Road Cycling · Public discussion

A Letter from Lance

Started by Richard Adams · · Last activity · 28 posts · 706 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
6 June 2004
Last activity
8 June 2004
Original author
Richard Adams
Posts
28
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
706
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–28 of 28
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. "Chris" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Sierraman" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Chris" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Sierraman" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    >
    > "Jim Flom" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    > news:Asxwc.22130$DV4.3576@clgrps13...
    > > "Jiyang Chen" wrote...
    > > > You typed this all out???

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Obviously you have not tried it.

    Only a dumbass would make this statement above.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    So you admit your experience is so far in the past as to be irrelevant and
    you stubbornly post 3 misleading articles anyway?

    Another dumbass presumption.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    My point is apps like OmniPage are only good with reasonable text that


    can

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    be converted by OCR like typed text, any wild fonts, cursive


    handwriting,

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    even print handwriting and the like have poor results.

    So what? Any font at all can be changed to an optimized font. The only


    thing

    Quoted message said:

    that would be slightly difficult would be to run OCR on a funky styled and
    laid out print job and editing it without leaving that layout style. Big
    deal. Most corespondence (letters) fall in the category of 10+ points


    arial

    Quoted message said:

    (sans serif) or times (serif) fonts are are very easily scanned with no
    corrections required. That has been the state of OCR for several years


    now.

    Talking about wild fonts on a graphics page.

    Quoted message said:


    I have used Omnipage

    Quoted message said:

    over the years and I have tested their claims many times as they boasted
    better OCR with each new version. While I don't mind correcting a few
    characters, I wouldn't say it's perfect even on the clear text scan. The
    results can be good but not always perfect. The point again is it's


    limits

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    are based on size, clarity and the font type of the scanned text. OCR ha


    s

    Quoted message said:

    a

    Quoted message said:

    ways to go.

    Please indicate WHICH version. It started to get very accurate around
    version 9 or so and is now up to version 14. I use 10.5 and I have no


    reason

    Quoted message said:

    to consider an upgrade at this point.

    Well, I tried 10 but since you haven't tried anything newer then 10, how
    would you know about the improvements of 14? Again, presumptions.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    Da... yeah, but that's not what I am talking about. I was talking about


    a

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    way to convert the text from a graphic that is on your PC or MAC without
    using a scanner.

    Da...yeah, it is the same thing.

    No it's not and the type of scanner is an obvious factor.

    Quoted message said:


    Software that can do the conversion without Hardware. I

    Quoted message said:

    don't believe I know of any.

    No surprises about your lack of knowledge. Believe it or not, most high


    end

    Quoted message said:

    graphics suites have an OCR engine. In addition, every single OCR
    application I have used has also had the capability of running OCR on an
    existing graphics file. IOW, no need to have it directly from the scanner.
    It may be that some users assume the scanner is required because the


    largest

    Quoted message said:

    button on the software controls will fire up the default scanner.

    Well, you need a scanner to get it into the PC, if it's not on the drive
    already, say from a magazine. I haven't used Omnipage for onboard graphics
    file, so I don't know at which point they started doing that, but at the
    time OmniPage was the only one with any real practical use.

    Quoted message said:


    I haven't searched for a long time to see what

    Quoted message said:

    developers have come up with but I'd be interested in any progress in


    this

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    area.

    That is very obvious.

    Yet another presumption.
    You are a rude MF aren't you. You make a lot of presumptions.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    >If it was an email, then of course
    > text but otherwise if snail mail letter then I think he typed it.

    Thanks for nothing but misleading statements.

    Thanks for not knowing what you are talking about.

    You should go to your water closet and say that in your mirror. I tried to
    help you, but sticking to your original statement (no matter how wrong) is
    much more important to you than conceding or learning. I gave you enough
    information with sufficient references to validate everything I said. You
    can download trial packages from any of the big OCR software vendors
    including Omnipage. I guess your hope is simply that others won't check


    the

    Quoted message said:

    facts and you won't look stupid? Don't count on it.

    Go suck on your mothers [censored] too. Typical RBR [censored], not worth the time
    responding too.

  2. On 6 Jun 2004 03:17:56 -0700, [email hidden] (Evan Evans)

    Quoted message said:

    Somehow i don't see Armstrong riding all alone like the rest of us.
    Iam still glad he supports such a thing.

    Who can keep up with him? Probably has his own broom wagon though.

  3. Richard Adams <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Just got this letter from Lance Armstrong, which is a plug for League of
    American Bicyclists:

    Dear Fellow Cyclis,

    When I ride the Tour de France, I benefit from police escorts and roads
    closed to automobile traffic. But when I train hundreds of miles a week
    at home, I face the same difficulties riding on the road as you do.

    I get this letter every year.

    Quoted message said:


    Narrow roads and nonexistent shoulders, aggressive and sometimes hostile
    motorists, lack of bike access to bridges and transit -- these problems
    are enough to frustrate any cyclist.

    But like you, I am not willing to give up and throw away my bike.
    Rather, I believe that we need to evaluate the problems and work
    together to come up with good, practical solutions that improve
    conditiions for cyclists and encourage many more people to join us on bikes.
    ...

  4. Richard Adams said:

    But like you, I am not willing to [...]

    Or better: "But, like you, I am not etc."
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1861976127

  5. K. J. Papai said:

    Richard Adams <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Just got this letter from Lance Armstrong, which is a plug for
    League of
    American Bicyclists:

    Dear Fellow Cyclis,

    When I ride the Tour de France, I benefit from police escorts and
    roads
    closed to automobile traffic. But when I train hundreds of miles a
    week
    at home, I face the same difficulties riding on the road as you do.

    I get this letter every year.


    Usually signed and perfumed, with Lance Lipstick marks.

  6. "Kyle Legate" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Usually signed and perfumed, with Lance Lipstick marks.

    Second generation this year from Sheryl?

  7. B. Lafferty said:

    "Kyle Legate" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Usually signed and perfumed, with Lance Lipstick marks.

    Second generation this year from Sheryl?

    All Kyle gets is an annual restraining order to keep away from Kid Rock.

  8. "Richard Adams" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    All Kyle gets is an annual restraining order to keep away from Kid Rock.


    Who?

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.