Road Cycling · Public discussion

99.9% of cyclists

Started by river college · · Last activity · 30 posts · 605 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
19 January 2006
Last activity
5 February 2006
Original author
river college
Posts
30
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
605
Views / 30 days
4

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 30
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. 99.9% of cyclists do not ride in the bike lane that's why they become
    part of the road.

  2. river college said:

    99.9% of cyclists do not ride in the bike lane that's why they become
    part of the road.

    So true, but don't you mean 'one with the road'? Kinda Zen.

    Good of you to notice that most roads do not have bike lanes, they
    are a pain lots of the time anyway. Wide lanes and wide shoulders are
    much better than designated bike lanes, I agree 100% (a 0.1%
    improvement over your statistic, by the way).

    Indiana Mike

  3. Mike Rice said:
    river college said:

    99.9% of cyclists do not ride in the bike lane that's why they become
    part of the road.

    So true, but don't you mean 'one with the road'? Kinda Zen.

    Good of you to notice that most roads do not have bike lanes, they
    are a pain lots of the time anyway. Wide lanes and wide shoulders are
    much better than designated bike lanes, I agree 100% (a 0.1%
    improvement over your statistic, by the way).

    Indiana Mike

    Perhaps he meant that, because 99.9% of cyclists don't use them for
    their intended purpose, the bike lanes "become part of the road" to be
    used for parking motor vehicles.

    Regards,
    Bob Hunt

  4. "Bob" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:
    Mike Rice said:
    river college said:

    99.9% of cyclists do not ride in the bike lane that's why they
    become part of the road.

    So true, but don't you mean 'one with the road'? Kinda Zen.

    Good of you to notice that most roads do not have bike lanes, they
    are a pain lots of the time anyway. Wide lanes and wide shoulders are
    much better than designated bike lanes, I agree 100% (a 0.1%
    improvement over your statistic, by the way).

    Indiana Mike

    Perhaps he meant that, because 99.9% of cyclists don't use them for
    their intended purpose, the bike lanes "become part of the road" to be
    used for parking motor vehicles.

    Regards,
    Bob Hunt

    I agree with Bob, about class 2 bike lanes being a pain.

    The cyclist is forced to ride in an area frequented by parked cars.
    When a cyclist passes a parked car he is forced to ride in the dreaded
    "DOOR ZONE."
    Every driveway becomes an intersection.
    A white line offers no real protection from moving vehicles.

    Drivers of cars see the white line as limit to the area a bicycle can be
    operated within and as evidence that they then own the road.

    Get out there and take back the streets; cyclists have all the rights
    and responsibilities of the operators of motor vehicles.

    Rich

  5. Mike Rice said:
    river college said:

    99.9% of cyclists do not ride in the bike lane that's why they become
    part of the road.

    So true, but don't you mean

    Part of the as in roadkill . ride the bike in the bike ln. or as far to

    right as can get or become roadkill/part of the road ever time i
    drive by a [censored] biker i blow my horn hopeing they will cut
    me off so i can run them over with 18 wheels.

    I love to blow my horn at ass bikers horn HOHOHO MERRY CHRISTMAS.

  6. "river college" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    99.9% of cyclists do not ride in the bike lane that's why they become
    part of the road.

    What saddens me is the level of bicycle education. When I was younger, a
    bicycle education seminar was virtually mandatory in Illinois. What a shock
    to move to Missouri and discover people riding against the traffic! Now
    they do it all the time here in Illinois, too.

    There aren't a lot of bike lanes up here either, and there just is not a lot
    of room for bikes with several million cars on the road every morning. I'm
    within riding distance of work now, so I need to get a bike I can ride. I
    can no longer safely get my leg over the bar on the faithful 1979 Schwinn
    Suburban because I broke my hip some years ago. I've lost a bit of height
    as I've gotten older. I was 22 at the time I bought it and it's a 23 inch
    frame. Sounds like an upcoming spring project.

    Charles of Schaumburg

  7. river college said:
    Mike Rice said:
    river college said:

    99.9% of cyclists do not ride in the bike lane that's why they become
    part of the road.

    So true, but don't you mean

    Part of the as in roadkill . ride the bike in the bike ln. or as far to

    Isn't that special. A troll who has to explain what he meant because
    he couldn't understand the sarcasm in the other posts.

    As Dean Wormer from Faber College said, "Fat, drunk, and stupid is no
    way to go through life, son."

    R

  8. "river college" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:


    Mike Rice said:
    river college said:

    99.9% of cyclists do not ride in the bike lane that's why they
    become part of the road.

    So true, but don't you mean

    Part of the as in roadkill . ride the bike in the bike ln. or as
    far to

    right as can get or become roadkill/part of the road ever time i
    drive by a [censored] biker i blow my horn hopeing they will cut
    me off so i can run them over with 18 wheels.

    I love to blow my horn at ass bikers horn HOHOHO MERRY CHRISTMAS.

    I'm not exactly sure what you're saying - not very clear use of the
    English language.

    But, I'm glad to see you notice my ass (someone has to, I guess), but
    I'm not that way. I like girls.

    Thanks for the consideration, though.

    --
    Eric Babula

  9. river college trolled:

    Quoted message said:

    HOHOHO MERRY CHRISTMAS.

    No auto groups: -9 points
    No irrelevant groups: -5 points
    No mention of helmets: -7 points
    Inability to get point across: +3 points
    Posted more than initial post: +8 points
    Mentioned cyclists as roadkill: +4 points
    Mentioned self as 18-wheeler: +3 points
    Can't use calendar: -19 points
    Got 8 replies (so far): +8 points

    Negative 14 points on the Austin Troll Scale.

    Better brush up on your technique.

    Austin

  10. "Eric Babula" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    But, I'm glad to see you notice my ass (someone has to, I guess),

    Post a picture for us girls to see. There hasn't been any beefcake around
    here since that video of Rick Onanian's bare legs.

    --
    Warm Regards,

    --
    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky
    http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/
    Sponsor me for the Big Climb! See: www.active.com/donate/cpetersky06
    See the books I've set free at: http://bookcrossing.com/referral/Cpetersky

  11. "river college" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    99.9% of cyclists do not ride in the bike lane that's why they become
    part of the road.

    Actually, where I live, White Plains, NY, the bike routes are clearly
    designed to kill cyclists. When I had the unfortunate experience of becoming
    "part of the road" I was on the official bike route. I (mistakenly) felt
    safe because I was on the official route. Now that the accident has made me
    a bit saner, I realize just how bad the bike route really is.

    Give me a bike route that actually protects me and I will ride in it. For
    the time being, however, I am going to stay as far away from the bike route
    as I can. At least that way I'll be safe (well, safer).

    Jeff

  12. Jeff Grippe said:

    "river college" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    99.9% of cyclists do not ride in the bike lane that's why they become
    part of the road.

    Actually, where I live, White Plains, NY, the bike routes are clearly
    designed to kill cyclists. When I had the unfortunate experience of becoming
    "part of the road" I was on the official bike route. I (mistakenly) felt
    safe because I was on the official route. Now that the accident has made me
    a bit saner, I realize just how bad the bike route really is.

    Give me a bike route that actually protects me and I will ride in it. For
    the time being, however, I am going to stay as far away from the bike route
    as I can. At least that way I'll be safe (well, safer).

    What are you referring to? I rode in southern Westchester for ~15 years
    and don't remember any official routes. Is this something new?

    Of course the is the heavy traffic associated with densly populated
    areas but I actually found the entire White Plains area not too bad and
    riding out Rte 22 north was quite nice.

  13. Have you ever tried getting out of that 18 wheeler and confronting the
    cyclist face to face, you know, man to man? That might be fun. Of
    course doing so could have it's down side. Without the protection of
    tons of steel wrapped around you, the cyclist might just kick your ass
    to hell and back!

  14. "Charles" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:


    "river college" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    99.9% of cyclists do not ride in the bike lane that's why they become
    part of the road.

    What saddens me is the level of bicycle education. When I was
    younger, a bicycle education seminar was virtually mandatory in
    Illinois. What a shock to move to Missouri and discover people riding
    against the traffic! Now they do it all the time here in Illinois,
    too.

    There aren't a lot of bike lanes up here either, and there just is not
    a lot of room for bikes with several million cars on the road every
    morning. I'm within riding distance of work now, so I need to get a
    bike I can ride. I can no longer safely get my leg over the bar on
    the faithful 1979 Schwinn Suburban because I broke my hip some years
    ago. I've lost a bit of height as I've gotten older. I was 22 at
    the time I bought it and it's a 23 inch frame. Sounds like an
    upcoming spring project.

    Charles of Schaumburg

    This reminds me of an article, "Invisible Riders", in Bicycling
    magazine, December 2005 (pg 46).

    The article deals with the population of bicycle riders who must use
    their bikes to go to work every day, sleet and snow, rain or shine;
    these are mainly illegal aliens. It appears that riding on sidewalks
    and against traffic is the cultural norm in Central American
    countries and is considered safe.

    I continually see these cyclists on the wrong side of the road on my
    daily commute and it is true that nearly all of them appear to be of
    Latin American descent. On the occasion when I have stopped to offer
    help to fix a flat or make a repair they seem know little English.

    Rich

  15. "gds" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Jeff Grippe said:

    "river college" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    99.9% of cyclists do not ride in the bike lane that's why they become
    part of the road.

    Actually, where I live, White Plains, NY, the bike routes are clearly
    designed to kill cyclists. When I had the unfortunate experience of
    becoming
    "part of the road" I was on the official bike route. I (mistakenly) felt
    safe because I was on the official route. Now that the accident has made
    me
    a bit saner, I realize just how bad the bike route really is.

    Give me a bike route that actually protects me and I will ride in it. For
    the time being, however, I am going to stay as far away from the bike
    route
    as I can. At least that way I'll be safe (well, safer).

    What are you referring to? I rode in southern Westchester for ~15 years
    and don't remember any official routes. Is this something new?

    Of course the is the heavy traffic associated with densly populated
    areas but I actually found the entire White Plains area not too bad and
    riding out Rte 22 north was quite nice.

    Pay attention when you hit the White Plains city limits. You will see green
    "Bike Route" signs all over the place with arrows showing you which way to
    go. When I give you some examples you will understand.

    1. Bloomingdale Road.

    No shoulder. The direct pathway to two malls. The indirect pathway to two
    other malls. A direct route to I287. Heavily trafficked.

    2. Mamaroneck Avenue South of Bryant Avenue

    A shoulder for most of it but there are gaps. It was in just such a gap that
    I had my encounter.

    3. Westchester Avenue

    Same problems as Bloomingdale road but even more traffic. 3 (and sometimes
    4) lanes in each direction. Is this a place for bicycles?

    There are bike route signs all over White Plains and from a shoulder /
    traffic point of view they are consistently on the worst roads.

    Regarding 22 North, It is a beautiful road and I've ridden it many times.
    The club rides seem to like it quite a bit as I've often seen them. Riding
    in a group of 10-20 is a lot safer than riding alone, however. When you ride
    alone I would stay off of 22. It is heavily trafficked and for most of it
    there is no shoulder.

    When I was hit I was on my way home from the train station. I had been
    riding to and from the train station since May (I was hit at the end of
    October) and I felt good about the whole thing. I enjoyed the riding. I kept
    one car off the road. And finally, I was using the official bike route which
    gave me a feeling of being safe.

    Take a drive around White Plains and you will see the signs. At almost every
    one you will have to ask yourself "What were they thinking?"

    Jeff

  16. Claire Petersky wrote:

    ("Eric Babula" wrote):

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    But, I'm glad to see you notice my ass (someone has to, I guess),

    (Claire P. responded):

    Quoted message said:

    Post a picture for us girls to see. There hasn't been any beefcake around
    here since that video of Rick Onanian's bare legs.

    OK, beefsteak:
    http://www.robertlindstrom.com/news.php?p=10 --D-y

  17. "Claire Petersky" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    "Eric Babula" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    But, I'm glad to see you notice my ass (someone has to, I guess),

    Post a picture for us girls to see. There hasn't been any beefcake
    around here since that video of Rick Onanian's bare legs.

    Sorry Claire - I don't make it a habit of taking pictures of my ass.
    LOL! I'm pretty sure I don't have any pictures like that.

    I'll see what I can do for ya, though, Claire! ;-)

    --
    Eric Babula
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention
    of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body.
    But rather, it’s to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up,
    totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a ride!!!'

  18. Jeff Grippe said:

    "gds" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Jeff Grippe said:

    "river college" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    > 99.9% of cyclists do not ride in the bike lane that's why they become
    > part of the road.
    >

    Actually, where I live, White Plains, NY, the bike routes are clearly
    designed to kill cyclists. When I had the unfortunate experience of
    becoming
    "part of the road" I was on the official bike route. I (mistakenly) felt
    safe because I was on the official route. Now that the accident has made
    me
    a bit saner, I realize just how bad the bike route really is.

    Give me a bike route that actually protects me and I will ride in it. For
    the time being, however, I am going to stay as far away from the bike
    route
    as I can. At least that way I'll be safe (well, safer).

    What are you referring to? I rode in southern Westchester for ~15 years
    and don't remember any official routes. Is this something new?

    Of course the is the heavy traffic associated with densly populated
    areas but I actually found the entire White Plains area not too bad and
    riding out Rte 22 north was quite nice.

    Pay attention when you hit the White Plains city limits. You will see green
    "Bike Route" signs all over the place with arrows showing you which way to
    go. When I give you some examples you will understand.

    1. Bloomingdale Road.

    No shoulder. The direct pathway to two malls. The indirect pathway to two
    other malls. A direct route to I287. Heavily trafficked.

    2. Mamaroneck Avenue South of Bryant Avenue

    A shoulder for most of it but there are gaps. It was in just such a gap that
    I had my encounter.

    3. Westchester Avenue

    Same problems as Bloomingdale road but even more traffic. 3 (and sometimes
    4) lanes in each direction. Is this a place for bicycles?

    There are bike route signs all over White Plains and from a shoulder /
    traffic point of view they are consistently on the worst roads.

    Regarding 22 North, It is a beautiful road and I've ridden it many times.
    The club rides seem to like it quite a bit as I've often seen them. Riding
    in a group of 10-20 is a lot safer than riding alone, however. When you ride
    alone I would stay off of 22. It is heavily trafficked and for most of it
    there is no shoulder.

    When I was hit I was on my way home from the train station. I had been
    riding to and from the train station since May (I was hit at the end of
    October) and I felt good about the whole thing. I enjoyed the riding. I kept
    one car off the road. And finally, I was using the official bike route which
    gave me a feeling of being safe.

    Take a drive around White Plains and you will see the signs. At almost every
    one you will have to ask yourself "What were they thinking?"

    Jeff

    someone needs a NAP and STARBUCKS

  19. Jeff Grippe said:

    "gds" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Jeff Grippe said:

    "river college" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    > 99.9% of cyclists do not ride in the bike lane that's why they become
    > part of the road.
    >

    Actually, where I live, White Plains, NY, the bike routes are clearly
    designed to kill cyclists. When I had the unfortunate experience of
    becoming
    "part of the road" I was on the official bike route. I (mistakenly) felt
    safe because I was on the official route. Now that the accident has made
    me
    a bit saner, I realize just how bad the bike route really is.

    Give me a bike route that actually protects me and I will ride in it. For
    the time being, however, I am going to stay as far away from the bike
    route
    as I can. At least that way I'll be safe (well, safer).

    What are you referring to? I rode in southern Westchester for ~15 years
    and don't remember any official routes. Is this something new?

    Of course the is the heavy traffic associated with densly populated
    areas but I actually found the entire White Plains area not too bad and
    riding out Rte 22 north was quite nice.

    Pay attention when you hit the White Plains city limits. You will see green
    "Bike Route" signs all over the place with arrows showing you which way to
    go. When I give you some examples you will understand.

    1. Bloomingdale Road.

    No shoulder. The direct pathway to two malls. The indirect pathway to two
    other malls. A direct route to I287. Heavily trafficked.

    2. Mamaroneck Avenue South of Bryant Avenue

    A shoulder for most of it but there are gaps. It was in just such a gap that
    I had my encounter.

    3. Westchester Avenue

    Same problems as Bloomingdale road but even more traffic. 3 (and sometimes
    4) lanes in each direction. Is this a place for bicycles?

    There are bike route signs all over White Plains and from a shoulder /
    traffic point of view they are consistently on the worst roads.

    Regarding 22 North, It is a beautiful road and I've ridden it many times.
    The club rides seem to like it quite a bit as I've often seen them. Riding
    in a group of 10-20 is a lot safer than riding alone, however. When you ride
    alone I would stay off of 22. It is heavily trafficked and for most of it
    there is no shoulder.

    When I was hit I was on my way home from the train station. I had been
    riding to and from the train station since May (I was hit at the end of
    October) and I felt good about the whole thing. I enjoyed the riding. I kept
    one car off the road. And finally, I was using the official bike route which
    gave me a feeling of being safe.

    Take a drive around White Plains and you will see the signs. At almost every
    one you will have to ask yourself "What were they thinking?"

    Thanks for the reply! Ihaven't lived in Westchester nor ridden there
    much since 1993, so I imagine that traffic patterns have changed as
    development has increased. In the 80's and early 90's I rode on all
    the roads you mentioned and found little problem. Of course, it m ay
    also have to do with time of day and other factors. It sounds like you
    are commuting which would put you in peak traffic times.

    Regarding Re 22 North. It is a great road for riding. To be honest I
    don't remember the shoulder situation but I rode it often and enjoyed
    it. Long flat sections. rollers and furhter north some climbing made
    for fun rides. I think lots of the local clubs used it a lot- mine did
    for sure.

    In any case southern Westchester is great riding (as soon as it warms
    up;-) )

  20. Jeff Grippe said:

    "gds" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Jeff Grippe said:

    "river college" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    > 99.9% of cyclists do not ride in the bike lane that's why they become
    > part of the road.
    >

    Actually, where I live, White Plains, NY, the bike routes are clearly
    designed to kill cyclists. When I had the unfortunate experience of
    becoming
    "part of the road" I was on the official bike route. I (mistakenly) felt
    safe because I was on the official route. Now that the accident has made
    me
    a bit saner, I realize just how bad the bike route really is.

    Give me a bike route that actually protects me and I will ride in it. For
    the time being, however, I am going to stay as far away from the bike
    route
    as I can. At least that way I'll be safe (well, safer).

    What are you referring to? I rode in southern Westchester for ~15 years
    and don't remember any official routes. Is this something new?

    Of course the is the heavy traffic associated with densly populated
    areas but I actually found the entire White Plains area not too bad and
    riding out Rte 22 north was quite nice.

    Pay attention when you hit the White Plains city limits. You will see green
    "Bike Route" signs all over the place with arrows showing you which way to
    go. When I give you some examples you will understand.

    1. Bloomingdale Road.

    No shoulder. The direct pathway to two malls. The indirect pathway to two
    other malls. A direct route to I287. Heavily trafficked.

    2. Mamaroneck Avenue South of Bryant Avenue

    A shoulder for most of it but there are gaps. It was in just such a gap that
    I had my encounter.

    3. Westchester Avenue

    Same problems as Bloomingdale road but even more traffic. 3 (and sometimes
    4) lanes in each direction. Is this a place for bicycles?

    There are bike route signs all over White Plains and from a shoulder /
    traffic point of view they are consistently on the worst roads.

    Regarding 22 North, It is a beautiful road and I've ridden it many times.
    The club rides seem to like it quite a bit as I've often seen them. Riding
    in a group of 10-20 is a lot safer than riding alone, however. When you ride
    alone I would stay off of 22. It is heavily trafficked and for most of it
    there is no shoulder.

    When I was hit I was on my way home from the train station. I had been
    riding to and from the train station since May (I was hit at the end of
    October) and I felt good about the whole thing. I enjoyed the riding. I kept
    one car off the road. And finally, I was using the official bike route which
    gave me a feeling of being safe.

    Take a drive around White Plains and you will see the signs. At almost every
    one you will have to ask yourself "What were they thinking?"

    Thanks for the reply! Ihaven't lived in Westchester nor ridden there
    much since 1993, so I imagine that traffic patterns have changed as
    development has increased. In the 80's and early 90's I rode on all
    the roads you mentioned and found little problem. Of course, it m ay
    also have to do with time of day and other factors. It sounds like you
    are commuting which would put you in peak traffic times.

    Regarding Re 22 North. It is a great road for riding. To be honest I
    don't remember the shoulder situation but I rode it often and enjoyed
    it. Long flat sections. rollers and furhter north some climbing made
    for fun rides. I think lots of the local clubs used it a lot- mine did
    for sure.

    In any case southern Westchester is great riding (as soon as it warms
    up;-) )

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.