Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

A Brooks B17 & a Salsa Shaft

Started by Bob Comiskey · · Last activity · 12 posts · 647 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
18 October 2003
Last activity
21 October 2003
Original author
Bob Comiskey
Posts
12
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
647
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–12 of 12
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I am currently breaking in a Brooks B17 Champion model. It's a little wider that the Avocet O2 it
    replaced, and it's not uncomfortable even brand new.

    I bought this saddle after trying a few saddles in the last ten years; I could ride on all of them,
    but none of them ever really "disappeared." There was always something that would bother me on a
    long ride.

    My first derailer bike was a Raleigh Grand Prix, 1974, with a B17. I have no memory of that saddle
    ever being a problem. I didn't maintain it, I just rode it until the sides flared out. then I
    punched holes in the sides and laced it tight to pull 'em back in.

    So I am trying a B17 again, hoping to revisit the comfortable days of my youth.

    I replaced my one-bolt Shimano 600EX post with the Salsa, and I am loving it. It has separate
    adjustments for the tilt and lateral position, and it's easy to make very fine tilt adjustments;
    there is a cam with hex hole in it, and you use a 5mm allen wrench as a lever to change the tilt.
    This is so easy compared to the single bolt post.

    The post has "Salsa" etched along the sides, and I guess I don't have my post up high enough,
    because it just reads "Sal" on my bike. 😉

    Last note: the B17 is honey-colored, a light, golden brown, with large copper rivets. It is
    bee-yoo-tiful!

    BC tender butt

  2. bob comiskey said:

    I replaced my one-bolt Shimano 600EX post with the Salsa, and I am loving it. It has separate
    adjustments for the tilt and lateral position, and it's easy to make very fine tilt adjustments;
    there is a cam with hex hole in it, and you use a 5mm allen wrench as a lever to change the tilt.
    This is so easy compared to the single bolt post.

    H'mmm... that sounds like what I need. My Cannondale has a Richey single bolt post, and it is
    literally a pain in the [censored]. I've already replace the nast Fizik saddle that came on it with a
    proper Brooks Professional, but every time I do a fast bumpy downhill section the saddle slips (in
    the tilt axis) and needs adjusting. Any problems with the Salsa?

    Quoted message said:

    Last note: the B17 is honey-colored, a light, golden brown, with large copper rivets. It is
    bee-yoo-tiful!

    Yes, I have a big-rivet Professional on my road bike, very pretty indeed. The one on my hill bike
    has the standard rivets, which are still pretty nice.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) jasmine.org.uk~simon

    ;; no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn. ;; Jim Morrison

  3. Simon Brooke said:

    H'mmm... that sounds like what I need. My Cannondale has a Richey single bolt post, and it is
    literally a pain in the [censored]. I've already replace the nast Fizik saddle that came on it with a
    proper Brooks Professional, but every time I do a fast bumpy downhill section the saddle slips (in
    the tilt axis) and needs adjusting. Any problems with the Salsa?


    Not so far. It has two 6mm bolts to loosen/tighten for the tilt adjust, and I screw 'em
    down tightly.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Last note: the B17 is honey-colored, a light, golden brown, with large copper rivets. It is
    bee-yoo-tiful!

    Yes, I have a big-rivet Professional on my road bike, very pretty indeed. The one on my hill bike
    has the standard rivets, which are still pretty nice.

    I have a Pro also that I got twenty years ago and never enjoyed. I'd put it on the bike every few
    years for a while, and it never seemed right. The B17 is slightly wider than the Pro.

    Interesting observation: I can reach beneath the saddle and feel where my sit bones are. Couldn't do
    that on a padded saddle! (Of course, why would you???)

    BTW, I got the post & saddle at Harris Cyclery, which is a LBS.

    BC

  4. I should have my pro team saddle in a few days. I was wondering do you oil it from the top
    or bottom?

    --
    Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes Custom made wooden planes at reasonable prices See
    knight-toolworks.comknight-toolworks.com For prices and ordering instructions.

  5. Steve Knight said:

    I should have my pro team saddle in a few days. I was wondering do you oil it from the top
    or bottom?


    I have read about many rituals for breaking in & maintaining a Brooks, but I am following the most
    conservative one, described on the Brooks website. I have treated this saddle just once, top &
    bottom, with Brooks Proofide, their proprietary wax dressing. Brooks says to avoid all oils, as it
    will cause the leather to age and sag prematurely.

    If the Proofide doesn't work, I can always move on to water, oil, baseball bats, etc.

    BC

  6. O

    Quoted message said:

    I have read about many rituals for breaking in & maintaining a Brooks, but I am following the most
    conservative one, described on the Brooks website. I have treated this saddle just once, top &
    bottom, with Brooks Proofide, their proprietary wax dressing. Brooks says to avoid all oils, as it
    will cause the leather to age and sag prematurely.

    I just got mine today and got no info with it. but the site gave it to me. but I wonder if I could
    waterproof the top? like using nikwax-usa.comindex.htm

    --
    Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes Custom made wooden planes at reasonable prices See
    knight-toolworks.comknight-toolworks.com For prices and ordering instructions.

  7. "Steve Knight" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    O

    Quoted message said:

    I have read about many rituals for breaking in & maintaining a Brooks, but I am following the
    most conservative one, described on the Brooks website. I have treated this saddle just once, top
    & bottom, with Brooks Proofide, their proprietary wax dressing. Brooks says to avoid all oils, as
    it will cause the leather to age and sag prematurely.

    I just got mine today and got no info with it. but the site gave it to me. but I wonder if I could
    waterproof the top? like using nikwax-usa.comindex.htm

    Steve,

    Back in the 70's, regular use, your butt, and the sweat rolling down your back was typically what we
    used to break in a new Brooks Pro... old fashion perhaps but kind of like using your jack and
    jointer planes instead of a jointer and thickness planer. ;-)

    John

  8. Steve Knight said:

    I just got mine today and got no info with it. but the site gave it to me. but I wonder if I could
    waterproof the top? like using nikwax-usa.comindex.htm


    Steve,

    I'm not sure that I'd want to waterproof a leather saddle. The proofide and other treatments that
    people recommend are to help soften and condition, not to waterproof.

    BC

  9. Quoted message said:

    I'm not sure that I'd want to waterproof a leather saddle. The proofide and other treatments that
    people recommend are to help soften and condition, not to waterproof.


    for rain protection. so I did not have to cover the seat. here in portland you never know when it
    will rain.

    --
    Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes Custom made wooden planes at reasonable prices See
    knight-toolworks.comknight-toolworks.com For prices and ordering instructions.

  10. Quoted message said:

    Back in the 70's, regular use, your butt, and the sweat rolling down your back was typically what
    we used to break in a new Brooks Pro... old fashion perhaps but kind of like using your jack and
    jointer planes instead of a jointer and thickness planer. ;-)


    (G)

    --
    Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes Custom made wooden planes at reasonable prices See
    knight-toolworks.comknight-toolworks.com For prices and ordering instructions.

  11. [email hidden] schreef ...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I'm not sure that I'd want to waterproof a leather saddle. The proofide and other treatments that
    people recommend are to help soften and condition, not to waterproof.


    for rain protection. so I did not have to cover the seat. here in portland you never know when it
    will rain.

    Stuff a shower cap under the saddle and use that when leaving the bike out in the rain. A liberal
    dose of Proofide on the underside will protect the saddle from water spraying up from your wheel.

    --
    Regards, Marten

  12. Quoted message said:

    Stuff a shower cap under the saddle and use that when leaving the bike out in the rain. A liberal
    dose of Proofide on the underside will protect the saddle from water spraying up from your wheel.

    great idea. got the proofride going already.

    --
    Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes Custom made wooden planes at reasonable prices See
    knight-toolworks.comknight-toolworks.com For prices and ordering instructions.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.