A True Newbie

sbeason

Sep 10, 2004
I'm what you call a true NEWBIE I haven't ridden a bike in years at least 20 and I need all the information I can get. You see I'm trying to lose weight. I would like to know about how long would one ride on a bike to lose weight and how many miles would be a good start? When you talk about riding for an hour is that riding for an hour without stopping for breaks? If I rode 5-10 min without stopping do you think that would help? I need to lose 50lbs. I know my butt and other things will hurt so I'm prepared for that. Any Help would be appreciated.

sbeason said:
I'm what you call a true NEWBIE I haven't ridden a bike in years at least 20 and I need all the information I can get. You see I'm trying to lose weight. I would like to know about how long would one ride on a bike to lose weight and how many miles would be a good start? When you talk about riding for an hour is that riding for an hour without stopping for breaks? If I rode 5-10 min without stopping do you think that would help? I need to lose 50lbs. I know my butt and other things will hurt so I'm prepared for that. Any Help would be appreciated.

The nice thing about cycling is that you can't screw it up. Do whatever you feel is comfortable!

Riding an hour without a break would be great goal, but not for tomorrow or next week. The idea is simple, you want to push yourself to get your cardio system working, but not kill yourself so after 15 minutes you can't go any further without life support.

If initially, you have to stop every 5-10 minutes for a breather, no big deal. You will find that your fitness level will change very quickly and within a week a two, those breaks won't be needed near as frequently.

My guess is that you will be doing the nonstop one hour ride within 90 days.

Most important of all, have fun! But be prepared. You wouldn't be the first person to get into cycling to get fit and then get hooked for life.

Well, what gruppo said! The key is to get some activity back into your life. You'll do that best if you start slowly enough to remember that riding a bike is fun, not work.

The other key is to make sure that you address your diet as well. I've lost about 40 pounds so far, by getting back on the bike and making a few small changes to my diet - less gratuitous fat, cut down on baked goods, fruit or granola bars (but read the labels on those!) as snacks rather than sweets. I'm still battling my sweet tooth, but it helps that I've gotten addicted to riding the bike!

When I started riding last year, I had trouble getting around the block. By the end of last summer I was doing 10 mile rides. This year my longest has been 45 miles, and I'm planning on a metric century in early October. Slow progress, but hell, I've got the rest of my life!

-danch

If you've been totally sendentary, any increase in activity will help, but 5 - 10 minutes will be negligible. However, even at 50 pounds overweight you should be able to handle a longer ride than 5 - 10 minutes -- I know, I've been there. I was actually about 70 pounds overweight only 21 months ago, dropped 50, got lazy for a while and put 20 back on, but I've dropped 20 plus again in recent months. I'm now still about 15 to 20 pounds overweight, but it's still coming off.

Ride as long as you can do so without feeling too uncomfortable. Try to ride fast enough get into an aerobic zone. If you're not ready to get into using a heart rate monitor or taking your pulse you can still get a general idea of this zone by riding hard enough that you're not able to sing, but still able to talk without too much effort.

Don't ride in your highest gear ratio, it's easier to keep up a decent sustainable pace with less strain on your joints if you gear down a bit.

If you live close enough to your work, use your bike to commute. That way it becomes part of your daily routine and you don't have to set special time aside for a "workout".

I'd guess that most people on the board who refer to hour long rides are indeed doing them without stopping. You WILL be able to build up to this. I've gotten to where I take a non-stop one hour ride 5 days a week. Anything much longer and I start taking short snack and water breaks. Yesterday I did my 1 hour non-stop in the morning, and a 3 hour ride in the afternoon (with several breaks). I'll admit, I was pretty exhausted after the 3 hour ride. I'm going to have to invest in a second water bottle before trying that again.

My goal is to lose the rest of my extra weight and build up to where I can do a century (100 mile) ride. I haven't set any dates, just the goals.

I suggest you don't set dates either. Take things slowly at first and then start pushing a little harder and a little longer. You'll get there.

I agree totally with danch about diet too. Don't go on any fad diets (and yes that includes Atkins). Just wean yourself off of junk and into healthier foods and watch your portions. More fruits and veggies. If you eat white bread, switch to a high fibre whole wheat bread. Wean away from sweetened drinks to water.

Most of us gain weight by neglecting to use common sense. Once you start using that again, your problem is half solved.

Another note on diet. I assume sbeason is Stateside, and that being the case, any time he eats out, his portion is the Fat American portion (I'm not bashing, I live in Texas, look at our fried steak plates sometime). Try this, next time you order, ask your waiter to pack up 1/2 of your meal to go, before he brings it to your table. You'll generally find that your reasonably full and you won't be staring at a swollen gut when you get home.

Good Luck, and just say NO to Ho-Ho's!:p

sbeason said:
I just recently started literally from ground 0 myself, not having ridden a bike in around 15-20 years (since I was a kid on my K-Mart 10-speed). I'm only around 34 miles in total since I started, so I can tell you a few things I learned from this unique perspective:

1. If you can, find something resembling a circuit. This way, when you're whipped you can make it home in very little time. The trick is to not associate biking with pain just yet, because this makes motivation hard.

2. Use your gears, and use them often. If your legs are screaming, shift to an easier gear and pedal faster. This will take the pressure off of your legs and move it to your lungs. If you are panting like a fiend, switch to a harder gear and pedal slower while taking some deep breaths (try to inhale on a 3 count and exhale on a 2 count if you can).

3. I would recommend getting a bicycle computer with Cadence. They're really cheap (Cateye Astale 8 is only around 26 bucks at PerformancBike.com) and they're really easy to install. Once you do this, monitor your cadence while you ride. Find a cadence that is comfortable for you to maintain without straining your legs or lungs too much (too slow will strain your legs, too fast will strain your lungs). Mine is 75, so if I get pedaling too fast, like 85 or so, I switch to a harder gear. If I'm pushing too slow, like 65, I switch to an easier gear. Sometimes hills (and for people like us, rolls in the road are hills) are hard to judge. I have one hill I swear looks downhill when it's actually a slight uphill. When you hit this, use your cadence meter to figure out when to shift gears. As time goes buy, according to the very knowledgable people here, you'll start hitting higher cadences. You eventually want to be in the 90-100 range, but if you try that at first like I did you'll need an artificial lung before long. Plus, I like to use BikeJournal.com to keep track of my rides to see if I'm improving.

4. For some reason, after 3.5 miles I'm really winded and tired. However, one day I just decided to go farther, and found that it wasn't any harder. It actually was a little easier, and I went an additional 2 miles farther. Without putting yourself in too much distress, check one day to see if you have a second wind in you. You might surprise yourself.

5. Once you've ridden a few times, experiment with your big chain ring. You might find that it's actually easier in the long run than the small one. Then again, you might not.

6. When going up a hill, don't downshift too terribly soon. Instead, try to focus on spinning your pedals smoothly, especially pulling with your foot coming up and keeping up the smooth pressure when passing the top and bottom. It's a good skill overall, and going uphill is the best time to practice it. You'll find that maintaining your speed on a higher gear is sometimes easier than shifting to a lower gear too soon. But once the momentum is gone, shift.

7. Ask these guys in this forum tons of questions. They're really knowledgable and friendly.

8. I recommend BikeJournal.Com for keeping track of your rides. You can enter all of your vital stats there. Sometimes it helps to see that you're improving, or at least piling up miles. Today I rode and though I did terrible, but I checked and it was my fastest average speed ever for the same route I always ride, so you can't always go by how you feel during or afterwords. This is, by the way, the other advantage of getting the bike computer.

My advice: forget diets. Being overweight is down to a problem with the metabolism and the metabolism can be altered through exercise.
Myself I found the best way to lose weight is to cycle for long periods as opposed to shorter rides. The body begins to really burn fat when you've been cycling for about 70 minutes. Obviously this is impossible for a beginner as you may find it tough enough to cycle for half and hour, let alone 2 hours.
The thing to do is take it easy to begin with and work on your fitness. You may not lose weight for some time but your fitness will improve more quickly. Once the fitness is there, you can work up to longer cycle rides and it's the longer rides that will give you a fast metabolism.
As for food, I suggest the following:
(1)Plenty of fruit.
(2)Plenty of salad.
(3) Chicken or fish (lamb or beef is also O.K. but a bit more fattening).
(4)Wholemeal bread, oatcake biscuits, potatoes
(5)Cottage cheese, skimmed milk, vitamin shakes (as slimmer aids), non-sugared yoghurt.
Cut out the following:
Fries, burgers, chocolates, crisps, salted food or tinned food with salt. Excessive alcohol and smoking. Bacon and egg fry-ups or diner-style frie-ups.
The odd exception is O.K. A bar of chocolate once a week or a burger once in a while won't kill you if it acts as a counterweight to the worse desire of giving in to a total binge.
P.S. I eat the odd burger and love chocolate but my metabolism is far faster than 6 months ago so I burn up most of what I eat.

sbeason said: