Advice - please help! Thanks!

rookie711

Sep 7, 2006
Looking to get started in cycling. Can anyone give me any sdvice regarding the Tommaso Imola 2007?? Appreciate the help. Specs are below:

Frame: AluminumSemi Compact Frame, w/replaceable dropout & integrated headtubeFork: Carbon fiber legs, alloy integrated crown, CR-MO 1-1/8" steererRear Shock: N/AFront Derailleur: Shimano Sora TripleRear Derailleur: Shimano Sora GSShifters: Shimano Sora 8-SpdBrakes Levers: Shimano SoraBrakes: Tektro, BlackChain: Shimano HG50Crankset: Prowheel 52/42/30T, BlackCassette: Sunrace 11-24 8-SpdPedals: Wellogo Alloy Plaform w/ Toe Straps Bottom Bracket: Chromoly square taperHeadset: FSA IntellasetSaddle: Tommaso Steel RailSeat Post: Tomasso AlloyHandlebar: Tommaso Alloy Ergonomic 26.0Grips: Cork TapeStem: Tommaso Alloy 26.0Tires: Kenda 700x25cWheelset: Weinmann XR18Weight: N/AColor: Burgundy Pearl Red

Anyone out there?
rookie711 said:
Looking to get started in cycling. Can anyone give me any sdvice regarding the Tommaso Imola 2007?? Appreciate the help. Specs are below:

Frame: AluminumSemi Compact Frame, w/replaceable dropout & integrated headtubeFork: Carbon fiber legs, alloy integrated crown, CR-MO 1-1/8" steererRear Shock: N/AFront Derailleur: Shimano Sora TripleRear Derailleur: Shimano Sora GSShifters: Shimano Sora 8-SpdBrakes Levers: Shimano SoraBrakes: Tektro, BlackChain: Shimano HG50Crankset: Prowheel 52/42/30T, BlackCassette: Sunrace 11-24 8-SpdPedals: Wellogo Alloy Plaform w/ Toe Straps Bottom Bracket: Chromoly square taperHeadset: FSA IntellasetSaddle: Tommaso Steel RailSeat Post: Tomasso AlloyHandlebar: Tommaso Alloy Ergonomic 26.0Grips: Cork TapeStem: Tommaso Alloy 26.0Tires: Kenda 700x25cWheelset: Weinmann XR18Weight: N/AColor: Burgundy Pearl Red

rookie711 said:

It sounds fine for the price ... an all-around bike at a better than "local" shop, entry level price when on sale (locally). The bike will probably weigh about 24 lbs. more-or-less (depending on the size). You will need basic tools (even if you were to buy the bike from a local shop) ...

The MAIN (?) thing you want to do is to size it properly ...

Sizing will be based on the virtual top tube length ...

If you are between 5'7" & 5'9", then 54cm top tube (probably a SMALL FRAME) is MY recommendation (others will give you their input) ...

If you are 5'10 to 6'0", then a LARGE frame ...

If you are shorter than 5'7", then get a small frame.

If you can't size the bike in a frame that fits YOU, then don't buy it ... the components can be upgraded in time ... OR, not.

You'll eventually want clipless pedals. If you have clipless pedals on your mountain bike (that is, presuming you have a mountain bike), then you can just "borrow" them from the one bike until you decide if you want ROAD pedals or if the MTB pedals work for you.

The only disadvantage of that bike when compared with SOME local bike shop purchases (I'm presuming you're getting this through an internet/mail-order sale) is that you won't get your hand-held (which won't be much on an entry level bike) ...

The money you save can go to a lot of OTHER things ... either upgrades in he future, or whatever other recreational activity you have OR food, beer, whatever!

I don't know what the shipping cost is going to be, but I usually reckon the local sales tax will be about the same; so, that is a "wash."

Thanks for the help. I'm extremely entry level and don't even own a mtn bike but am considering doing some cycling and maybe even triathlons. I am shocked at the price of bikes and accesories to be honest. I think I may pull the trigger oin this nd then go down to the lbs for some advice on accessories etc.

alfeng said:
It sounds fine for the price ... an all-around bike at a better than "local" shop, entry level price when on sale (locally). The bike will probably weigh about 24 lbs. more-or-less (depending on the size). You will need basic tools (even if you were to buy the bike from a local shop) ...

The MAIN (?) thing you want to do is to size it properly ...

Sizing will be based on the virtual top tube length ...

If you are between 5'7" & 5'9", then 54cm top tube (probably a SMALL FRAME) is MY recommendation (others will give you their input) ...

If you are 5'10 to 6'0", then a LARGE frame ...

If you are shorter than 5'7", then get a small frame.

If you can't size the bike in a frame that fits YOU, then don't buy it ... the components can be upgraded in time ... OR, not.

You'll eventually want clipless pedals. If you have clipless pedals on your mountain bike (that is, presuming you have a mountain bike), then you can just "borrow" them from the one bike until you decide if you want ROAD pedals or if the MTB pedals work for you.

The only disadvantage of that bike when compared with SOME local bike shop purchases (I'm presuming you're getting this through an internet/mail-order sale) is that you won't get your hand-held (which won't be much on an entry level bike) ...

The money you save can go to a lot of OTHER things ... either upgrades in he future, or whatever other recreational activity you have OR food, beer, whatever!

I don't know what the shipping cost is going to be, but I usually reckon the local sales tax will be about the same; so, that is a "wash."

rookie711 said:
Thanks for the help. I'm extremely entry level and don't even own a mtn bike but am considering doing some cycling and maybe even triathlons. I am shocked at the price of bikes and accesories to be honest. I think I may pull the trigger oin this nd then go down to the lbs for some advice on accessories etc.
You NEED a helmet -- you can get a good BELL or GIRO helmet for about $50-to-$60 ... or, spend MORE!

Gloves, cycling shoes, eyeware are optional ... I know someone who rode COAST-to-COAST (Baltimore to SF) wearing Sperry Topsiders!

If you are in North America, the riding season has ended in 80% of the country AND that is why the bike is "on sale."

Actually, for $400, I would personally get a used steel framed bike + a pair of Campagnolo ERGO shifers + set of derailleurs, et cetera ... but, that is because I can piece it together myself ... it would mean you would have to know someone who could cobble everything together for you.

$400 for the component group/etc. on that frame is a decent price for a new bike ... you'll probably be shocked by how much more (percentage-wise) a comparable bike will cost at your LBS.