General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

A lovely meal out outside

Started by Goomba38 · · Last activity · 16 posts · 154 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
24 April 2007
Last activity
25 April 2007
Original author
Goomba38
Posts
16
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
154
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–16 of 16
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. For a simple, quick weeknight meal enjoyed sitting outside this one was
    outstanding.

    Moroccan Vegetable Stew with Couscous. The cut up dried figs and almonds
    in the couscous were a nice addition. Garnished with plain yogurt and
    fresh mint-
    http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=29dfq4o

    I picked up a gallon of the deepest red berries, all wonderfully ripe
    and sweet. The large heaping gallon tub of pre-picked berries cost $10
    at a farm stand down the road but when I took the berries and left him
    the bucket to use again he topped off my bag with some more berries-
    http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2pr8p50

    I used a bit of splenda on the cut berries. I then poured some
    Jackson-Triggs Vidal Icewine (2003) I have had in the back of the fridge
    over them and allowed them to macerate a bit. The results were so
    refreshing, yet simple! I wasn't nuts about this ice wine at first as it
    has a strong "honey" flavor which I'm not keen on....but this will be a
    wonderful way to enjoy it and use it up!
    http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2u7936r

  2. On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 22:05:05 -0400, Goomba38 <[email hidden]>
    wrote:

    I wasn't nuts about this ice wine at first as it

    Quoted message said:

    has a strong "honey" flavor which I'm not keen on....but this will be a
    wonderful way to enjoy it and use it up!
    http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2u7936r

    How would it work as a dessert wine, other than the way you used it
    tonight? From your description, it sounds like it would be good with
    apple or pear desserts. Or peaches.

    I may be wrong on this, but from what I have read and can remember off
    the top of my head, dessert wines are usually matched with desserts
    that are slightly less sweet than the dessert wine itself. Maybe
    someone here knows the answer to this.

    Sounds good, no matter what. 😉

    Christine

  3. Christine Dabney said:

    How would it work as a dessert wine, other than the way you used it
    tonight? From your description, it sounds like it would be good with
    apple or pear desserts. Or peaches

    I loved ice wine in Germany as an after dinner drink alone. I sought out
    a German icewein but the shop didn't carry any at that time. This one is
    Canadian. It has such a pronounced "honey" flavor (to me) that I didn't
    really care for it at first. The label suggests pairing it with "fresh
    fruit, fois gras or liver pate"
    ..

    Quoted message said:


    I may be wrong on this, but from what I have read and can remember off
    the top of my head, dessert wines are usually matched with desserts
    that are slightly less sweet than the dessert wine itself. Maybe
    someone here knows the answer to this.

    I think the berries, while sweet, were less sweet than the wine. The
    juices/wine left in the bottom of the bowl were incredible!!
    This will be repeated as long as the berries hold out.

  4. Christine Dabney said:

    I may be wrong on this, but from what I have read and can remember off
    the top of my head, dessert wines are usually matched with desserts
    that are slightly less sweet than the dessert wine itself. Maybe
    someone here knows the answer to this.

    Sounds good, no matter what. 😉

    Christine

    We recently had a wine that was similar to an ice wine. We had it with
    vanilla ice cream at the recommendation of the wine seller. It was
    fabulous like that. Bite of ice cream, sip of wine...

    --
    Caryn
    Caryn Nadelberg - Mommy to Sam and Queen of the May
    www.carynen.blogspot.com

  5. Goomba38 said:

    For a simple, quick weeknight meal enjoyed sitting outside this one was
    outstanding.

    Moroccan Vegetable Stew with Couscous. The cut up dried figs and almonds
    in the couscous were a nice addition. Garnished with plain yogurt and
    fresh mint-http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=29dfq4o

    It sounds absolutely wonderful. I've not tried Moroccan cooking. . .
    Sounds very adventurous.

    Myrl
    http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

  6. Goomba38 said:

    I used a bit of splenda on the cut berries. I then poured some
    Jackson-Triggs Vidal Icewine (2003) I have had in the back of the fridge
    over them and allowed them to macerate a bit. The results were so
    refreshing, yet simple! I wasn't nuts about this ice wine at first as it
    has a strong "honey" flavor which I'm not keen on....but this will be a
    wonderful way to enjoy it and use it up!
    http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2u7936r

    Ah! Strawberry season has just arrived here, and I have the perfect vessel
    for that kind of libation! Thanks for the reminder; I just might have to
    post a pic here myself soon. (Well, not REAL soon: I won't be making that
    until May 6th or thereabouts, due to other demands on my time. But the seed
    has been planted...)

    Bob

  7. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Goomba38 said:

    Moroccan Vegetable Stew with Couscous. The cut up dried figs and almonds
    in the couscous were a nice addition. Garnished with plain yogurt and
    fresh mint-
    http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=29dfq4o

    Looks lovely. What is it that makes it Moroccan? Seasonings, I'm
    guessing. OK, maybe the chickpeas, too? Did you make it up as you went
    along or have a guide? Let's have some particulars here, Woman!

    Quoted message said:

    I picked up a gallon of the deepest red berries,

    I won't see locally grown strawberries here for another couple 7-8
    weeks. Color me Envy Green.

    --
    -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
    http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - blahblahblog - Orange Honey
    Garlic Chicken, 3-29-2007
    jamlady.eboard.com
    http:/http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor/

  8. "Goomba38" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    It all looks lovely. The couscous looks delicious.
    I've got to wait until July for fresh strawberries! (Well English ones
    anyway).
    I'm so envious of you!

    Sarah

  9. Melba's Jammin said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Goomba38 said:

    Moroccan Vegetable Stew with Couscous. The cut up dried figs and almonds
    in the couscous were a nice addition. Garnished with plain yogurt and
    fresh mint-
    http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=29dfq4o

    Looks lovely. What is it that makes it Moroccan? Seasonings, I'm
    guessing. OK, maybe the chickpeas, too? Did you make it up as you went
    along or have a guide? Let's have some particulars here, Woman!

    The recipe called it Moroccan? LOL. I didn't make it up. I have had this
    recipe for nigh on 10 years and enjoy pulling it out now and then.
    Cheap, quick, vegetarian, lovely to look at and declicious!

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I picked up a gallon of the deepest red berries,

    I won't see locally grown strawberries here for another couple 7-8
    weeks. Color me Envy Green.


    I was a little surprised by the exceptional quality of these berries.
    The farm is upcountry South Carolina and they've been selling for a week
    or so here. Is $10/gallon steep for prepicked berries? I dunno? Not a
    one of them were less than perfect and none I've tasted so far have been
    too [censored] or underripe. The ice wine was just perfect with them and the
    juices combined ended up tasting like the a delightful champagne punch
    or something? I had paid about $25 for the ice wine and didn't really
    like this one for sipping, so it gives me a nice way to enjoy it and use
    it up.

  10. Sarah said:


    "Goomba38" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    It all looks lovely. The couscous looks delicious.
    I've got to wait until July for fresh strawberries! (Well English ones
    anyway).
    I'm so envious of you!

    Sarah

    I loved the figs and almonds in the couscous. I don't think I've ever
    bothered adding them before when I've made this recipe? I have the rest
    of the bag of dried mission figs to use. They taste just like a fig
    newton sans the newton, lol!

  11. "Melba's Jammin'" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Goomba38 said:

    I picked up a gallon of the deepest red berries,

    I won't see locally grown strawberries here for another couple 7-8
    weeks. Color me Envy Green.

    That is so sad ....................... NOT! <giggle>

    TammyM

  12. Goomba38 said:

    I was a little surprised by the exceptional quality of these berries.
    The farm is upcountry South Carolina and they've been selling for a week
    or so here. Is $10/gallon steep for prepicked berries?

    Strawberries have been in our New England supermarkets for $2.50/pound.
    The container looks like that's about a pint. So that's the same
    price. The added quality makes up for the fact that you have to buy in
    bulk. I'd say you're getting the going price.

    --Lia

  13. On Apr 24, 9:13 am, Melba's Jammin' <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Goomba38 said:

    Moroccan Vegetable Stew with Couscous. The cut up dried figs and almonds
    in the couscous were a nice addition. Garnished with plain yogurt and
    fresh mint-
    http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=29dfq4o

    Looks lovely. What is it that makes it Moroccan? Seasonings, I'm
    guessing. OK, maybe the chickpeas, too? Did you make it up as you went
    along or have a guide? Let's have some particulars here, Woman!

    Ok, delurking to say...I asked my (Moroccan) husband about this
    recipe. He said "I saw a recipe for Irish Stew with soy sauce,
    teriyaki, ...." and I said, "What makes that Irish?" and he said,
    "hahahha".

    A more Moroccan version would have ginger, cilantro, no curry or
    cardamon and no yogurt and mint garnish. This is not to say that the
    dish is not good or tasty, but to call it Moroccan is a stretch.

    -Tracy


  14. Quoted message said:

    Ok, delurking to say...I asked my (Moroccan) husband about this
    recipe. He said "I saw a recipe for Irish Stew with soy sauce,
    teriyaki, ...." and I said, "What makes that Irish?" and he said,
    "hahahha".

    A more Moroccan version would have ginger, cilantro, no curry or
    cardamon and no yogurt and mint garnish. This is not to say that the
    dish is not good or tasty, but to call it Moroccan is a stretch.


    It was given to me with the Moroccan nomenclature, and since I've
    actually forgotten who gave it to me...I can rename it! Any suggestions?

  15. In article <[email hidden]>,

    TammyM said:

    "Melba's Jammin'" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Goomba38 said:

    I picked up a gallon of the deepest red berries,

    I won't see locally grown strawberries here for another couple 7-8
    weeks. Color me Envy Green.

    That is so sad ....................... NOT! <giggle>

    TammyM

    [censored]! <giving as good as she gets>
    --
    -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
    http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - blahblahblog - Orange Honey
    Garlic Chicken, 3-29-2007
    jamlady.eboard.com
    http:/http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor/

  16. Goomba38 said:


    Quoted message said:

    Ok, delurking to say...I asked my (Moroccan) husband about this
    recipe. He said "I saw a recipe for Irish Stew with soy sauce,
    teriyaki, ...." and I said, "What makes that Irish?" and he said,
    "hahahha".

    A more Moroccan version would have ginger, cilantro, no curry or
    cardamon and no yogurt and mint garnish. This is not to say that the
    dish is not good or tasty, but to call it Moroccan is a stretch.


    It was given to me with the Moroccan nomenclature, and since I've
    actually forgotten who gave it to me...I can rename it! Any suggestions?

    Hmmm. Spicy Vegetable Stew with Almond Fig Couscous?

    -Tracy

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.