Road Cycling · Public discussion

A realistic take on the 650B thing

Started by Ozark Bicycle · · Last activity · 13 posts · 544 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
17 August 2007
Last activity
18 August 2007
Original author
Ozark Bicycle
Posts
13
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
544
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–13 of 13
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. http://tinyurl.com/2wsobl

    timid?

    http://preview.tinyurl.com/2wsobl

  2. Ozark Bicycle said:

    http://tinyurl.com/2wsobl

    timid?

    http://preview.tinyurl.com/2wsobl

    maybe a virus causes insensitivity to fine wheel/frame tuning?

    lemming's trot?

  3. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Ozark Bicycle said:

    http://tinyurl.com/2wsobl

    timid?

    http://preview.tinyurl.com/2wsobl

    I can't believe I'm posting this, but cT = 0.93

  4. Ozark Bicycle said:

    http://tinyurl.com/2wsobl

    timid?

    http://preview.tinyurl.com/2wsobl

    No [censored]. Take a potential 650B owner and shoe their bike with
    something like a 35mm wide Pasela with 70psi rear and 60 front and
    they'll get all gushy without the stupidity. Or with stupidity, I
    don't wanna be a smartist.

    That said, it's still an interesting and useful size for retrofits.

  5. Pikachu said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Ozark Bicycle said:

    http://tinyurl.com/2wsobl

    Quoted message said:

    timid?

    Quoted message said:

    http://preview.tinyurl.com/2wsobl

    I can't believe I'm posting this, but cT = 0.93

    OK

  6. landotter said:

    On Aug 16, 8:37 pm, Ozark Bicycle

    Quoted message said:

    http://tinyurl.com/2wsobl

    Quoted message said:

    timid?

    Quoted message said:

    http://preview.tinyurl.com/2wsobl

    No [censored]. Take a potential 650B owner and shoe their bike with
    something like a 35mm wide Pasela with 70psi rear and 60 front and
    they'll get all gushy without the stupidity. Or with stupidity, I
    don't wanna be a smartist.

    That said, it's still an interesting and useful size for retrofits.

    That's just it - it's about the clearance - CAN they run a 622-35?

    I thought about a Bleriot, but I went with a Long Haul Trucker
    instead. I wish they had a Taiwanese made/QBP distributed $750 700C
    lugged touring frame, but I have a feeling the Bleriot is only priced
    that low to get people using the wheel size.

    I'm happy with my LHT, with 622-35 Paselas.

  7. Hank Wirtz said:
    landotter said:

    On Aug 16, 8:37 pm, Ozark Bicycle

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    http://tinyurl.com/2wsobl

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    timid?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    http://preview.tinyurl.com/2wsobl

    Quoted message said:

    No [censored]. Take a potential 650B owner and shoe their bike with
    something like a 35mm wide Pasela with 70psi rear and 60 front and
    they'll get all gushy without the stupidity. Or with stupidity, I
    don't wanna be a smartist.

    Quoted message said:

    That said, it's still an interesting and useful size for retrofits.

    That's just it - it's about the clearance - CAN they run a 622-35?

    I thought about a Bleriot, but I went with a Long Haul Trucker
    instead. I wish they had a Taiwanese made/QBP distributed $750 700C
    lugged touring frame, but I have a feeling the Bleriot is only priced
    that low to get people using the wheel size.

    Low? I have a feeling that it's likely marked up plenty, as it's
    Taiwanese made. That said, it's a very pretty frame and well thought
    out. If I was in the market for an all rounder in that price bracket,
    I'd consider it despite the wheel size.

    Quoted message said:


    I'm happy with my LHT, with 622-35 Paselas.

    For a grand, that bike would be my pick as well. It's perfectly
    specced, except for the WTB tires, which are a bizarre and cheesy
    choice.

  8. landotter said:
    Hank Wirtz said:

    On Aug 16, 7:24 pm, landotter <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    On Aug 16, 8:37 pm, Ozark Bicycle

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    <[email hidden]> wrote:
    >http://tinyurl.com/2wsobl

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > timid?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >http://preview.tinyurl.com/2wsobl

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    No [censored]. Take a potential 650B owner and shoe their bike with
    something like a 35mm wide Pasela with 70psi rear and 60 front and
    they'll get all gushy without the stupidity. Or with stupidity, I
    don't wanna be a smartist.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    That said, it's still an interesting and useful size for retrofits.

    Quoted message said:

    That's just it - it's about the clearance - CAN they run a 622-35?

    Quoted message said:

    I thought about a Bleriot, but I went with a Long Haul Trucker
    instead. I wish they had a Taiwanese made/QBP distributed $750 700C
    lugged touring frame, but I have a feeling the Bleriot is only priced
    that low to get people using the wheel size.

    Low? I have a feeling that it's likely marked up plenty, as it's
    Taiwanese made. That said, it's a very pretty frame and well thought
    out. If I was in the market for an all rounder in that price bracket,
    I'd consider it despite the wheel size.

    Quoted message said:

    I'm happy with my LHT, with 622-35 Paselas.

    For a grand, that bike would be my pick as well. It's perfectly
    specced, except for the WTB tires, which are a bizarre and cheesy
    choice.

    Not wild about the stock saddle - when they released the complete LHT,
    it immediately skewed the saddle stats. I'd bet that prior to that,
    85% of them had Brooks B-17s (like mine does).

  9. Hank Wirtz said:
    landotter said:

    On Aug 17, 10:47 am, Hank Wirtz <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    On Aug 16, 7:24 pm, landotter <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > On Aug 16, 8:37 pm, Ozark Bicycle

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > <[email hidden]> wrote:
    > >http://tinyurl.com/2wsobl

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > > timid?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > >http://preview.tinyurl.com/2wsobl

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > No [censored]. Take a potential 650B owner and shoe their bike with
    > something like a 35mm wide Pasela with 70psi rear and 60 front and
    > they'll get all gushy without the stupidity. Or with stupidity, I
    > don't wanna be a smartist.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > That said, it's still an interesting and useful size for retrofits.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    That's just it - it's about the clearance - CAN they run a 622-35?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I thought about a Bleriot, but I went with a Long Haul Trucker
    instead. I wish they had a Taiwanese made/QBP distributed $750 700C
    lugged touring frame, but I have a feeling the Bleriot is only priced
    that low to get people using the wheel size.

    Quoted message said:

    Low? I have a feeling that it's likely marked up plenty, as it's
    Taiwanese made. That said, it's a very pretty frame and well thought
    out. If I was in the market for an all rounder in that price bracket,
    I'd consider it despite the wheel size.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I'm happy with my LHT, with 622-35 Paselas.

    Quoted message said:

    For a grand, that bike would be my pick as well. It's perfectly
    specced, except for the WTB tires, which are a bizarre and cheesy
    choice.

    Not wild about the stock saddle - when they released the complete LHT,
    it immediately skewed the saddle stats. I'd bet that prior to that,
    85% of them had Brooks B-17s (like mine does).

    I find that basic shape by Velo to be quite nice, more comfy than a
    B-17, but also a little too squishy for trips over 30 miles. The
    seating acreage is about the same as a B-17 if you disregard the part
    with the rivets. At any rate, it's sort of a place holder, just like
    the cheap demo pedals a lot of bikes come with. I'd probably swap it
    for a Rolls--so I'm glad they didn't spec an expensive Brooks that
    would up the price and not make everyone happy.

  10. landotter said:
    Hank Wirtz said:

    On Aug 16, 7:24 pm, landotter <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    On Aug 16, 8:37 pm, Ozark Bicycle

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    <[email hidden]> wrote:
    >http://tinyurl.com/2wsobl

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > timid?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >http://preview.tinyurl.com/2wsobl

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    No [censored]. Take a potential 650B owner and shoe their bike with
    something like a 35mm wide Pasela with 70psi rear and 60 front and
    they'll get all gushy without the stupidity. Or with stupidity, I
    don't wanna be a smartist.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    That said, it's still an interesting and useful size for retrofits.

    Quoted message said:

    That's just it - it's about the clearance - CAN they run a 622-35?

    Quoted message said:

    I thought about a Bleriot, but I went with a Long Haul Trucker
    instead. I wish they had a Taiwanese made/QBP distributed $750 700C
    lugged touring frame, but I have a feeling the Bleriot is only priced
    that low to get people using the wheel size.

    Low? I have a feeling that it's likely marked up plenty, as it's
    Taiwanese made.

    At best, it's a fair price, but not a "low price". Consider that Soma
    offers the lugged Speedster frame/fork made with Tange Prestige
    tubing, attractive, polished stainless steel head lugs and nice paint
    for $795 (Yes, I know it's not a touring frame; I'm just comparing
    relative value.):

    http://tinyurl.com/ynnhnv

    IMO, the Bleriot only looks low-priced when compared to the other,
    Japanese made Riv offerings.

  11. Ozark Bicycle said:
    landotter said:

    On Aug 17, 10:47 am, Hank Wirtz <[email hidden]> wrote:



    [trim]

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I thought about a Bleriot, but I went with a Long Haul Trucker
    instead. I wish they had a Taiwanese made/QBP distributed $750 700C
    lugged touring frame, but I have a feeling the Bleriot is only priced
    that low to get people using the wheel size.

    Quoted message said:

    Low? I have a feeling that it's likely marked up plenty, as it's
    Taiwanese made.

    At best, it's a fair price, but not a "low price". Consider that Soma
    offers the lugged Speedster frame/fork made with Tange Prestige
    tubing, attractive, polished stainless steel head lugs and nice paint
    for $795 (Yes, I know it's not a touring frame; I'm just comparing
    relative value.):

    http://tinyurl.com/ynnhnv

    Now THAT is handsome! Not touring, but you could certainly do some
    light and short trips on a bike like that.

  12. what can be imagines is the 650's innovator
    shoeing their bike with something like a 35mm wide Pasela with 70psi
    rear and 60 front and saying ahha! eureka!

    be serious. no one can haul anything with pasela.

  13. "Ozark Bicycle" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    http://tinyurl.com/2wsobl

    timid?

    http://preview.tinyurl.com/2wsobl

    In the mid 60s I brought back a Bridgestone 10 speed from Japan. It had
    drop bars, light weight tubing and European components - Huret RD, Suicide
    FD, Weinmann brakes and so on. It weighed ~27-28 Lbs. with steel rims,
    bars, cranks and pedals plus the Shimano 3 speed hub I had installed (so
    it was a 30 speed).

    About 1967 I needed a new rear tire and couldn't find anything to fit. I
    don't know if it used 650 or 700 sized tires but I ended up having a LBS
    put on a new rim - probably a 26" so that I could find tires to fit. Cost
    = new rim, spokes, tire, tube & labor, almost more than I paid for the
    bike in Japan.

    So when somebody plans on riding a long distance on a bike with odd ball
    sized tires, take spares and be prepared to have tires shipped to you in
    Podunk.

    We used to ship tires to people stuck in the middle of a tour via
    Greyhound or Continental bus. They usually got it within 24 hours for not
    much money plus they got to experience the joys of hanging out in a small
    town bus station.
    --
    Chas. [email hidden] (Drop spamski to E-mail me)

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.