Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

a roadie I am NOT

Started by Clydesdalemtb · · Last activity · 35 posts · 1,523 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
2 June 2003
Last activity
5 June 2003
Original author
Clydesdalemtb
Posts
35
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,523
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 35
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Took a ride into Concord today on the Beer'Cross.... Got passed by 3 "real" roadies along my way.

    Just to give the rea; rideis somehting to snicker at... According to the GPS:
    20.55 Miles total mileage 1hr, 55 minutes moving time 21 minutes stopped time Max: 45.6Mi/Hr. Moving
    average: 10.7 Mi./Hr.

    I'm not worthy of my own bike!!!!!!!

  2. "ClydesdaleMTB" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Just to give the rea; rideis somehting to snicker at...

    ...and you're drowning your sorrow in beer? ;^)

  3. Quoted message said:

    Took a ride into Concord today on the Beer'Cross.... Got passed by 3 "real" roadies along my way.

    Just to give the rea; rideis somehting to snicker at... According to the GPS:
    20.55 Miles total mileage 1hr, 55 minutes moving time 21 minutes stopped time Max: 45.6Mi/Hr.
    Moving average: 10.7 Mi./Hr.

    I'm not worthy of my own bike!!!!!!!

    I like that 45.6 max, though. That must have gotten the blood pumping - and made you happy
    for disks.

    -Andrew

  4. ClydesdaleMTB said:

    Took a ride into Concord today on the Beer'Cross.... Got passed by 3 "real" roadies along my way.

    Just to give the rea; rideis somehting to snicker at... According to the GPS:
    20.55 Miles total mileage 1hr, 55 minutes moving time 21 minutes stopped time Max: 45.6Mi/Hr.
    Moving average: 10.7 Mi./Hr.

    I'm not worthy of my own bike!!!!!!!

    Nice Max. I can say I've never been there

    Peace, Bill

    The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind should give
    an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
    :-]

  5. Andrew Thorne said:
    I said:

    I'm not worthy of my own bike!!!!!!!


    I like that 45.6 max, though.

    That was downhill, with a brisk tail-wind, full tuck (chin over the front of my bars) drafting
    behind a Ford Escort... You should have seen the look in the drivers face when they saw my in thier
    rear-view mirror ;-)

    Quoted message said:

    That must have gotten the blood pumping - and made you happy for disks.

    Disc brakes: Mmmm, Mmmm GOOOOOOODDDDD!

  6. Bill Wheeler <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    ClydesdaleMTB said:

    Took a ride into Concord today on the Beer'Cross.... Got passed by 3 "real" roadies along my way.

    Just to give the rea; rideis somehting to snicker at... According to the GPS:
    20.55 Miles total mileage 1hr, 55 minutes moving time 21 minutes stopped time Max: 45.6Mi/Hr.
    Moving average: 10.7 Mi./Hr.

    I'm not worthy of my own bike!!!!!!!

    Nice Max. I can say I've never been there

    Me either - 38.1 mph on the heavy BASE beast bike, past a queue of stationary traffic, and that got
    me some looks.

    Shaun aRe

  7. ClydesdaleMTB <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Andrew Thorne said:
    I said:

    I'm not worthy of my own bike!!!!!!!


    I like that 45.6 max, though.

    That was downhill, with a brisk tail-wind, full tuck (chin over the front of my bars) drafting
    behind a Ford Escort... You should have seen the look in the drivers face when they saw my in
    thier rear-view mirror


    ;-)

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    That must have gotten the blood pumping - and made you happy for disks.

    Disc brakes: Mmmm, Mmmm GOOOOOOODDDDD!

    Fskn speed freak.

    Shaun aRe

  8. I road-ride before and after the MTB season opens up here.

    My "short" ride is 48km (30 miles), and takes me about 2 hours total time - non-stop. My road
    record is 64km (40miles) in 2 1/2 hours. I know, not all that fast. But heck, I'm just a 44 yo
    fart, so I'm happy!

    BUT I don't think I've EVER gotten to 45mph on my road bike!!!! YIKES! I think the fastest I've ever
    gone is about 56kph, which is just under 30mph (I think).

    But, now that MTB season is in full swing...

    My "short" ride is about 37km, which takes me about 2-1/4 to 2 1/2 hours (depending on the
    conditions) - I usually do this one non-stop.

    My "regular" ride is 48km which takes me up to 3 -1/2 hours (again, depending on conditions) - I
    take a break at the 30km mark (whereever I am).

    My ride is probably about 50% uphill, with a few "steepies". "Technical" (singletrack, rocks, roots,
    mud) ranges between 60-85%, depending which route I take.

    "ClydesdaleMTB" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Took a ride into Concord today on the Beer'Cross.... Got passed by 3 "real" roadies along my way.

    Just to give the rea; rideis somehting to snicker at... According to the GPS:
    20.55 Miles total mileage 1hr, 55 minutes moving time 21 minutes stopped time Max: 45.6Mi/Hr.
    Moving average: 10.7 Mi./Hr.

    I'm not worthy of my own bike!!!!!!!

  9. "Shaun Rimmer" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Fskn speed freak.

    Shaun aRe

    Why else does one ride a road bike?

    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if replying)

  10. ClydesdaleMTB <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Took a ride into Concord today on the Beer'Cross.... Got passed by 3 "real" roadies along my way.

    Just to give the rea; rideis somehting to snicker at... According to the GPS:
    20.55 Miles total mileage 1hr, 55 minutes moving time 21 minutes stopped time Max: 45.6Mi/Hr.
    Moving average: 10.7 Mi./Hr.

    I'm not worthy of my own bike!!!!!!!

    What were you, climbing Mt. Washington or something? /s

  11. ClydesdaleMTB said:

    Took a ride into Concord today on the Beer'Cross.... Got passed by 3 "real" roadies along my way.

    Just to give the rea; rideis somehting to snicker at... According to the GPS:
    20.55 Miles total mileage 1hr, 55 minutes moving time 21 minutes stopped time Max: 45.6Mi/Hr.
    Moving average: 10.7 Mi./Hr.

    I'm not worthy of my own bike!!!!!!!

    I hate it when GPS glitches like that.. I had one reading on mine that said I'd done a max speed of
    650 mph.. <Chortle>

    Gyp

  12. supabonbon <[email hidden]> spoke thusly...

    Quoted message said:

    ClydesdaleMTB <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Took a ride into Concord today on the Beer'Cross.... Got passed by 3 "real" roadies along
    my way.

    Just to give the rea; rideis somehting to snicker at... According to the GPS:
    20.55 Miles total mileage 1hr, 55 minutes moving time 21 minutes stopped time Max: 45.6Mi/Hr.
    Moving average: 10.7 Mi./Hr.

    I'm not worthy of my own bike!!!!!!!

    What were you, climbing Mt. Washington or something? /s

    now that's a bike ride i would like to try.
    --
    ~Travis

    travis57 at megalink dot net megalink.net~farmers

  13. Gyp <[email hidden]> spoke thusly...

    Quoted message said:
    ClydesdaleMTB said:

    Took a ride into Concord today on the Beer'Cross.... Got passed by 3 "real" roadies along
    my way.

    Just to give the rea; rideis somehting to snicker at... According to the GPS:
    20.55 Miles total mileage 1hr, 55 minutes moving time 21 minutes stopped time Max: 45.6Mi/Hr.
    Moving average: 10.7 Mi./Hr.

    I'm not worthy of my own bike!!!!!!!

    I hate it when GPS glitches like that.. I had one reading on mine that said I'd done a max speed
    of 650 mph.. <Chortle>

    Gyp

    Damn, now that's fast ;-)
    --
    ~Travis

    travis57 at megalink dot net megalink.net~farmers

  14. "Captain Adventure" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    BUT I don't think I've EVER gotten to 45mph on my road bike!!!! YIKES! I think the fastest I've
    ever gone is about 56kph, which is just under 30mph (I think).

    No bragging, no BS, I hit 54 (confirmed by other techno-weenies with computers) coming off of
    Shalona, the first big climb up to Purgatory. We had a tail wind, it was one of Durango's famous
    Tuesday nite rides, we were the "slow" B group. All I could think of was "If I go down, I'm going to
    slide a long way, then hit something very hard and very fast, or get run over by something coming up
    the hill." We got to the flats, I was still behind the main pack, didn't catch the draft, and they
    dropped me like I was standing still.
    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if replying)

  15. supabonbon said:

    What were you, climbing Mt. Washington or something?

    Next year, if I have the $$$, I';d like to do it "officially" not to say I have done, or would do it
    any _other_ way ;-)

    I hope to ride the Kancamagus Highway (google it) in August, before I leave for TN.

  16. Craig Brossman said:

    "Shaun Rimmer" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:

    Fskn speed freak.

    Quoted message said:

    Why else does one ride a road bike?

    The trails are too wet to ride and my wrists shoulderships and knees are sore from falling down from
    trying to learn to ride my unicycle.

  17. "Craig Brossman" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    While my regular ride is out of commission due to a dead rear hub, I put


    my

    Quoted message said:

    '93 Trek back into action. It has been a commuter for 5 years now, serving that job rather well.
    Old DX 7 speed, canti. brakes, very old RS Judy up front. The shock is very outdated and I have
    the preload set pretty high.


    I

    Quoted message said:

    really don't want much action up there. I rode one of my local trails yesterday on my 970 steel
    hard tail. Here are a few observations. DX was great stuff back in '93 and still is today. The
    shifting is superb, the cranks are nice, brakes stop and modulate well. (One note on canti brakes,
    they may work just as well as V's, but they are really a pain in


    the

    Quoted message said:

    butt to get the pads aligned with the rims.) I like the feel of the bike on the climbs, but I had
    to be a little more active over the rougher stuff than I am normally on the full suspension ride.
    Maybe I've gotten lazy. Coming down was a different story, I felt like I had quicker handling, but
    the vibration at speed got annoying. The front shock was probably the primary cause, but no rear
    suspension made it harder to hold my line when the trail got rocky. All in all, I did like the
    change of pace, and see myself riding this bike more often. I am still considering a conversion to
    SS, but right now it is satisfactory as a geared bike. I will replace the front shock with the
    original steel fork and I may throw some old V's on as well, just to make setup easier.

    If you have "upgraded" to a new ride in the last few years, consider


    dusting

    Quoted message said:

    off the bike it replaced and giving it a spin. You just might be suprised,


    I

    Quoted message said:

    know I was.

    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if replying)

    Good reminder. Good stuff doesn't really become junk just because something better comes along.
    Heck, even LP's still sound pretty good.

  18. Sorni <[email hidden]> spoke thusly...

    Quoted message said:

    "bomba" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Shaun Rimmer said:

    Me either - 38.1 mph on the heavy BASE beast bike, past a queue of stationary traffic, and
    that got me some looks.

    I hit 70 km/h last year off road - that's about 43/44 mph.

    Travis?!?

    no, not me, my front derailleur and shifter is having issues where it makes lots of noise if i shift
    the back past the 5th cog (if i adjust the cable tension it messes up shifting, and i tried the high
    limit screw). the fastest i can do is about 28 before i spin out.
    --
    ~Travis

    travis57 at megalink dot net megalink.net~farmers

  19. "Craig Brossman" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Captain Adventure" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    BUT I don't think I've EVER gotten to 45mph on my road bike!!!! YIKES! I think the fastest I've
    ever gone is about 56kph, which is just under


    30mph

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    (I think).

    No bragging, no BS, I hit 54 (confirmed by other techno-weenies with computers) coming off of
    Shalona, the first big climb up to Purgatory. We had a tail wind, it was one of Durango's famous
    Tuesday nite rides, we


    were

    Quoted message said:

    the "slow" B group.

    Yeah, the ride I took last week with one other guy, we hit 43 or so, and we didn't have any big
    hills. Combo of a little downhill and a lotta pedalling 😉 Definitely was kinda sketchy - 3rd time
    on the road bike!

    He said when the group ride hits the larger hills, their top speed is usuallly about 52 or so.
    Scary [censored].

    Quoted message said:

    All I could think of was "If I go down, I'm going to slide a long way,


    then

    Quoted message said:

    hit something very hard and very fast, or get run over by something coming up the hill." We got to
    the flats, I was still behind the main pack, didn't catch the draft, and they dropped me like I
    was standing still.
    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if replying)

    Jon Bond

  20. Craig Brossman said:


    No bragging, no BS, I hit 54 (confirmed by other techno-weenies with computers) coming off of
    Shalona, the first big climb up to Purgatory.

    I've hit 57 on a mountain bike, on the Jiminy Peak access road in MA. My road bike record is 56.

    Keep in mind that my weight fluctuates between 220 and 240. Clydesdales go DOWN hills like
    bowling balls!

    Barry

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.