Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Advice on Roval Wheel spoke replacement

Started by Steven · · Last activity · 10 posts · 3,159 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
11 December 2004
Last activity
14 December 2004
Original author
Steven
Posts
10
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
3,159
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–10 of 10
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi,

    I have a great pair of Roval wheels but recently had a spoke break. I
    have not found a replacement on the web. Does anyone have a suggestion
    as to whether or not I can use any other kind of spoke? I'm not too
    worried about it being a blades spoke. Anything that will make the
    wheel whole again.

    Thanks,

    Steven

  2. Quoted message said:

    From: Steven

    Quoted message said:

    I have a great pair of Roval wheels but recently had a spoke break. I
    have not found a replacement on the web.

    Former Roval importer: wmlewisimports.com

  3. On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 20:58:22 -0500, Steven <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Hi,

    I have a great pair of Roval wheels but recently had a spoke break. I
    have not found a replacement on the web. Does anyone have a suggestion
    as to whether or not I can use any other kind of spoke? I'm not too
    worried about it being a blades spoke. Anything that will make the
    wheel whole again.

    Thanks,

    Steven

    Interesting. Front or rear wheel? Left or right side? Where did it
    break? Head or threads or somewhere else? How many miles has the wheel
    gone?

    I've used a technique that *might* make a spoke fit in a Roval hub: I
    flattened the head of a straight pull spoke in a smooth jawed vise.
    (It's a long story.)

    I think Rovals use 1.8mm spokes though. I've never seen a straight
    pull in that gauge.

  4. dianne_1234 said:

    On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 20:58:22 -0500, Steven <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Hi,

    I have a great pair of Roval wheels but recently had a spoke break. I
    have not found a replacement on the web. Does anyone have a suggestion
    as to whether or not I can use any other kind of spoke? I'm not too
    worried about it being a blades spoke. Anything that will make the
    wheel whole again.

    Thanks,

    Steven

    Interesting. Front or rear wheel? Left or right side? Where did it
    break? Head or threads or somewhere else? How many miles has the wheel
    gone?

    I've used a technique that *might* make a spoke fit in a Roval hub: I
    flattened the head of a straight pull spoke in a smooth jawed vise.
    (It's a long story.)

    I think Rovals use 1.8mm spokes though. I've never seen a straight
    pull in that gauge.

    The spoke broke off at the head and on the front wheel. Did your repair
    work?

    thanks,

    Steven

  5. On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 13:41:04 -0500, Steven <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    dianne_1234 said:

    On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 20:58:22 -0500, Steven <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Hi,

    I have a great pair of Roval wheels but recently had a spoke break. I
    have not found a replacement on the web. Does anyone have a suggestion
    as to whether or not I can use any other kind of spoke? I'm not too
    worried about it being a blades spoke. Anything that will make the
    wheel whole again.

    Thanks,

    Steven

    Interesting. Front or rear wheel? Left or right side? Where did it
    break? Head or threads or somewhere else? How many miles has the wheel
    gone?

    I've used a technique that *might* make a spoke fit in a Roval hub: I
    flattened the head of a straight pull spoke in a smooth jawed vise.
    (It's a long story.)

    I think Rovals use 1.8mm spokes though. I've never seen a straight
    pull in that gauge.

    The spoke broke off at the head and on the front wheel. Did your repair
    work?

    thanks,

    Steven

    I changed a straight pull spoke head into a spoke head that looked
    identical to my Roval's, but it wasn't for use in a Roval so don't
    know for sure if it would work. If you have a smooth jawed vise and
    can get a 1.8mm straight pull spoke though, it's dead easy to give it
    a try.

  6. Hi,

    What about these spokes?

    http://www.philwood.com/webcatolog/page21.htm

    Thanks,

    Steven

    dianne_1234 said:

    On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 13:41:04 -0500, Steven <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    dianne_1234 said:

    On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 20:58:22 -0500, Steven <[email hidden]>
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I have a great pair of Roval wheels but recently had a spoke break. I
    >have not found a replacement on the web. Does anyone have a suggestion
    >as to whether or not I can use any other kind of spoke? I'm not too
    >worried about it being a blades spoke. Anything that will make the
    >wheel whole again.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Steven

    Interesting. Front or rear wheel? Left or right side? Where did it
    break? Head or threads or somewhere else? How many miles has the wheel
    gone?

    I've used a technique that *might* make a spoke fit in a Roval hub: I
    flattened the head of a straight pull spoke in a smooth jawed vise.
    (It's a long story.)

    I think Rovals use 1.8mm spokes though. I've never seen a straight
    pull in that gauge.

    The spoke broke off at the head and on the front wheel. Did your repair
    work?

    thanks,

    Steven

    I changed a straight pull spoke head into a spoke head that looked
    identical to my Roval's, but it wasn't for use in a Roval so don't
    know for sure if it would work. If you have a smooth jawed vise and
    can get a 1.8mm straight pull spoke though, it's dead easy to give it
    a try.

  7. On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 07:31:41 -0500, Steven <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Hi,

    What about these spokes?

    http://www.philwood.com/webcatolog/page21.htm

    Thanks,

    Steven

    Those look great. Probably worth trying!

  8. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 20:58:22 -0500, Steven <[email hidden]>
    > wrote:
    >> I have a great pair of Roval wheels but recently had a spoke
    >> break. I have not found a replacement on the web. Does anyone
    >> have a suggestion as to whether or not I can use any other kind of
    >> spoke? I'm not too worried about it being a blades spoke.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    dianne_1234 wrote:
    > Interesting. Front or rear wheel? Left or right side? Where did it
    > break? Head or threads or somewhere else? How many miles has the wheel
    > gone?
    > I've used a technique that *might* make a spoke fit in a Roval hub: I
    > flattened the head of a straight pull spoke in a smooth jawed vise.
    > (It's a long story.)
    > I think Rovals use 1.8mm spokes though. I've never seen a straight
    > pull in that gauge.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 13:41:04 -0500, Steven <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    The spoke broke off at the head and on the front wheel. Did your
    repair work?

    Quoted message said:
    dianne_1234 said:

    I changed a straight pull spoke head into a spoke head that looked
    identical to my Roval's, but it wasn't for use in a Roval so don't
    know for sure if it would work. If you have a smooth jawed vise and
    can get a 1.8mm straight pull spoke though, it's dead easy to give it
    a try.

    Steven top posted:

    Quoted message said:

    What about these spokes?
    http://www.philwood.com/webcatolog/page21.htm

    Phil's material is great but Roval's heads are 'hammerhead'
    shape so you'll have to form it yourself. Campagnolo wheels
    presently use a black spoke which could also be worked to
    fit. Your LBS may not have been a Roval dealer but might
    sell current Campagnolo products.

    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org
    Open every day since 1 April, 1971

  9. On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 20:22:46 -0600, A Muzi <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 13:41:04 -0500, Steven <[email hidden]>
    wrote:
    > The spoke broke off at the head and on the front wheel. Did your
    > repair work?

    Quoted message said:
    dianne_1234 said:

    I changed a straight pull spoke head into a spoke head that looked
    identical to my Roval's, but it wasn't for use in a Roval so don't
    know for sure if it would work. If you have a smooth jawed vise and
    can get a 1.8mm straight pull spoke though, it's dead easy to give it
    a try.

    Steven top posted:

    Quoted message said:

    What about these spokes?
    http://www.philwood.com/webcatolog/page21.htm

    Phil's material is great but Roval's heads are 'hammerhead'
    shape so you'll have to form it yourself. Campagnolo wheels
    presently use a black spoke which could also be worked to
    fit. Your LBS may not have been a Roval dealer but might
    sell current Campagnolo products.

    Unfortunately, even if a Campagnolo (or other) straight-pull spoke
    head can be reformed to fit within the Roval hub, the threading will
    likely still pose a problem.

    In addition to their unusual spoke heads, Roval spokes also have
    threads that are neither 2.0x56tpi nor 1.8x56tpi. The Roval spoke
    nipple that shares this thread format is a special hex-head nut shaped
    to nest within a toroidal nylon support at the inner rim wall. A
    substitute for the Roval nipple will need to be found as well if you
    use a spoke other than original equipment.
    -------------------------------
    John Dacey
    Business Cycles, Miami, Florida
    Since 1983
    Comprehensive catalogue of track equipment: online since 1996.
    http://www.businesscycles.com

  10. "Nil tam difficile quin quaerendo investigari possiet." - Terence
    On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 13:41:04 -0500, Steven <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I have a great pair of Roval wheels but recently had a spoke break. I
    have not found a replacement on the web. Does anyone have a suggestion
    as to whether or not I can use any other kind of spoke? I'm not too
    worried about it being a blades spoke. Anything that will make the
    wheel whole again.

    Quoted message said:

    The spoke broke off at the head and on the front wheel.

    Tubular (286 mm.) or clincher (288 mm)?

    My remaining inventory of spokes for front and left rear Roval
    tubulars has been exhausted, but I still have a few for the clincher
    version of the wheels. Additionally, I think I have all the requisite
    lengths for the various crossed right rears for 16, 18, 24 or 30 spoke
    tubulars and clinchers.
    -------------------------------
    John Dacey
    Business Cycles, Miami, Florida
    Since 1983
    Comprehensive catalogue of track equipment: online since 1996.
    http://www.businesscycles.com

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.