General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

a starter with mozzarella?

Started by yAro · · Last activity · 30 posts · 946 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
4 July 2005
Last activity
6 July 2005
Original author
yAro
Posts
30
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
946
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–30 of 30
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. -L. said:

    I-zheet M'drurz wrote😄o

    Quoted message said:

    orientals even -use- cheese of any type?

    "orientals"?!? Sheesh!

    Yeah, it's Asians now. 🙂

    Carol

    --
    Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon

  2. I-zheet M'drurz Jul 5, 6:39 pm show options

    Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
    From: "I-zheet M'drurz" <[email hidden]> - Find messages
    by this author
    Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 22:39:38 +0000 (UTC)
    Local: Tues,Jul 5 2005 6:39 pm
    Subject: Re: a starter with mozzarella?
    Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show
    original | Report Abuse

    Bob (this one) spaketh thusly:

    I-zheet M'drurz said:
    Quoted message said:

    Pandora spaketh thusly:

    Quoted message said:

    I think the orientals doesen't eat mozzarella because they use
    other type of cheese (tofu or seitan)

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Tofu being considered a 'cheese'. Something is just *so*
    wrong there! :-) "


    ---------------------------------------------
    Tofu is not a cheese. It is a bean product.
    Mozzarella, of course, is a milk product.
    Regards,
    Nancree

  3. "I would kill for some more of the cheese gyozas I ate in Japan.
    --

    -Jeff B. (who doesn't remember what type of cheese was used)
    zoomie at fastmail fm "
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Gyozas are filled with meat and vegetables--not cheese. Cheese is very
    rare, really non-existent, in
    asian cooking.
    Nancree

  4. Nancree said:

    Gyozas are filled with meat and vegetables--not cheese. Cheese is very
    rare, really non-existent, in asian cooking.

    Well, what would YOU call a gyoza wrapper filled with cheese and cooked like
    a gyoza? Maybe cheese isn't TRADITIONAL, but it certainly exists in
    contemporary Asian cooking. The first time I went to Korea, ramen with
    cheese was all the rage where I was working.

    Bob

  5. nancree said:

    Tofu is not a cheese. It is a bean product.
    Mozzarella, of course, is a milk product.
    Regards,
    Nancree

    I love the Roman "Mozzarella in carrozza":
    http://www.italianmade.com/recipes/recipe362.cfm

    Nathalie in Switzerland

  6. yAro said:

    Any nice recipes for a starter with mozzarella?
    I know some classics but I'd love to try something
    unusual maybe oriental.
    yAro

    Asians aren't noted for a fondness for cheese, in general.

    How about French-fried mozzarella sticks? That "Everyday Italian" chef
    on FoodTV did those last week.

    There is an Italian recipe called variations of "suppli di riso" which
    are cooked rice, formed into small balls around a cube of mozzarella,
    rolled in fine bread crumbs and deep fried. They are wonderful.

    N.

  7. <[email hidden]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    yAro said:

    Any nice recipes for a starter with mozzarella?
    I know some classics but I'd love to try something
    unusual maybe oriental.
    yAro

    Asians aren't noted for a fondness for cheese, in general.

    How about French-fried mozzarella sticks? That "Everyday Italian" chef
    on FoodTV did those last week.

    There is an Italian recipe called variations of "suppli di riso" which
    are cooked rice, formed into small balls around a cube of mozzarella,
    rolled in fine bread crumbs and deep fried. They are wonderful.

    Yes they are very very good. i often make supplì.
    It is a typical roman dish. They use to eat supplì before eat pizza.
    Another thing: the supplì with mozzarella inside are called "Supplì al
    telefono" supplì on the telephone because when you eat the fili of melted
    cheese become very long. Supplì al telefono are different from the "arancini
    di riso" (little oranges of riso) that make in Sicily. They full them with
    beans and meat and the rice is without tomato sauce (I don't like).
    Ciao
    Pandora

  8. "yAro" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Any nice recipes for a starter with mozzarella?
    I know some classics but I'd love to try something
    unusual maybe oriental.
    yAro


    I can't quite get my mind to come up with an Asian mozzarella dish but I
    came up with the following yummy Italian appetizer over the Fourth of July
    weekend. This is a variation on a recipe in Patricia Well's Trattoria
    cookbook called Individual Eggplant Parmesan. I devised this to use up
    some of my slow cooked tomatoes. These are fresh tomatoes, peeled,
    seeded and quartered, drizzled with olive oil, fresh thyme leaves, salt &
    pepper and a slice of fresh garlic baked in a low (about 225F) oven for 3 or
    so hours. I turn them once during the backing process. They still have
    some moisture but are fairly wrinkled. Once cooled I coursley chop them and
    store in EV olive oil and keep in the fridge tightly covered. They make a
    great addition to anything calling for fresh tomatoes except they are more
    intensely tomatoey and flavored by the herb and garlic. They are great on
    pizza and make tomato [censored] that don't get soggy as quickly.

    I large, firm, unpeeled egg plant sliced 1/2 inch thick
    EV olive oil , to taste (about three tbl.)
    chopped fresh herbs of your choosing (basil, thyme, Italian parsly etc.)
    1/2 cup chopped slow oven cooked tomatoes (drained of oil)
    4 oz fresh bufalo mozzarella, thinly sliced
    1/4 cup freshly grated reggiano parmesan cheese

    Preheat the broiler. Position oven rack about 5 inches from the heat
    element. Cover a broiler pan with foil (eases cleanup). Place eggplant
    slices on pan, brush with olive oil and season with sea salt to taste.
    Broil until evenly browned, about 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and turn.
    Brush the side now facing up with olive oil and sprinkle with chopped fresh
    herbs and sea salt.. Broil this side for about three minutes or until
    evenly browned. Remove pan from the oven and top each eggplant round with
    tomato, a thin slice of mozzarella and a sprinkling of parmesan and a bit of
    dried oregano (optional). Return to oven and broil until the cheese is
    bubbly. Serve immediately.

    These were very tastey!

    Kate

  9. Pandora said:

    <[email hidden]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    yAro said:

    Any nice recipes for a starter with mozzarella?
    I know some classics but I'd love to try something
    unusual maybe oriental.
    yAro

    Asians aren't noted for a fondness for cheese, in general.

    How about French-fried mozzarella sticks? That "Everyday Italian" chef
    on FoodTV did those last week.

    There is an Italian recipe called variations of "suppli di riso" which
    are cooked rice, formed into small balls around a cube of mozzarella,
    rolled in fine bread crumbs and deep fried. They are wonderful.

    Yes they are very very good. i often make supplì.
    It is a typical roman dish. They use to eat supplì before eat pizza.
    Another thing: the supplì with mozzarella inside are called "Supplì al
    telefono" supplì on the telephone because when you eat the fili of melted
    cheese become very long. Supplì al telefono are different from the "arancini
    di riso" (little oranges of riso) that make in Sicily. They full them with
    beans and meat and the rice is without tomato sauce (I don't like).
    Ciao
    Pandora

    Thank you for the little explanation, Pandora (your English is very
    good!) - we had suppli when we traveled in Italy back in the early
    1970's, and I've always remembered those little rice balls. I found a
    recipe once in a Tupperware "Around the World" recipe book, but it's
    the only one I've ever used. The ones we had in Rome didn't have
    tomato sauce.

    N.

  10. <[email hidden]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email hidden]...

    Pandora said:

    <[email hidden]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    yAro said:

    Any nice recipes for a starter with mozzarella?
    I know some classics but I'd love to try something
    unusual maybe oriental.
    yAro

    Asians aren't noted for a fondness for cheese, in general.

    How about French-fried mozzarella sticks? That "Everyday Italian" chef
    on FoodTV did those last week.

    There is an Italian recipe called variations of "suppli di riso" which
    are cooked rice, formed into small balls around a cube of mozzarella,
    rolled in fine bread crumbs and deep fried. They are wonderful.

    Yes they are very very good. i often make supplì.
    It is a typical roman dish. They use to eat supplì before eat pizza.
    Another thing: the supplì with mozzarella inside are called "Supplì al
    telefono" supplì on the telephone because when you eat the fili of melted
    cheese become very long. Supplì al telefono are different from the
    "arancini
    di riso" (little oranges of riso) that make in Sicily. They full them with
    beans and meat and the rice is without tomato sauce (I don't like).
    Ciao
    Pandora

    Thank you for the little explanation, Pandora (your English is very
    good!) - we had suppli when we traveled in Italy back in the early
    1970's, and I've always remembered those little rice balls. I found a
    recipe once in a Tupperware "Around the World" recipe book, but it's
    the only one I've ever used. The ones we had in Rome didn't have
    tomato sauce.

    Well! I must say that in many italian rotisserie sell both.
    You can distinguish them only for there shape and dimension: "Supplì" has an
    extended shape while "Arancino" is completely round and it's diameter is
    slightly
    inferior to a tennis - ball one.
    In two or three days I will make and I will send you a Photo.
    Ps. to make supplì you can't boil the rice and the rice must be white rice.
    Then you make a Risotto adding water and a cube few at a time.
    I will explain better next time.
    This evening I eat a lemon chicken breast. Then I send you the photo.
    Cheers and many thanks
    Pandora.

    N.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.