acceleration

I am from Connecticut, southern part. There is a group ride, but I probally won't go. Every time I go I end up pulling the pack way too much, and doing too much work. It's november, not the time to do that kind of training!

I just did my first ride since last weekend and I am feeling good! The weights are already improving my sprint power, and I am doing pathetically light weight(adaption phase) I was seeing numbers I have never seen before - very nice! I did however pull a muscle in my lower back during a sprint today. I really need to start doing more core work. Deadlifts and stiff legged deadlifts, I am adding those. It is hard getting all the work in without going to a gym. i could use a lot more equipment at home.

I would recomend that for an easy day you should just spin a small gear at a slow pace. Recovery is so important.

Tomorrow I might ride this track bike I borrowed from the LBS today. It's the cannondale optimo track frame. The bike weighs nothing. I might end up buying it next spring so I have a decent track bike. it has a sweet paintjob.

velomanct said:
I am from Connecticut, southern part. There is a group ride, but I probally won't go. Every time I go I end up pulling the pack way too much, and doing too much work. It's november, not the time to do that kind of training!

I just did my first ride since last weekend and I am feeling good! The weights are already improving my sprint power, and I am doing pathetically light weight(adaption phase) I was seeing numbers I have never seen before - very nice! I did however pull a muscle in my lower back during a sprint today. I really need to start doing more core work. Deadlifts and stiff legged deadlifts, I am adding those. It is hard getting all the work in without going to a gym. i could use a lot more equipment at home.

I would recomend that for an easy day you should just spin a small gear at a slow pace. Recovery is so important.

Tomorrow I might ride this track bike I borrowed from the LBS today. It's the cannondale optimo track frame. The bike weighs nothing. I might end up buying it next spring so I have a decent track bike. it has a sweet paintjob.

You mention core work, although i would think that stiff legges is more fro hams, regular deadlifts are great for core, along with very heavy half squats withought a belt

taras0000 said:
You mention core work, although i would think that stiff legges is more fro hams, regular deadlifts are great for core, along with very heavy half squats withought a belt
I just did some lifts today. regular dead lifts and stiff legged deadlifts. Both seemed to work my lower back quite a bit. I tried keeping my back as flat as possible on the the stiff legged deadlifts. i don't know if it's because i am tall, but I can't lower the weight all the way to the floor while keeping my back flat and legs straight. Maybe I am not flexible enough, but I do stretch before and after.

In addition to those two lifts I also did squats and step ups, and calf raises in the same workout. Do you think this is too much leg work? I did the squats last and felt kind of weak. I need to keep the deadlift and squat, those are the most important.

As part of our Sprint training, we perform many Standing starts. 53x14 max usually, but down to 51x14.

Counting pedal revs, 10revs = 25mph, 15revs = 32mph (15revs = 100m)

I guess the elite sprintrs are much faste than this but what also counts is how good you are at getting out of the starting gate where the bike is held fixed. you can easily loose .5sec at this point of a kilo, and thats the difference between quite a few placings!

probably not, i know when we used to train we used to isolated body groups, every 16 weeks legs where completed 3 times a week for 12wks replacing wednesday's back session for yet another legs session, this was a cycle circuit rotating from exercise to ergometre (light and explosive session)

Morning cycle sprints mon:legs (3 mile run cross country)
step ups
front squats
squats
leg extensions
single leg extensions
alternate leg extensions
leg press
standing calf raises
seated leg raises
hamstring curl (lying and standing) alternate and single

situps and hyper extension to finish

morning cycle sprints tuesday:chest (6 mile run cross country)
bench press
flat dumbel flies
cable crossovers
incline dumbel flies
incline bench press
pull overs

sit ups and hyper extensions to finish

morning cycle sprints wednesday:back (13 mile run cross country)
military press (every 3rd week 26miles was completed)
press behind neck
shruggs
forward dumbel raises
side lateral raises
dead lifts (straight legs and on a box)
back curl
pull downs behind neck
low pulley rowing

sit ups and hyper extensinons finish

morning cycle sprints thursday: arms ( 10 mile run cross country)
barbel curl
dumbel curl
hammer curl
push downs
kick backs
preacher curls
screw curls
wrist curls
reverse curl
lets play 21's

situps and hyper extensions to finish

morning cycle sprints friday: legs

step ups
squats
front squats
leg press
leg extensions
single leg extensions
alternate leg extensions
hamstring curl (lying and standing) alternate and single
seated calf raises
standing calf raises

situps and hyperextensions to finish

(situps) (this was completed religiously / daily)
bar twists (sometimes incorporated into circuit / run)
sit ups (choppin e.t.c)
side sits
V sits
single leg V sits
Alternate leg V sits
crunches
cramps
twists (single / alternate)
double twists
cross overs
leg raises
leg raised situps
incline sits

saturday: Circuit training/Tredmill+ergometre spin(With Girlfriend+Possible run)

meal for 2 and she'd have something :D

sunday: circuit training /tredmill+ergometre spin (With Girlfriend)

week from my old training diary :mad:

Any acceleration figures will vary according to gearing used, so to make comparisons, everyone needs to do the EXACT same test. It should also be noted that to get off the mark from a dead stop will be MUCH slower than from a slow moving start. Starting the bike moving in the first place is the most difficult part of the exercise. So to get a good, accurate test result you need to do the test from a dead stop and on a specific gear ratio. As a coach I have a test regime that I have used. On a track bike with 50 x 16 gearing and a timed 100m standing start. Using a hand watch, the quickest I have seen so far was 9.7sec. This was done on Warragul Velodrome.

rickt said:
Any acceleration figures will vary according to gearing used, so to make comparisons, everyone needs to do the EXACT same test. It should also be noted that to get off the mark from a dead stop will be MUCH slower than from a slow moving start. Starting the bike moving in the first place is the most difficult part of the exercise. So to get a good, accurate test result you need to do the test from a dead stop and on a specific gear ratio. As a coach I have a test regime that I have used. On a track bike with 50 x 16 gearing and a timed 100m standing start. Using a hand watch, the quickest I have seen so far was 9.7sec. This was done on Warragul Velodrome.
we did some street sprints today, 100meter standing starts. we were on road bikes though, and I started in my 53x21 then shifted. time was 8 seconds, but the distance was not exactly verified. top speed was 34mph though. the pavement wasn't the best either.

I was playing around in my street today, did some starts from my mailbox to a telephone poll, which was 8 meters. Got to 26 km/h using my granny gear (39x23) and 21 km/h in a track sprint gear (53x16). I'm going to measure out some longer distances, it's fun being able to test right in front of my house.

velomanct said:
I was playing around in my street today, did some starts from my mailbox to a telephone poll, which was 8 meters. Got to 26 km/h using my granny gear (39x23) and 21 km/h in a track sprint gear (53x16). I'm going to measure out some longer distances, it's fun being able to test right in front of my house.

For the team sprint you may want to see how quickly (in distance or time) you can get to 37+mph (~36mph for non-aero wheels) in one gear. With your ability I think you'll end up preferring a 53x15.

WarrenG said:
For the team sprint you may want to see how quickly (in distance or time) you can get to 37+mph (~36mph for non-aero wheels) in one gear. With your ability I think you'll end up preferring a 53x15.
yeh, I'm going to practice a lot of standing starts. and you're right about the gear, I am better off with a slightly larger one. I'm just looking at a ride from last year, did 0-36mph in a 53x15 in 13 seconds. Thing is, I didn't even get above 37 during that 250meter effort. poor top end.

velomanct said:
yeh, I'm going to practice a lot of standing starts. and you're right about the gear, I am better off with a slightly larger one. I'm just looking at a ride from last year, did 0-36mph in a 53x15 in 13 seconds. Thing is, I didn't even get above 37 during that 250meter effort. poor top end.

Strength like you have gets you off the line fast but you need good technique to go 37+ in that same gear. Lots of 10-15" sprints out of the saddle that get to around 130+ rpm's will help (53x18?). I do these and focus on sitting down smoothly and continuing to accelerate after I sit down. Important for match sprints too.

Once you're at high rpm's you don't get a great mechanical advantage by being out of the saddle and you're much more aero in the saddle. However, in team sprint you are also trying to help your two teammates behind you so you might want to stay out of the saddle just a bit longer to maintain that great draft for them so it will be easier for them to continue accelerating.

Try the same 100m test starting on a 53/17 and leave it there, that is almost exactly the same ratio as 50/16, Remember that the initial start is the most difficult part of the excercise, so reducing the start gear allows for completely different acceleration. In fact the 50/16 combo is 23.5% higher than 53/21. The 9.7 was also done on 165mm cranks which produce approx 3% less leverage than 170mm cranks, and are therefore harder to get going from stopped.

velomanct said:
we did some street sprints today, 100meter standing starts. we were on road bikes though, and I started in my 53x21 then shifted. time was 8 seconds, but the distance was not exactly verified. top speed was 34mph though. the pavement wasn't the best either.

rickt said:
Try the same 100m test starting on a 53/17 and leave it there, that is almost exactly the same ratio as 50/16, Remember that the initial start is the most difficult part of the excercise, so reducing the start gear allows for completely different acceleration. In fact the 50/16 combo is 23.5% higher than 53/21. The 9.7 was also done on 165mm cranks which produce approx 3% less leverage than 170mm cranks, and are therefore harder to get going from stopped.
Yeah, I know in my above example, the variables were a lot more favorable. I also ride 175s. I think the time was more like 9 seconds, looking at the graph again. And like I said, the distance was not verified.