After some more riding, I have determined that adding weight to the
wheel of a 36 commuter creates a useful fly wheel effect. There is a
better way to do this then ankle weights, though less convenient for
experimentation
Stick on lead wheel weights, available here..
The amount of flywheel effect created by adding weight to a wheel is
determined by only 3 factors.
1 The amount of weight added.
2 The distance from the center of the wheel.
3 The velocity of the weight.
The last 2 factors are of greatest relevance, because inertial energy
increases with the square of velocity. Energy = mass x V 2
Eric should note that the ratio of weight added, to the original wheel
weight, is not a factor. A basic understanding of the physics involved
would show that a great deal more weight would need to be added to a
light trials wheel, then to a heavy 36 wheel, to achieve a comparable
flywheel effect. It is for this reason I expect all experiments adding
weight to <36 wheels to be
fruitless.
I plan to see if I can add these weights to the inside of the rim.
Because this location is a few inches further from the wheel center
then is achievable with ankle weights, I will need a bit less then 3
lbs. to achieve the same effect as 4 lbs in spoke wrapped ankle
weights.🙂
On my test rides, I noticed that I rode until I was tired on both the
light and heavy setups. They both felt the same to me, I have
determined that my testing cannot measure the difference in effort
needed between them. It was to small to be noticeable to me. Actually,
my ass gives out before my legs, unless I am riding muni.
+-------------------------------------------------------------------+
|Filename: WH-025.jpg |
|Download: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/25763 |
+-------------------------------------------------------------------+
--
feel the light
------------------------------------------------------------------------
feel the light's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14551
View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/68512
Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
----------------------------------------------------------
** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
----------------------------------------------------------
http://www.usenet.com