tcomeau humorously opines:
Quoted message said:There are several other ways of "seeing" what is going on and sometimes isn't obvious to most.
Watching people's plates at buffets, watching cooking shows, etc.
At buffets, invariably, obese people load up on refined and high-GI carbs, potatoes, bread, etc.
and the meal is usually accompanied by some kind of large container of sweetened drink.
First off nearly everyone over indulges not just overweight people on a buffet table.
Are you aware of the art of setting up a buffet table?? The cheapest to prepare and bulky
items(potato and macaroni for example) are always first. Whether it's simply gluttony or outright
hunger people puts gobs of the cheap stuff on their plate. As they move down the table the items
cost more. Most of the expensive foods such as meats are last when you have very little room on your
dish. if you reveres the order and put the meat first, you would see the plates piled with $$meat$$.
While you may focus on the fact that the early items are refined, I focus on they are loaded with
fat calories. Frankly I think the multi dollop of mayo in the pile potato salad does more to blow up
your hips then the spuds.
Quoted message said:I was watching a cooking show the other day where the significantly *overweight* female host was
baking *cookies* sprinkled with sugar and cooking a pasta dish (low-fat of course). For us low-
carbers those are significant red flags.
Only a red flag if you have a control problem. With self control you can have an occasional cookie.
Quoted message said:
I attended a safe grad meeting last year where one lady was insisting that we supply the grads,
who would be drinking alcoholic beverages in copious quantities, with *healthy* foods only. Her
idea of healthy food was low-fat stuff, specifically veggies and fruit.
Oh God how terrible. I would have hung her on the spot. Those evil fruits and veggies when they
could have had a platter greasy double whoppers. I can just see those evil little broccoli,
cauliflower, peppers, raw carrots and grape tomatoes sitting on a tray saying, eat me if you dare.
How could possibly hold back that urge to plug her on the spot. I have to admire your self control.
You should form a lobby not to sue the the fast food folks but those chubby little ladies that
prepare buffet vegetable platters. I see a Nobel Prize in this for you.
Quoted message said:offered to bake bread and muffins for the event, all low-fat. She explained how she runs a home
bakery and would do it at cost. On the surface it sounded good except this "health" expert must
have been 5 feet tall and weighed probably 250 to 275 lbs. Red flags a plenty.
Yup big red flag. Personal obesity means she is ignorant of healthy food. Wanna bet she doesn't
normally eat fruits and veggies and prefers potato salad and desserts?
Quoted message said:
I may have been the only one there who saw the incongruity of this individual trying to impose her
idea of "healthy" high-carb eating onto an entire group.
I'll bet you were. I'll bet you were. Are you having fun trolling???
--
Doug Freese "Caveat Lector" [email hidden]