Advice Wanted- Beginner Biker, Which Repair Manual to Buy

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Bob Sims Lie Detector, Apr 21, 2004.

  1. Hi, I'm new to biking and am looking for a decent Repair/Advice Manual
    for my city/road bike, so I don't have to keep going to the bike shop
    when the thing breaks down. I've read reviews on Amazon of authors
    like Leonard Zinn, etc, but there seems to be a lot of choice.. anyone
    got any recommendations to make? I'm not looking at high-level stuff,
    more a well-diagrammed, straightforward manual which includes most of
    the common problems a bike owner would come across and solutions to
    solve them. Thanks

    Tags:

  2. Ken

    Ken Guest

    [email protected] (Bob Sims Lie Detector) wrote in
    news:[email protected]:
    > Hi, I'm new to biking and am looking for a decent Repair/Advice Manual
    > for my city/road bike, so I don't have to keep going to the bike shop
    > when the thing breaks down. I've read reviews on Amazon of authors
    > like Leonard Zinn

    The Zinn books are good. The Haynes book has better diagrams. I recommend
    getting both. If one confuses you, read the other one, too.

  3. DRS

    DRS Guest

    Bob Sims Lie Detector <[email protected]> wrote in
    message [email protected]

    http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=38747

    --

    A: Top-posters.

  4. In article <[email protected]>,
    Bob Sims Lie Detector <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Hi, I'm new to biking and am looking for a decent Repair/Advice Manual
    >for my city/road bike, so I don't have to keep going to the bike shop
    >when the thing breaks down. I've read reviews on Amazon of authors
    >like Leonard Zinn,

    The Zinn book is pretty good, there isn't any book I'd recommend
    over it, unless you would be happy with a shop manual like
    Sutherland's or Barnett's.

  5. On 21 Apr 2004 09:37:34 -0700, [email protected] (Bob Sims Lie
    Detector) wrote:

    <Hi, I'm new to biking and am looking for a decent Repair/Advice Manual
    <for my city/road bike, so I don't have to keep going to the bike shop
    <when the thing breaks down. I've read reviews on Amazon of authors
    <like Leonard Zinn, etc, but there seems to be a lot of choice.. anyone
    <got any recommendations to make? I'm not looking at high-level stuff,
    <more a well-diagrammed, straightforward manual which includes most of
    <the common problems a bike owner would come across and solutions to
    <solve them. Thanks

    Bike to your nearest library.

  6. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    Sims Lie Detector) may have said:

    >Hi, I'm new to biking and am looking for a decent Repair/Advice Manual
    >for my city/road bike, so I don't have to keep going to the bike shop
    >when the thing breaks down. I've read reviews on Amazon of authors
    >like Leonard Zinn, etc, but there seems to be a lot of choice.. anyone
    >got any recommendations to make?

    The Zinn book is a very good place to start, but might I suggest
    checking to see if it's in your public library? Checking it out and
    reading it may help you decide whether it's worth buying a copy.
    They'll probably have some of the others available as well.

    Don't expect any book to be right up to the minute on bleeding-edge
    high-performance gear, but don't bother with a book that's so obsolete
    that it doesn't recognize the existence of stuff that's common today
    like brifters, 8- and 9-speed cassettes, etc.

    Oh, and if you have a mountain bike with a suspension fork, bear in
    mind that the fork's servicing procedures are unlikely to be in any
    book. There are enough different fork designs to fill a good-sized
    book without ever mentioning the rest of the bike.

  7. In article <[email protected]ax.com>,
    Werehatrack <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On 21 Apr 2004 09:37:34 -0700, [email protected] (Bob
    > Sims Lie Detector) may have said:
    >
    > >Hi, I'm new to biking and am looking for a decent Repair/Advice Manual
    > >for my city/road bike,

    > The Zinn book is a very good place to start, but might I suggest
    > checking to see if it's in your public library? Checking it out and
    > reading it may help you decide whether it's worth buying a copy.
    > They'll probably have some of the others available as well.

    I'm happy with the Zinn: I got the mountain bike book for my father,
    then it came to live at my house (some gift! Well, I did give him a
    bike). There's a lot of overlap between the road and mountain bike
    books. So much so that I'd recommend getting the one appropriate to your
    main bike and adapting as necessary. Bike maintenance isn't rocket
    science.

    That said, the Barnett's (available online) is the bible of bike
    maintenance, but it covers stuff that just isn't ever going to happen to
    most home mechanics (are you planning to re-face your bottom bracket?),
    and it's expensive. But that one can be scrounged up from online sources.

    Then you get people like me: I now own my own dropout alignment tool. No
    reason, it's the sort of thing that just happens sometimes.

    > Oh, and if you have a mountain bike with a suspension fork, bear in
    > mind that the fork's servicing procedures are unlikely to be in any
    > book. There are enough different fork designs to fill a good-sized
    > book without ever mentioning the rest of the bike.

    On that note, I cannot speak for other fork-makers, but Marzocchi has
    what appears to be the service manuals for every darned fork they ever
    made available online. It came in very handy when I re-did my 1997 Z.2.
    --
    Ryan Cousineau, [email protected] http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine/wiredcola/
    President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club

  8. sfcommuter

    sfcommuter Guest

    Bob Sims Lie De wrote:
    > Hi, I'm new to biking and am looking for a decent Repair/Advice Manual
    > for my city/road bike, so I don't have to keep going to the bike shop
    > when the thing breaks down. I've read reviews on Amazon of authors like
    > Leonard Zinn, etc, but there seems to be a lot of choice.. anyone got
    > any recommendations to make? I'm not looking at high-level stuff, more a
    > well-diagrammed, straightforward manual which includes most of the
    > common problems a bike owner would come across and solutions to solve
    > them. Thanks

    I own Hayes, Zinn (got both cheap/used) and Barnetts (new 5th edition
    - note that the version you can download online is the 4th edition
    from 2000 ).

    If you don't want to spend too much money, I'd get Hayes or Zinn (used
    or from Amazon), but there is so much useful info online that you don't
    even need those necessarily. I find it's useful to cross reference
    because some sources cover issues better than others.

    Since I'm currently building up a road bike from scratch, I appreciate
    the level of detail in Barnetts and can spend hours looking at exploded
    diagrams of brifters but it's overkill for just general maintenance tips
    and the older online version is fine unless you're a fanatic about up-to-
    date detail.

    --

  9. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    Bob Sims Lie Detector wrote:

    > Hi, I'm new to biking and am looking for a decent Repair/Advice Manual
    > for my city/road bike, so I don't have to keep going to the bike shop
    > when the thing breaks down. I've read reviews on Amazon of authors
    > like Leonard Zinn, etc, but there seems to be a lot of choice.. anyone
    > got any recommendations to make? I'm not looking at high-level stuff,
    > more a well-diagrammed, straightforward manual which includes most of
    > the common problems a bike owner would come across and solutions to
    > solve them. Thanks

    Peruse Anybody's Bike Book, completely approachable to the
    novice.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org

  10. Thanks to everyone who gave advice on the question below- which manual
    to buy for basic repair of city bike.

    I have one more question, which may sound stunningly obvious but my
    library unfortunately doesn't stock any kind of bike manuals/guides,
    and the reviews on the Web are unhelpful... which is better to buy for
    a basic city bike, Zinn and the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance, or
    Zinn and the Art of Basic Road Bike Maintenance? As far as I can tell
    the Road Bike Maintenance deals mostly with what we in Britain a
    "racing bike" (low handle-bars), whereas the Mountain Bike version
    obviously doesn't sound quite what I'm after. My bike is the standard
    City bike with large frame and thin tyres.

    As you can see I don't know much about bikes!

    Thanks again and any help gratefully appreciated.