adding extra weight for training?

> Strange. I didn't remember until just now...last night, I had a dream where I was riding to some
> sort of bicyclist meeting,

You are making a personal journey, perhaps with the goal of joining others who are also interested
in making personal journeys.

> which coincidentally was just around the corner from my house,

This journey is not an arduous one -- it is not far from that which is familiar and cozy.

> when I saw some tools, barely visible in the grass up against the curb.
>
> The grass, strangely, was where I'd expect to see pavement against the curb; looking down and to
> my right, I see grass against the left side of the curb, with the curb rising up from it; but
> looking straight down, I was on pavement. I didn't see the transition.

There is a transition coming up in your life that is a part of this journey. It isn't completely
visible from where you are now -- if you look only narrowly, you appear to be as you always were --
only a broader view makes it more obvious.

> Anyway, I stopped, figuring I'd take 'em; they were obviously abandoned, a minor amount of rust
> showing and they were quite overgrown with that grass, barely visible.

If you make this transition, there are personal tools available to you, which you can find if you
look carefully. You haven't use these tools in a while, and perhaps at first glance they appear
tarnished, which is why they are rusty in the dream.

> I opened the trailer to put the tools in. The trailer looked inside very much like the inside of a
> construction worker's dirty truck box, with a sliding tray near the top, everything covered in
> black grime and miscellaneous tools and garbage filling it.

Indeed, you are willing to accept these tools for use, but it isn't as if you are going to use them
immediately -- instead, you put them with other things that are soiled or to be thrown away.

> I started loading them in, pulling them out of the grass and dirt, some of them quite embedded.

OK, so it will take a bit of effort for you to get at these tools. Since they are embedded, I wonder
if they are embedded in your subconscious mind, and it will take some effort to bring them to
ordinary consciousness.

> This all happened right around the corner, and in my dream I thought it was across the street from
> one person that I dislike, but the location in my dream is actually across the street from a
> _different_ person who I dislike; both live on that street, though.

This is hard to interpret without knowing these people and their significance to you.

> What does all this mean? Does it mean that we need a new newsfroup called
> rec.bicycles.dream-interpretation?

The folks over in alt.dreams were rather nasty, I thought, when I cross-posted something related to
the dream symbology of bicycling. One suggested that I do a google search on trike and tricycle
along with bike and bicycle on alt.dreams. That made me realize that the meaning of a bicycle or of
bicycling is going to be very different for those who are regularly engaged in the practice of
bicycling, compared to those who only have done bicycling as a child.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky Please replace earthlink for mouse-potato and .net for .com

Home of the meditative cyclist: http://home.earthlink.net/~cpetersky/Welcome.htm

Books just wanna be FREE! See what I mean at: http://bookcrossing.com/friend/Cpetersky

Claire Petersky <[email protected]> wrote:

: The folks over in alt.dreams were rather nasty, I thought, when I cross-posted something related
: to the dream symbology of bicycling. One suggested that I do a google search on trike and tricycle
: along with bike and bicycle on alt.dreams. That made me realize that the meaning of a bicycle or
: of bicycling is going to be very different for those who are regularly engaged in the practice of
: bicycling, compared to those who only have done bicycling as a child.

Of course, the nature of man as conscious being is practical. I guess the meaning of tricycling is
different in the same respect ;)

Understanding others's dreams is understanding their different world of significance, if you fail to
understand that how would you understand the dreams...

Funnily I don't recall dreams of cycling, maybe they will come if I let go of cycling... Happened
with snowboarding...

On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 21:47:02 GMT, "Claire Petersky" <[email protected]> wrote:

Wow! Thanks for the interpretation. I didn't expect that I would actually get such a good response!

>> The grass, strangely, was where I'd expect to see pavement against the curb; looking down and to
>> my right, I see grass against the left side of the curb, with the curb rising up from it; but
>> looking straight down, I was on pavement. I didn't see the transition.
>
>There is a transition coming up in your life that is a part of this journey. It isn't completely
>visible from where you are now -- if you look only narrowly, you appear to be as you always were --
>only a broader view makes it more obvious.

This is a common theme in dreams that I remember (I either rarely dream, or rarely remember them).
There's always something that doesn't add up, when I look at it, it's in the wrong place or changed
from before, but in my dream I'm usually not conscious of there being anything wrong with that.

I wonder what's coming up.

>> This all happened right around the corner, and in my dream I thought it was across the street
>> from one person that I dislike, but the location in my dream is actually across the street from a
>> _different_ person who I dislike; both live on that street, though.
>
>This is hard to interpret without knowing these people and their significance to you.

More detail:

The person who I thought of in my dream, Person A, was a childhood bully. He was sometimes my
friend, usually in manipulative way, but most of the time I hated him because he bullied me
in some way.

The person whose house matches the location and vision in my dream (Person B) was somebody with whom
I had much in common in (junior high? high school?); he too was a computer geek. However, we never
did get along well, and he really wasn't nice to anybody.

Here's an ASCII map. H is home. I departed from home and took the first right, then left, then left
again. A and B are the homes of the persons listed above. C is where the meeting was.

---------------------------
H | |
| B|
| ---|
| |
| |

>> What does all this mean? Does it mean that we need a new newsfroup called
>> rec.bicycles.dream-interpretation?
>
>and bicycle on alt.dreams. That made me realize that the meaning of a bicycle or of bicycling is
>going to be very different for those who are regularly engaged in the practice of bicycling,
>compared to those who only have done bicycling as a child.

That makes a lot of sense. That's why it's great to have somebody here who knows something about
BOTH bicycles and dreams. ;)
--
Rick "BTW, thanks!" Onanian

[email protected] wrote:

: Funnily I don't recall dreams of cycling, maybe they will come if I let go of cycling... Happened
: with snowboarding...

And ironically enough, tonight (the night after writing that) I saw not one but *three*
cycling-themed mini-dreams. I woke up early, was too tired to get up and slept some more... seems a
good recipe to get LOTS of dreams... maybe also because there's stuff going on in my life.

Well, I had skipped cycling for a few days...

Claire Petersky wrote:
> ... The folks over in alt.dreams were rather nasty, I thought, when I cross-posted something
> related to the dream symbology of bicycling. One suggested that I do a google search on trike and
> tricycle along with bike and bicycle on alt.dreams. That made me realize that the meaning of a
> bicycle or of bicycling is going to be very different for those who are regularly engaged in the
> practice of bicycling, compared to those who only have done bicycling as a child....

Claire,

Some of us ride tricycles as adults, you know. :) <http://www.ihpva.org/incoming/2002/df1a.jpg>

And before anyone laughs, ask yourself this, does your bike have custom OEM Phil Wood hubs?
<http://www.ihpva.org/incoming/2002/df13.jpg>

Tom Sherman - Planet Earth

"Dan Birchall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (Zoot Katz) wrote:
> > Mon, 1 Dec 2003 11:59:10 +0800, <[email protected]>,
"kak61"
> > <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > >How do people add extra weight to their bicycles for training
anyway?

> > By filling the tubes with the bikes' retail price in quarters.
> >
> > That's why lighter bikes are better for training. They'll hold
more
> > quarters.
>
> I've got a Cannondale with those large-diameter tubes... should I
use
> (Susan B. Anthony / Sacagawea) dollar coins instead? ;)
>
> --
> Perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim. |
http://dan.birchalls.net/

Sac dollars are no heavier than quarters. You need Eisenhower dollars. If it's a really light bike,
you should use Kurgerands.