UK and Europe · Public discussion

a few questions about single speed mtbs...

Started by Me · · Last activity · 6 posts · 347 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
23 June 2004
Last activity
23 June 2004
Original author
Me
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
347
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. a few questions for all the ss geeks out there...

    1. what frame makers make a ss frame with an eccentric BB so that I can run
    discs in the rear w/ normal dropouts?

    2. if no one does a bike with that type of bb, can I run discs on a frame
    with horizontal/track drop outs?

    3. who makes rear hubs with gears in them? rolf, shimano nexus, anyone else?
    anyone make such a beast that is also disc compatible?

    cheers for all the answers as I'm thinking about building up a new beast!

  2. Me said:

    a few questions for all the ss geeks out there...

    1. what frame makers make a ss frame with an eccentric BB so that I can run
    discs in the rear w/ normal dropouts?

    2. if no one does a bike with that type of bb, can I run discs on a frame
    with horizontal/track drop outs?

    3. who makes rear hubs with gears in them? rolf, shimano nexus, anyone else?
    anyone make such a beast that is also disc compatible?

    cheers for all the answers as I'm thinking about building up a new beast!


    Well, Thorn make the Raven frameset which is basically a steel MTB. It
    has an alloy eccentric BB but no disc mounts.

    You might be better having a steel frame built with track dropouts and
    disc mounts. M Steel Cycles (Dave Yates) could almost certainly do it.

    SRAM and Rohloff also make rear gear hubs, but the Rohloff one is about
    £700. It does have 14 speeds though :-)

  3. in message said:

    a few questions for all the ss geeks out there...

    1. what frame makers make a ss frame with an eccentric BB so that I
    can run discs in the rear w/ normal dropouts?

    The Cannondale Street Rohloff uses a frame with an eccentric BB and disk
    brake mounts; whether the frame is available separately I wouldn't
    know. The machine comes as standard with a Rohloff hub gear. All the
    Nicolai frames are available with Rohloff-style dropouts and disk brake
    mounts.

    Quoted message said:

    2. if no one does a bike with that type of bb, can I run discs on a
    frame with horizontal/track drop outs?

    Nicolai do, so presumably you can.

    Quoted message said:

    3. who makes rear hubs with gears in them? rolf, shimano nexus, anyone
    else? anyone make such a beast that is also disc compatible?

    Rohloff, and yes, and you can get bikes already equipped with Rohloffs
    and disks from Cannondale and Nicolai and doubtless a few other
    innovative brands.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/
    Das Internet is nicht fuer gefingerclicken und giffengrabben... Ist
    nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das mausklicken sichtseeren
    keepen das bandwit-spewin hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und
    watchen das cursorblinken. -- quoted from the jargon file

  4. Me said:

    a few questions for all the ss geeks out there...

    1. what frame makers make a ss frame with an eccentric BB so that I
    can run discs in the rear w/ normal dropouts?

    On-One do a MTB frame with disk fittings, eccentric BB, etc. They have a
    website.

    Probably others.

    Quoted message said:

    2. if no one does a bike with that type of bb, can I run discs on a
    frame with horizontal/track drop outs?

    Dunno.

    Quoted message said:

    3. who makes rear hubs with gears in them? rolf, shimano nexus,
    anyone else?

    I guess you mean Rohloff, not Rolf Harris :-).
    14 speed and expensive.

    Also Sturmey Archer 3, 5 and (new) 8 speed.
    Sturmey and Shimano offer hub drum brake options.

    Quoted message said:

    anyone make such a beast that is also disc


    compatible?

    Rohloff, if you get the relevant version.
    If heading towards a Rohloff, you might want to ensure that the frame has
    the relevant fittings around the drop-out which would save having to use the
    torque-arm.
    Look at the Thorn Raven bike (an upright tourer with Rohloff hub, St.John's
    Street Cycles website) to see how the drop out could be done. At the sort
    of money a Rohloff hub costs, I'd get the frame sorted to match.
    Rohloff website has lots of information on the hubs.

    Quoted message said:

    cheers for all the answers as I'm thinking about building up a new
    beast!

    --
    NC - Webmaster for http://www.2mm.org.uk/
    Replies to newsgroup postings to the newsgroup please.

  5. "Me" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    a few questions for all the ss geeks out there...

    1. what frame makers make a ss frame with an eccentric BB so that I can


    run

    Quoted message said:

    discs in the rear w/ normal dropouts?


    http://on-one.co.uk/products/ebbinbred.shtml

  6. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:


    "Me" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    a few questions for all the ss geeks out there...

    1. what frame makers make a ss frame with an eccentric BB so that I can


    run

    Quoted message said:

    discs in the rear w/ normal dropouts?


    http://on-one.co.uk/products/ebbinbred.shtml


    and kinetics http://www.kinetics.org.uk have a range of rolhoff ready
    frames
    --
    ..paul

    If at first you don't succeed...
    Skydiving is probably not the sport for you.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.