whoawhoa said:It seems to me (and I backed it up with some sketchy math) that v02max workout, such as a 6x5 with 2.5 min. ri, would have an average/normalized power fairly close to ft over about 40 minutes.
Good thoughts, there. I have a little spreadsheet which computes my NP, AP, IF and TSS for any number of work and rest periods, which I use to set my target power level during my interval workouts. Bascially, I experiment with different target powers, work durations and rest durations (assuming ~50%FT during the rests), to match the NP for the entire set (minus the last rest period) to my Mean Max NP curve from the Cycling Peaks software. For example, I may start by entering VO2 intervals at 115%FT at a 5:2.5 work ratio into the spreadsheet and increase the number of reps by one until I've broken out of my NP curve. If that happens after 3-4 intervals, and results in a TSS lower than I'm interested in (for this point in my training cycle), then I may go back and try a 112%FT interval or a 3 min rest duration and see if I can get 5-6 intervals before hitting the curve. As Andy touched on, I've grown pretty confident that I can physically accomplish any workout that falls under my NP curve (and even break it by a small amount on most days), so this gives me a little willpower to do for those last couple intervals even though I'm tired.
whoawhoa said:It seems to me that a short bit of z4 work after the z5 intervals might make the workout enough to increase ft similar to a 2x20 or other pure z4 workout. Thoughts?
Well, z5 work already *does* produce many of the same effects as z4 work, so there should be no surprise if FT improves even without the additional z4 minutes. One possible difference between a combo-z5/z4 workout and a pure z4 workout would be the degree of fast-twitch recruitment. Andy has written that threshold power (not sure if this is LT or FT, or if it even makes a difference) marks a threshold for whether slow- or fast-twitch fibers are predominately in play. Z5 work, being well above FT, would primarily tax your fast-twitch muscles, even though the overall NP (including the recovery periods) falls into z4. A pure z4 workout would involve more of a blend of slow- and fast-twitch use.
Okay, I've probably demonstrated that I am indeed too focused on microstructure here, but hey, this is fascinating stuff! :p Andy, what's the latest on TSTWKT? I want to be overly focused on macrostructure, too. 😄