General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

A fortnight in Wales

Started by Volker Gringmuth · · Last activity · 32 posts · 684 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
1 February 2006
Last activity
10 February 2006
Original author
Volker Gringmuth
Posts
32
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
684
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–32 of 32
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. [email hidden] said...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    The smallest Welsh mountain I know of is Mynydd y Castell (in Margam Park)
    Anybody know of a smaller one?

    Pass.


    Just about everthing in the Rhondda is a 'mynydd' if it goes up. Mynydd
    Maindy, Mynydd Eglwys... Is Mynydd y Castell the hill that the house[1]
    sits on, or is it another bump, further up the park?

    [1] No way is it a castle. No moat, no towers, no dungeons, OK it's
    (IIRC) got crenelations, but no battlements, no drawbridge, no
    portcullis...
    --
    To reply see 'from' in headers; lose the domain, and insert dots and @
    where common sense dictates.

  2. Fran said:

    Just about everthing in the Rhondda is a 'mynydd' if it goes up.
    Mynydd Maindy, Mynydd Eglwys...

    I was going to mention that. What I was going to say was that some of the
    Rhondda mynydds aren't summits at all. They may look like from the valley
    below, but some of them are just the crests at the end of ridges.

    Quoted message said:

    Is Mynydd y Castell the hill that
    the house[1] sits on, or is it another bump, further up the park?

    It's the small hill with the word "fort" written on it, the one that the
    arrow is pointing toward.
    http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?G2M?X=280500&Y=186500&A=Y&Z=3

    Quoted message said:

    [1] No way is it a castle. No moat, no towers, no dungeons, OK it's
    (IIRC) got crenelations, but no battlements, no drawbridge, no
    portcullis...

    Are you referring to the abbey? I presume it's an abbey since that's what
    it says on the map.

    Mynydd y Castell doesn't refer to the building, it refers to the hill fort
    on the hill. It basically means Castle Mountain, or Fort Mountain. I
    suppose castle & fort are interchangeable, basically a defensive structure.

    Paul

  3. [email hidden] said...

    Quoted message said:
    Fran said:

    Just about everthing in the Rhondda is a 'mynydd' if it goes up.
    Mynydd Maindy, Mynydd Eglwys...

    I was going to mention that. What I was going to say was that some of the
    Rhondda mynydds aren't summits at all. They may look like from the valley
    below, but some of them are just the crests at the end of ridges.

    Quoted message said:

    Is Mynydd y Castell the hill that
    the house[1] sits on, or is it another bump, further up the park?

    It's the small hill with the word "fort" written on it, the one that the
    arrow is pointing toward.
    http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?G2M?X=280500&Y=186500&A=Y&Z=3

    Quoted message said:

    [1] No way is it a castle. No moat, no towers, no dungeons, OK it's
    (IIRC) got crenelations, but no battlements, no drawbridge, no
    portcullis...

    Are you referring to the abbey? I presume it's an abbey since that's what
    it says on the map.

    No, I was talking about Margam Castle, which is a posh name for the big
    house around which sits the park. The Abbey - or rather what's left of
    it - is quite a bit lower down, more or less next door to Margam Church
    which sits immediately outside the park.

    Quoted message said:

    Mynydd y Castell doesn't refer to the building, it refers to the hill fort
    on the hill. It basically means Castle Mountain, or Fort Mountain. I
    suppose castle & fort are interchangeable, basically a defensive structure.

    Yes, I knew what the name meant. But given that the house (former home
    of the photography chappie) is rather grandly known as 'castle', even
    though it's nothing of the sort and isn't even all that old, the lump of
    geography it sits on could well have been called Castle Mountain. That
    said, looking at the map, and from what little I can remember about that
    part of the area, it's possible that the fort isn't actually within the
    park but rather just outside it. I need to stroll up there and take a
    look next time I get a few hours to myself, don't I :-)

    --
    To reply see 'from' in headers; lose the domain, and insert dots and @
    where common sense dictates.

  4. Dominic Sexton said:
    Quoted message said:

    But if the name doesn't refer to that, is there anything on Bangor
    Mountain marking the "summit"? It wouldn't qualify as a summit
    under normal tick list rules.

    Thought you might say that.

    I knew you would! :-)

    Quoted message said:

    Yes there is a small bump that is the
    summit but it isn't marked by anything spectacular. I seem to
    remember a park bench nearby though ;-)

    The 117m peak is not part of what was termed Bangor Mountain when I
    lived just between BM and the peak - St Mary's Hall of Residence for
    those who know the Uni.

    Fair enough, but if it's not "really" a summit, can it really qualify as the
    smallest mountain in Wales? If we could find a smaller one that would solve
    the problem. I wouldn't be surprised if there is.

    Paul

  5. In article <[email hidden]>, Fran
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:


    Yes, I knew what the name meant. But given that the house (former home
    of the photography chappie) is rather grandly known as 'castle', even
    though it's nothing of the sort and isn't even all that old, the lump of
    geography it sits on could well have been called Castle Mountain. That
    said, looking at the map, and from what little I can remember about that
    part of the area, it's possible that the fort isn't actually within the
    park but rather just outside it. I need to stroll up there and take a
    look next time I get a few hours to myself, don't I :-)

    The powers that be can get a bit romantic about names like this. We have
    Landore Castle nr Swansea. It never was a castle, fort, fortified
    homestead or whatever - it was a lodging house to house Copper works
    employees.

    The fact that two large walls remain standing has given the romantics a
    chance to call it a castle.
    --
    Bill Grey
    http://www.billboy.co.uk

  6. W. D. Grey said:

    The powers that be can get a bit romantic about names like this. We
    have Landore Castle nr Swansea. It never was a castle, fort,
    fortified homestead or whatever - it was a lodging house to house
    Copper works employees.

    The fact that two large walls remain standing has given the romantics
    a chance to call it a castle.

    Are you referring to the "castle" on the hilltop near Llewelyn's Park?

    If so, it looks a bit "castly", and it's built in the kind of place that
    you'd normally build a castle.

    Paul

  7. In article <[email hidden]>, Paul Saunders
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:
    Dominic Sexton said:
    Quoted message said:

    But if the name doesn't refer to that, is there anything on Bangor
    Mountain marking the "summit"? It wouldn't qualify as a summit
    under normal tick list rules.

    Thought you might say that.

    I knew you would! :-)

    Quoted message said:

    Yes there is a small bump that is the
    summit but it isn't marked by anything spectacular. I seem to
    remember a park bench nearby though ;-)

    The 117m peak is not part of what was termed Bangor Mountain when I
    lived just between BM and the peak - St Mary's Hall of Residence for
    those who know the Uni.

    Fair enough, but if it's not "really" a summit, can it really qualify as the
    smallest mountain in Wales? If we could find a smaller one that would solve
    the problem. I wouldn't be surprised if there is.

    Paul


    Don't start looking for one Paul or you'll never get out into the fresh
    air:-)
    --
    Bill Grey
    http://www.billboy.co.uk

  8. In article <[email hidden]>, Paul Saunders
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:
    W. D. Grey said:

    The powers that be can get a bit romantic about names like this. We
    have Landore Castle nr Swansea. It never was a castle, fort,
    fortified homestead or whatever - it was a lodging house to house
    Copper works employees.

    The fact that two large walls remain standing has given the romantics
    a chance to call it a castle.

    Are you referring to the "castle" on the hilltop near Llewelyn's Park?

    If so, it looks a bit "castly", and it's built in the kind of place that
    you'd normally build a castle.

    Paul


    That's the one - Biult By John Morris after whom "Morriston" was named.

    It has looked like it is now for as long as I can remember.
    --
    Bill Grey
    http://www.billboy.co.uk

  9. W. D. Grey said:

    Don't start looking for one Paul or you'll never get out into the
    fresh air:-)

    Cheek! I've been out all afternoon.

    Looking for a steep conical hill rising out of Oxwich Beach below the high
    tide mark. Sure enough, there was nothing there, flat as a pancake! So
    those free contours were wrong! I could've drowned trying to climb that
    imaginary hill... ;-)

    Paul

  10. W. D. Grey said:
    Quoted message said:

    Are you referring to the "castle" on the hilltop near Llewelyn's
    Park?

    Quoted message said:

    That's the one - Biult By John Morris after whom "Morriston" was
    named.

    Ah, Castle Graig, found the name...

    Quoted message said:

    It has looked like it is now for as long as I can remember.

    Bzzt! No it hasn't!

    25th January 1990 - 100+ mph storm. 44 people killed. Much damage including
    Castle Graig.

    Half of one wall fell down, I got pictures of it the next day. Lots of
    other people up there looking at the damage.

    Paul

  11. In article <[email hidden]>, Paul Saunders
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:
    W. D. Grey said:

    Don't start looking for one Paul or you'll never get out into the
    fresh air:-)

    Cheek! I've been out all afternoon.

    Looking for a steep conical hill rising out of Oxwich Beach below the high
    tide mark. Sure enough, there was nothing there, flat as a pancake! So
    those free contours were wrong! I could've drowned trying to climb that
    imaginary hill... ;-)

    Those are the ones to look out for - dangerous exposure :-)

    --
    Bill Grey
    http://www.billboy.co.uk

  12. In article <[email hidden]>, Paul Saunders
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:
    W. D. Grey said:
    Quoted message said:

    Are you referring to the "castle" on the hilltop near Llewelyn's
    Park?

    Quoted message said:

    That's the one - Biult By John Morris after whom "Morriston" was
    named.

    Ah, Castle Graig, found the name...

    Quoted message said:

    It has looked like it is now for as long as I can remember.

    Bzzt! No it hasn't!

    25th January 1990 - 100+ mph storm. 44 people killed. Much damage including
    Castle Graig.

    Half of one wall fell down, I got pictures of it the next day. Lots of
    other people up there looking at the damage.

    Paul


    My view of it has always been form the valley floor, and I would have
    know damage had occurred.

    Why they make such a fuss over that particular eyesore and call it a
    castle beats me.
    --
    Bill Grey
    http://www.billboy.co.uk

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.