Road Cycling · Public discussion

A hard rain's gonna fall.

Started by recycled-one · · Last activity · 6 posts · 294 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
11 May 2006
Last activity
13 May 2006
Original author
recycled-one
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
294
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I've been putting in saddle time for the past week: Chilly last Saturday
    but otherwise beautiful every day. The weather channel - my bible - has been
    forecasting rain always a few days out so I've been hoarding the good
    cycling weather.

    The geese along the waterway trails seem to have all paired up and are
    busy shepherding ungainly gaggles of fuzzy little yellow goslings around.

    And I found a new trail! It appears to go from north of town all the way to
    Elmira. Kinda flat but pleasant enough as far as I went - about half-way.
    But it looks like the luck has run out: Pretty much a week of rain is
    forecast. POP's are in the 90%-100% range.

    I guess I'll explore the trail further after the rains.

  2. You know, if you always have fenders on your bike, and carry extra
    rain gear in a bag on the back, you can hold off rain for an amazingly
    long time. Booties or WonderBread bags in their stead would probably
    be the clincher.

    But I'm supposed to get the same weather this weekend.

  3. "Brian Huntley" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    You know, if you always have fenders on your bike, and carry extra
    rain gear in a bag on the back, you can hold off rain for an amazingly
    long time. Booties or WonderBread bags in their stead would probably
    be the clincher.

    For me it doesn't matter. If I dress for rain on the outside, I create my
    own rain on the inside. The only way I can comfortably ride in the rains is
    in 'normal' clothing and let myself get soaked - It's going to happen
    regardless.

  4. recycled-one said:


    I've been putting in saddle time for the past week: Chilly last Saturday
    but otherwise beautiful every day. The weather channel - my bible - has been
    forecasting rain always a few days out so I've been hoarding the good
    cycling weather.

    The geese along the waterway trails seem to have all paired up and are
    busy shepherding ungainly gaggles of fuzzy little yellow goslings around.

    And I found a new trail! It appears to go from north of town all the way to
    Elmira. Kinda flat but pleasant enough as far as I went - about half-way.
    But it looks like the luck has run out: Pretty much a week of rain is
    forecast. POP's are in the 90%-100% range.

    I guess I'll explore the trail further after the rains.

    Elmira, New York? I'm about 50 miles east of there. Didn't know there was a
    trail near Elmira. Where are its ends?

    --
    Michael

  5. "Michael" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    recycled-one said:


    I've been putting in saddle time for the past week: Chilly last Saturday
    but otherwise beautiful every day. The weather channel - my bible - has
    been
    forecasting rain always a few days out so I've been hoarding the good
    cycling weather.

    The geese along the waterway trails seem to have all paired up and are
    busy shepherding ungainly gaggles of fuzzy little yellow goslings around.

    And I found a new trail! It appears to go from north of town all the way
    to
    Elmira. Kinda flat but pleasant enough as far as I went - about half-way.
    But it looks like the luck has run out: Pretty much a week of rain is
    forecast. POP's are in the 90%-100% range.

    I guess I'll explore the trail further after the rains.

    Elmira, New York? I'm about 50 miles east of there. Didn't know there
    was a
    trail near Elmira. Where are its ends?

    Nope Elmira Ontario. I don't think I could manage a Guelph Ont <-> Elmira
    NY trek, what with the border and my passport being expired and all.

    🙂

    Here is the Google map route. The trail starts off as a stone dust
    rail-trail but devolves into a double track:

    http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=177037

    According to Google it's 31 km one way. As I said I only went half way as a
    form of reconnoitre. It was a chilly day.

  6. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Brian Huntley said:

    You know, if you always have fenders on your bike, and carry extra
    rain gear in a bag on the back, you can hold off rain for an amazingly
    long time. Booties or WonderBread bags in their stead would probably
    be the clincher.

    I've got a way to keep my feet & shoes dry without resorting
    to breadbags or sweaty scuba gear ([neoprene] booties.)

    I've posted my solution here before.

    It works.

    cheers,
    Tom

    --
    -- Nothing is safe from me.
    Above address is just a spam midden.
    I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn [point] bc [point] ca

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.