rec.bicycles.rides · Public discussion

Across Sandusky Bay, Ohio... how?

Started by cashrefundman · · Last activity · 6 posts · 3,484 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.bicycles.rides
Published
12 August 2004
Last activity
26 July 2019
Original author
cashrefundman
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
3,484
Views / 30 days
23

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I am plotting a route around lake erie

    I think that highway 2 across Sandusky Bay is closed to bikes.

    Topo USA shows me Yetter Rd going across the bay parallel to hwy 2.

    I don't remember that, but its been years since I've driven through.

    Does this road exist? Has it always been there or is it new?

    thx

    CRM.

  2. My wife and I bicycled around Lake Erie from Pittsburgh a number of years
    ago. We went south and around the bay. It added a day to our trip. We camped
    in a town that had some tourist attraction called "the blue hole." If you
    are planning on riding from Detriot to Canada, I have noticed some comments
    that you cannot take your bike on the sidewalk on the bridge. When we
    traveled we were able to do it. Our original plan was to take the ferry from
    Sandusky to Point Pelle (sp), but we were too early in the season, and it
    was not running yet. So we had to bike through Toledo, and then over to
    Canada through Detriot. The whole trip was around four weeks, but we took
    our time.

    Tom

  3. on my recent xcty trip I came into sandusky from leamington, ont via ferry( in
    aug it comes from kingsville instead). I took 2 at Huron 2 turns into freeway
    but there's a sort of "old" 2 that goes around that section. after that I
    headed south so cant tell you anymore about 2 after that point.
    gebuh

    Quoted message said:

    I am plotting a route around lake erie

    I think that highway 2 across Sandusky Bay is closed to bikes.

    Topo USA shows me Yetter Rd going across the bay parallel to hwy 2.

    I don't remember that, but its been years since I've driven through.

    Does this road exist? Has it always been there or is it new?

    thx

    CRM.

  4. Quoted message said:

    I am plotting a route around lake erie

    I think that highway 2 across Sandusky Bay is closed to bikes.

    My information is old, and I wouldn't necessarily recommend this...
    but in 1992, I cycled on highway 2 across Sandusky Bay despite signs
    prohibiting bicyles.

    --mev, Mike Vermeulen

  5. "cashrefundman" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I am plotting a route around lake erie

    I think that highway 2 across Sandusky Bay is closed to bikes.

    Topo USA shows me Yetter Rd going across the bay parallel to hwy 2.

    I don't remember that, but its been years since I've driven through.

    Does this road exist? Has it always been there or is it new?

    thx

    CRM.

    Yetter Road does not cross the bay. It is an old road that had a draw bridge
    that has been removed, maybe 20 years ago. The remaining road is used as a
    fishing pier. You have two choices, go all the way around the bay via
    Freemont or cross the bay bridge in violation of the posted signs. I do not
    know if you will be fined or reprimanded if you are caught. I do know a
    number of people who have ridden across the bridge, myself included. It's
    been about ten years. There is a reasonable shoulder. I'd call a bike shop
    in Sandusky and Freemont and ask what the locals do and if there is a good
    time of day to cross, depending on your direction of travel.
    Bill

  6. cashrefundman said:

    I am plotting a route around lake erie

    I think that highway 2 across Sandusky Bay is closed to bikes.

    Topo USA shows me Yetter Rd going across the bay parallel to hwy 2.

    I don't remember that, but its been years since I've driven through.

    Does this road exist? Has it always been there or is it new?

    thx

    CRM.


    I've crossed on the Causeway in blissful ignorance of the signage once about 35 years ago. My advice is to go as fast as you can. Stay to the right side of the roadway. Steer around the debris on the roadway as best you can. Gauge the winds ahead of time, but remember over the bay there is nothing to buffer those winds. Be prepared for wind gusts from trucks, camper vans, and cars pulling boats. Remember also that no one is expecting a cyclist on the Causeway because they read the signs. Once across, look back at where you were and collect yourself. It was a huge adrenalin rush for me.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.