UK and Europe · Public discussion

A bad day for cycling

Started by Creature · · Last activity · 14 posts · 270 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
20 March 2007
Last activity
22 March 2007
Original author
Creature
Posts
14
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
270
Views / 30 days
7

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–14 of 14
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Today was not the best day for cycling.

    Cycling in this morning around 10AM, and I'm going along a fairly wide
    road with a bus/cycle lane on one side. I'm in the primary position in the
    cycle lane, about a foot to the left of the white line separating the
    cycle lane from the main carriageway. A bus driver pulls to a stop at a
    give-way junction 20-30 metres ahead. He looks at me, then looks left,
    then looks right at me again. Then he starts to pull out even though I'm
    right in front of his bus by now. Cue swerving and swearing from me.

    Coming home along the same stretch of road this evening, and I'm sitting
    at a stop in front of some traffic lights in the corresponding bus/cycle
    lane on the other side of the road. The lights are red, and I'd been
    sitting there for about 10 second when a car comes up fast on my right,
    skidding to a halt and travelling about a car's length through the red
    light. Fortunately the schoolchildren crossing hadn't got to this side of
    the road yet otherwise he would have hit them. The driver had a map in
    his hand so I presume he was reading the map instead of watching the road.
    I was perfectly safe, but if I'd been in the road instead of the bus lane
    he'd have hit me hard from behind.

    To top it off just as I'm getting into the last 500 metres of my cycle
    home my chain snapped. No idea why; I've only done about 700 miles on the
    bike, and I got it at the end of November. The only thing I can think of
    is that my rear derailleur has been a bit iffy lately. I was planning to
    adjust it tonight after riding home - I thought I could do it outside
    before setting off, but it was cold so I decided I could do the 2 miles
    home first before tweaking it so I could do it in the warm. Fortunately my
    LBS was quite close by to where it snapped, and they stuck a new link in
    the chain and adjusted the gears for a tenner there and then. Of course,
    by the time it had been fixed it had started snowing, so I got to do the
    last leg of my journey through sleet. Urgh.

    --
    Alex Pounds (Creature) .~. http://www.alexpounds.com/
    /V\ http://www.ethicsgirls.com/
    // \\
    "Variables won't; Constants aren't" /( )\
    ^`~'^

  2. "Creature" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    by the time it had been fixed it had started snowing, so I got to do the
    last leg of my journey through sleet. Urgh.

    Altogether it sounds like you had a few near misses with the other traffic
    and luck was on your side. I had a few hailstones to contend with myself
    today (fortunately near home also). At least the contentious item I was
    wearing on my head at the time took the brunt of most of it (along with my
    cycling specs).

    Paul M


  3. Quoted message said:

    LBS was quite close by to where it snapped, and they stuck a new link in
    the chain and adjusted the gears for a tenner there and then. Of course,

    9 or 10 speed chain no doubt.I don't think they need a reason.
    I never snapped an 8 speed.

    TeryJ

  4. TerryJ said:

    9 or 10 speed chain no doubt.I don't think they need a reason.
    I never snapped an 8 speed.

    Actually, no. Wrong on all numbers! I think I've got a 7 speed cassette,
    so presumably I've got the chain to go with it.

    (There will now be a short intermission while I count the number of
    sprockets on my cassette).

    Yep, 7 speed.

    --
    Alex Pounds (Creature) .~. http://www.alexpounds.com/
    /V\ http://www.ethicsgirls.com/
    // \\
    "Variables won't; Constants aren't" /( )\
    ^`~'^


  5. Quoted message said:

    Yep, 7 speed.

    Well. you must have phenomenal legs or, as you suggested, a fault
    somewhere.I am still running 7 speed on two bikes and recently changed
    a chain (£5 sram) that was missing 4 pulley wheels it was that worn
    but still didn' t break.
    TerryJ

  6. "TerryJ" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    9 or 10 speed chain no doubt.I don't think they need a reason.
    I never snapped an 8 speed.

    I once snapped a chain on a 6 speed bike trying to go up a very short steep
    hill. I removed the sheared off link and connected it onto the next good
    one and the chain lasted another year until I ditched the bike!
    --
    peter

    Cheap train tickets database
    http://www.petereverett.co.uk/tickets/

    Email sent to this address is generally deleted upon arrival
    Visit website if you want to contact me

  7. naked_draughtsman said:

    "TerryJ" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    9 or 10 speed chain no doubt.I don't think they need a reason.
    I never snapped an 8 speed.

    I once snapped a chain on a 6 speed bike trying to go up a very short steep
    hill. I removed the sheared off link and connected it onto the next good
    one and the chain lasted another year until I ditched the bike!

    I've not had a problem recently <touches MDF pretend wood hotel room
    desk>, but I also always carry a pin extractor, short section of spare
    chain (about 4 links) and a couple of SRAM powerlinks. The chain and
    powerlinks fit into my puncture repair outfit box so take zero extra
    room. There are some things you can bodge on a bike to get you home, but
    a broken chain or badly damaged rear derailleur will leave you walking
    unless you've got the right tools. For the weight and space they take up
    I wouldn't be without them.

    Matt

  8. Creature said:

    Today was not the best day for cycling.

    I had an amusing encounter with a YVM (Yellow Van Man) last night.
    He was having to reverse to let a car past the other way as the street
    was made very narrow by parked cars, so I slipped past both van and
    car and made my way up the hill. Once YVM got past the car he was
    forced to follow me slowly up the hill coz there was no room to pass.
    I could hear by the way he was driving that something was going to
    happen and expected some kind of abuse.
    T junction at top of hill I need to turn right so assume central
    position, but YVM is determined to overtake so he ends up to right of
    me, wrong side of road, blocking junction for anyone wanting to turn
    in, despite clearly wanting to go left as he has left indicator on.
    I hear shout from in van and assume abuse. But then he says "good
    lights you've got there mate. I would have run you over back there if
    I hadn't seen them". Me - "err, yes that's why I've got them!". Then
    he finally twigs and says "are you turning right?". So I go right and
    he goes left (from right).
    Just made me smile.

  9. TerryJ said:
    Quoted message said:

    Yep, 7 speed.

    Well. you must have phenomenal legs or, as you suggested, a fault
    somewhere.I am still running 7 speed on two bikes and recently changed
    a chain (£5 sram) that was missing 4 pulley wheels it was that worn
    but still didn' t break.
    TerryJ

    before i took my old mountain bike into the local bike shop, to have it
    changed from a mud plugger into a road zipper. its cassette was so badly
    worn it was snapping chains within a few turns. slip slip snap...

    but it was impressivly worn!

    roger

  10. in message <[email hidden]>, TerryJ

    (') said:


    Quoted message said:

    Yep, 7 speed.

    Well. you must have phenomenal legs or, as you suggested, a fault
    somewhere.I am still running 7 speed on two bikes and recently changed
    a chain (£5 sram) that was missing 4 pulley wheels it was that worn
    but still didn' t break.

    He said his derailleur had been running rough for a few days - probably a
    stuck or damaged link.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/
    ; gif ye hes forget our auld plane Scottis quhilk your mother lerit you,
    ; in tymes cuming I sall wryte to you my mind in Latin, for I am nocht
    ; acquyntit with your Southeron
    ;; Letter frae Ninian Winyet tae John Knox datit 27t October 1563

  11. On 20/03/2007 23:22, Matthew Haigh said,

    Quoted message said:

    There are some things you can bodge on a bike to get you home, but
    a broken chain or badly damaged rear derailleur will leave you walking
    unless you've got the right tools.

    On my MTB, I carry much the same as you, on the basis that if I smack my
    derailleur on a rock, I can turn the bike into a single speed to get
    back to base. If I was /really/ prepared, I would have two Powerlinks
    in the chain, so I could remove a pre-determined length of chain quickly!

    I haven't tried this in practise yet :-)

    --
    Paul Boyd
    http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

  12. On 21/03/2007 08:35, POHB said,

    Quoted message said:

    T junction at top of hill I need to turn right so assume central
    position, but YVM is determined to overtake so he ends up to right of
    me, wrong side of road, blocking junction for anyone wanting to turn
    in, despite clearly wanting to go left as he has left indicator on.
    I hear shout from in van and assume abuse. But then he says "good
    lights you've got there mate. I would have run you over back there if
    I hadn't seen them". Me - "err, yes that's why I've got them!". Then
    he finally twigs and says "are you turning right?". So I go right and
    he goes left (from right).

    Well, I have to say that's different!

    --
    Paul Boyd
    http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

  13. Simon Brooke said:

    He said his derailleur had been running rough for a few days - probably a
    stuck or damaged link.

    Possibly. The rear derailleur changing-arm (I'm not sure of the
    proper name - hanger, perhaps?) has been out of alignment, so that if I
    was in (say) gear 4 it wouldn't sit directly below the 4th sprocket. I can
    imagine how this could lead to a breakage - any torque applied wouldn't be
    applied evenly to the chain link, causing it to skew and thus to break.

    But this is just guesswork.

    --
    Alex Pounds (Creature) .~. http://www.alexpounds.com/
    /V\ http://www.ethicsgirls.com/
    // \\
    "Variables won't; Constants aren't" /( )\
    ^`~'^

  14. Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as Creature
    <[email hidden]> gently breathed:

    Quoted message said:

    To top it off just as I'm getting into the last 500 metres of my cycle
    home my chain snapped. No idea why; I've only done about 700 miles on the
    bike, and I got it at the end of November. The only thing I can think of
    is that my rear derailleur has been a bit iffy lately. I was planning to
    adjust it tonight after riding home - I thought I could do it outside
    before setting off, but it was cold so I decided I could do the 2 miles
    home first before tweaking it so I could do it in the warm. Fortunately my
    LBS was quite close by to where it snapped, and they stuck a new link in
    the chain and adjusted the gears for a tenner there and then. Of course,
    by the time it had been fixed it had started snowing, so I got to do the
    last leg of my journey through sleet. Urgh.

    Nice - not. Commiserations on the chain. One of the many reasons I
    like my Gazelle is the hub gearing - chain sits straight and neat in the
    same place all the time, protected from road-muck by the chaincase. I
    suspect most here would balk at the weight though.

    Map-reading-muppet just goes to show it's not only satnav and mobile
    phones that people can use stupidly on the road. I've passed trucks on
    the motorway where the drivers have a map spread out on their steering
    wheels - scary.

    --
    - DJ Pyromancer, Black Sheep, Leeds. <http://www.sheepish.net>

    Broadband, Dialup, Domains = <http://www.wytches.net> = The UK's Pagan ISP!
    <http://www.inkubus-sukkubus.co.uk> <http://www.revival.stormshadow.com>

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.