UK and Europe · Public discussion

A different kind of sidedness

Started by LSMike · · Last activity · 44 posts · 1,843 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
19 April 2005
Last activity
25 April 2005
Original author
LSMike
Posts
44
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,843
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 44
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. The other topic made me think about whether you use one foot all the time
    when stopping at the lights, or whether you make a concerted effort to use
    either foot and balance up the weaker one. I.e. do you always push off with
    the same foot?

  2. "LSMike" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    The other topic made me think about whether you use one foot all the time
    when stopping at the lights, or whether you make a concerted effort to use
    either foot and balance up the weaker one. I.e. do you always push off
    with the same foot?

    I vary mine. Usually I take the left foot out of the pedals as I use the
    raised height of the kerb to stand on at the lights. Sometimes though I see
    some glass on the left of the ASL so move out to the right and stand on my
    right foot. The preferred option though is to find some railings or other
    bit of street furniture to hold on to so I can keep both feet in the clips.
    You get to know where all of the bollards and railings are to hang on to.

    --
    Simon Mason

    http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

  3. LSMike said:

    The other topic made me think about whether you use one foot all the
    time when stopping at the lights, or whether you make a concerted
    effort to use either foot and balance up the weaker one. I.e. do you
    always push off with the same foot?

    I always put left foot down and push off with right. I actually find it
    difficult to balance the other way round. Even a serious injury to my
    right hip couldn't change this habit of a lifetime. In fact, continuing
    like this has been good physiotherapy for me :-)

    I think it's more to do with the fact that UK kerbs are on the left (if
    you know what I mean) rather than anything to do with handedness. Resting
    a foot on a high kerb saves stretching or getting off the saddle.

    ~PB

  4. I think it's a handedness thing. I'm left-handed and always push off with the left, even though I worry that I'm putting more wear on one knee than the other.

  5. LSMike said:

    The other topic made me think about whether you use one foot all the time
    when stopping at the lights, or whether you make a concerted effort to use
    either foot and balance up the weaker one. I.e. do you always push off with
    the same foot?


    Yes. I always take my right foot out because it's the dominant one and
    therefore easier to clip back in.

  6. LSMike said:

    The other topic made me think about whether you use one foot all the time
    when stopping at the lights, or whether you make a concerted effort to use
    either foot and balance up the weaker one. I.e. do you always push off with
    the same foot?

    I sometimes go through phases of making an effort to use both feet.
    They usually last a few days. So I /can/ push off and stop with either
    foot, but I'm not particularly good at using the right foot.

    I have a feeling one of those phases is going to start in the very near
    future.

    I go through similar phases with unicycling. I /can/ mount right foot
    first, dismount left foot first and hover with the right foot down, but
    I much prefer doing it the other way around.

    --
    Danny Colyer (the UK company has been laughed out of my reply address)
    <URL:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/>
    "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." - Thomas Paine

  7. I said:

    I always put left foot down and push off with right. I actually find
    it difficult to balance the other way round. Even a serious injury
    to my right hip couldn't change this habit of a lifetime. In fact,
    continuing like this has been good physiotherapy for me :-)

    I think it's more to do with the fact that UK kerbs are on the left
    (if you know what I mean) rather than anything to do with handedness.
    Resting a foot on a high kerb saves stretching or getting off the
    saddle.

    ps. I'm right handed.

    ~PB

  8. LSMike said:

    The other topic made me think about whether you use one foot all the time
    when stopping at the lights, or whether you make a concerted effort to use
    either foot and balance up the weaker one. I.e. do you always push off with
    the same foot?

    Always rest left on the ground, right one tromps down on the pedal to
    get going.

    --

    Velvet

  9. On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 21:59:35 GMT, Velvet <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:


    Always rest left on the ground, right one tromps down on the pedal to
    get going.

    same here, and I've noticed that sonandheir does the same. I don't
    know if that's because he's also left handed, or because when he's on
    the trailer bike he just copies what I do.

  10. LSMike said:

    The other topic made me think about whether you use one foot all the time
    when stopping at the lights, or whether you make a concerted effort to use
    either foot and balance up the weaker one. I.e. do you always push off with
    the same foot?


    When I first cycled I was about 50-50.

    Then I took some "proper" motorcycle training, and learned always to put
    the left foot down. It's many years now since I used a motorbike, but
    that habit lives on in my cycling.

    OTOH I generally mount from the left, so that's left foot to provide
    that critical initial momentum.

    --
    Nick Kew

  11. LSMike said:

    The other topic made me think about whether you use one foot all the time
    when stopping at the lights, or whether you make a concerted effort to use
    either foot and balance up the weaker one. I.e. do you always push off with
    the same foot?

    I used to be very one sided, but made a point of being able to vary even
    though I still tend to favour one as the default. What took a bit of
    thinking out was a rolling mount from the RHS of the bike: I was
    convinced I'd fall over first time I tried, though it was okay when I
    plucked up the courage. Just stepping over for a stationary mount from
    that side seems a little odd...

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  12. slim jim said:

    I think it's a handedness thing. I'm left-handed and always push
    off with the left, even though I worry that I'm putting more wear
    on one knee than the other.

    I'm left handed and usually push off with my left too, even though my
    left knee has been injured of late. Every time I do it I think to
    myself, "Ouch, I must put the other foot down next time." Next time I
    stop the right foot unclips itslef again before I've had time to think
    about it.

    --
    Dave...

  13. in message <426567f9.0@entanet>, Zog The Undeniable

    (') said:
    LSMike said:

    The other topic made me think about whether you use one foot all the
    time when stopping at the lights, or whether you make a concerted
    effort to use
    either foot and balance up the weaker one. I.e. do you always push
    off with the same foot?


    Yes. I always take my right foot out because it's the dominant one
    and therefore easier to clip back in.

    H'mm. I almost always unclip my left for exactly the same reason. And
    this, of course, is why two of my favourite pairs of tights have holes
    in the right knee - unclip left, topple over right... The idea that
    unclipping left is beneficial because you can put your foot down on the
    kerb is bogus, IMHO. If you're riding on the road you shouldn't ever be
    that close to the kerb.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    ;; Friends don't send friends HTML formatted emails.

  14. audrey said:

    On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 21:59:35 GMT, Velvet <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Always rest left on the ground, right one tromps down on the pedal to
    get going.

    same here, and I've noticed that sonandheir does the same. I don't
    know if that's because he's also left handed, or because when he's on
    the trailer bike he just copies what I do.

    I'm right-handed...

    --

    Velvet

  15. LSMike said:

    The other topic made me think about whether you use one foot all the
    time when stopping at the lights, or whether you make a concerted
    effort to use either foot and balance up the weaker one. I.e. do you
    always push off with the same foot?

    When riding upright, I inevitably unclip the right foot and perforce start
    with the left, though if I have street furniture upon which to lean, I /may/
    start with the right. When lying down on the job, however, I usually start
    with the right nowadays, having tried to alternate feet when the
    Speedmachine went through a phase of the boom slowly rotating to the right.

    For the record, I am right-handed.

    --
    Dave Larrington - <http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/>
    God was my co-pilot, but we crashed in the mountains and I had to eat Him.

  16. On 20/4/05 11:01 am, in article
    [email hidden], "Velvet"

    Quoted message said:
    audrey said:

    On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 21:59:35 GMT, Velvet <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Always rest left on the ground, right one tromps down on the pedal to
    get going.

    same here, and I've noticed that sonandheir does the same. I don't
    know if that's because he's also left handed, or because when he's on
    the trailer bike he just copies what I do.

    I'm right-handed...

    I tend to unclip and stop with my left foot because that is the side of the
    kerb. I would usually swing foot over bike, clip in, then push off. It was a
    bit of a relearnign experience when I was living abroad.

    ...d

  17. Simon Brooke said:

    The idea that
    unclipping left is beneficial because you can put your foot down on
    the kerb is bogus, IMHO. If you're riding on the road you shouldn't
    ever be that close to the kerb.

    Oh come off it. It's often safe enough to pull over to and start from the
    kerb side, even when normally riding some distance from it.

    ~PB

  18. Pete Biggs said:

    Oh come off it. It's often safe enough to pull over to and start from the
    kerb side, even when normally riding some distance from it.

    Indeed. And it is more often than not the case that when pulling up to
    stop before getting off the bike, you pull up to a kerb, at least if
    you're anywhere around town.

    When I got my first "proper" bike it was sized so I'd grow into it (not
    ideal, but fairly sensible given M&D didn't have infinite cash resources
    to supply their children with their every whim), and it was quite tricky
    to get on /without/ having a start from the kerb (this was long before
    Mum had taught me the rolling mount).

    Which is why I usually get on and off from the LHS of a bike, and put my
    left foot down by default even when I don't have a kerb for it.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  19. Pete Biggs said:

    Oh come off it. It's often safe enough to pull over to and start
    from the kerb side, even when normally riding some distance from it.

    Very handy things, kerbs. Closer to hand than the road and often in
    possession of street furniture which may serve to support a bicyclist intent
    on making a rapid getaway.

    --
    Dave Larrington - <http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/>
    If you are choking on an ice cube, simply pour a jug of boiling water
    down your throat and presto! The blockage is almost instantly removed.

  20. in message <[email hidden]>, Peter Clinch

    (') said:
    Pete Biggs said:

    Oh come off it. It's often safe enough to pull over to and start
    from the kerb side, even when normally riding some distance from it.

    Indeed. And it is more often than not the case that when pulling up
    to stop before getting off the bike, you pull up to a kerb, at least
    if you're anywhere around town.

    This is indeed so, but I had assumed we were talking about stopping at
    junctions - and if, at a junction, you're near enough to the curb for
    it to make any difference, you're too near.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/
    ; gif ye hes forget our auld plane Scottis quhilk your mother lerit you,
    ; in tymes cuming I sall wryte to you my mind in Latin, for I am nocht
    ; acquyntit with your Southeron
    ;; Letter frae Ninian Winyet tae John Knox datit 27t October 1563

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.