Adjustable stem issue

Macgiolla

Sep 22, 2014
Hi folks,

I recently purchased an adjustable stem for a Carrera Hybrid, found out (too late) that the handlebars unexpectedly widen at the middle and the part that where it connects to the handlebars is too narrow and won't fit. I've had a look at a few handlebars and the handlebars do seem thicker than normal. Has anyone any advice as I've a feeling that it will be tricky to get a part that fits....Thanks

Rob

I suspect your issue is a stem for older but still common clamp size 26.0mm standard vs. the 31.8mm standard. Thats a common road standard and there may indeed be even others. Hyrbrids I'm not sure about

Is the bar too wide to fit in the stem, or is the stem too wide to hold the bar? Narrow bar in wide stem, you can buy shims to make it fit. No problem. Wide bar in narrow stem, you have to replace something. Either bar or stem. Stem is probably easier.

Many thanks for the replies guys, got onto Rutland and they said send it back and we'll exchange it for you, so have to wait and see. Not sure do many people favour slightly higher handlebars than saddles? Many bikes seem to be set up the other way which is always uncomfortable for me. It was the clamp that was too small.

The height and reach relationship between the saddle and handlebars is a very personal one and there are several important questions that need to be answered in coming up with a position on the bike that works well for YOU.

Your position has to be somewhat comfortable to you or at least close enough to comfortable that you can condition yourself and train your muscles and skeleton to be comfortable.

A racer will train himself to be low and aerodynamic for efficiency and power. A commuter or bike path pleasure rider might be more upright for good vision, comfort and repeated stopping/starting. A recreational or sport rider might be somewhere in between the two.

Riders that spend many hours in the saddle such as tourists or club riders, for example, want to distribute more of the body weight on the hands, arms and shoulders to relieve some percentage of weight and pressure on the saddle. What percentage weight you carry on the saddle, the pedals and the handlebars is whatever works best for the style of riding you do, how well your body conforms to a particular position and the goals you have set for yourself.