Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Adding 30T cog to Ultegra cassette

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 6 posts · 610 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
19 April 2007
Last activity
20 April 2007
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
610
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have a Shimano Ultegra 9sp cassette, 12-27. I would like to add a
    loose 30T cog and remove the 14T cog, to make a 12-30. If I use an LX
    cog, will this still shift ok?
    Would a 30T Sram cog work, too?

    Thanks.

  2. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted message said:

    I have a Shimano Ultegra 9sp cassette, 12-27. I would like to add a
    loose 30T cog and remove the 14T cog, to make a 12-30. If I use an LX
    cog, will this still shift ok?

    Yes. It works just fine. see www.sheldonbrown.com for this and
    many other possible gear tweaks you can do with 9spd.

    Quoted message said:

    Would a 30T Sram cog work, too?

    I dunno, never tried that.

    _ Booker C. Bense

  3. Booker C. Bense bbense+rec.bicycles.tech.Apr. said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted message said:

    I have a Shimano Ultegra 9sp cassette, 12-27. I would like to add a
    loose 30T cog and remove the 14T cog, to make a 12-30. If I use an LX
    cog, will this still shift ok?

    Yes. It works just fine. seewww.sheldonbrown.comfor this and
    many other possible gear tweaks you can do with 9spd.

    Quoted message said:

    Would a 30T Sram cog work, too?

    I dunno, never tried that.

    _ Booker C. Bense

    SRAM cogs are thicker and use thinner spacers. If you're just adding
    one at the end, it would probably work fine, but the transition from
    the 21-24-27 spider on the Ultegra cassette to the loose 30T might be
    odd, as would the 13-15 shift, with the ramps not aligned. Most people
    probably wouldn't notice, but some would.

    I say this as the guy who alternates thin SRAM spacers with thick
    Miche spacers to get something approximating Campy spacing on a SRAM
    MTB cassette on his touring bike.

  4. I did exactly that on my tandem and it works fine.
    I bought the 30T shimano cog from Harris Cyclery.

    Joel

  5. Hank Wirtz said:

    On Apr 19, 10:53 am, Booker C. Bense <bbense+rec.bicycles.tech.Apr.

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I have a Shimano Ultegra 9sp cassette, 12-27. I would like to add a
    loose 30T cog and remove the 14T cog, to make a 12-30. If I use an LX
    cog, will this still shift ok?

    Quoted message said:

    Yes. It works just fine. seewww.sheldonbrown.comforthis and
    many other possible gear tweaks you can do with 9spd.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Would a 30T Sram cog work, too?

    Quoted message said:

    I dunno, never tried that.

    Quoted message said:

    _ Booker C. Bense

    SRAM cogs are thicker and use thinner spacers. If you're just adding
    one at the end, it would probably work fine, but the transition from
    the 21-24-27 spider on the Ultegra cassette to the loose 30T might be
    odd, as would the 13-15 shift, with the ramps not aligned. Most people
    probably wouldn't notice, but some would.

    I say this as the guy who alternates thin SRAM spacers with thick
    Miche spacers to get something approximating Campy spacing on a SRAM
    MTB cassette on his touring bike.- Hide quoted text -

    - Show quoted text -

    You're saying that an Sram cassette won't work with Campy shifters?
    My understanding is that Shimano 9sp cassettes work just fine with
    Campy 9sp shifters, so wouldn't Sram work, too?

  6. Quoted post said:
    Hank Wirtz said:

    On Apr 19, 10:53 am, Booker C. Bense <bbense+rec.bicycles.tech.Apr.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    [email hidden] <[email hidden]> wrote:
    >I have a Shimano Ultegra 9sp cassette, 12-27. I would like to add a
    >loose 30T cog and remove the 14T cog, to make a 12-30. If I use an LX
    >cog, will this still shift ok?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Yes. It works just fine. seewww.sheldonbrown.comforthisand
    many other possible gear tweaks you can do with 9spd.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >Would a 30T Sram cog work, too?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I dunno, never tried that.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    _ Booker C. Bense

    Quoted message said:

    SRAM cogs are thicker and use thinner spacers. If you're just adding
    one at the end, it would probably work fine, but the transition from
    the 21-24-27 spider on the Ultegra cassette to the loose 30T might be
    odd, as would the 13-15 shift, with the ramps not aligned. Most people
    probably wouldn't notice, but some would.

    Quoted message said:

    I say this as the guy who alternates thin SRAM spacers with thick
    Miche spacers to get something approximating Campy spacing on a SRAM
    MTB cassette on his touring bike.- Hide quoted text -

    Quoted message said:

    - Show quoted text -

    You're saying that an Sram cassette won't work with Campy shifters?
    My understanding is that Shimano 9sp cassettes work just fine with
    Campy 9sp shifters, so wouldn't Sram work, too?

    It does, if you center the adjustment on the middle cog and keep
    everything really clean. I often fail on the latter, so I experimented
    with the spacers and it hits the ends a little easier this way.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.