A Salute to Supportive Spouses

frenchyge

Apr 3, 2005
Hey y'all, it seems like the sentiment most often expressed here concerning our spouses or significant others is that they either won't let us to buy the bike toys we want, or that they nag us about doing too much riding and not enough of something else.

Aren't there any other cyclists out there who have incredibly supportive SOs like mine? My wife doesn't ride, but she genuinely enjoys seeing the enjoyment I get out of it, takes on additional household duties to allow me time to train, sits out in the heat/wind/cold for hours on weekends watching my incredibly exciting :)rolleyes: ) bike races, understands that occasional 'date nights' are being sacrificed to fund the purchase of toys for my hobby, etc. I can't imagine that she gets anything out of it besides a happy, healthy and fit husband, and yet she is so wonderfully understanding and supportive of it all. Am I the only one who has such a supportive SO, or are the rest of them being sold short on this forum and others?

Here's to all the supportive SOs out there who's contributions deserve to be recognized here and elsewhere. Salute! :)

My wife has two bikes,various bibs and jerseys and a few scars and dog bite marks.
She is an old pro. "Old" being used in the most complimentary way.

My SO has always been supportive of my obsession with cycling.

She happy for me to go on cycling holidays with mates, spend all evening/weekend in the shed, has been on cycling holidays with me, bought a visit to the track for my birthday, and has recently invested in a new bike herself (Spesh Stumpy!) as she's really getting into the offroading. Given that she wasn't a cyclist when we met I think this is pretty fair going.

Nuff respec' to the better halves!

Wheelist

Two days and only two replies. Not much support from spouses out there ,I guess

My wife is very supportive - She encourages me to ride amongst fast traffic, to improve my speed, and has increased my life insurance policy level as a sign of the great value she puts in me...at least that's what she told me.

frenchyge said:
Hey y'all, it seems like the sentiment most often expressed here concerning our spouses or significant others is that they either won't let us to buy the bike toys we want, or that they nag us about doing too much riding and not enough of something else.

Aren't there any other cyclists out there who have incredibly supportive SOs like mine? My wife doesn't ride, but she genuinely enjoys seeing the enjoyment I get out of it, takes on additional household duties to allow me time to train, sits out in the heat/wind/cold for hours on weekends watching my incredibly exciting :)rolleyes: ) bike races, understands that occasional 'date nights' are being sacrificed to fund the purchase of toys for my hobby, etc. I can't imagine that she gets anything out of it besides a happy, healthy and fit husband, and yet she is so wonderfully understanding and supportive of it all. Am I the only one who has such a supportive SO, or are the rest of them being sold short on this forum and others?

Here's to all the supportive SOs out there who's contributions deserve to be recognized here and elsewhere. Salute! :)
My wife is very supportive
I go on at least one week long trip a year.This Oct. it was Cycle North Carolina a great ride btw.She also saged me when I rode the Blue Ridge Parkway it was just me and the bike NO panniers!She's a good sport...One ride she's not cool with is the PAC tour in 07 there doing a 26 day transcontinental
northern route across the US.Her only comment was NO WAY.I guess she doesn't want to be alone for 1/3 rd of the summer,I am trying to figure out a bribe so I'm open to suggestions.:)

EoinC said:
My wife is very supportive - She encourages me to ride amongst fast traffic, to improve my speed, and has increased my life insurance policy level as a sign of the great value she puts in me...at least that's what she told me.
:D . My wife is supportive to a point. She wishes my obsessions weren't so time consuming...

Sevenrider said:
My wife is very supportive
I go on at least one week long trip a year.This Oct. it was Cycle North Carolina a great ride btw.She also saged me when I rode the Blue Ridge Parkway it was just me and the bike NO panniers!She's a good sport...One ride she's not cool with is the PAC tour in 07 there doing a 26 day transcontinental
northern route across the US.Her only comment was NO WAY.I guess she doesn't want to be alone for 1/3 rd of the summer,I am trying to figure out a bribe so I'm open to suggestions.:)

Raise money for a charity during the ride. Doing something to help others how could she say "No". That is what I am planning. Or you can tell her it is your mid-life crisis and you will forgo "fast cars, loose women, body peircing and tatoos. If she lets you ride."

my wife encourages me to do anything that keeps me out of the house, out of her hair and doesn't let me spend money.

the more i ride the more she likes it.

Nice post frenchgye but you are delusional if you think most blokes will say anything nice about the missus.

Makes you wonder if these lasses are so bad, then why do the blokes stick around?

LMT said:
Nice post frenchgye but you are delusional if you think most blokes will say anything nice about the missus.
I'm not delusional. I had hoped that some who remain silent might just be waiting for the right 'opportunity,' however. :)

LMT said:
Makes you wonder if these lasses are so bad, then why do the blokes stick around?
No, there's no mystery there. ;)