Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Adjusting the Campy Headclip-style headset?

Started by Tom Nakashima · · Last activity · 9 posts · 1,042 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
7 January 2008
Last activity
10 January 2008
Original author
Tom Nakashima
Posts
9
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,042
Views / 30 days
12

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–9 of 9
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Not sure if I'm adjusting the Campagnolo headclip-style headset
    correct. This is the headset which has a headclip for the handlebar stem. I
    carefully cleaned and regreased the race and 5/32" balls, all 52 of them.
    Once the adjustments for bearing play was made, I left the headclip lose to
    insert the handlebar stem. When the stem and handlebar was aligned, I
    tightened up on the headclip. I then proceed to tighten up on the headset
    locknut. I believe this is correct?
    -tom

  2. Tom Nakashima said:

    Not sure if I'm adjusting the Campagnolo headclip-style headset
    correct. This is the headset which has a headclip for the handlebar stem. I
    carefully cleaned and regreased the race and 5/32" balls, all 52 of them.
    Once the adjustments for bearing play was made, I left the headclip lose to
    insert the handlebar stem. When the stem and handlebar was aligned, I
    tightened up on the headclip. I then proceed to tighten up on the headset
    locknut. I believe this is correct?
    -tom

    If you're talking about the old headclip headset-which I don't think
    you are because in my experience Campy didn't make a head clip type
    headset-the procedure is to tighten the screwed race, install the
    stem, tighten the locknut and then tighten the stem. If, however, you
    have an Ahead type headset I believe the Park Tool site has complete
    instructions with pictures.
    Phil Brown

  3. Tom Nakashima said:

    Not sure if I'm adjusting the Campagnolo headclip-style headset
    correct. This is the headset which has a headclip for the handlebar stem. I
    carefully cleaned and regreased the race and 5/32" balls, all 52 of them.
    Once the adjustments for bearing play was made, I left the headclip lose to
    insert the handlebar stem. When the stem and handlebar was aligned, I
    tightened up on the headclip. I then proceed to tighten up on the headset
    locknut. I believe this is correct?
    -tom

    If you're talking about the old headclip headset-which I don't think
    you are because in my experience Campy didn't make a head clip type
    headset-the procedure is to install the screwed race, install the
    stem, tighten the locknut and then tighten the stem. If, however, you
    have an Ahead type headset I believe the Park Tool site has complete
    instructions with pictures.
    Phil Brown

  4. Sorry. forget the first post, read the second. No screwed race on a
    headclip. Darn this keyboard.
    Phil Brown

  5. "philcycles" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Tom Nakashima said:

    Not sure if I'm adjusting the Campagnolo headclip-style headset
    correct. This is the headset which has a headclip for the handlebar stem.
    I
    carefully cleaned and regreased the race and 5/32" balls, all 52 of them.
    Once the adjustments for bearing play was made, I left the headclip lose
    to
    insert the handlebar stem. When the stem and handlebar was aligned, I
    tightened up on the headclip. I then proceed to tighten up on the headset
    locknut. I believe this is correct?
    -tom

    If you're talking about the old headclip headset-which I don't think
    you are because in my experience Campy didn't make a head clip type
    headset-the procedure is to tighten the screwed race, install the
    stem, tighten the locknut and then tighten the stem. If, however, you
    have an Ahead type headset I believe the Park Tool site has complete
    instructions with pictures.
    Phil Brown

    Yes Phil,
    indeed it is the older headclip-headset off a 1968 Cinelli SC Pista.
    I wasn't sure if the headclip is part of Campagnolo or not.
    I'm having trouble with your explanation procedures;
    When do you tighten the headclip?
    The only possibility is after the adjustment is made for bearing play,
    and the handlebar stem is inserted plus aligned.
    -tom

  6. Tom Nakashima said:

    Yes Phil,
    indeed it is the older headclip-headset off a 1968 Cinelli SC Pista.
    I wasn't sure if the headclip is part of Campagnolo or not.
    I'm having trouble with your explanation procedures;
    When do you tighten the headclip?
    The only possibility is after the adjustment is made for bearing play,
    and the handlebar stem is inserted plus aligned.
    -tom

    I have NEVER seen a Campy head clip HS, especially not on a Cinelli
    and I've been cycling for 50 years and building frames for 35. I've
    made headclip type forks and I've never seen a Campy headclip.That
    said you tighen the lock nut to eliminate play and then tighten the
    stem.
    Phil Brown

  7. "philcycles" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Tom Nakashima said:

    Yes Phil,
    indeed it is the older headclip-headset off a 1968 Cinelli SC Pista.
    I wasn't sure if the headclip is part of Campagnolo or not.
    I'm having trouble with your explanation procedures;
    When do you tighten the headclip?
    The only possibility is after the adjustment is made for bearing play,
    and the handlebar stem is inserted plus aligned.
    -tom

    I have NEVER seen a Campy head clip HS, especially not on a Cinelli
    and I've been cycling for 50 years and building frames for 35. I've
    made headclip type forks and I've never seen a Campy headclip.That
    said you tighen the lock nut to eliminate play and then tighten the
    stem.
    Phil Brown

    I'll take a picture of it Phil,
    This is the first time I've seen one too. The fork also has a slit-saw cut
    on the fork-threads. I've been riding and wrenching road bikes for 40+
    years. But you're still wrong when adjusting a headset with a headclip.
    The headclip is before the locknut. You still never mentioned about
    tightening the headclip?

    This is my procedure for adjusting the headset with a headclip just
    from experience of having a good mechanical feel and playing around with the
    headset:
    1. Adjust the headset-capnut for bearing play.
    2. Insert the handlebar stem with handlebar.
    3. Align and tighten the stem.
    4. Check the bearing play again with handlebar inserted.
    5. Align and tighten up the HEADCLIP
    6. Gingerly tighten the locknut against the HEADCLIP & washer.
    7. Install front wheel and check bearing play again.
    8. Take the bike for a test ride.
    -Tom

  8. Tom Nakashima said:

    This is my procedure for adjusting the headset with a headclip just
    from experience of having a good mechanical feel and playing around with the
    headset:
    1. Adjust the headset-capnut for bearing play.
    2. Insert the handlebar stem with handlebar.
    3. Align and tighten the stem.
    4. Check the bearing play again with handlebar inserted.
    5. Align and tighten up the HEADCLIP
    6. Gingerly tighten the locknut against the HEADCLIP & washer.
    7. Install front wheel and check bearing play again.
    8. Take the bike for a test ride.
    -Tom

    Tom, I think that we have a terminolgy problem. A headclip type
    headset uses an Aheadset type handlebar stem that's installed on the
    steerer under the locknut (that means that it can't be installed after
    the locknut), clamps to it and is clamped by the headset locknut. It
    differes from the Aheadset HS in that the locknut clamps it as opposed
    to the Aheadset where the stem clamps it. And again, the headclip is
    an very old fashioned HS common pre WW2 bikes. I've worked on BSAs
    with headclips as well as a Drysdale track bike.
    Phil Brown

  9. "philcycles" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Tom Nakashima said:

    This is my procedure for adjusting the headset with a headclip just
    from experience of having a good mechanical feel and playing around with
    the
    headset:
    1. Adjust the headset-capnut for bearing play.
    2. Insert the handlebar stem with handlebar.
    3. Align and tighten the stem.
    4. Check the bearing play again with handlebar inserted.
    5. Align and tighten up the HEADCLIP
    6. Gingerly tighten the locknut against the HEADCLIP & washer.
    7. Install front wheel and check bearing play again.
    8. Take the bike for a test ride.
    -Tom

    Tom, I think that we have a terminolgy problem. A headclip type
    headset uses an Aheadset type handlebar stem that's installed on the
    steerer under the locknut (that means that it can't be installed after
    the locknut), clamps to it and is clamped by the headset locknut. It
    differes from the Aheadset HS in that the locknut clamps it as opposed
    to the Aheadset where the stem clamps it. And again, the headclip is
    an very old fashioned HS common pre WW2 bikes. I've worked on BSAs
    with headclips as well as a Drysdale track bike.
    Phil Brown

    After thinking more about this, you're right about the terminology
    difference.
    The one I'm describing, is installed right after the adjusting
    headset-capnut for bearing play. The headclip also has a clamp which
    tightens to secure the handlebar stem, although the stem itself has it's own
    secure bolt. As I indicated, the fork threads are also slit-cut to allow
    for the headclip to be tighten. I've never seen anything like this before.
    I do believe it is indeed Campagnolo.
    I'll take a picture of it, so stand by, I would love to hear your comments
    on the headclip.
    thanks,
    -tom

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.