Across Sandusky Bay, Ohio... how?

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides' started by cashrefundman, Aug 12, 2004.

  1. I am plotting a route around lake erie

    I think that highway 2 across Sandusky Bay is closed to bikes.

    Topo USA shows me Yetter Rd going across the bay parallel to hwy 2.

    I don't remember that, but its been years since I've driven through.

    Does this road exist? Has it always been there or is it new?

    thx

    CRM.

    Tags:

  2. mary

    mary Guest

    My wife and I bicycled around Lake Erie from Pittsburgh a number of years
    ago. We went south and around the bay. It added a day to our trip. We camped
    in a town that had some tourist attraction called "the blue hole." If you
    are planning on riding from Detriot to Canada, I have noticed some comments
    that you cannot take your bike on the sidewalk on the bridge. When we
    traveled we were able to do it. Our original plan was to take the ferry from
    Sandusky to Point Pelle (sp), but we were too early in the season, and it
    was not running yet. So we had to bike through Toledo, and then over to
    Canada through Detriot. The whole trip was around four weeks, but we took
    our time.

    Tom

  3. GEBUH

    GEBUH Guest

    on my recent xcty trip I came into sandusky from leamington, ont via ferry( in
    aug it comes from kingsville instead). I took 2 at Huron 2 turns into freeway
    but there's a sort of "old" 2 that goes around that section. after that I
    headed south so cant tell you anymore about 2 after that point.
    gebuh

    >I am plotting a route around lake erie
    >
    >I think that highway 2 across Sandusky Bay is closed to bikes.
    >
    >Topo USA shows me Yetter Rd going across the bay parallel to hwy 2.
    >
    >I don't remember that, but its been years since I've driven through.
    >
    >Does this road exist? Has it always been there or is it new?
    >
    >thx
    >
    >CRM.

  4. >I am plotting a route around lake erie

    >I think that highway 2 across Sandusky Bay is closed to bikes.

    My information is old, and I wouldn't necessarily recommend this...
    but in 1992, I cycled on highway 2 across Sandusky Bay despite signs
    prohibiting bicyles.

    --mev, Mike Vermeulen

  5. Bill

    Bill Guest

    "cashrefundman" <cashrefundman@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I am plotting a route around lake erie
    >
    > I think that highway 2 across Sandusky Bay is closed to bikes.
    >
    > Topo USA shows me Yetter Rd going across the bay parallel to hwy 2.
    >
    > I don't remember that, but its been years since I've driven through.
    >
    > Does this road exist? Has it always been there or is it new?
    >
    > thx
    >
    > CRM.

    Yetter Road does not cross the bay. It is an old road that had a draw bridge
    that has been removed, maybe 20 years ago. The remaining road is used as a
    fishing pier. You have two choices, go all the way around the bay via
    Freemont or cross the bay bridge in violation of the posted signs. I do not
    know if you will be fined or reprimanded if you are caught. I do know a
    number of people who have ridden across the bridge, myself included. It's
    been about ten years. There is a reasonable shoulder. I'd call a bike shop
    in Sandusky and Freemont and ask what the locals do and if there is a good
    time of day to cross, depending on your direction of travel.
    Bill

  6. CrazyJohn

    CrazyJohn New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2019
    I've crossed on the Causeway in blissful ignorance of the signage once about 35 years ago. My advice is to go as fast as you can. Stay to the right side of the roadway. Steer around the debris on the roadway as best you can. Gauge the winds ahead of time, but remember over the bay there is nothing to buffer those winds. Be prepared for wind gusts from trucks, camper vans, and cars pulling boats. Remember also that no one is expecting a cyclist on the Causeway because they read the signs. Once across, look back at where you were and collect yourself. It was a huge adrenalin rush for me.