UK and Europe · Public discussion

advice for hill climbing time trial

Started by Adam Lea · · Last activity · 30 posts · 864 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
12 August 2007
Last activity
15 August 2007
Original author
Adam Lea
Posts
30
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
864
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 30
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I am participating in a hill climb time trial this coming Saturday which is
    1.6 miles long and climbs just over 100 meters in that distance. Normally I
    climb hills in the saddle as I find this most efficient and I have not yet
    felt the need to stand on the pedals. This is fine for my normal utility
    rides but what is best for this short intense climb? Would it be best to do
    the whole climb out of the saddle or stay seated and spin (like I usually
    do)?

    This is where it will be taking place:

    http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=528755&y=128535&z=4&sv=528755,128535&st=4&ar=Y&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf

  2. Adam Lea said:

    I am participating in a hill climb time trial this coming Saturday which is
    1.6 miles long and climbs just over 100 meters in that distance.

    Have you got that right? That's an average gradient of about 1 in 25
    which is a pretty easy hill.

    Tony

  3. "Tony Raven" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Adam Lea said:

    I am participating in a hill climb time trial this coming Saturday which
    is 1.6 miles long and climbs just over 100 meters in that distance.

    Have you got that right? That's an average gradient of about 1 in 25
    which is a pretty easy hill.

    Tony

    Well this is the South East 🙂

    The course is 1.6 miles long but there is a few hundred yards of flat bit at
    the end so the actual climb is over a little under 1.5 miles. Checking the
    map, the base is a 57m and the top is at 157m.

    Adam

  4. Adam Lea said:


    "Tony Raven" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Adam Lea said:

    I am participating in a hill climb time trial this coming Saturday which
    is 1.6 miles long and climbs just over 100 meters in that distance.

    Have you got that right? That's an average gradient of about 1 in 25
    which is a pretty easy hill.

    Tony

    Well this is the South East 🙂

    The course is 1.6 miles long but there is a few hundred yards of flat bit at
    the end so the actual climb is over a little under 1.5 miles. Checking the
    map, the base is a 57m and the top is at 157m.

    Adam

    surface and such make bearing as to how hard the hill is or not

    roger

  5. Adam Lea said:

    I am participating in a hill climb time trial this coming Saturday which is
    1.6 miles long and climbs just over 100 meters in that distance. Normally I
    climb hills in the saddle as I find this most efficient and I have not yet
    felt the need to stand on the pedals. This is fine for my normal utility
    rides but what is best for this short intense climb? Would it be best to do
    the whole climb out of the saddle or stay seated and spin (like I usually
    do)?

    Are you new to this TT game?

    Most hill-climbs are done out of the saddle ina big-gear-mashing
    stylee.

    I'd suggest going out there and having a look-see and try the two
    different approaches beforehand. Looking at the profile it looks like
    one of those anoying hills (aren't they all :-) ) with a few false
    flats.
    --
    Phil Cook looking north over the park to the "Westminster Gasworks"

  6. Adam Lea said:

    I am participating in a hill climb time trial this coming Saturday
    which is 1.6 miles long and climbs just over 100 meters in that distance.
    Normally I climb hills in the saddle as I find this most efficient
    and I have not yet felt the need to stand on the pedals. This is fine
    for my normal utility rides but what is best for this short intense
    climb? Would it be best to do the whole climb out of the saddle or
    stay seated and spin (like I usually do)?

    For this distance it'd be fastest out of the saddle, big gear, as big as you
    can turn, and stomp it out.

    It will be painful ... 😉

    --
    Paul - [censored]

  7. Adam Lea said:

    I am participating in a hill climb time trial this coming Saturday which is
    1.6 miles long and climbs just over 100 meters in that distance. Normally I
    climb hills in the saddle as I find this most efficient and I have not yet
    felt the need to stand on the pedals. This is fine for my normal utility
    rides but what is best for this short intense climb? Would it be best to do
    the whole climb out of the saddle or stay seated and spin (like I usually
    do)?

    This is where it will be taking place:

    http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=528755&y=128535&z=4&sv=528755,128535&st=4&ar=Y&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf

    Stand up, Big Gear, Mash until onset of tunnel vision. Avoid the Full
    English breakfast beforehand.

    Chris

  8. Adam Lea said:

    I am participating in a hill climb time trial this coming Saturday which is
    1.6 miles long and climbs just over 100 meters in that distance. Normally I
    climb hills in the saddle as I find this most efficient and I have not yet
    felt the need to stand on the pedals. This is fine for my normal utility
    rides but what is best for this short intense climb? Would it be best to do
    the whole climb out of the saddle or stay seated and spin (like I usually
    do)?

    I'd do a bit of empirical testing. You will need a suitable hill and
    opportunities to tackle it in a similar condition (i.e., not straight
    after you've wasted yourself doing it the first time).

    I guess the answer of exactly how to tackle it will vary between
    different people. It may also be the case that you could be best off
    starting spinning and then move to a Big Finish some way up: if you
    don't have the legs to sprint it all the way then it'll be counter
    productive trying, but it's unlikely you'll be best off doing it
    aerobically from start to finish.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  9. Chris Smith said:

    Stand up, Big Gear, Mash until onset of tunnel vision. Avoid the Full
    English breakfast beforehand.

    Unless you want a FEB straight afterwards as well, but second hand... ;-/

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  10. Roger Merriman

    Quoted message said:

    surface and such make bearing as to how hard the hill is or not

    Anyone else find Roger's posts easier to understand when said in a Yoda
    voice? 😉

    --
    Mark T

  11. On 13 Aug 2007 11:27:50 GMT, Mark T
    <pleasegivegenerously@warmail*turn_up_the_heat_to_reply*.com.invalid>

    Quoted message said:

    Roger Merriman

    Quoted message said:

    surface and such make bearing as to how hard the hill is or not

    Anyone else find Roger's posts easier to understand when said in a Yoda
    voice? 😉

    Heh. But no, it still makes no sense.

    --
    Ace in Alsace - brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom

  12. On 13 Aug 2007 11:27:50 GMT
    Mark T
    <pleasegivegenerously@warmail*turn_up_the_heat_to_reply*.com.invalid>

    Quoted message said:

    Roger Merriman

    Quoted message said:

    surface and such make bearing as to how hard the hill is or not

    Anyone else find Roger's posts easier to understand when said in a
    Yoda voice? 😉

    Dunno. He's the only person on ukrc I've killfiled for his English
    (as opposed to bad behaviour or stupidity like matt b or spindrift).

    --
    not me guv

  13. Peter Clinch said:
    Adam Lea said:

    I am participating in a hill climb time trial this coming Saturday which is
    1.6 miles long and climbs just over 100 meters in that distance. Normally I
    climb hills in the saddle as I find this most efficient and I have not yet
    felt the need to stand on the pedals. This is fine for my normal utility
    rides but what is best for this short intense climb? Would it be best to do
    the whole climb out of the saddle or stay seated and spin (like I usually
    do)?

    I'd do a bit of empirical testing. You will need a suitable hill and
    opportunities to tackle it in a similar condition (i.e., not straight
    after you've wasted yourself doing it the first time).

    I guess the answer of exactly how to tackle it will vary between
    different people. It may also be the case that you could be best off
    starting spinning and then move to a Big Finish some way up: if you
    don't have the legs to sprint it all the way then it'll be counter
    productive trying, but it's unlikely you'll be best off doing it
    aerobically from start to finish.

    Pete.

    quite, i find the hill nr my folks place that in places gets into the
    mid 30% mark is in many ways easyer than some of the hills on the club
    run which while, no where near as savage are done faster.

    roger
    --
    www.rogermerriman.com

  14. Nick Kew said:

    On 13 Aug 2007 11:27:50 GMT
    Mark T
    <pleasegivegenerously@warmail*turn_up_the_heat_to_reply*.com.invalid>

    Quoted message said:

    Roger Merriman

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    surface and such make bearing as to how hard the hill is or not

    Quoted message said:

    Anyone else find Roger's posts easier to understand when said in a
    Yoda voice? 😉

    Dunno. He's the only person on ukrc I've killfiled for his English
    (as opposed to bad behaviour or stupidity like matt b or spindrift).

    I thought, "that's a bit harsh" - then I read the next post
    from the poster in question. It was longer, maybe 4 lines,
    quite hard work.

    Reminded of the high volume spam bot that has appeared recently
    in some groups that I read:-)

    "Do not hate bimonthly while you're resembling inside a subsequent
    shape. Nowadays, it picks a label too passing beneath her asian
    window. It's very final, I'll indicate thoughtfully or Bonita will
    criticize the flashs."

    Quite clever, nonsense sentences.

  15. Adam Lea said:

    I am participating in a hill climb time trial this coming Saturday which is
    1.6 miles long and climbs just over 100 meters in that distance.

    On a 'climb' (???) like that a 57 x 14 fixed might be best ;-)

    Remember to reduce the rolling weight by removing any dustcaps.

    John B

  16. "Phil Cook" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Adam Lea said:

    I am participating in a hill climb time trial this coming Saturday which
    is
    1.6 miles long and climbs just over 100 meters in that distance. Normally
    I
    climb hills in the saddle as I find this most efficient and I have not yet
    felt the need to stand on the pedals. This is fine for my normal utility
    rides but what is best for this short intense climb? Would it be best to
    do
    the whole climb out of the saddle or stay seated and spin (like I usually
    do)?

    Are you new to this TT game?

    Yes.

    Quoted message said:


    Most hill-climbs are done out of the saddle ina big-gear-mashing
    stylee.

    I'd suggest going out there and having a look-see and try the two
    different approaches beforehand. Looking at the profile it looks like
    one of those anoying hills (aren't they all :-) ) with a few false
    flats.

    I could have a practice on Holmbury hill which is on my commute and similar
    length and gradient.

  17. "Peter Clinch" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Adam Lea said:

    I am participating in a hill climb time trial this coming Saturday which
    is 1.6 miles long and climbs just over 100 meters in that distance.
    Normally I climb hills in the saddle as I find this most efficient and I
    have not yet felt the need to stand on the pedals. This is fine for my
    normal utility rides but what is best for this short intense climb? Would
    it be best to do the whole climb out of the saddle or stay seated and
    spin (like I usually do)?

    I'd do a bit of empirical testing. You will need a suitable hill and
    opportunities to tackle it in a similar condition (i.e., not straight
    after you've wasted yourself doing it the first time).

    I guess the answer of exactly how to tackle it will vary between different
    people. It may also be the case that you could be best off starting
    spinning and then move to a Big Finish some way up: if you don't have the
    legs to sprint it all the way then it'll be counter productive trying, but
    it's unlikely you'll be best off doing it aerobically from start to
    finish.

    On the way back from work today I had a go at sprinting up some of the
    smaller hills and it seemed the fastest way for least effort was to altenate
    getting in and out of the saddle. Getting out of the saddle allowed me a to
    get a good burst of power (and thus acceleration) but was tiring very
    quickly. Once up to speed I can get back in the saddle and spin for a while
    at a comfortable cadence. When I start to slow, out of the saddle and
    accelerate again. Not sure if this will work for longer hills though.

    Adam

  18. Quoted message said:

    On the way back from work today I had a go at sprinting up some of the
    smaller hills and it seemed the fastest way for least effort was to
    altenate getting in and out of the saddle. Getting out of the saddle
    allowed me a to get a good burst of power (and thus acceleration) but
    was tiring very quickly. Once up to speed I can get back in the saddle
    and spin for a while at a comfortable cadence. When I start to slow,
    out of the saddle and accelerate again. Not sure if this will work for
    longer hills though.

    Same reasoning as for intervals I suppose. Keep it up and you'll soon be
    sprinting All the way up 😉

    --
    Mark T

  19. "John B" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Adam Lea said:

    I am participating in a hill climb time trial this coming Saturday which
    is 1.6 miles long and climbs just over 100 meters in that distance.

    On a 'climb' (???) like that a 57 x 14 fixed might be best ;-)

    Remember to reduce the rolling weight by removing any dustcaps.

    John B

    Out of interest, what would you class as a testing climb?

    The hardest I've done is the Snake Pass from the Glossop end with a stonking
    headwind.

    Adam

  20. "Adam Lea" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Out of interest, what would you class as a testing climb?

    The hardest I've done is the Snake Pass from the Glossop end with a
    stonking headwind.

    Length makes a huge difference IMO. Those nice alpine passes are quite well
    graded, and not nearly as steep as some of the stuff here, but they go on
    forever!

    Anything with an arrow on is "testing" IMO. Doesn't make us any faster up
    the others, but I felt there ought to be a cutoff somewhere :-)

    cheers,
    clive

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.