a tale of the tri-cities

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Barry Gaudet

I often ***** to myself at the municipal minions responsible for desiging Guelph's streets. On my
more charitable days I wish person or persons unknown responsible traffic planning would be taken
out behind city hall and summarily executed. But then I visited the tri-cities yesterday...

The cities in question are Kitchener-Waterloo and Cambridge. An auto-centric agglomeration of
~400,000 lost souls about 30 km from Guelph city center to K-W city center.

It's a combined pleasure ride and utility trip. Sure it takes longer than an auto but when one
consider that not only does one get errands done but also a decent 75 km pleasure/exercise ride in,
it's rather time effective.

I had to visit a government ministry office [ugh!] and a couple other errands Surprisingly enough
things go very quickly at the government office but slower for the other errands. Further evidence
the tri-cities exist in some twilight zone. I've made the trip before but I'm amazed at how little
is done in the way of accommodating cycling.

It's a small thing but speaks volumes: The dearth of bike-racks is quite noticeable - both by the
city and private business. Those that are availlable I am quite certain were designed and selected
by someone who has never locked up a bike.

I've always assumed that one reason why Guelph is relatively bike friendly is the university, hence
a reasonable base of poor student who rely on a bike for transportation. But K-W has two
universities. I guess the relative proportion of students to the general population is the reason.
I did see the odd bike but damned few considering the population.

I wonder which is the the tail and which is the dog. Is the city neglectful of all things
bike-positive because few ride? Or do few ride because the infrastructure is not there?

When I did return I offered a silent apology to the diligent Dilberts in the Guelph public works
department.

--

'Ooh I will make you a believer'

- Sass Jordan

Status
Not open for further replies.