UK and Europe · Public discussion

About those Lidl bike tools and a lumpy bottom bracket

Started by Simon L · · Last activity · 13 posts · 1,026 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
10 November 2006
Last activity
10 November 2006
Original author
Simon L
Posts
13
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,026
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–13 of 13
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Having been pleased with the quantity of tools in the £16 Lidl tool
    kit, I try not to be too annoyed when they break.

    The chain tool broke on first use (my fault I suppose for not
    tightening up the nut at the back so that the chain was resting on
    something.)

    I had to use two of the pressed steel spanners on the crank extractor
    as they were bending out of shape.

    And the funny bottom bracket tool for my hack road bike has bent beyond
    further use instead of undoing the bearing cup.

    It's an odd bearing cup - there are six divots in it. I believe it
    should have moved under the pressure it took to bend the cheapo tool (I
    did undo the lock ring).

    Is this an upmarket version of the same tool?

    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.aspx?Main=CategoryProducts.aspx&Cat=cycle&w=0&CategoryName=Tools%20-%20Workshop

    Parkers had a similar tool but referred to it as a Campy BB Cartridge
    tool - I'm sure it's not a sealed unit though.

    My LBS were a bit cautious when I described the problem and started
    reeling off the number of a firm who could drill it out for me :-0

  2. "Simon L" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    And the funny bottom bracket tool for my hack road bike has
    bent beyond further use instead of undoing the bearing cup.

    Quoted message said:

    It's an odd bearing cup - there are six divots in it. I
    believe it should have moved under the pressure it took
    to bend the cheapo tool (I did undo the lock ring).

    Did you mean

    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.aspx?ProdID=5360026105

    or

    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.aspx?ProdID=5360009364

    (urls hand-trimmed to the minimum :-) )

    Are the 6 divots round or square? (the tools above are for the round ones
    found in [censored]/SKS cartridge bottom brackets)

    You were undoing it the right way, weren't you? (sorry if that appears
    patronising, but it is worth checking).

    What sort of BB is it?

    cheers,
    clive

  3. In article <[email hidden]>

    Clive George said:

    "Simon L" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    And the funny bottom bracket tool for my hack road bike has
    bent beyond further use instead of undoing the bearing cup.

    Quoted message said:

    It's an odd bearing cup - there are six divots in it. I
    believe it should have moved under the pressure it took
    to bend the cheapo tool (I did undo the lock ring).

    Did you mean

    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.aspx?ProdID=5360026105

    or

    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.aspx?ProdID=5360009364

    (urls hand-trimmed to the minimum :-) )

    Are the 6 divots round or square? (the tools above are for the round ones
    found in [censored]/SKS cartridge bottom brackets)


    At a pinch you can often remove that sort of cartridge with water pump
    pliers. If it's a plastic shell and seized or badly chewed you can beat
    the axle out with a large hammer[1] and saw/chisel/burn the rest out.

    [1] Nasty, I know - don't bend the frame.


  4. Quoted message said:

    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.aspx?ProdID=5360026105

    mmm maybe. Bit hard to to scale it.

    Quoted message said:

    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.aspx?ProdID=5360009364

    I can't see that its got anything sticking out of it, but maybe.

    The holes are round. My lidl tool was two arms on a pivot with allan
    bolts going though the end of each arm, machined down to 3mm or so dia.

    Quoted message said:

    You were undoing it the right way, weren't you? (sorry if that appears
    patronising, but it is worth checking).

    No - I hadn't thought of this. Anti-clockwise on the LH crank side was
    the way I had been going, so it would tend to loosen with normal
    pedalling. But there is a lock ring.

  5. It's in a Diamant frame I got off ebay a while back - never heard of
    them before, Googling doesn't reveal too much. Steel frame, steel BB so
    far as I can tell.

  6. Simon L said:

    It's in a Diamant frame I got off ebay a while back - never heard of
    them before, Googling doesn't reveal too much. Steel frame, steel BB so
    far as I can tell.

    German, so it should be BSC

    Remove the RH cup (LH thread, big vise) and axle & bearings

    Get a large (5/8 unc, M 14 etc) bolt & nut and bolt this through the LH
    cup and have a go with a decent spanner. Mig welding a nut to the cup
    will also work if you don't plan on re-using it

    --
    ---
    Marten Gerritsen

    INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
    www.m-gineering.nl

  7. Simon L said:


    Quoted message said:

    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.aspx?ProdID=5360026105

    mmm maybe. Bit hard to to scale it.

    Quoted message said:

    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.aspx?ProdID=5360009364

    I can't see that its got anything sticking out of it, but maybe.

    The holes are round. My lidl tool was two arms on a pivot with allan
    bolts going though the end of each arm, machined down to 3mm or so dia.

    Quoted message said:

    You were undoing it the right way, weren't you? (sorry if that appears
    patronising, but it is worth checking).

    No - I hadn't thought of this. Anti-clockwise on the LH crank side was
    the way I had been going, so it would tend to loosen with normal
    pedalling. But there is a lock ring.

    They are always anti-clockwise to undo on the LH crank side (left as you
    sit on the bike going forwards).

    It's the RH one that has a reverse thread on "British" as opposed to
    "Italian" BBs (which just have a normal thread on both sides).

    This is counter-intuitive if you think of the crank as a spanner, but
    apparently it doesn't work like that (I don't understand how it does
    work).

    NB even if your BB is literally Italian, for example, Campagnolo, it may
    still have British threads.

  8. Simon L said:

    Having been pleased with the quantity of tools in the £16 Lidl tool
    kit, I try not to be too annoyed when they break.

    I had to use two of the pressed steel spanners on the crank extractor
    as they were bending out of shape.

    I think those two spanners are cone spanners and are supposed to be thin and are not really meant to take much
    force.

    John B

  9. "Simon L" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.aspx?ProdID=5360026105

    mmm maybe. Bit hard to to scale it.

    Quoted message said:

    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.aspx?ProdID=5360009364

    I can't see that its got anything sticking out of it, but maybe.

    The holes are round. My lidl tool was two arms on a pivot with allan
    bolts going though the end of each arm, machined down to 3mm or so dia.

    Um, you orignally posted a link to wiggle saying "Is this an upmarket
    version of the same tool?" - except your link pointed to the entire of
    wiggle's workshop section. Which tool were you actually looking at?

    (thinks) ah - pin spanner? - at a guess the pins broke?

    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.aspx?ProdID=5300002342 ?
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.aspx?ProdID=5300002346

    If it was the latter one you were looking at, yes, that's probably going to
    be stronger.

    (the tools I was pointing to were for a completely different style of BB -
    there's a ring outside the shell with 6 detents on the circumference. Which
    is rather stronger than the pins...).

    However it could well be properly stuck. Those pins are only meant for
    adjustment - not for providing huge force. It might be cheaper to pay the
    LBS to remove it. One LBS who did this for me did it by brazing a lever onto
    the stuck bit and turning it that way. (obviously the heat involved will
    also help unstick the parts).

    Get a shimano BB to replace it when you eventually get the old one out :-)

    cheers,
    clive


  10. Quoted message said:

    I think those two spanners are cone spanners and are supposed to be thin and are not really > meant to take much force.

    I know I know but putting caveats against all the tools I've broken
    makes it look like my fault, when surely it's someone else's.

  11. Ben C said:

    They are always anti-clockwise to undo on the LH crank side (left as you
    sit on the bike going forwards).

    It's the RH one that has a reverse thread on "British" as opposed to
    "Italian" BBs (which just have a normal thread on both sides).

    This is counter-intuitive if you think of the crank as a spanner, but
    apparently it doesn't work like that (I don't understand how it does
    work).

    If it is the same as pedals then Wikipedia says it is because of
    precession:

    "Although the pedal turns clockwise in its bearing relative to the
    crankarm, the force from the rider's foot presses the bearing against
    the crankarm thread at a point which rolls around clockwise, thus
    slowly pulling the outside of the bearing anticlockwise because of
    friction."

    But not in Italy? What about south of the equator?

  12. Simon L said:
    Quoted message said:

    I think those two spanners are cone spanners and are supposed to be thin and are not really > meant to take much force.

    I know I know but putting caveats against all the tools I've broken
    makes it look like my fault, when surely it's someone else's.

    LOL

    Splutter. It weren't me, it was im. Honest.

    John B

  13. "Simon L" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    And the funny bottom bracket tool for my hack road bike has
    bent beyond further use instead of undoing the bearing cup.

    It's an odd bearing cup - there are six divots in it. I
    believe it should have moved under the pressure it took
    to bend the cheapo tool (I did undo the lock ring).

    Sounds like you bought a set of tool-shaped-objects :o

    --
    David Lloyd,
    The pub is responsible for my opinions.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.