General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Advice on hiking trousers

Started by kjp · · Last activity · 40 posts · 904 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
10 October 2005
Last activity
31 October 2005
Original author
kjp
Posts
40
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
904
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 40
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi,

    1st time poster, pretty much new walker as well, hiking Kilimanjaro in
    new year so startingto do some training walks. I need to buy some
    trousers in which I can do walks. I like the ones that also zip off to
    form shorts. I also would like them to be water proof. Can you get zip
    offs in a material like gortex ? What would you advise I purchase ?

    Thanks in advance

  2. kjp said:

    Hi,

    1st time poster, pretty much new walker as well, hiking Kilimanjaro in
    new year so startingto do some training walks. I need to buy some
    trousers in which I can do walks. I like the ones that also zip off to
    form shorts. I also would like them to be water proof. Can you get zip
    offs in a material like gortex ? What would you advise I purchase ?

    Thanks in advance

    I have some excellent Viento Paramo zip offs - they are not cheap,
    though.

    http://www.srcunningham.co.uk/Paramo/trousers05.htm

  3. Bertie Wiggins said:
    kjp said:

    Hi,

    1st time poster, pretty much new walker as well, hiking Kilimanjaro in
    new year so startingto do some training walks. I need to buy some
    trousers in which I can do walks. I like the ones that also zip off to
    form shorts. I also would like them to be water proof. Can you get zip
    offs in a material like gortex ? What would you advise I purchase ?

    Thanks in advance

    I have some excellent Viento Paramo zip offs - they are not cheap,
    though.

    http://www.srcunningham.co.uk/Paramo/trousers05.htm

    You'd need to try them on, too - not everyone finds them as
    comfortable as the Paramo Cascadas (not zip offs).

    Wet fishes,
    --
    ,,
    (**)PeeWiglet~~
    / \ / \ pee AT [guessthisbit].co.uk

    "Is our children learning?"
    g.w.AT [guessthisbit].com

  4. kjp said:

    Hi,

    1st time poster, pretty much new walker as well, hiking Kilimanjaro in
    new year so startingto do some training walks. I need to buy some
    trousers in which I can do walks. I like the ones that also zip off to
    form shorts. I also would like them to be water proof. Can you get zip
    offs in a material like gortex ? What would you advise I purchase ?

    Thanks in advance


    In general, you'll find waterproof trousers a bit too warm (esp at lower
    levels.) You could try something like Montane Terra's, which are
    available in a zip-off version. These are pretty water-resistant and
    will put up with a shower or two. Then you'd have to buy a pair of
    Goretex (Paclite?) overtrousers for the very worst weather. I reckon
    only about 5% - 10% of my walks result in the need for overtrousers, and
    I'm not exactly a fair-weather walker.

    druidh

  5. Bertie Wiggins said:
    kjp said:

    Hi,

    1st time poster, pretty much new walker as well, hiking Kilimanjaro in
    new year so startingto do some training walks. I need to buy some
    trousers in which I can do walks. I like the ones that also zip off to
    form shorts. I also would like them to be water proof. Can you get zip
    offs in a material like gortex ?

    No reason why not, but I don't recall seeing any, not that I've looked
    too closely.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    What would you advise I purchase ?

    It's easy to make waterproofs, the key is how breathable they are ie
    the ability to expel moisture to keep you dry and at a stable
    temperature, rather than too wet which makes you cold when you stop.

    Paramo is more breathable than Gore-Tex, but the degree depends upon
    temperature & humidity gradients. There's been loads of previous
    discussion - search
    <URL:http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk.rec.walking?hl=en> and
    <URL:http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/forum.asp?sp=590148384674536955536&v=7>

    Paramo are replacement trousers, not overtrousers and can be worn all
    the time.

    Loads of user reviews on OutdoorsMagic -
    <URL:http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/review/reviewcategory.asp?RGN=3&RCN=69&ob=p.noreviews&oborder=desc&SP=590148384674536955536&V=3>
    <URL:http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/review/reviewcategory.asp?RGN=3&RCN=94&ob=p.noreviews&oborder=desc&SP=590148384674536955536&V=3>

    Quoted message said:

    I have some excellent Viento Paramo zip offs - they are not cheap,
    though.

    Same here. £80 in the Paramo Event sale ;-) Tried them in warm dry
    weather and in cold humid weather and I can't break them :-) and I
    walk warm.

    Quoted message said:

    http://www.srcunningham.co.uk/Paramo/trousers05.htm

    Not working, try
    <URL:http://www.paramo.co.uk/UK/acatalog/MensVientoZip-offs-16-142.html#>.
    The Paramo stores appear to be having a sale at the moment so it's
    worth Kevin shopping around.

    Daytona

  6. Peewiglet said:

    You'd need to try them on, too - not everyone finds them as
    comfortable as the Paramo Cascadas (not zip offs).

    Agreed, also the waist measurements given on the website are weird as
    the elasticated waistband gives a big size range. The small Vientos
    I've got go from 28 to 35 inches (website says 30).

    Daytona

  7. kjp said:

    1st time poster, pretty much new walker as well, hiking Kilimanjaro in
    new year so startingto do some training walks. I need to buy some
    trousers in which I can do walks.

    You may well have something fine for the job already... I usually walk
    in Ronhill Tracksters, running bottoms not a million miles different
    from plain track suit bottoms. They're light, quick drying and offer
    excellent freedom of movement, and they're not very expensive.

    Quoted message said:

    I like the ones that also zip off to
    form shorts.

    Nothing wrong with these in principal, but they'll usually weigh more
    than a pair of Tracksters and a separate pair of running shorts.

    Most "walking trousers" are supplied with a plague of pockets which add
    to the weight and cost and mean that the area around your hips takes
    much longer to dry out if they get wet. If you put stuff in the pockets
    it just makes walking less comfortable than if you use a chest pocket.

    Quoted message said:

    I also would like them to be water proof. Can you get zip
    offs in a material like gortex ?

    Goretex isn't very comfortable in itself, it's the sort of thing that's
    good if it's actually raining but for the most part it's more
    comfortable not wearing it once it's stopped raining. So since Goretex
    shorts wouldn't be ready sellers nobody's seen fit to make zip offs.
    AFAICT practically all Goretex trousers are built as overtrousers to
    pull over what else you're wearing when rain starts. Exceptions tend to
    be at the extreme end where you know you want serious protection all day
    and wouldn't think of taking them off at all, never mind walking around
    in shorts!

    For an all-in-one comfortable waterproof solution the Paramo stuff
    people have suggested is worth a look, but personally I prefer lighter,
    cooler and stretchy stuff that doesn't rustle when I walk. Mileage
    varies...

    Good but non-waterproof trousers should dry out very fast, so being
    waterproof is less of an advantage than many might think unless it's
    continuous stair-rods. I use my overtrousers less than half a dozen
    times a year, typically.

    Quoted message said:

    What would you advise I purchase ?

    As above, personally I prefer running gear because it majors on
    comfortable freedom of movement. The things "walking" trousers give you
    is extra windproofing which might be worth it (people feel cold
    differently, I like a windbreaker on top but my legs are much less
    fussed) and usually loads of pockets, which are frankly a negative
    feature for the actual walking bit as far as I'm concerned. Many
    walkers are rather self conscious about close fitting stretchy legwear,
    though it works very well, and accordingly many/most walking trousers
    are a baggy fit to allow freedom of movement, but that catches wind and
    mud much more and means more weight from more material. The baggy stuff
    tends to be in non-stretch material, closer fits are possible with
    stretchy stuff and you don't have to come sown to skin-tight stuff like
    Tracksters. Material like Schoeller Dryskin is tough, stretchy and
    ideal for heavier gauge walking kit.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  8. "> 1st time poster, pretty much new walker as well, hiking Kilimanjaro in

    Quoted message said:

    new year so startingto do some training walks. I need to buy some
    trousers in which I can do walks. I like the ones that also zip off to
    form shorts. I also would like them to be water proof. Can you get zip
    offs in a material like gortex ? What would you advise I purchase ?

    If you go the zip-off legs route for trousers, I would try and get a pair
    that also have zips up the side so they can be removed without having to
    take of the boots.

    I bought a pair from Liydl some time ago, and they were great. That is
    until a couple of weeks ago when I tried ironing on a purpose-designed
    patch, ended up with a burn hole ten times the size of the hole being
    repaired!

    They went in the bin ...... but must try and find another pair like them.

    --
    sandy saunders @ www.thewalkzone.co.uk
    email: saunders.sandy at ntlworld.com

    'Mountains or Mole Hills ... summiting still
    brings the same excitement'

  9. "sandy saunders" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "> 1st time poster, pretty much new walker as well, hiking Kilimanjaro in

    Quoted message said:

    new year so startingto do some training walks. I need to buy some
    trousers in which I can do walks. I like the ones that also zip off to
    form shorts. I also would like them to be water proof. Can you get zip
    offs in a material like gortex ? What would you advise I purchase ?

    If you go the zip-off legs route for trousers, I would try and get a pair
    that also have zips up the side so they can be removed without having to
    take of the boots.

    I bought a pair from Liydl some time ago, and they were great. That is
    until a couple of weeks ago when I tried ironing on a purpose-designed
    patch, ended up with a burn hole ten times the size of the hole being
    repaired!

    They went in the bin ...... but must try and find another pair like them.

    --
    sandy saunders @ www.thewalkzone.co.uk
    email: saunders.sandy at ntlworld.com

    'Mountains or Mole Hills ... summiting still
    brings the same excitement'


    The problem with zipped off trousers are they expose flesh which when
    walking in moorland areas may get the attention of any sheep ticks you brush
    past. We had a training course a couple of years back at work about
    zoonoses diseases and were advised to wear long trousers when walking in
    "sheep country" ie forested areas, heathland and heather moors. It scared
    the hell out of me and have never worn shorts in the hills again. See
    http://bubl.ac.uk/org/tacit/tac/tac06/dangersi.htm

    Regards
    Andrew

    --
    Nowt doon here but this stupid signature.

  10. AJD said:

    The problem with zipped off trousers are they expose flesh which when
    walking in moorland areas may get the attention of any sheep ticks you brush
    past. We had a training course a couple of years back at work about
    zoonoses diseases and were advised to wear long trousers when walking in
    "sheep country" ie forested areas, heathland and heather moors. It scared
    the hell out of me and have never worn shorts in the hills again. See
    http://bubl.ac.uk/org/tacit/tac/tac06/dangersi.htm

    In the Rhinogs a few weeks back I wore shorts and had to push my way
    through several larges areas of bracken. All that was going through
    my mind was "Tick Tick Tick" like a blood-sucking bomb about to
    explode.

    If anything did bite me, I still haven't found it.

    Judith

  11. Judith said:

    In the Rhinogs a few weeks back I wore shorts and had to push my way
    through several larges areas of bracken. All that was going through
    my mind was "Tick Tick Tick" like a blood-sucking bomb about to
    explode.

    If anything did bite me, I still haven't found it.

    You've checked your back, right?

    :-)

    Wet fishes,
    --
    ,,
    (**)PeeWiglet~~
    / \ / \ pee AT [guessthisbit].co.uk

    "Is our children learning?"
    g.w.AT [guessthisbit].com

  12. AJD said:

    The problem with zipped off trousers are they expose flesh which when
    walking in moorland areas may get the attention of any sheep ticks you brush
    past. We had a training course a couple of years back at work about
    zoonoses diseases and were advised to wear long trousers when walking in
    "sheep country" ie forested areas, heathland and heather moors. It scared
    the hell out of me and have never worn shorts in the hills again. See
    http://bubl.ac.uk/org/tacit/tac/tac06/dangersi.htm

    Regards
    Andrew

    A bit overkill methinks! I've been walking and cycling with shorts on
    for years, in sheep and deer areas in the Scottish Highlands and
    Lowlands. Ok - I've had the occasional tick, but it's hardly something
    to get so worked up about. I'm at more risk driving to and from these
    walks!!

    druidh

  13. "druidh" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    AJD said:

    The problem with zipped off trousers are they expose flesh which when
    walking in moorland areas may get the attention of any sheep ticks you


    brush

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    past. We had a training course a couple of years back at work about
    zoonoses diseases and were advised to wear long trousers when walking in
    "sheep country" ie forested areas, heathland and heather moors. It


    scared

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    the hell out of me and have never worn shorts in the hills again. See
    http://bubl.ac.uk/org/tacit/tac/tac06/dangersi.htm

    Regards
    Andrew

    A bit overkill methinks! I've been walking and cycling with shorts on
    for years, in sheep and deer areas in the Scottish Highlands and
    Lowlands. Ok - I've had the occasional tick, but it's hardly something
    to get so worked up about. I'm at more risk driving to and from these
    walks!!

    druidh

    Maybe it's only us DEFRA field staff then! But how many Rangers/Forestry
    Commission/Farmers do you see wearing shorts? Not many in Northumberland
    that's for sure. Probably because we've had the same training and our
    employers are scared we catch Lyme disease and consequently sue.

    Regards
    Andrew

  14. AJD said:

    "druidh" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    AJD said:

    The problem with zipped off trousers are they expose flesh which when
    walking in moorland areas may get the attention of any sheep ticks you

    brush

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    past. We had a training course a couple of years back at work about
    zoonoses diseases and were advised to wear long trousers when walking in
    "sheep country" ie forested areas, heathland and heather moors. It

    scared

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    the hell out of me and have never worn shorts in the hills again. See
    http://bubl.ac.uk/org/tacit/tac/tac06/dangersi.htm

    Regards
    Andrew

    A bit overkill methinks! I've been walking and cycling with shorts on
    for years, in sheep and deer areas in the Scottish Highlands and
    Lowlands. Ok - I've had the occasional tick, but it's hardly something
    to get so worked up about. I'm at more risk driving to and from these
    walks!!

    druidh

    Maybe it's only us DEFRA field staff then! But how many Rangers/Forestry
    Commission/Farmers do you see wearing shorts? Not many in Northumberland
    that's for sure. Probably because we've had the same training and our
    employers are scared we catch Lyme disease and consequently sue.

    Regards
    Andrew


    Like I said - you're much more likely to be killed in a car accident
    during work. And are you suggesting that your employer has given you
    instructions NOT to wear shorts?

    druidh

  15. On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 19:56:50 GMT, druidh <[email hidden]>

    dropped their trousers and said:
    AJD said:

    "druidh" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    AJD wrote:

    >The problem with zipped off trousers are they expose flesh which when
    >walking in moorland areas may get the attention of any sheep ticks you

    brush

    Quoted message said:

    >past. We had a training course a couple of years back at work about
    >zoonoses diseases and were advised to wear long trousers when walking in
    >"sheep country" ie forested areas, heathland and heather moors. It

    scared

    Quoted message said:

    >the hell out of me and have never worn shorts in the hills again. See
    >http://bubl.ac.uk/org/tacit/tac/tac06/dangersi.htm
    >
    >Regards
    >Andrew

    A bit overkill methinks! I've been walking and cycling with shorts on
    for years, in sheep and deer areas in the Scottish Highlands and
    Lowlands. Ok - I've had the occasional tick, but it's hardly something
    to get so worked up about. I'm at more risk driving to and from these
    walks!!

    druidh

    Maybe it's only us DEFRA field staff then! But how many Rangers/Forestry
    Commission/Farmers do you see wearing shorts? Not many in Northumberland
    that's for sure. Probably because we've had the same training and our
    employers are scared we catch Lyme disease and consequently sue.

    Regards
    Andrew


    Like I said - you're much more likely to be killed in a car accident
    during work. And are you suggesting that your employer has given you
    instructions NOT to wear shorts?

    druidh

    I suspect that they are advised to wear long trousers, covering their
    legs, prevent scratches, scrapes, and a bit of protection in a
    fall/stumble.

    Dewi
    (No cord around the neck please...)

  16. "Dewi" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 19:56:50 GMT, druidh <[email hidden]>

    dropped their trousers and said:
    AJD said:

    "druidh" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    >AJD wrote:
    >
    >>The problem with zipped off trousers are they expose flesh which when
    >>walking in moorland areas may get the attention of any sheep ticks you

    brush

    >>past. We had a training course a couple of years back at work about
    >>zoonoses diseases and were advised to wear long trousers when walking


    in

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >>"sheep country" ie forested areas, heathland and heather moors. It

    scared

    >>the hell out of me and have never worn shorts in the hills again. See
    >>http://bubl.ac.uk/org/tacit/tac/tac06/dangersi.htm
    >>
    >>Regards
    >>Andrew
    >
    >A bit overkill methinks! I've been walking and cycling with shorts on
    >for years, in sheep and deer areas in the Scottish Highlands and
    >Lowlands. Ok - I've had the occasional tick, but it's hardly something
    >to get so worked up about. I'm at more risk driving to and from these
    >walks!!
    >
    >
    >druidh

    Maybe it's only us DEFRA field staff then! But how many


    Rangers/Forestry

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Commission/Farmers do you see wearing shorts? Not many in


    Northumberland

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    that's for sure. Probably because we've had the same training and our
    employers are scared we catch Lyme disease and consequently sue.

    Regards
    Andrew


    Like I said - you're much more likely to be killed in a car accident
    during work. And are you suggesting that your employer has given you
    instructions NOT to wear shorts?

    druidh

    I suspect that they are advised to wear long trousers, covering their
    legs, prevent scratches, scrapes, and a bit of protection in a
    fall/stumble.

    Dewi
    (No cord around the neck please...)

    To be honest we're not allowed to handle livestock without wearing complete
    waterproofs and disinfecting using virkon S. If I'm walking in the hills
    and not handling animals I can wear what I want, even great big floppy clown
    shoes with matching thong if I felt the urge. It's just a matter of choice
    that I don't wear shorts when in Sheep country and that's my prerogative
    just as it's yours to wear shorts.

    I take your point about car accidents, I can be driving for 3 hours a day
    just to reach some places.

    Andrew

  17. On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 22:00:12 GMT, druidh <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    kjp said:


    In general, you'll find waterproof trousers a bit too warm (esp at lower
    levels.) You could try something like Montane Terra's, which are
    available in a zip-off version. These are pretty water-resistant and
    will put up with a shower or two. Then you'd have to buy a pair of
    Goretex (Paclite?) overtrousers for the very worst weather. I reckon
    only about 5% - 10% of my walks result in the need for overtrousers, and
    I'm not exactly a fair-weather walker.

    Another vote for Terra Zip-offs. Not waterproof, but they are
    shower-proof, and will dry within 5 minutes when it eventually stops
    raining! I have a pair of Lowe Alpine Rush waterproofs for if it gets
    really wet, but virtually never wear them unless the rain is heavy and
    sustained.

    S.

    --
    Oppose ID cards and the database state - sign the pledge at
    http://www.pledgebank.com/refuse

  18. Simon Caldwell said:

    On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 22:00:12 GMT, druidh <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    kjp said:


    In general, you'll find waterproof trousers a bit too warm (esp at lower
    levels.) You could try something like Montane Terra's, which are
    available in a zip-off version. These are pretty water-resistant and
    will put up with a shower or two. Then you'd have to buy a pair of
    Goretex (Paclite?) overtrousers for the very worst weather. I reckon
    only about 5% - 10% of my walks result in the need for overtrousers, and
    I'm not exactly a fair-weather walker.

    Another vote for Terra Zip-offs.

    And another. I love mine, and they're sometimes available half price
    online.

    Best wishes,
    --
    ,,
    (**)PeeWiglet~~
    / \ / \

  19. "kjp" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi,

    1st time poster, pretty much new walker as well, hiking Kilimanjaro in
    new year so startingto do some training walks. I need to buy some
    trousers in which I can do walks. I like the ones that also zip off to
    form shorts. I also would like them to be water proof. Can you get zip
    offs in a material like gortex ? What would you advise I purchase ?

    My only reservation about zip-offs(and this comes from owning some) is that
    they often restrict the width of the leg at the point the zip is sewn in and
    occasionally on steep ascents, I find the blood almost cut-off to my legs as
    they tighten. Other than that they seem to be ok, except for the faff of
    getting the leg bit on and off. I am waiting for the person that invents
    ones with zips down the length or strong velcro down the length so the
    trouser bit removes easily when you have boots on.

    I use Millets Peter Storm walking trousers mainly because they are
    comfortable and extremely quick-drying. I like the trousers that have
    something built-in so they have a bit more give, are more comfortbale and
    aren't so rustly as opposed to your bog-satndard polycotton or rohan
    trousers. I would imagine the Paramo ones are like the former (but probably
    cost a small fortune and claim to be able to withstand force 10 hurricanes
    on their own ;-)).

    As others have said, try lots on and get something you feel comfortable in.
    All the extras are just that.

    Rob

  20. Rob Devereux said:

    aren't so rustly as opposed to your bog-standard polycotton or rohan
    trousers.

    Hmmmm. I wear Rohan polycotton to trousers as my daily work wear. They
    don't rustle. I wear Rohan polyamide trousers for my daily slumming
    around wear, and they don't rustle either. I also have some of their
    old stretchy breeches and salopettes and... no rustling! So I'm not
    sure where your rustling nightmares come from.

    Having said that, though I own and use several pairs of Bags I wouldn't
    dream of using them for walking trousers. Alternatives give more
    freedom of movement and work better in the wet, as well as being
    cheaper. I have no need of 6 trouser pockets when I'm walking.

    Quoted message said:

    I would imagine the Paramo ones are like the former (but probably
    cost a small fortune and claim to be able to withstand force 10 hurricanes
    on their own ;-)).

    Though Paramo stuff is pretty much windproof, users seem to notice that
    they're noticeably cooler in a serious blow than a laminate of coating
    waterproof with a hydrostatic head. As is also the case with a pertex
    windtop compared to a Goretex jacket. Not necessarily enough to be a
    problem, but the force of 10 hurricanes would be a pretty sore test...

    Quoted message said:

    As others have said, try lots on and get something you feel comfortable in.
    All the extras are just that.

    They're often worse. Less really can be more, if you have half a dozen
    pockets then your trousers are heavier and will dry out slower, for no
    real tangible gain.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.