Ouch; or A Tale of Two Pieces of Seatbolt

Dane Buson

Guest
I was coming into work today, leaving a little late, but still in a
decent amount of time to make my first meetings. Having crossed the
I-90 bridge and descended the hill over the lid park, I crossed onto the
MUP and took a seat.

Or rather, tried to. A snapping sound from my seat and a mild cuff on
my nether regions followed. Thankfully, my Carradice SQR bag kept my
saddle from fully tilting all the way back and acted as a secondary
seat. [1] I slowed the bike rather quickly to a stop and checked to
make sure I hadn't done any grievous injury to the seat of my pants.

After a brief pause for reflection[2], I gathered up the loose pieces of
my seatpost, and the broken bolt (sheared in half about four threads
from the top). After stuffing the various pieces into my bag, I headed
to work again. [3]

One of my coworkers was kind enough to drive me up to the LBS to get a
replacement. I was to be sadly disappointed. Wandering back to the
service area, it took a while to get their attention. At first I
thought he was servicing the bike of the guy in front of me. Later I
realized he was simply having a conversation about how *great* Ksyrium
wheels were and some other weight weenie components.

After realizing I had a broken bolt, and it was for the seatpost mount,
*not* the binder, they just looked me blankly and said "we don't have
any of those". I don't expect much from Performance, but that's pretty
poor even for them. A quick trip to Lowes later, I was still sans bolt,
as the type of metric bolts I needed stop at 35mm, and I needed at least
40mm.

I guess I'll stop at a real bike shop after I cross the lake.

http://www.frappr.com/seattlebikeshops

[1] Unexpected reason about #5 I love my Carradice bag.
[2] Did I mention it hurt?
[3] About 5 miles.

--
Dane Buson - [email protected]
"Washington could not tell a lie; Nixon could not tell the truth;

"Dane Buson" wrote:(clip) I don't expect much from Performance, but that's
pretty poor even for them. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The Performance store in San Rafael, CA is excellent.
^^^^^^^^^^^^
"Washington could not tell a lie; Nixon could not tell the truth; Reagan
cannot tell the difference." - Mort Sahl
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Bush knows the difference, but he prefers to lie.

"Leo Lichtman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Dane Buson" wrote:(clip) I don't expect much from Performance, but that's
> pretty poor even for them. (clip)
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> The Performance store in San Rafael, CA is excellent.
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^
> "Washington could not tell a lie; Nixon could not tell the truth; Reagan
> cannot tell the difference." - Mort Sahl
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Bush knows the difference, but he prefers to lie.

Nixon brought'em home, as promised.

"Dane Buson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I was coming into work today, leaving a little late, but still in a
> decent amount of time to make my first meetings. Having crossed the
> I-90 bridge and descended the hill over the lid park, I crossed onto the
> MUP and took a seat.
>
> Or rather, tried to. A snapping sound from my seat and a mild cuff on
> my nether regions followed. Thankfully, my Carradice SQR bag kept my
> saddle from fully tilting all the way back and acted as a secondary
> seat. [1] I slowed the bike rather quickly to a stop and checked to
> make sure I hadn't done any grievous injury to the seat of my pants.
>
> After a brief pause for reflection[2], I gathered up the loose pieces of
> my seatpost, and the broken bolt (sheared in half about four threads
> from the top). After stuffing the various pieces into my bag, I headed
> to work again. [3]
>
> One of my coworkers was kind enough to drive me up to the LBS to get a
> replacement. I was to be sadly disappointed. Wandering back to the
> service area, it took a while to get their attention. At first I
> thought he was servicing the bike of the guy in front of me. Later I
> realized he was simply having a conversation about how *great* Ksyrium
> wheels were and some other weight weenie components.
>
> After realizing I had a broken bolt, and it was for the seatpost mount,
> *not* the binder, they just looked me blankly and said "we don't have
> any of those". I don't expect much from Performance, but that's pretty
> poor even for them. A quick trip to Lowes later, I was still sans bolt,
> as the type of metric bolts I needed stop at 35mm, and I needed at least
> 40mm.
>
> I guess I'll stop at a real bike shop after I cross the lake.
>
> http://www.frappr.com/seattlebikeshops
>
> [1] Unexpected reason about #5 I love my Carradice bag.
> [2] Did I mention it hurt?
> [3] About 5 miles.
>
> --
> Dane Buson - [email protected]
> "Washington could not tell a lie; Nixon could not tell the truth;
> Reagan cannot tell the difference." - Mort Sahl

I had a problem like that once, I had to buy a longer bolt than needed and
cut off the excess, and use a file to smooth it out and camphor the end
some.
But it has still held up for years now.

I had a problem like that once, I had to buy a longer bolt than needed and
> cut off the excess, and use a file to smooth it out

and----->camphor<-------------- the end
> some

After you did that, did it repel moths???

Claire Petersky <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Dane Buson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>> I guess I'll stop at a real bike shop after I cross the lake.

> You could have done Gregg's instead, on this side of the lake; closer and
> better than Performance. Just drop down the Lake Hills Connector to
> downtown, left on Main.

Yes, but if they weren't able to help me for some reason, I would have
had an extra four or five miles and been in the same spot. Once I
crossed the lake, I had a plethora of choices. Including some shops I
know the people fairly well. What I should have thought was to hit
Greggs in the first place.

As it happens, I had a spare seatpost in the right size in my parts box,
so I just swapped it out.

God, I never appreciated how nice a seat is until I didn't have one.

--
Dane Buson - [email protected]
`The only way tcsh "rocks" is when the rocks are attached to its feet

"Handsome Prince" wrote: After you did that, did it repel moths???
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Well, you don't see any moths around it, do you?

"Dane Buson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Claire Petersky <[email protected]> wrote:
>> "Dane Buson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

> What I should have thought was to hit
> Greggs in the first place.

That's what I meant. That Performance shop is OK for picking up, say, a
jersey on sale, but I wouldn't necessarily have my bike worked on there.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/

Frank Drackman <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Dane Buson" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:9769m3->
>> I guess I'll stop at a real bike shop after I cross the lake.
>>
>> http://www.frappr.com/seattlebikeshops

> Tacoma Screw is another great place to look. 116th Street exit off 405 in
> Kirkland, among other places, ...but you already knew that

I know it exists, but I've never managed to make it up there. I work in
the eastside, but I spend most of the rest of my time in Seattle.

--
Dane Buson - [email protected]
"Now, Now, Davan. Rich people don't get drunk. We get eccentric.

Chris Z The Wheelman <[email protected]> wrote:
> Have you tried the Third Hand?
>
> http://www.loosescrews.com/

Well, the problem was I needed the bolt to get home yesterday. Plus
it's my commuter, so I don't like having it down for multiple days.

--
Dane Buson - [email protected]
"And don't tell me there isn't one bit of difference between null and space,

"Dane Buson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Frank Drackman <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> "Dane Buson" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:9769m3->
>>> I guess I'll stop at a real bike shop after I cross the lake.
>>>
>>> http://www.frappr.com/seattlebikeshops

>> Tacoma Screw is another great place to look. 116th Street exit off 405
>> in
>> Kirkland, among other places, ...but you already knew that

> I know it exists, but I've never managed to make it up there. I work in
> the eastside, but I spend most of the rest of my time in Seattle.

Their motto is

"If it is a standard part, we stock it"

They have a great assortment of metric fasteners. I recently used them for
some weird metric screws for cleats.

In article <[email protected]>,
Dane Buson <[email protected]> writes:
> I was coming into work today, leaving a little late, but still in a
> decent amount of time to make my first meetings. Having crossed the
> I-90 bridge and descended the hill over the lid park, I crossed onto the
> MUP and took a seat.
>
> Or rather, tried to. A snapping sound from my seat and a mild cuff on
> my nether regions followed. Thankfully, my Carradice SQR bag kept my
> saddle from fully tilting all the way back and acted as a secondary
> seat. [1] I slowed the bike rather quickly to a stop and checked to
> make sure I hadn't done any grievous injury to the seat of my pants.

Not so long ago you had pieces of handlebar coming off in your hands,
and now this?

Maybe you need bikes made to military spec :)

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

Tom Keats <[email protected]> wrote:

> Not so long ago you had pieces of handlebar coming off in your hands,
> and now this?
>
> Maybe you need bikes made to military spec :)

Well, I'm working on it. I think it's time to move to a two-bolt
seatpost (both for ease of adjustment and the fact that both have to
break before something like this happens). I'm waiting for the warranty
to run out on my frame before I spread it to 145 mm and put in a
dishless tandem wheel though.

--
Dane Buson - [email protected]
"Protecting the children is a good way to get a lot of adults