A New Fatty Joins in

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Mark & Ana Jones, Jan 9, 2005.

  1. Good morning,

    I've jumped in and out of the Atkins before with some success but have lost
    my books. I want a Low-Carb not a No-carb diet so can someone please either
    answer these questions or point me to a FAQ or a suitable URL. Thanks.

    1. What is considered a reasonable "Low-Carb" intro? How is it measured?
    2. Alcohol, none or some allowed. Spirits better than Beer?
    3. Any suggestions for breakfast apart from a fry up. I really feel I should
    be taking some fruit or cereal.
    4. I was 21 stone last Sunday (134kg), and I'm 6'4" (195cm) & a BMI of 35! I
    know I can drop to 18 stone in a few months by cutting out the beer and
    walking 5 miles a week. However my brothers of similar build are 15/16
    stone. How much is a safe and realistic target to lose per week?
    5. I can lose the pasta, pizzas, white bread, fries and mashed potatoes but
    I'd really like to keep some granary bread and jacket potatoes in my diet.
    Can I and if so how many carbs are in a decent size Jacket potato?

    I look forward to reading your replies

    Cheers
    --
    Mark Jones

    Tags:

  2. kaye

    kaye Guest

    Hello Mark

    And welcome.

    "Mark & Ana Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > I've jumped in and out of the Atkins before with some success but have
    > lost
    > my books. I want a Low-Carb not a No-carb diet so can someone please
    > either
    > answer these questions or point me to a FAQ or a suitable URL. Thanks.

    If you do a quick google we do have a FAQ for this group, you will also find
    a lot of websites that give you details of low and restriced carb diets. Dr
    Atkins diet starts off on induction with under 20g of carb in a day for 2
    weeks. ( I can't remember after that, because I passed on my book to a much
    more needing source)

    > 1. What is considered a reasonable "Low-Carb" intro? How is it measured?

    Dr Atkins diet starts off on induction with under 20g of carb in a day for 2
    weeks. ( I can't remember after that, because I passed on my book to a much
    more needing source)

    > 2. Alcohol, none or some allowed. Spirits better than Beer?

    Avoid alcohol for a little while, give your body a break and treat it
    expecially well.

    > 3. Any suggestions for breakfast apart from a fry up. I really feel I
    > should
    > be taking some fruit or cereal.
    > 4. I was 21 stone last Sunday (134kg), and I'm 6'4" (195cm) & a BMI of 35!
    > know I can drop to 18 stone in a few months by cutting out the beer and
    > walking 5 miles a week. However my brothers of similar build are 15/16
    > stone. How much is a safe and realistic target to lose per week?

    A B.M.I. of 26 and over (some sources say over 25) is considered overweight.
    For someone of 6'4" tall, you need to get to 205lbs to have a B.M.I. of 25.
    Don't be overwhelmed by that. The speed that you lose weight is personal,
    don't fret if you loose slowly, just stick to plan, keep your diet healthy
    and exercise regularly, not all progress is measured in pounds. You may
    find that your CV capacity is bigger, or that your waitsline has shrunk.

    Set yourself small goals weight wise, and other goals health wise. You are
    already getting there by thinking of giving up the beer and doing some
    exercise.

    > 5. I can lose the pasta, pizzas, white bread, fries and mashed potatoes
    > but
    > I'd really like to keep some granary bread and jacket potatoes in my diet
    > Can I and if so how many carbs are in a decent size Jacket potato?

    Some plans, I think it is Protein Power (I'm really not sure), encourages
    you to eat one slice of bread a day. I couldn't stick to that, each to
    their own though.

    I did a quick google and found a few sites that might help with you getting
    straight on which foods contain what. Here are some of the results:-
    www.nutritiondata.com/
    www.weightlossresources.co.uk
    www.fitday.com/

    There are lots of places where you can get reduced carb recipies, go google,
    or borrow a book from the library.

    I hope that this helps. Let us know how you are getting along.

    Kaye

    Don't use that magical, mysterious, joy fantastic fascinating word called
    love unless you love me to the nines

  3. diane

    diane Guest

    www.atkins.com the whole plan is here and support. Do read the entire plan.
    I'm leery of those who don't see the whole plan, past induction

    google the "USDA food database" and download it to your desktop. Last tool,
    www.fitday.com. All these things are interactive- one key to success in my
    book.

    These were my tools of choice besides for reading this newsgroup.

    One more thing....DO tell your co-workers your going to lose weight. Don't
    tell them how, You will tell them after they can see the weight change. A
    challenge is fun.

    --
    Diane

    news:[email protected]

  4. diane wrote:
    > www.atkins.com

    Kaye & Diane,

    Thanks for your welcome & advice so far.

    From a bit of research it looks like I can deduct the fibre from the carbs
    to give me a net carb figure? yes/no?

    If this is correct then we should all be eating mushrooms.

    100g of mushrooms = 0.4g carb minus 1.1g fibre which equates to -0.7 carbs.
    This @ 13 calories per 100g means that I need to eat 15 kg of mushrooms per
    day to reach 2000 calories - which equates to a negative value of carbs
    still (-10,500g).

    Have I got this low-carb thing right?

    aren't numbers great when you play with them LOL !

    Mark

  5. Stefan Holm

    Stefan Holm Guest

    "Mark & Ana Jones" <[email protected]> writes:

    > From a bit of research it looks like I can deduct the fibre from the carbs
    > to give me a net carb figure? yes/no?

    Depends. In some countries (and for some products) it is customary to
    already deduct the fibres from the carb content on the declarations
    and such-

    > If this is correct then we should all be eating mushrooms.
    >
    > 100g of mushrooms = 0.4g carb minus 1.1g fibre which equates to -0.7
    > carbs.

    Which doesn't make sense. So in this case the carb count is already
    without the fibre. Which is a good thing, since I don't like
    mushrooms, and so a negative carb-content would put me in a bit of a
    dilemma.

    --
    Stefan Holm
    289/240/170 since: 07/08/2004 monthly-goal: 6

  6. Bread and potatoes are not low carb.

    --
    Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW

    "Mark & Ana Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Good morning,
    >
    > I've jumped in and out of the Atkins before with some success but have
    > lost
    > my books. I want a Low-Carb not a No-carb diet so can someone please
    > either
    > answer these questions or point me to a FAQ or a suitable URL. Thanks.
    >
    > 1. What is considered a reasonable "Low-Carb" intro? How is it measured?
    > 2. Alcohol, none or some allowed. Spirits better than Beer?
    > 3. Any suggestions for breakfast apart from a fry up. I really feel I
    > should
    > be taking some fruit or cereal.
    > 4. I was 21 stone last Sunday (134kg), and I'm 6'4" (195cm) & a BMI of 35!
    > know I can drop to 18 stone in a few months by cutting out the beer and
    > walking 5 miles a week. However my brothers of similar build are 15/16
    > stone. How much is a safe and realistic target to lose per week?
    > 5. I can lose the pasta, pizzas, white bread, fries and mashed potatoes
    > but
    > I'd really like to keep some granary bread and jacket potatoes in my diet.
    > Can I and if so how many carbs are in a decent size Jacket potato?
    >
    > I look forward to reading your replies
    >
    > Cheers
    > --
    > Mark Jones

  7. marengo

    marengo Guest

    "Mark & Ana Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    || diane wrote:
    ||| www.atkins.com
    || Kaye & Diane,
    || Thanks for your welcome & advice so far.
    || From a bit of research it looks like I can deduct the fibre from the
    || carbs to give me a net carb figure? yes/no?
    || If this is correct then we should all be eating mushrooms.
    || 100g of mushrooms = 0.4g carb minus 1.1g fibre which equates to -0.7
    || carbs. This @ 13 calories per 100g means that I need to eat 15 kg of
    || mushrooms per day to reach 2000 calories - which equates to a
    || negative value of carbs still (-10,500g).
    || Have I got this low-carb thing right?
    || aren't numbers great when you play with them LOL !
    || Mark

    Mislabeling; a negative carb count is impossible. Since fiber IS a
    carbohydrate it's impossible to have more fiber than carbs.

    --
    Peter
    270/219/180

  8. marengo

    marengo Guest

    "Mark & Ana Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    || diane wrote:
    ||| www.atkins.com
    || Kaye & Diane,
    || Thanks for your welcome & advice so far.
    || From a bit of research it looks like I can deduct the fibre from the
    || carbs to give me a net carb figure? yes/no?
    || If this is correct then we should all be eating mushrooms.
    || 100g of mushrooms = 0.4g carb minus 1.1g fibre which equates to -0.7
    || carbs. This @ 13 calories per 100g means that I need to eat 15 kg of
    || mushrooms per day to reach 2000 calories - which equates to a
    || negative value of carbs still (-10,500g).
    || Have I got this low-carb thing right?
    || aren't numbers great when you play with them LOL !
    || Mark

    Mislabeling; a negative carb count is impossible. Since fiber IS a
    carbohydrate it's impossible to have more fiber than carbs.

    --
    Peter
    270/219/180
    website: http://users.thelink.net/marengo

  9. diane

    diane Guest

    yes deduct the fiber from the carbs to get the net carbs.

    All this research you will be doing will help you redesign your eating
    habits. Might make you seem fanatical around your friends and
    family....That's where we come in in the newsgroup- we've been there.

    --
    Diane

    news:[email protected]

  10. diane wrote:
    > yes deduct the fiber from the carbs to get the net carbs.
    >
    > All this research you will be doing will help you redesign your eating
    > habits. Might make you seem fanatical around your friends and
    > family....That's where we come in in the newsgroup- we've been there.

    Diane,

    Co-incidently, I've just pulled out a pocket size diet booklet that came
    free with The Sunday Times (I'm in the UK) today.

    The new "GL" diet is all about good, medium and bad carbs which means for
    instance that baked beans are good despite their high carb content.

    It claims that some carbs are closer chemically to glucose such as the
    processed foods than others such as high bran bread or raw vegetables. This
    is how they claim you can eat more than say 20g of carbs - providing that
    it's the "safe or good" carbs. Apparently insulin is still the common factor
    as with previous low-carb diets.

    It goes on to recommend Tesco's - one of our largest high quality
    supermarkets, who are branding hundreds of their goods with a high, medfium
    or low "GL" label from this month onwards.

    Any thoughts anyone?

    Mark

  11. Saffire

    Saffire Guest

  12. Sammy

    Sammy Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Mark & Ana Jones" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Co-incidently, I've just pulled out a pocket size diet booklet that came
    > free with The Sunday Times (I'm in the UK) today.
    >
    > The new "GL" diet is all about good, medium and bad carbs which means for
    > instance that baked beans are good despite their high carb content.
    >
    > It claims that some carbs are closer chemically to glucose such as the
    > processed foods than others such as high bran bread or raw vegetables. This
    > is how they claim you can eat more than say 20g of carbs - providing that
    > it's the "safe or good" carbs. Apparently insulin is still the common factor
    > as with previous low-carb diets.

    I'm afraid that's wishful thinking - beans may have a low glycemic
    index, but baked beans are basically marinated in sugar.

  13. kaye

    kaye Guest

    Mark

    In the UK, the carb count already has the fiber subtracted. Made easy
    enough already.

    Kaye

    --
    Don't use that magical, mysterious, joy fantastic fascinating word called
    love unless you love me to the nines."
    "Mark & Ana Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > diane wrote:
    >> www.atkins.com

    > Kaye & Diane,
    >
    > Thanks for your welcome & advice so far.
    >
    > From a bit of research it looks like I can deduct the fibre from the carbs
    > to give me a net carb figure? yes/no?
    >
    > If this is correct then we should all be eating mushrooms.
    >
    > 100g of mushrooms = 0.4g carb minus 1.1g fibre which equates to -0.7
    > carbs.
    > This @ 13 calories per 100g means that I need to eat 15 kg of mushrooms
    > per
    > day to reach 2000 calories - which equates to a negative value of carbs
    > still (-10,500g).
    >
    > Have I got this low-carb thing right?
    >
    > aren't numbers great when you play with them LOL !
    >
    > Mark

  14. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    Mark & Ana Jones wrote:
    || diane wrote:
    ||| yes deduct the fiber from the carbs to get the net carbs.
    ||| All this research you will be doing will help you redesign your
    ||| eating habits. Might make you seem fanatical around your friends and
    ||| family....That's where we come in in the newsgroup- we've been
    ||| there.
    || Diane,
    || Co-incidently, I've just pulled out a pocket size diet booklet that
    || came free with The Sunday Times (I'm in the UK) today.
    || The new "GL" diet is all about good, medium and bad carbs which
    || means for instance that baked beans are good despite their high carb
    || content.
    || It claims that some carbs are closer chemically to glucose such as
    || the processed foods than others such as high bran bread or raw
    || vegetables. This is how they claim you can eat more than say 20g of
    || carbs - providing that it's the "safe or good" carbs. Apparently
    || insulin is still the common factor as with previous low-carb diets.
    || It goes on to recommend Tesco's - one of our largest high quality
    || supermarkets, who are branding hundreds of their goods with a high,
    || medfium or low "GL" label from this month onwards.
    || Any thoughts anyone?

    Yeah -- I think it's nonsense, mostly. Eat carbs that the good veggies -
    cauliflower, broccoli, spinach, lettuce, cabbage, cucumbers, olives, squash,
    raddishes, etc. Skip the beans, unless they are green beans.

  15. Anthony

    Anthony Guest

    "Mark & Ana Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Good morning,
    >
    > I've jumped in and out of the Atkins before with some success but have
    > lost
    > my books. I want a Low-Carb not a No-carb diet so can someone please
    > either
    > answer these questions or point me to a FAQ or a suitable URL. Thanks.

    Hi Mark:

    If, as seems to be the case, you're not wedded to the idea of buying
    books or doing a lot of research, here's a simpler suggestion, one which
    will work. Stop eating three things, namely starchy vegetables, fruit and
    sugar. If you can, cut out alcohol; if you can't, stick to white liquor,
    like vodka and gin. Take an hour of brisk exercise six days a week; what
    seems brisk to you will change as your fitness level improves and you lose
    fat. I suggest that you alternate cardio and weight bearing.
    Just to elucidate a bit, starchy vegetables include all grains and seeds
    like rice, wheat, corn, oats, barley etc, potatoes, both sweet and not, and
    peas, beans (except green beans) chick peas and carrots, fruit means all,
    repeat all fruit, and sugar includes beet and cane sugar, maple syrup, honey
    and most artificial sweeteners. Eat regularly taking in a mix of protein,
    fat and the permitted veg and keep your appetite satisfied without stuffing
    yourself to bursting point.
    Have your body fat measured by the skinfold test and repeat this every
    three months or so. Same with your bloodwork. Weigh yourself every day and
    if you are gaining either increase the exercise or cut back a bit on your
    food intake.

    Good luck.

  16. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    Anthony wrote:
    || "Mark & Ana Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in
    || message news:[email protected]
    ||| Good morning,
    ||| I've jumped in and out of the Atkins before with some success but
    ||| have lost
    ||| my books. I want a Low-Carb not a No-carb diet so can someone please
    ||| either
    ||| answer these questions or point me to a FAQ or a suitable URL.
    ||| Thanks.
    || Hi Mark:
    || If, as seems to be the case, you're not wedded to the idea of
    || buying books or doing a lot of research, here's a simpler
    || suggestion, one which will work. Stop eating three things, namely
    || starchy vegetables, fruit and sugar. If you can, cut out alcohol;
    || if you can't, stick to white liquor, like vodka and gin. Take an
    || hour of brisk exercise six days a week; what seems brisk to you will
    || change as your fitness level improves and you lose fat. I suggest
    || that you alternate cardio and weight bearing.
    || Just to elucidate a bit, starchy vegetables include all grains and
    || seeds like rice, wheat, corn, oats, barley etc, potatoes, both sweet
    || and not, and peas, beans (except green beans) chick peas and
    || carrots, fruit means all, repeat all fruit, and sugar includes beet
    || and cane sugar, maple syrup, honey and most artificial sweeteners.
    || Eat regularly taking in a mix of protein, fat and the permitted veg
    || and keep your appetite satisfied without stuffing yourself to
    || bursting point. Have your body fat measured by the skinfold test
    || and repeat this every three months or so. Same with your bloodwork.
    || Weigh yourself every day and if you are gaining either increase the
    || exercise or cut back a bit on your food intake.
    || Good luck.

    That's pretty much it, though the non-AS may not be necessary.

  17. Well thanks everyone. This seems like a very healthy ng (excuse the pun).
    I've learnt a lot already.

    Mark