A New Fatty Joins in

  • Thread starter Mark & Ana Jones
  • Start date



M

Mark & Ana Jones

Guest
Good morning,

I've jumped in and out of the Atkins before with some success but have lost
my books. I want a Low-Carb not a No-carb diet so can someone please either
answer these questions or point me to a FAQ or a suitable URL. Thanks.

1. What is considered a reasonable "Low-Carb" intro? How is it measured?
2. Alcohol, none or some allowed. Spirits better than Beer?
3. Any suggestions for breakfast apart from a fry up. I really feel I should
be taking some fruit or cereal.
4. I was 21 stone last Sunday (134kg), and I'm 6'4" (195cm) & a BMI of 35! I
know I can drop to 18 stone in a few months by cutting out the beer and
walking 5 miles a week. However my brothers of similar build are 15/16
stone. How much is a safe and realistic target to lose per week?
5. I can lose the pasta, pizzas, white bread, fries and mashed potatoes but
I'd really like to keep some granary bread and jacket potatoes in my diet.
Can I and if so how many carbs are in a decent size Jacket potato?

I look forward to reading your replies

Cheers
--
Mark Jones
 
K

kaye

Guest
Hello Mark

And welcome.

"Mark & Ana Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]


> I've jumped in and out of the Atkins before with some success but have
> lost
> my books. I want a Low-Carb not a No-carb diet so can someone please
> either
> answer these questions or point me to a FAQ or a suitable URL. Thanks.


If you do a quick google we do have a FAQ for this group, you will also find
a lot of websites that give you details of low and restriced carb diets. Dr
Atkins diet starts off on induction with under 20g of carb in a day for 2
weeks. ( I can't remember after that, because I passed on my book to a much
more needing source)

> 1. What is considered a reasonable "Low-Carb" intro? How is it measured?


Dr Atkins diet starts off on induction with under 20g of carb in a day for 2
weeks. ( I can't remember after that, because I passed on my book to a much
more needing source)

> 2. Alcohol, none or some allowed. Spirits better than Beer?


Avoid alcohol for a little while, give your body a break and treat it
expecially well.

> 3. Any suggestions for breakfast apart from a fry up. I really feel I
> should
> be taking some fruit or cereal.
> 4. I was 21 stone last Sunday (134kg), and I'm 6'4" (195cm) & a BMI of 35!
> I
> know I can drop to 18 stone in a few months by cutting out the beer and
> walking 5 miles a week. However my brothers of similar build are 15/16
> stone. How much is a safe and realistic target to lose per week?


A B.M.I. of 26 and over (some sources say over 25) is considered overweight.
For someone of 6'4" tall, you need to get to 205lbs to have a B.M.I. of 25.
Don't be overwhelmed by that. The speed that you lose weight is personal,
don't fret if you loose slowly, just stick to plan, keep your diet healthy
and exercise regularly, not all progress is measured in pounds. You may
find that your CV capacity is bigger, or that your waitsline has shrunk.

Set yourself small goals weight wise, and other goals health wise. You are
already getting there by thinking of giving up the beer and doing some
exercise.

> 5. I can lose the pasta, pizzas, white bread, fries and mashed potatoes
> but
> I'd really like to keep some granary bread and jacket potatoes in my diet
> Can I and if so how many carbs are in a decent size Jacket potato?


Some plans, I think it is Protein Power (I'm really not sure), encourages
you to eat one slice of bread a day. I couldn't stick to that, each to
their own though.

I did a quick google and found a few sites that might help with you getting
straight on which foods contain what. Here are some of the results:-
www.nutritiondata.com/
www.weightlossresources.co.uk
www.fitday.com/

There are lots of places where you can get reduced carb recipies, go google,
or borrow a book from the library.

I hope that this helps. Let us know how you are getting along.

Kaye

Don't use that magical, mysterious, joy fantastic fascinating word called
love unless you love me to the nines
 
D

diane

Guest
www.atkins.com the whole plan is here and support. Do read the entire plan.
I'm leery of those who don't see the whole plan, past induction

google the "USDA food database" and download it to your desktop. Last tool,
www.fitday.com. All these things are interactive- one key to success in my
book.

These were my tools of choice besides for reading this newsgroup.

One more thing....DO tell your co-workers your going to lose weight. Don't
tell them how, You will tell them after they can see the weight change. A
challenge is fun.

--
Diane



"kaye" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Hello Mark
>
> And welcome.
>
> "Mark & Ana Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>
>
>> I've jumped in and out of the Atkins before with some success but have
>> lost
>> my books. I want a Low-Carb not a No-carb diet so can someone please
>> either
>> answer these questions or point me to a FAQ or a suitable URL. Thanks.

>
> If you do a quick google we do have a FAQ for this group, you will also
> find a lot of websites that give you details of low and restriced carb
> diets. Dr Atkins diet starts off on induction with under 20g of carb in a
> day for 2 weeks. ( I can't remember after that, because I passed on my
> book to a much more needing source)
>
>> 1. What is considered a reasonable "Low-Carb" intro? How is it measured?

>
> Dr Atkins diet starts off on induction with under 20g of carb in a day for
> 2 weeks. ( I can't remember after that, because I passed on my book to a
> much more needing source)
>
>> 2. Alcohol, none or some allowed. Spirits better than Beer?

>
> Avoid alcohol for a little while, give your body a break and treat it
> expecially well.
>
>> 3. Any suggestions for breakfast apart from a fry up. I really feel I
>> should
>> be taking some fruit or cereal.
>> 4. I was 21 stone last Sunday (134kg), and I'm 6'4" (195cm) & a BMI of
>> 35! I
>> know I can drop to 18 stone in a few months by cutting out the beer and
>> walking 5 miles a week. However my brothers of similar build are 15/16
>> stone. How much is a safe and realistic target to lose per week?

>
> A B.M.I. of 26 and over (some sources say over 25) is considered
> overweight. For someone of 6'4" tall, you need to get to 205lbs to have a
> B.M.I. of 25. Don't be overwhelmed by that. The speed that you lose
> weight is personal, don't fret if you loose slowly, just stick to plan,
> keep your diet healthy and exercise regularly, not all progress is
> measured in pounds. You may find that your CV capacity is bigger, or that
> your waitsline has shrunk.
>
> Set yourself small goals weight wise, and other goals health wise. You
> are already getting there by thinking of giving up the beer and doing some
> exercise.
>
>> 5. I can lose the pasta, pizzas, white bread, fries and mashed potatoes
>> but
>> I'd really like to keep some granary bread and jacket potatoes in my diet
>> Can I and if so how many carbs are in a decent size Jacket potato?

>
> Some plans, I think it is Protein Power (I'm really not sure), encourages
> you to eat one slice of bread a day. I couldn't stick to that, each to
> their own though.
>
> I did a quick google and found a few sites that might help with you
> getting straight on which foods contain what. Here are some of the
> results:-
> www.nutritiondata.com/
> www.weightlossresources.co.uk
> www.fitday.com/
>
> There are lots of places where you can get reduced carb recipies, go
> google, or borrow a book from the library.
>
> I hope that this helps. Let us know how you are getting along.
>
> Kaye
>
> Don't use that magical, mysterious, joy fantastic fascinating word called
> love unless you love me to the nines
>
 
M

Mark & Ana Jones

Guest
diane wrote:
> www.atkins.com


Kaye & Diane,

Thanks for your welcome & advice so far.

From a bit of research it looks like I can deduct the fibre from the carbs
to give me a net carb figure? yes/no?

If this is correct then we should all be eating mushrooms.

100g of mushrooms = 0.4g carb minus 1.1g fibre which equates to -0.7 carbs.
This @ 13 calories per 100g means that I need to eat 15 kg of mushrooms per
day to reach 2000 calories - which equates to a negative value of carbs
still (-10,500g).

Have I got this low-carb thing right?

aren't numbers great when you play with them LOL !

Mark
 
S

Stefan Holm

Guest
"Mark & Ana Jones" <[email protected]> writes:

> From a bit of research it looks like I can deduct the fibre from the carbs
> to give me a net carb figure? yes/no?


Depends. In some countries (and for some products) it is customary to
already deduct the fibres from the carb content on the declarations
and such-

> If this is correct then we should all be eating mushrooms.
>
> 100g of mushrooms = 0.4g carb minus 1.1g fibre which equates to -0.7
> carbs.


Which doesn't make sense. So in this case the carb count is already
without the fibre. Which is a good thing, since I don't like
mushrooms, and so a negative carb-content would put me in a bit of a
dilemma.

--
Stefan Holm
289/240/170 since: 07/08/2004 monthly-goal: 6
url: http://lowcarb.algebra.dk
 
J

JC Der Koenig

Guest
Bread and potatoes are not low carb.

--
Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW


"Mark & Ana Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Good morning,
>
> I've jumped in and out of the Atkins before with some success but have
> lost
> my books. I want a Low-Carb not a No-carb diet so can someone please
> either
> answer these questions or point me to a FAQ or a suitable URL. Thanks.
>
> 1. What is considered a reasonable "Low-Carb" intro? How is it measured?
> 2. Alcohol, none or some allowed. Spirits better than Beer?
> 3. Any suggestions for breakfast apart from a fry up. I really feel I
> should
> be taking some fruit or cereal.
> 4. I was 21 stone last Sunday (134kg), and I'm 6'4" (195cm) & a BMI of 35!
> I
> know I can drop to 18 stone in a few months by cutting out the beer and
> walking 5 miles a week. However my brothers of similar build are 15/16
> stone. How much is a safe and realistic target to lose per week?
> 5. I can lose the pasta, pizzas, white bread, fries and mashed potatoes
> but
> I'd really like to keep some granary bread and jacket potatoes in my diet.
> Can I and if so how many carbs are in a decent size Jacket potato?
>
> I look forward to reading your replies
>
> Cheers
> --
> Mark Jones
>
>
 
M

marengo

Guest
"Mark & Ana Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
|| diane wrote:
||| www.atkins.com
||
|| Kaye & Diane,
||
|| Thanks for your welcome & advice so far.
||
|| From a bit of research it looks like I can deduct the fibre from the
|| carbs to give me a net carb figure? yes/no?
||
|| If this is correct then we should all be eating mushrooms.
||
|| 100g of mushrooms = 0.4g carb minus 1.1g fibre which equates to -0.7
|| carbs. This @ 13 calories per 100g means that I need to eat 15 kg of
|| mushrooms per day to reach 2000 calories - which equates to a
|| negative value of carbs still (-10,500g).
||
|| Have I got this low-carb thing right?
||
|| aren't numbers great when you play with them LOL !
||
|| Mark

Mislabeling; a negative carb count is impossible. Since fiber IS a
carbohydrate it's impossible to have more fiber than carbs.

--
Peter
270/219/180
website: http://users.thelink.net/marengo
 
M

marengo

Guest
"Mark & Ana Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
|| diane wrote:
||| www.atkins.com
||
|| Kaye & Diane,
||
|| Thanks for your welcome & advice so far.
||
|| From a bit of research it looks like I can deduct the fibre from the
|| carbs to give me a net carb figure? yes/no?
||
|| If this is correct then we should all be eating mushrooms.
||
|| 100g of mushrooms = 0.4g carb minus 1.1g fibre which equates to -0.7
|| carbs. This @ 13 calories per 100g means that I need to eat 15 kg of
|| mushrooms per day to reach 2000 calories - which equates to a
|| negative value of carbs still (-10,500g).
||
|| Have I got this low-carb thing right?
||
|| aren't numbers great when you play with them LOL !
||
|| Mark

Mislabeling; a negative carb count is impossible. Since fiber IS a
carbohydrate it's impossible to have more fiber than carbs.

--
Peter
270/219/180
website: http://users.thelink.net/marengo
 
D

diane

Guest
yes deduct the fiber from the carbs to get the net carbs.

All this research you will be doing will help you redesign your eating
habits. Might make you seem fanatical around your friends and
family....That's where we come in in the newsgroup- we've been there.

--
Diane



"marengo" <[email protected] cox.net> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> "Mark & Ana Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> || diane wrote:
> ||| www.atkins.com
> ||
> || Kaye & Diane,
> ||
> || Thanks for your welcome & advice so far.
> ||
> || From a bit of research it looks like I can deduct the fibre from the
> || carbs to give me a net carb figure? yes/no?
> ||
> || If this is correct then we should all be eating mushrooms.
> ||
> || 100g of mushrooms = 0.4g carb minus 1.1g fibre which equates to -0.7
> || carbs. This @ 13 calories per 100g means that I need to eat 15 kg of
> || mushrooms per day to reach 2000 calories - which equates to a
> || negative value of carbs still (-10,500g).
> ||
> || Have I got this low-carb thing right?
> ||
> || aren't numbers great when you play with them LOL !
> ||
> || Mark
>
> Mislabeling; a negative carb count is impossible. Since fiber IS a
> carbohydrate it's impossible to have more fiber than carbs.
>
> --
> Peter
> 270/219/180
> website: http://users.thelink.net/marengo
>
>
 
M

Mark & Ana Jones

Guest
diane wrote:
> yes deduct the fiber from the carbs to get the net carbs.
>
> All this research you will be doing will help you redesign your eating
> habits. Might make you seem fanatical around your friends and
> family....That's where we come in in the newsgroup- we've been there.



Diane,

Co-incidently, I've just pulled out a pocket size diet booklet that came
free with The Sunday Times (I'm in the UK) today.

The new "GL" diet is all about good, medium and bad carbs which means for
instance that baked beans are good despite their high carb content.

It claims that some carbs are closer chemically to glucose such as the
processed foods than others such as high bran bread or raw vegetables. This
is how they claim you can eat more than say 20g of carbs - providing that
it's the "safe or good" carbs. Apparently insulin is still the common factor
as with previous low-carb diets.

It goes on to recommend Tesco's - one of our largest high quality
supermarkets, who are branding hundreds of their goods with a high, medfium
or low "GL" label from this month onwards.

Any thoughts anyone?

Mark
 
S

Sammy

Guest
In article <[email protected]>,
"Mark & Ana Jones" <[email protected]> wrote:

>
> Co-incidently, I've just pulled out a pocket size diet booklet that came
> free with The Sunday Times (I'm in the UK) today.
>
> The new "GL" diet is all about good, medium and bad carbs which means for
> instance that baked beans are good despite their high carb content.
>
> It claims that some carbs are closer chemically to glucose such as the
> processed foods than others such as high bran bread or raw vegetables. This
> is how they claim you can eat more than say 20g of carbs - providing that
> it's the "safe or good" carbs. Apparently insulin is still the common factor
> as with previous low-carb diets.
>
>


I'm afraid that's wishful thinking - beans may have a low glycemic
index, but baked beans are basically marinated in sugar.
 
K

kaye

Guest
Mark

In the UK, the carb count already has the fiber subtracted. Made easy
enough already.

Kaye

--
Don't use that magical, mysterious, joy fantastic fascinating word called
love unless you love me to the nines."
"Mark & Ana Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> diane wrote:
>> www.atkins.com

>
> Kaye & Diane,
>
> Thanks for your welcome & advice so far.
>
> From a bit of research it looks like I can deduct the fibre from the carbs
> to give me a net carb figure? yes/no?
>
> If this is correct then we should all be eating mushrooms.
>
> 100g of mushrooms = 0.4g carb minus 1.1g fibre which equates to -0.7
> carbs.
> This @ 13 calories per 100g means that I need to eat 15 kg of mushrooms
> per
> day to reach 2000 calories - which equates to a negative value of carbs
> still (-10,500g).
>
> Have I got this low-carb thing right?
>
> aren't numbers great when you play with them LOL !
>
> Mark
>
>
 
R

Roger Zoul

Guest
Mark & Ana Jones wrote:
|| diane wrote:
||| yes deduct the fiber from the carbs to get the net carbs.
|||
||| All this research you will be doing will help you redesign your
||| eating habits. Might make you seem fanatical around your friends and
||| family....That's where we come in in the newsgroup- we've been
||| there.
||
||
|| Diane,
||
|| Co-incidently, I've just pulled out a pocket size diet booklet that
|| came free with The Sunday Times (I'm in the UK) today.
||
|| The new "GL" diet is all about good, medium and bad carbs which
|| means for instance that baked beans are good despite their high carb
|| content.
||
|| It claims that some carbs are closer chemically to glucose such as
|| the processed foods than others such as high bran bread or raw
|| vegetables. This is how they claim you can eat more than say 20g of
|| carbs - providing that it's the "safe or good" carbs. Apparently
|| insulin is still the common factor as with previous low-carb diets.
||
|| It goes on to recommend Tesco's - one of our largest high quality
|| supermarkets, who are branding hundreds of their goods with a high,
|| medfium or low "GL" label from this month onwards.
||
|| Any thoughts anyone?

Yeah -- I think it's nonsense, mostly. Eat carbs that the good veggies -
cauliflower, broccoli, spinach, lettuce, cabbage, cucumbers, olives, squash,
raddishes, etc. Skip the beans, unless they are green beans.
 
A

Anthony

Guest
"Mark & Ana Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Good morning,
>
> I've jumped in and out of the Atkins before with some success but have
> lost
> my books. I want a Low-Carb not a No-carb diet so can someone please
> either
> answer these questions or point me to a FAQ or a suitable URL. Thanks.
>


Hi Mark:

If, as seems to be the case, you're not wedded to the idea of buying
books or doing a lot of research, here's a simpler suggestion, one which
will work. Stop eating three things, namely starchy vegetables, fruit and
sugar. If you can, cut out alcohol; if you can't, stick to white liquor,
like vodka and gin. Take an hour of brisk exercise six days a week; what
seems brisk to you will change as your fitness level improves and you lose
fat. I suggest that you alternate cardio and weight bearing.
Just to elucidate a bit, starchy vegetables include all grains and seeds
like rice, wheat, corn, oats, barley etc, potatoes, both sweet and not, and
peas, beans (except green beans) chick peas and carrots, fruit means all,
repeat all fruit, and sugar includes beet and cane sugar, maple syrup, honey
and most artificial sweeteners. Eat regularly taking in a mix of protein,
fat and the permitted veg and keep your appetite satisfied without stuffing
yourself to bursting point.
Have your body fat measured by the skinfold test and repeat this every
three months or so. Same with your bloodwork. Weigh yourself every day and
if you are gaining either increase the exercise or cut back a bit on your
food intake.

Good luck.
 
R

Roger Zoul

Guest
Anthony wrote:
|| "Mark & Ana Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in
|| message news:[email protected]
||| Good morning,
|||
||| I've jumped in and out of the Atkins before with some success but
||| have lost
||| my books. I want a Low-Carb not a No-carb diet so can someone please
||| either
||| answer these questions or point me to a FAQ or a suitable URL.
||| Thanks.
|||
||
|| Hi Mark:
||
|| If, as seems to be the case, you're not wedded to the idea of
|| buying books or doing a lot of research, here's a simpler
|| suggestion, one which will work. Stop eating three things, namely
|| starchy vegetables, fruit and sugar. If you can, cut out alcohol;
|| if you can't, stick to white liquor, like vodka and gin. Take an
|| hour of brisk exercise six days a week; what seems brisk to you will
|| change as your fitness level improves and you lose fat. I suggest
|| that you alternate cardio and weight bearing.
|| Just to elucidate a bit, starchy vegetables include all grains and
|| seeds like rice, wheat, corn, oats, barley etc, potatoes, both sweet
|| and not, and peas, beans (except green beans) chick peas and
|| carrots, fruit means all, repeat all fruit, and sugar includes beet
|| and cane sugar, maple syrup, honey and most artificial sweeteners.
|| Eat regularly taking in a mix of protein, fat and the permitted veg
|| and keep your appetite satisfied without stuffing yourself to
|| bursting point. Have your body fat measured by the skinfold test
|| and repeat this every three months or so. Same with your bloodwork.
|| Weigh yourself every day and if you are gaining either increase the
|| exercise or cut back a bit on your food intake.
||
|| Good luck.

That's pretty much it, though the non-AS may not be necessary.
 
M

Mark & Ana Jones

Guest
Well thanks everyone. This seems like a very healthy ng (excuse the pun).
I've learnt a lot already.

Mark