I won't get into too much detail, but on my ride yesterday a dog bit my leg giving me two punture wounds and immediate bleeding. I went to the hospital, mostly precautionary, and the fact that I couldn't really get the bleeding to stop.
That said, every time I approach a dog I slow down because I don't want to chance hitting it or it jumping into me causing an accident. My experience with dogs (until now) is that they'll barrell after you, but once they reach you they'll shy away and sniff things out. There were three dogs in the road and I came to a stop. I unclipped my left shoe and put my foot on the ground. No more than a second later one of the dogs lunged at me and bit my left calf. I was nervous that he'd want more so I pedaled away, fumbling with the shifter (I was nervous) and the dogs were literally on my heals for about 10 seconds and finally backed off when a car passed going the opposite direction.
My question to you people is, could I have approached this better? Other than carrying a can of dog mace (which I have immedate access to at work), is there anything I can do to help prevent this, or is it just going to happen depending on if there's a crazy dog around?
<snip> My question to you people is, could I have approached this better? Other than carrying a can of dog mace (which I have immedate access to at work), is there anything I can do to help prevent this, or is it just going to happen depending on if there's a crazy dog around?
I like the idea of dog mace as I've been bitten too! 😠 where do I get it? I find it's usually the little buggers that go for you. Mind you, I would think twice about using it as I have a dog but wouldn't let it wander too far on the walkies anyway!
They used to sell doggie pepper spray called Halt! in Nashbar. It doesn't have to be just for dogs. A company called Gall's sells pepper spray. Just check your local laws first. I think their web addy is www.galls.com A good squirt with your water bottle can be effective and I will not hesitate to use my frame pump!
Despite being bit, I'd still feel hesitant about using spray. Really in this situation I didn't have time to use it. The s.o.b. bit me the second I released my left leg!
Perhaps I should not come to a complete stop and I should just let 'em have it next time.
well, i have been there... when I first started riding, maybe when I was just about 15, there was a certain dog that used to chase me, and even got me pretty good a few times, until I got faster... Well, he did too, he would not let up! I could have gona around, but it was a small town with not too many roads... It was right about the time bike pumps that fit in the frame came out.. Well, let's just say, I didn't have that frame-pump too long, and my dear friend/arch enemy got it over the head.. Never again did he chase me, and I spoke to the owner, and he said, alot of people had said that the dog had chased them, but he had stopped... I felt bad for a bit, bit ankle did not! Sorry Pup! Does someone know the more sensitive way to traina dog like that? 😕
Where I live, it's the owner's responsibility to make sure their pet doesn't attack anyone, and the owner can get some serious fines. If the dog is loose and/or chasing you, don't stop the bike. Dogs are pack animals and need to be shown who's boss. If that means kicking it in the head with your cleats, it's the owners fault for letting the dog run loose, not yours. It may help to yell at the dog, with a bit of a growl in your voice, show it your not scared of it.
Once when a german shepard was chasing me, I hit the brakes, jumped off, turned and ran at it, yelling at the same time. It turned around and bolted, with it's tail between it's legs 😄 (Note: don't try this if the dog will catch up to you before you're off the bike 😉 )
Where I live, it's the owner's responsibility to make sure their pet doesn't attack anyone, and the owner can get some serious fines. If the dog is loose and/or chasing you, don't stop the bike. Dogs are pack animals and need to be shown who's boss. If that means kicking it in the head with your cleats, it's the owners fault for letting the dog run loose, not yours. It may help to yell at the dog, with a bit of a growl in your voice, show it your not scared of it.
Once when a german shepard was chasing me, I hit the brakes, jumped off, turned and ran at it, yelling at the same time. It turned around and bolted, with it's tail between it's legs 😄 (Note: don't try this if the dog will catch up to you before you're off the bike 😉 )
Best advice!
I used to be scared to death of dogs (bitten when I was a child) and a dog trainer buddy of mine taught me about dog behaviour.
I dont know about the mace, but a bb gun for a PARTICULAR dog problem would not be all too bad .... at least the dog will not chase anything resembling a bike anymore.
Don't ever stop. If a dog is attacking you, it will usually wait for your legs to stop before jumping. Most dogs will run away if you bark at them. You are after all bigger. If that doesn't work, spray them with your water bottle.
Wow. If a dog had actually bitten me, you can be sure I would have stomped it good. Then I'd go to the owners and show them that their dog had bitten me and expect them to have it chained up next time, or the cops would be called.
Back when I used to run, dogs were a real problem. Here is what I learned:
Most dogs you will encounter are someones pet. As such, they probably know some commands. If you shout loudly at a dog to "STOP!" or "SIT!" or "NO!", there is a chance they will listen. Just yell loud and be firm in your command. It might take a couple shouts. It seemed to work for me, but I make no promises it will work for anyone else.
As a paper boy (a long time ago) I would hit the front brakes, step off & away from the dog and let the spinning rear wheel smack em. OK with a CCM clunker. These days I find a good spray in their face from the water bottle usually stops dogs in their tracks (especially using salted gateraid).
The one thing that has made the most difference for me is that I watch for loose dogs like I watch for white SUV cell phone talking soccer moms. As soon as I see a dog or dogs ahead of me, I slow down and give myself time to make a plan. If it really looks bad, like a pack of dogs ahead, I won't ride through them. It's not worth it. If I have to ride through them to make it home, I stop and get anything I can to throw at them, scare the living shiznit out of them and run them off before I have to pass. As has been said, if you do this once, these same dogs will steer a wide birth of you from then on.
When I don't see them in advance, like one coming out of the brush along a road, I yell as loud as I can NO and see if I can hit 1200 watts on my sprint. In those situations, I have generally had worse luck when I stopped.
Not that much of a problem for me. But if I do think one is going to go for me, I'll head straight for the bugger and try to hit it with my front wheel. They always get out of the way. I'm against animal cruelty, but when it comes down to it, I'd rather the mutt suffered than me.
I'm against animal cruelty, but when it comes down to it, I'd rather the mutt suffered than me.
Very good point, I feel the same way. Any dog I encounter has one or two chances to respond to a command while I sprint. If no response, out comes the frame pump... "Make my day...." 😄
Thanks for the input, guys. Looks like I just handled the situation poorly. Next time I won't stop and I'll get my water bottle handy. Better make sure that thing is full when I leave the house!
Thanks for the input, guys. Looks like I just handled the situation poorly. Next time I won't stop and I'll get my water bottle handy. Better make sure that thing is full when I leave the house!
Another thing I forgot to mention earlier. If you're in a pace line when you come up on a loose dog, spread out. Once the dog starts chasing the lead rider, he will be oblivious to anything behind him. The only thing worse than getting bitten by a dog is plowing into one that abruptly stops in front of you.
Another thing I forgot to mention earlier. If you're in a pace line when you come up on a loose dog, spread out. Once the dog starts chasing the lead rider, he will be oblivious to anything behind him. The only thing worse than getting bitten by a dog is plowing into one that abruptly stops in front of you.
Been there, done that. And yes, it really sucked. I tried the spread out method and went away from the leader (I was right behind him) just in time for him to unclip and kick the dog in the head. the dog abruptly turned around and was directly in front of me, where I hit it broadside (it was probably 60-70lbs) and went straight over the handlebars. Broke my brand new helmet, a Specialized Air Pirannah. Glad I had a helmet on for that one.... In my opinion, if a dog is chasing in a group, there's no telling what is going to happen. Best bet is to slow until you get a feel for who's doing what, and then sprint away if you have to once you have a clear path.
on one for my rides i had 3 german shepards chase me down! right as i passed @ 20 mph they started chasing and barking...i accelerated up to 30 mph and they continued to chase my for 200 yards til they finally gave up...lucky i escaped! it could have been ugly....even after this incident, i wouldnt consider using dog mace...just outsprint them!
Then I'd go to the owners and show them that their dog had bitten me and expect them to have it chained up next time, or the cops would be called.
Actually this would be done anyway if it was me that had gotten bit. I have no tolerance for irresponsible dog owners, and I love dogs. There is no reason for this to happen as much as it does. I would hesitate to hurt a dog but I would not think twice about making my displeasure known to the owners, and that WOULD involve a visit from the police, my insurance company and attorney. I am a diabetic and if I was to get bitten in my foot or lower leg it would require an immediate trip to the hospital. I have already lost part of my left foot due to an infection and I do not plan on that happening again because some yokel can't keep their animal properly confined.