Advice: Starting back tightness/pain

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by teillon, Apr 11, 2006.

  1. teillon

    teillon Guest

    I just got motivated to start back after 2 years off. I simply did
    three sets of curls with a small bar and low weight until I was "beat".

    One day later I have tremendous pain in my biceps. Not constant pain,
    but my right bicep is very tight and I find it hard to even extend my
    arm. If I talk on the phone with that arm, it's very painful to extend
    it out after the call.

    I understand taking a break and going slow, but I remember that this is
    what caused me to quick 2 years ago. I anticipate that even if I don't
    lift again I will still have this pain/tightness a week from now.

    I have tried stretching through it and massaging the muscles myself.
    Both help temporarily (like for five minutes) and then the tightness is
    back.

    I'm 34 and feeling old!

    Any advice?

    Tags:

  2. "teillon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I just got motivated to start back after 2 years off. I simply did
    > three sets of curls with a small bar and low weight until I was "beat".
    >
    > One day later I have tremendous pain in my biceps. Not constant pain,
    > but my right bicep is very tight and I find it hard to even extend my
    > arm. If I talk on the phone with that arm, it's very painful to extend
    > it out after the call.
    >
    > I understand taking a break and going slow, but I remember that this is
    > what caused me to quick 2 years ago. I anticipate that even if I don't
    > lift again I will still have this pain/tightness a week from now.
    >
    > I have tried stretching through it and massaging the muscles myself.
    > Both help temporarily (like for five minutes) and then the tightness is
    > back.
    >
    > I'm 34 and feeling old!
    >
    > Any advice?

    Take it easy and be patient. DOMS or delayed onset muscle soreness is normal for
    a newbie. Wait for the pain to completely subside or almost completely then come
    back and do a 3 day a week full body routine on alternate days. (M-W-F or
    Tu-Th-Sa) Start with only 1 set per muscle group. Give your body some time to
    adapt before you increase the sets. DO NOT work until you are "beat". It's
    totally unnecessary and counterproductive. Stay in the 8-12 rep range. When you
    can do 12 reps increase the weight slightly and drop back to 8 reps.