible-price bottom brackets and headsets were replaced. Both
    the headset and BB appeared to be made out of machined plastic, with no
    bearings.

    I recall that one was entered in the local cyclocross series. It even
    survived the series and has been used as a parts donor for other
    projects.

    Jeff

  7. Quoted message said:


    Any thoughts?

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

    Yup, I have thoughts. But let's not go there.

    Here's my addendum: a couple friends of mine found road bikes at Toys
    'R' Us for $99. They were decent enough- aluminum frames, Shimano Sora
    components, aluminum rims. They bought several once they determined
    that the bikes were size-appropriate (one size fits all... hah!).

    They rode them quite a bit, once the bikes were adjusted and the
    lowest-possible-price bottom brackets and headsets were replaced. Both
    the headset and BB appeared to be made out of machined plastic, with no
    bearings.

    I recall that one was entered in the local cyclocross series. It even
    survived the series and has been used as a parts donor for other
    projects.

    Jeff

  8. On 3 Apr 2005 11:53:17 -0700, "JeffWills" <[email hidden]> wrote:
    ....

    Quoted message said:

    . Both
    the headset and BB appeared to be made out of machined plastic, with no
    bearings.


    is this true? or are you exagerrating for effect?
    ....thehick

  9. On 3 Apr 2005 11:53:17 -0700, "JeffWills" <[email hidden]> wrote:
    ....

    Quoted message said:

    . Both
    the headset and BB appeared to be made out of machined plastic, with no
    bearings.


    is this true? or are you exagerrating for effect?
    ....thehick

  10. On 3 Apr 2005 11:53:17 -0700, "JeffWills" <[email hidden]> wrote:
    ....

    Quoted message said:

    . Both
    the headset and BB appeared to be made out of machined plastic, with no
    bearings.


    is this true? or are you exagerrating for effect?
    ....thehick

  11. On 3 Apr 2005 11:53:17 -0700, "JeffWills" <[email hidden]> wrote:
    ....

    Quoted message said:

    . Both
    the headset and BB appeared to be made out of machined plastic, with no
    bearings.


    is this true? or are you exagerrating for effect?
    ....thehick

  12. "Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    message news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/rbt/rb1.jpg
    http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/rbt/rb2.jpg
    http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/rbt/rb3.jpg

    These were three pics I took with my phone camera. I happened to see


    these

    Quoted message said:

    for a very quick second at the Target store in the Carrollwood area in
    Tampa, FL.


    Alas, it must be a regional deal, related to the laws of "demand & supply" ,
    up there in the Tampa region, more riders demand road bikes and target feels
    the need to supply a few, but down here in the woods of Sarasota county
    Florida there are NO road bikes at the target stores. I just got back from a
    quick ride over there to check on this and none were to be had there.

    Ken "out in the woods" roadie rider.

  13. "frank-in-toronto" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On 3 Apr 2005 11:53:17 -0700, "JeffWills" <[email hidden]> wrote:
    ...

    Quoted message said:

    . Both
    the headset and BB appeared to be made out of machined plastic, with no
    bearings.


    is this true? or are you exagerrating for effect?
    ...thehick

    I wouldn't be at all surprised. I recently "rebuilt" a Wal-Mart kids bike
    (16" BMX-style) that had been rusting in the back yard since my older
    children had outgrown it. Ultimately, nothing was left apart from the
    frame. I was astonished to discover that the BB and HS were nothing more
    than nylon bushings. After giving the frame a nifty spray-can paint job,
    replacing the HS with a cheap but durable steel set, swapping out the BB and
    crankarm (along with its tack-welded stamped-steel chainwheel), chain, stem,
    bars, saddle, and tires, I ended up with a nice and durable little bike
    that's a favorite of visiting kids.

    I used mostly new parts -- inexpensive Pyramid-brand HS, BB, crank, and
    chainwheel, and the total cost of the project was around $50 or so. More
    than I paid for the bike in the first place!

  14. frank-in-toronto said:

    On 3 Apr 2005 11:53:17 -0700, "JeffWills" <[email hidden]>


    Quoted message said:

    ...

    Quoted message said:

    . Both
    the headset and BB appeared to be made out of machined plastic, with


    no

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    bearings.


    is this true? or are you exagerrating for effect?
    ...thehick

    If I'd been exaggerating, I would've said they were made out of cheese.

    I didn't see the items myself, but that's how they were described to
    me. You can trust that as far as you wish.

    Jeff

  15. frank-in-toronto said:

    On 3 Apr 2005 11:53:17 -0700, "JeffWills" <[email hidden]> wrote:
    ...

    Quoted message said:

    . Both
    the headset and BB appeared to be made out of machined plastic, with no
    bearings.


    is this true? or are you exagerrating for effect?

    Quite possible. I recall there being a solid nylon bearing on some brand
    of headset from the mid-to-late '70s. It wasn't really great, but it
    worked, since the headset did not have to move much. The "bearing" was a
    nylon doughnut that fit in where the ball bearings would be. Add some
    grease and it'll work.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | Let's not escape into mathematics. Let's stay with reality. --
    _`\(,_ | Michael Crichton
    (_)/ (_) |

  16. "frank-in-toronto" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On 3 Apr 2005 11:53:17 -0700, "JeffWills" <[email hidden]> wrote:
    ...

    Quoted message said:

    . Both
    the headset and BB appeared to be made out of machined plastic, with no
    bearings.


    is this true? or are you exagerrating for effect?
    ...thehick

    20 some years ago I designed and built fatigue test fixtures using Teflon
    bushings. I used them where the amount of motion was very small and keeping
    a bushing lubricated proved impossible. They are also used for tie rod ends
    and sway arms in cars for this reason. As I recall, we typically used no
    lubricant and the tech sheet that came with the bushings said that
    lubrication was only required of you wanted to prevent corrosion of parts
    other than the bushing. The only disadvantage that I recall was the low load
    capacity when compared to traditional bushing material. We were working with
    loads in the 20 kip range so this load limitation may not be a problem in
    bicycles. I would think that a properly selected "plastic" bushing would
    work fine as a low maintenance bicycle bushing though not as well as a
    roller or ball bearing.

    I doubt that a $99 bike has good quality bushings though.

  17. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    On 3 Apr 2005 11:53:17 -0700, "JeffWills" <[email hidden]> wrote:
    . Both
    the headset and BB appeared to be made out of machined plastic, with no
    bearings.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    "frank-in-toronto" <[email hidden]> wrote
    is this true? or are you exagerrating for effect?

    Dan said:

    20 some years ago I designed and built fatigue test fixtures using Teflon
    bushings. I used them where the amount of motion was very small and keeping
    a bushing lubricated proved impossible. They are also used for tie rod ends
    and sway arms in cars for this reason. As I recall, we typically used no
    lubricant and the tech sheet that came with the bushings said that
    lubrication was only required of you wanted to prevent corrosion of parts
    other than the bushing. The only disadvantage that I recall was the low load
    capacity when compared to traditional bushing material. We were working with
    loads in the 20 kip range so this load limitation may not be a problem in
    bicycles. I would think that a properly selected "plastic" bushing would
    work fine as a low maintenance bicycle bushing though not as well as a
    roller or ball bearing.

    I doubt that a $99 bike has good quality bushings though.

    One of our first mailorder products was the [in]famous
    Nylfor Headset of 1974- a nylon copy of a standard WHW
    headset and weighed only 37 grams ( vs #1039 Record at
    210g)[1].

    Nylfor headsets developed a detectable 'notch' after a long
    Sunday ride but magically un-deformed by the next morning. A
    later improvement was the option of 5/32" nylon balls from
    Harken Yacht - rustfree balls being desirable in a salt
    environment. We discovered that nylon balls are a standard
    high-volume item and not all that expensive. Somebody
    besides weight-weenie time triallists must buy them.

    Another example aluded to by David Johnson was a nylon torus
    supplied by TefSeal of Oklahoma City which replaced the
    3/16" balls of a #1029 Record. After the inevitable
    dimple-like erosion, that simple Teflon donut worked fine-
    and better dry than greased.

    So in my limited experience Teflon or nylon can be a
    suitable headset bearing material. Headsets don't generally
    spin. As long as the fork turns easily and doesn't rock they
    are all about the same.

    [1]I remember those numbers distincly from our Competitive
    Cycling ad
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org
    Open every day since 1 April, 1971

  18. "A Muzi" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >On 3 Apr 2005 11:53:17 -0700, "JeffWills" <[email hidden]> wrote:
    >. Both
    >the headset and BB appeared to be made out of machined plastic, with no
    >bearings.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    "frank-in-toronto" <[email hidden]> wrote
    is this true? or are you exagerrating for effect?

    Dan said:

    20 some years ago I designed and built fatigue test fixtures using


    Teflon

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    bushings. I used them where the amount of motion was very small and


    keeping

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    a bushing lubricated proved impossible. They are also used for tie rod


    ends

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    and sway arms in cars for this reason. As I recall, we typically used no
    lubricant and the tech sheet that came with the bushings said that
    lubrication was only required of you wanted to prevent corrosion of


    parts

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    other than the bushing. The only disadvantage that I recall was the low


    load

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    capacity when compared to traditional bushing material. We were working


    with

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    loads in the 20 kip range so this load limitation may not be a problem


    in

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    bicycles. I would think that a properly selected "plastic" bushing would
    work fine as a low maintenance bicycle bushing though not as well as a
    roller or ball bearing.

    I doubt that a $99 bike has good quality bushings though.

    One of our first mailorder products was the [in]famous
    Nylfor Headset of 1974- a nylon copy of a standard WHW
    headset and weighed only 37 grams ( vs #1039 Record at
    210g)[1].

    Nylfor headsets developed a detectable 'notch' after a long
    Sunday ride but magically un-deformed by the next morning. A
    later improvement was the option of 5/32" nylon balls from
    Harken Yacht - rustfree balls being desirable in a salt
    environment. We discovered that nylon balls are a standard
    high-volume item and not all that expensive. Somebody
    besides weight-weenie time triallists must buy them.

    Another example aluded to by David Johnson was a nylon torus
    supplied by TefSeal of Oklahoma City which replaced the
    3/16" balls of a #1029 Record. After the inevitable
    dimple-like erosion, that simple Teflon donut worked fine-
    and better dry than greased.

    So in my limited experience Teflon or nylon can be a
    suitable headset bearing material. Headsets don't generally
    spin. As long as the fork turns easily and doesn't rock they
    are all about the same.

    [1]I remember those numbers distincly from our Competitive
    Cycling ad
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org
    Open every day since 1 April, 1971

    It sounds like everything has been tried in bicycles. I think a Teflon
    or even nylon bushing would make a good headset if properly designed.
    I still want ball bearings in the drive train though. The bushings that I
    used
    really impressed me. The parts would only rotate a degree or two and
    metal bushings would only last a few cycles until the grease squeezed
    out. Since the load was reversing, they and everything else would then be
    pounded to smithereens. 20,000 lbs can do a lot of pounding at 1 cps.
    The first set of Teflon bushings that I used never did wear out. I
    used them in a series of tests each of which were something like 1.5
    million cycles. They are probably still fine and might be in the scrap heap
    wrapped around rusty shafts.

  19. Squid-in-Training said:

    This is a big breakthrough in bikes... I'm elated to see road bikes that are
    affordable for the recreational rider. And before someone says "That's a
    bike-shaped object!" I'd like to point out that this will only ramp up the
    interest in road bikes, since when they come in with those bikes, we can
    point out the differences between those bikes and our bikes. Think of it as
    a $99 coupon for an entry level bike at an LBS.

    Any thoughts?

    I have mixed feelings about it. Road bikes appeal to a limited number
    of informed people, but if they're informed, this bike is not terribly
    likely to engender much interest one way or the other. OTOH, if the
    bike's basic ride qualities are not too bad, and if it gets bought by
    someone who's a reasonable fit for the frame and who really wants and
    can enjoy a road bike, then I agree that it provides an entry-level
    (well, sub-basement-level, really) point for a potential road cyclist
    to get into the game. The main drawback I see is the same one that
    was an issue in the '70s; many of the people who buy one of these
    beause it looks fast and racy will ride it just long enough to
    discover that they despise the position or simply can't tolerate it,
    and then park it until it goes out to the garage sale. Of course, the
    same holds true for any other kind of bike, too. The principal up
    side that I see is that this opens a path to a new road bike for an
    established other-bike-type cyclist with a limited budget. The only
    other affordable path is via used bikes, and that market can be rather
    tricky at times.
    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
    Some gardening required to reply via email.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

  20. Werehatrack said:

    On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 17:54:23 GMT, "Phil, Squid-in-Training"
    <[email hidden]> wrote:

    The principal up
    side that I see is that this opens a path to a new road bike for an
    established other-bike-type cyclist with a limited budget. The only
    other affordable path is via used bikes, and that market can be


    rather

    Quoted message said:

    tricky at times.

    You're looking at this all wrong. The people who buy these bikes will
    never ride them. In a year or 2 they'll start showing up curbside,
    causing "false alarms" for us scavengers until we recognize all the
    makes/models. Ideally,
    people-who-are-never-going-to-ride-the-bike-they-just-bought should
    spend at least enough to supply us with parts for our beaters, that
    would be the only possible "up side".

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.