On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 12:38:53 -0400, Kate Connally <[email hidden]>
Quoted message said:
It's infinitely better than Pepsi (spawn of the evil empire).
LOL! I like Pepsi, but I like Dr. Pepper better than both. PS: I lost the Coke challenge. I chose Pepsi, thinking it was Coke.
For most people it is a matter of image. Don't forget the New Coke fiasco <?>. Coca Cola was trying to improve its market share by improving its product, a novel concept. It did a some blind taste tests and determined that most people preferred Pepsi over Coke. They tinkered with their formula to make a product that tasted more like Pepsi, and when they conducted taste tests they found that people preferred the New Coke to both the old Coke and Pepsi.
Public reaction to the New Coke was a rude surprise to the company. People went nuts and rejected the new product. New Coke was a flop. However, they were able to turn the whole think around. The public reaction generated a lot of free press. Coke went back to the old formula and renamed it Coke Classic and sales increased.
seriously. everyone should be lucky enough to 'blunder' in such a fashion.
Around here though, almost every buffet has it as a "crab" salad with celery, mayo and onion and I put it on my plate only because it's not deep fried or cooked to death like everything else is down here. :~)
Public reaction to the New Coke was a rude surprise to the company. People went nuts and rejected the new product. New Coke was a flop. However, they were able to turn the whole think around. The public reaction generated a lot of free press. Coke went back to the old formula and renamed it Coke Classic and sales increased.
seriously. everyone should be lucky enough to 'blunder' in such a fashion.
No kidding, eh. They came up with a formula that its customers preferred. The public, consisting of a lot of very foolish people, rebelled and demanded the return of their old favourite, even though they did not like it as much. They declared their brand loyalty and flocked to the old formula, now affectionately called Coke Classic. A marketing disaster turned into an outstanding success.
Coke went back to the old formula and renamed it Coke Classic and sales increased.
Except that they didn't go back to the old formula. The old version was based on sucrose. All of the new versions made in the U.S. (including Coke Classic) are based on high-fructose corn syrup. I haven't compared them, but some people say there's a noticable difference between the two.
You can get sucrose-based Coke at many Mexican food stores, who import it from Mexico. According to the label on those bottles, it can be made from either sucrose or HFCS, but I doubt it would make any sense to use HFCS in Coke made in Mexico. Mexico is a major producer of cane sugar, and does not have the powerful sugar lobby that keeps prices high in the U.S.
You can get sucrose-based Coke at many Mexican food stores, who import it from Mexico. According to the label on those bottles, it can be made from either sucrose or HFCS, but I doubt it would make any sense to use HFCS in Coke made in Mexico.
If you want to be sure, find some Coke that is labeled "Kosher for Passover." They can't have any corn derived products in that, so it has pure can sugar.
Except that they didn't go back to the old formula. The old version was based on sucrose. All of the new versions made in the U.S. (including Coke Classic) are based on high-fructose corn syrup. I haven't
I'm pretty sure they were using HFCS before the New Coke debacle. Not everywhere, but in some parts of the country.
Around here though, almost every buffet has it as a "crab" salad with celery, mayo and onion and I put it on my plate only because it's not deep fried or cooked to death like everything else is down here. :~)
kili
refresh my memory, kili - whereat is down here?
Florida
okey-dokey. maryland, home of the blue crab, here.
I agree that it was a sin to change from sugar to corn syrup, nevertheless, Coke is still the best cola out there and I won't dring anything else. It's infinitely better than Pepsi (spawn of the evil empire).
Are there really only two options for most of the country? I don't drink soda, but my husband prefers RC cola.
--Charlene
-- I have found out that there ain't no surer way to find out whether you like people or hate them than to travel with them. -- Mark Twain
The LA Times today had an article on the front page called "The Courage of Their Confections" which tells of the Grocery Manufactuers of America, a trade group, campaign to let chocolate makers replace cocoa butter with vegetable oils and milk (for milk chocolate) with "milk protein concentrates." This is just *wrong*, IMHO. Sees and Guittard Chocolate Co., two of California's oldest chocolatiers, are having fits about this. The trade group, which says it has the support of the Chocolate Manufacturers of America says it's "just thinking outside the old chocolate box." It wouldn't prevent Sees and Guittard from using cocoa butter and milk, of course, but there ought to be a label on the vegetable oil and "milk protein concentrates" candy that precludes the word "chocolate" or "milk chocolate," much as those chemistry experiments at the fast food joints don't call their products "milk shakes."
Class is open for discussion.
This is the perfect example of an issue where the marketplace can decide just fine. As long as this is clearly labeled, I have no problem with using vegetable oils and milk instead of real cocoa butter because, if enough people dislike the product, they will simply not buy it and opt for more expensive premium chocolate.
This is the perfect example of an issue where the marketplace can decide just fine. As long as this is clearly labeled, I have no problem with using vegetable oils and milk instead of real cocoa butter because, if enough people dislike the product, they will simply not buy it and opt for more expensive premium chocolate.
Don't you think it is reasonable to have a few shortcuts so that some popular products are succinctly labled? For example "milk" means cow's milk not elephant milk, even when you don't read the fine print.
of America, a trade group, campaign to let chocolate makers replace cocoa butter with vegetable oils and milk (for milk chocolate) with "milk protein concentrates." This is just *wrong*, IMHO. Sees and
I'm somewhat curious as to how "milk protein concentrates" differs from "milk solids" which are currently used. The milk in milk chocolate has been powdered milk of some sort for 100 years or more. I'm not a big fan of the vegetable oils in chocolates, because they generally have to hydrogenate them to keep them solid at room temperatures.
On the other hand, Hershey convinced the FDA a few years ago to let them call white chocolate, white chocolate. Before that anything that did not have a certain percentage of cocoa solids in it wasn't allowed to be called "chocolate" even if it used pure cocoa butter.
This is the perfect example of an issue where the marketplace can decide just fine. As long as this is clearly labeled, I have no problem with using vegetable oils and milk instead of real cocoa butter because, if enough people dislike the product, they will simply not buy it and opt for more expensive premium chocolate.
Don't you think it is reasonable to have a few shortcuts so that some popular products are succinctly labled? For example "milk" means cow's milk not elephant milk, even when you don't read the fine print.
No. If a product that is heavily based on a particular ingredient, such as milk in a bar of chocolate, is non-standard, the difference should be clearly labeled.
what happened to Coke. It *tastes* better in Hawaii, because it *is* better.
Does Hawaii have some state law that prohibits use of HFCS or just the availability of cane sugar v. shipping in HFCS v. shipping in syrup from the mainland ??
Mexico and some other places that use cane v. HFCS I pretty sure have regulations that prohibit its use. Much like adding caffeine to certain drinks in Canada..ie: Mountain Dew
Its the "Walmart syndrome", where the only thing that can ever matter is how cheaply something can be purchased.
While your "WS" may be a contributing factor.... WM sells under the Sams Choice label some damn fine chocolate... made in belgium, and its quite good.
WM is not the only store trying to squeeze its suppliers, they just don't try to hide it like others, and yes they are pretty ruthless about it as well.
As for this franken chocolate... I vote NO! !
It needs to be clearly labeled as something OTHER THAN CHOCALTE.
On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 12:41:01 -0500, in rec.food.cooking, Charlene Charette
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
I agree that it was a sin to change from sugar to corn syrup, nevertheless, Coke is still the best cola out there and I won't dring anything else. It's infinitely better than Pepsi (spawn of the evil empire).
Are there really only two options for most of the country? I don't drink soda, but my husband prefers RC cola.
So do I, but I'm in the UK and we don't have it here. But what we do have in Europe that the US doesn't have is Pepsi Max, a diet version of Pepsi (not Diet Pepsi) that tastes like regular Pepsi.