Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Advice for Uneven Length Legs - Shoes

Started by gromitsabra · · Last activity · 8 posts · 5,210 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
8 March 2004
Last activity
10 March 2004
Original author
gromitsabra
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
5,210
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Does any one no what one can do if one of you legs is longer than the other. I've ridden for years this way and as a result my one leg is much stronger than the other. I just think if I was able to use both evenly i would be that much better. Is it a question of using 2 different crank sizes. Or could I just extend the cleat on my one foot somehow? Anhy help would be appreciated.

  2. I recently discovered my legs were different too. A bike shop may be able to fit you with some shims. I am using some homemade shims from some plastic placed between the cleat and shoe with longer cleat bolts. Some use leather. I have heard that shims solve the problem, but I have also heard that offset chainrings further improve the pedal stroke. I personally feel a lot better on the bike with shimming.

  3. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by gromitsabra
    Does any one no what one can do if one of you legs is longer than the other. I've ridden for years this way and as a result my one leg is much stronger than the other. I just think if I was able to use both evenly i would be that much better. Is it a question of using 2 different crank sizes. Or could I just extend the cleat on my one foot somehow? Anhy help would be appreciated.

    You could try some shims from the bike shop. There's also a product called the LeWedge manufactured by LeMond. Unless you have a severe discrepancy, shims aren't going to do anything for you. Some say, they even hinder your natural motion. Most people have a discrepancy of 2mm or less and don't even know it.

  4. Put a second or thicker insole in the shoe with the shorter leg to even things out.

    Tim

  5. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by BaCardi
    You could try some shims from the bike shop. There's also a product called the LeWedge manufactured by LeMond. Unless you have a severe discrepancy, shims aren't going to do anything for you. Some say, they even hinder your natural motion. Most people have a discrepancy of 2mm or less and don't even know it.

    I've used LeWedge/Big Meats to try shimming some of the difference in my shin length (about 1/4"😉. It didn't feel right. I only have one skinny little extra shim on that side now, call it 1/16". Unless it really bugs you, don't mess with it. You might be weaker in the short leg for some other reason. Definitely don't try a different crank arm length on one side!

  6. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by gromitsabra
    Does any one no what one can do if one of you legs is longer than the other. I've ridden for years this way and as a result my one leg is much stronger than the other. I just think if I was able to use both evenly i would be that much better. Is it a question of using 2 different crank sizes. Or could I just extend the cleat on my one foot somehow? Anhy help would be appreciated.

    Because of an injury one of my legs is shorter by about 3/8". It makes a difference which limb is shorter. If it is all from your knee down then you want to shim your shoe. If it is mostly from the knee up then you want to change your cleat/saddle location to move forward or aft.

    I use Speedplay pedals and they offer shims which fit very nicely under the cleats in 1/8" increments. Because your leg will have adapted to being shorter, you don't shim out all of the discrepancy, only half of it. All of my difference is in the lower leg so mine was easy.

    If the difference is in your upper leg from hip to knee you need to adjust your saddle and cleat position to accomadate it. Proper fit is to have a plumb line dropped from the front of your knee to be at the pedal axle when your crank is forward in the 9 o'clock position. If one limb is longer than the other then both sides will not be even. To fix this first split the difference by adjusting your saddle for/aft so that the plumb line test puts the shorter leg the same distance behind the pedal axle as the longer leg is forward of the axle. Once you have that then you just adjust the cleat positions to finalize it. On the shorter leg move the cleat forward 1/4 of the total hip to knee discrepancy. On the longer leg move the cleat back 1/4 of the total discrepancy.

    If your difference is in both limbs (upper/lower) then you do both. Once you have done this your legs will have roughly the same mechanics in pedal strokes.

    David

  7. Have you tried orthotics? A good podiatrist should be able to help you. It may help alleviate some of the unusual gait that is inhibiting your natural motion due to clipless pedals.

  8. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by BaCardi
    Have you tried orthotics? A good podiatrist should be able to help you. It may help alleviate some of the unusual gait that is inhibiting your natural motion due to clipless pedals.

    I second this suggestion. My husband has the same problem and only last year had an orthotic made to insert in his riding shoes and has never been happier, more comfortable or more powerful on the bike - and this is in 20+ years of riding! He only wishes he had seen an orthopedic doctor before!

    Good luck.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.