UK and Europe · Public discussion

Advice please - do I need a new chain?

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 8 posts · 536 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
5 May 2007
Last activity
7 May 2007
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
536
Views / 30 days
12

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi there

    Im relatively new to cycling and am really enjoying the commute into
    work as opposed to the tube!

    However since my last ride home, ive noticed a grating/squeaking sound
    as I press my right leg down when pedaling (almost rhythmically in the
    same place everytime). The noise stops, when I free-wheel.

    Does this mean I need a new chain, or perhaps a new wheel bearing? Any
    advice greatly appreciated.

    Thanks in advance.

    Tim

  2. Quoted message said:

    Hi there

    Im relatively new to cycling and am really enjoying the commute into
    work as opposed to the tube!

    However since my last ride home, ive noticed a grating/squeaking sound
    as I press my right leg down when pedaling (almost rhythmically in the
    same place everytime). The noise stops, when I free-wheel.

    Does this mean I need a new chain, or perhaps a new wheel bearing? Any
    advice greatly appreciated.

    Probably the crank arms need tightening, that'd be my first bet. Check
    the pedals while your there, then the handlebars. Thats usually the
    creaks. The grating sound I've no idea.

  3. Tosspot said:
    Quoted message said:

    Hi there

    Im relatively new to cycling and am really enjoying the commute into
    work as opposed to the tube!

    However since my last ride home, ive noticed a grating/squeaking sound
    as I press my right leg down when pedaling (almost rhythmically in the
    same place everytime). The noise stops, when I free-wheel.

    Does this mean I need a new chain, or perhaps a new wheel bearing? Any
    advice greatly appreciated.

    Probably the crank arms need tightening, that'd be my first bet. Check
    the pedals while your there, then the handlebars. Thats usually the
    creaks. The grating sound I've no idea.

    The grating sound is likely to be the chain rubbing against the front
    mech. As you suggest it may be the crank is loose; also possible is play
    in the BB. Either should be detectable by trying to wobble the crank
    from side to side. It should move very little. If the other crank
    wobbles with it, it's probably the BB, if not, probably a loose crank on
    the chainring side.

  4. in message <[email hidden]>,

    (') said:

    Hi there

    Im relatively new to cycling and am really enjoying the commute into
    work as opposed to the tube!

    However since my last ride home, ive noticed a grating/squeaking sound
    as I press my right leg down when pedaling (almost rhythmically in the
    same place everytime). The noise stops, when I free-wheel.

    Does this mean I need a new chain, or perhaps a new wheel bearing? Any
    advice greatly appreciated.

    What you're describing can be caused by a lot of things.

    If you can feel a click or grating feeling through one foot but not the
    other, it's probably a pedal bearing (although sometimes you get pedal
    bearing problems with no distinct feeling).

    If you feel a click or grating feeling through both feet, it's probably the
    bottom bracket (although, again...).

    But the other thing I'd check are the wheel bearings on the right hand side
    of the rear wheel. They're under a lot of load when pedalling, far less
    when freewheeling. However, the fact that you say the noise is in rhythm
    with your pedalling makes me think it's either the bottom bracket or the
    right hand pedal, as wheel bearing noises tend to be either continuous or
    once per wheel revolution.

    If you check these and still haven't fixed it, very odd noises can turn out
    to be caused by the seatpost (honestly).

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/
    Copyright (c) Simon Brooke; All rights reserved. Permission is
    granted to transfer this message via UUCP or NNTP and to store it
    for the purpose of archiving or further transfer. Permission is
    explicitly denied to use this message as part of a 'Web Forum', or
    to transfer it by HTTP.

  5. Guys

    Thanks very much for all the feedback.

    Much appreciated.

    Tim

  6. in message <[email hidden]>, Ben C

    (') said:
    Tosspot said:
    Quoted message said:

    Hi there

    Im relatively new to cycling and am really enjoying the commute into
    work as opposed to the tube!

    However since my last ride home, ive noticed a grating/squeaking sound
    as I press my right leg down when pedaling (almost rhythmically in the
    same place everytime). The noise stops, when I free-wheel.

    Does this mean I need a new chain, or perhaps a new wheel bearing? Any
    advice greatly appreciated.

    Probably the crank arms need tightening, that'd be my first bet. Check
    the pedals while your there, then the handlebars. Thats usually the
    creaks. The grating sound I've no idea.

    The grating sound is likely to be the chain rubbing against the front
    mech. As you suggest it may be the crank is loose; also possible is play
    in the BB. Either should be detectable by trying to wobble the crank
    from side to side. It should move very little. If the other crank
    wobbles with it, it's probably the BB, if not, probably a loose crank on
    the chainring side.

    Actually, yes... I misunderstood the OP's description of symptoms. Cheaper
    chainsets which warp a little under the pressure of pedalling will make
    a 'chirrr... chirrr... chirrr' sound as the chain rubs on the side of the
    front derailleur cage. Or, as Tosspot says, the right hand crank might be
    loose.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/
    Wannabe a Web designer?
    <URL:http://userfriendly.org/cartoons/archives/97dec/19971206.html>

  7. "Simon Brooke" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    in message <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] ([email hidden]'😉 wrote:

    If you check these and still haven't fixed it, very odd noises can turn
    out
    to be caused by the seatpost (honestly).

    Having take na while to adjust my saddle on my moutnain bike I started
    getting worried by a very irritating creeking noise, It sounded like it was
    coming from the handle bars but when I stopped and tried to do it there was
    no creaking fro mthe bars, then i sat back down on the saddle for a think.
    Jsut as I put my weightback there was that damn creak again. Hand't quite
    tightened the bolt up enough and the rails and teeth had room to move very
    slightly in the clamp.

    Niall

  8. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    Ive now noticed that I am not able to shift from the middle to large
    (front) cog when I change gear, even though it tells me on the dial
    that it has moved to '3'. Just doesnt seem to want to change up. Could
    this be something to do with the creaking sound?

    Could be - try moving the cage out by hand to see if it will move
    further , and if it will try tightening the cable (there's probably an
    adjuster behind the lever on the handlebar).

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.