UK and Europe · Public discussion

advice wanted on cycling holiday

Started by passing tyke · · Last activity · 22 posts · 1,130 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
16 July 2005
Last activity
21 July 2005
Original author
passing tyke
Posts
22
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,130
Views / 30 days
12

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 22
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Comments / advice / suggestions wanted.

    My friend and I are planning a short cycling holiday.

    We are female and 50 years old. Neither of us is an experienced long
    haul cyclist, but we are both well used to cycling as a means of getting
    round our rather hilly home town.

    We both have OK bikes, but nothing very special. Mine is a 3 year old
    Giant hybrid (cost £200) and my friend a brand new Orbea town/hybrid
    (cost £300).

    We are thinking of going to East Anglia, and staying in B and Bs or
    Youth Hostels. Neither of us have ever been to this part of the country
    before. Is it as flat as people say? Are there any nice routes you
    could recommend?

    We want something scenic and free from heavy traffic. Looking at the
    map I fancy getting the train to King's Lynn or thereabouts, going round
    the coast as far as feasible, trying also to take in some of the broads,
    and then getting the train back from wherever we end up.

    We were planning on about 3 days cycling. Bearing in mind that we
    intend to pootle, enjoy the scenery and stop for lots of snacks and
    drinks, about how many miles do you think we can cover?

  2. On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 16:41:00 +0100 someone who may be passing tyke
    <[email hidden]> wrote this:-

    Quoted message said:

    We are thinking of going to East Anglia, and staying in B and Bs or
    Youth Hostels. Neither of us have ever been to this part of the country
    before. Is it as flat as people say?

    Check the prevailing winds and go with them. Flat tends to mean
    winds.

    Quoted message said:

    We want something scenic and free from heavy traffic. Looking at the
    map I fancy getting the train to King's Lynn or thereabouts,

    http://www.atob.org.uk/Bike_Rail.html is the starting point for
    bikes on trains.

    --
    David Hansen, Edinburgh | PGP email preferred-key number F566DA0E
    I will always explain revoked keys, unless the UK government
    prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.

  3. In message <[email hidden]>, passing tyke
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    Comments / advice / suggestions wanted.

    My friend and I are planning a short cycling holiday.

    We are female and 50 years old. Neither of us is an experienced long
    haul cyclist, but we are both well used to cycling as a means of
    getting round our rather hilly home town.

    We both have OK bikes, but nothing very special. Mine is a 3 year old
    Giant hybrid (cost £200) and my friend a brand new Orbea town/hybrid
    (cost £300).

    The important things are that they are comfortable for you and reliable

    Quoted message said:


    We are thinking of going to East Anglia, and staying in B and Bs or
    Youth Hostels. Neither of us have ever been to this part of the
    country before. Is it as flat as people say?

    No, quite a lot is a lot of Cambridgeshire, the fens into Norfolk etc.
    but much of norfolk - esp. north and suffolk are pleasantly undulating

    Quoted message said:

    Are there any nice routes you could recommend?

    Suffolk is very pleasant, had a nice time a few years back around the
    Aldburgh area

    Quoted message said:


    We want something scenic and free from heavy traffic. Looking at the
    map I fancy getting the train to King's Lynn or thereabouts, going
    round the coast as far as feasible, trying also to take in some of the
    broads, and then getting the train back from wherever we end up.

    Nice around there as well, though the coast road itself can be bit busy
    esp in the summer

    Quoted message said:


    We were planning on about 3 days cycling. Bearing in mind that we
    intend to pootle, enjoy the scenery and stop for lots of snacks and
    drinks, about how many miles do you think we can cover?

    I suggest aiming at around 40 per day, in cycling time no more than 3-4
    hours even at a moderate pace so plenty of time for tea and cakes :-)
    --
    Chris French

  4. On 07/16/2005 16:41:00 passing tyke said:

    Comments / advice / suggestions wanted.

    Quoted message said:

    My friend and I are planning a short cycling holiday.

    Quoted message said:

    We are female and 50 years old. Neither of us is an experienced long haul
    cyclist, but we are both well used to cycling as a means of getting round
    our rather hilly home town.

    Quoted message said:

    We both have OK bikes, but nothing very special. Mine is a 3 year old
    Giant hybrid (cost £200) and my friend a brand new Orbea town/hybrid
    (cost £300).

    Quoted message said:

    We are thinking of going to East Anglia, and staying in B and Bs or Youth
    Hostels. Neither of us have ever been to this part of the country before.
    Is it as flat as people say? Are there any nice routes you could
    recommend?

    Quoted message said:

    We want something scenic and free from heavy traffic. Looking at the map
    I fancy getting the train to King's Lynn or thereabouts, going round the
    coast as far as feasible, trying also to take in some of the broads, and
    then getting the train back from wherever we end up.

    Quoted message said:

    We were planning on about 3 days cycling. Bearing in mind that we intend
    to pootle, enjoy the scenery and stop for lots of snacks and drinks, about
    how many miles do you think we can cover?

    If you do not plan on a particular mileage every day then join the YHA, they
    usually have secure bike parking and you can arrive at most any time.

    Sounds like the only problem you may have, is wishing you had ten days
    instead of three.

    --

    Buck

    I would rather be out on my Catrike

    http://www.catrike.co.uk

  5. David Hansen said:
    Quoted message said:

    We are thinking of going to East Anglia, and staying in B and Bs or
    Youth Hostels. Neither of us have ever been to this part of the country
    before. Is it as flat as people say?

    Check the prevailing winds and go with them. Flat tends to mean
    winds.

    This is the double edged sword of cycling in North Lincolnshire. Sometimes
    you find yourself traveling down a perfectly flat road, a ditch next to you
    and fields as far the eye can see and you could almost be in Holland. On
    occasion I find myself considering a detour that will take me through a
    village just that I am on road that it is not as exposed.

    --
    ***My real address is m/ike at u/nmusic d/ot co dot u/k (removing /s)
    http://www.unmusic.co.uk - about me, music, geek sitcom etc.
    http://www.unmusic.co.uk/amh-s-faq.html - alt.music.home-studio FAQ
    http://www.unmusic.co.uk/wrap.php?file=vhs.html - vhs purchase log.
    http://www.unmusic.co.uk/ukodb - uk outdoor bargain noticeboard.

  6. chris French said:
    Quoted message said:

    We were planning on about 3 days cycling. Bearing in mind that we
    intend to pootle, enjoy the scenery and stop for lots of snacks and
    drinks, about how many miles do you think we can cover?

    I suggest aiming at around 40 per day, in cycling time no more than 3-4
    hours even at a moderate pace so plenty of time for tea and cakes :-)

    It depends on the amount of time spent on and off the bike of course,
    but people are usually amazed how much distance they can cover in a day.
    As the OP and her companion are already conditioned utility cyclists I
    would suggest 60 a day would be more satisfying. It's still only 5 hours
    at 12mph, or 6 at 10 mph. Break that up into pre-lunch, post-lunch, and
    post-tea and it's no more than a couple of hours per session.

    --
    Dave...

    Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the
    future of the human race. - H. G. Wells

  7. passing tyke said:

    Comments / advice / suggestions wanted.

    My friend and I are planning a short cycling holiday.

    We are female and 50 years old. Neither of us is an experienced long
    haul cyclist, but we are both well used to cycling as a means of getting
    round our rather hilly home town.

    We both have OK bikes, but nothing very special. Mine is a 3 year old
    Giant hybrid (cost £200) and my friend a brand new Orbea town/hybrid
    (cost £300).

    We are thinking of going to East Anglia, and staying in B and Bs or
    Youth Hostels. Neither of us have ever been to this part of the country
    before. Is it as flat as people say? Are there any nice routes you
    could recommend?

    We want something scenic and free from heavy traffic. Looking at the
    map I fancy getting the train to King's Lynn or thereabouts, going round
    the coast as far as feasible, trying also to take in some of the broads,
    and then getting the train back from wherever we end up.

    We were planning on about 3 days cycling. Bearing in mind that we
    intend to pootle, enjoy the scenery and stop for lots of snacks and
    drinks, about how many miles do you think we can cover?

    Advice from a Norfolk resident -- it is not flat -- but the hills are
    only modest climbs.
    Buy a decent map -- if I am out of my known patch I use the AA 1 inch
    to 3.5 miles. Look at all the B roads and small lanes -- they are quiet
    and pleasant to cycle -- avoid the A roads at all costs.
    Kings lynn -- going east -- I would go to Castle Acre -- great cafe
    that always welcomes cyclists -- Willow - I think, then up to Houghton
    Hall -- stop and have a look round -- then the back roads to Holkham
    hall -- entering through the arch from the South, then past the
    obelisk-- stop and look around. Go to Wells , find your accomodation --
    go and have a look at the beach etc. That is Day 1 -- plan your own
    from there on.

    Look at a good pub guide before you start -- work out possible lunch
    stops.

    Cley is nice, good pubs good circular walk to Blakeney. Holt is
    attractive too

    I would only aim for 40 miles -- you could do more I am sure -- but
    relax and look and enjoy yourselves --dont aim to get maximum miles
    done -- stop and look -- after all it is a holiday.

    Best wishes
    Roger

  8. Dave Kahn said:


    It depends on the amount of time spent on and off the bike of course,
    but people are usually amazed how much distance they can cover in a day.
    As the OP and her companion are already conditioned utility cyclists I
    would suggest 60 a day would be more satisfying. It's still only 5 hours
    at 12mph, or 6 at 10 mph. Break that up into pre-lunch, post-lunch, and
    post-tea and it's no more than a couple of hours per session.

    Depends. If you are doing the Norfolk Coast from Kings Lynn I would say
    that is too far to consider in a day. You will want to stop of at
    Sandringham no doubt on the way to Hunstanton (Old Hunstanton is much
    nicer than the main town) which will probably end up as one day but not
    a lot of distance if you spend much time looking round Sandringham. Then
    there time for swimming and sightseeing in the towns. You could do 60 a
    day but you would miss out on a lot in favour of mileage.

    The book http://www.cyclenorfolk.co.uk/guidebookmain/main.htm is worth
    getting at £3 and describes the Norfolk Coast Cycleway from Kings Lynn
    to Cromer (it carries on to Yarmouth)

    --
    Tony

    "I did make a mistake once - I thought I'd made a mistake but I hadn't"
    Anon

  9. In message <[email hidden]>, Tony Raven
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:
    Dave Kahn said:

    It depends on the amount of time spent on and off the bike of
    course, but people are usually amazed how much distance they can
    cover in a day. As the OP and her companion are already conditioned
    utility cyclists I would suggest 60 a day would be more satisfying.
    It's still only 5 hours at 12mph, or 6 at 10 mph. Break that up into
    pre-lunch, post-lunch, and post-tea and it's no more than a couple of
    hours per session.

    Depends. If you are doing the Norfolk Coast from Kings Lynn I would
    say that is too far to consider in a day. You will want to stop of at
    Sandringham no doubt on the way to Hunstanton (Old Hunstanton is much
    nicer than the main town) which will probably end up as one day but not
    a lot of distance if you spend much time looking round Sandringham.
    Then there time for swimming and sightseeing in the towns. You could
    do 60 a day but you would miss out on a lot in favour of mileage.

    That was the sort of view I was taking. I based the 40 miles on my own
    touring, ok I often have a full camping load, but rarely do more than 50
    , and usually work on an average of 40-50 mpd, this is what I've found
    I've ended up doing, rather than a target, I certainly could cover more
    if I wanted to, but prefer a few tea stops, nosing around museums, and
    little towns, or just resting and enjoying the view :-)

    Also 50 + can still be a lot for even a regular utlity cyclist if their
    journeys are short.
    --
    Chris French

  10. chris French said:

    In message <[email hidden]>, Tony Raven
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Depends. If you are doing the Norfolk Coast from Kings Lynn I would
    say that is too far to consider in a day. You will want to stop of at
    Sandringham no doubt on the way to Hunstanton (Old Hunstanton is much
    nicer than the main town) which will probably end up as one day but
    not a lot of distance if you spend much time looking round
    Sandringham. Then there time for swimming and sightseeing in the
    towns. You could do 60 a day but you would miss out on a lot in
    favour of mileage.

    That was the sort of view I was taking. I based the 40 miles on my own
    touring, ok I often have a full camping load, but rarely do more than 50
    , and usually work on an average of 40-50 mpd, this is what I've found
    I've ended up doing, rather than a target, I certainly could cover more
    if I wanted to, but prefer a few tea stops, nosing around museums, and
    little towns, or just resting and enjoying the view :-)

    OK, looks like I'm over-ruled. :-)

    Quoted message said:

    Also 50 + can still be a lot for even a regular utlity cyclist if their
    journeys are short.

    It can be, but people are often surprised that what they thought were
    ambitious target mileages are achieved hours earlier than expected. But
    as I said originally, it does largely depend how they want to divide
    their time between cycling and resting / sight-seeing.

    --
    Dave...

    Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the
    future of the human race. - H. G. Wells

  11. "passing tyke" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Comments / advice / suggestions wanted.

    My friend and I are planning a short cycling holiday.

    We are female and 50 years old. Neither of us is an experienced long haul
    cyclist, but we are both well used to cycling as a means of getting round
    our rather hilly home town.

    We both have OK bikes, but nothing very special. Mine is a 3 year old
    Giant hybrid (cost £200) and my friend a brand new Orbea town/hybrid (cost
    £300).

    We are thinking of going to East Anglia, and staying in B and Bs or Youth
    Hostels. Neither of us have ever been to this part of the country before.
    Is it as flat as people say? Are there any nice routes you could
    recommend?

    We want something scenic and free from heavy traffic. Looking at the map
    I fancy getting the train to King's Lynn or thereabouts, going round the
    coast as far as feasible, trying also to take in some of the broads, and
    then getting the train back from wherever we end up.

    We were planning on about 3 days cycling. Bearing in mind that we intend
    to pootle, enjoy the scenery and stop for lots of snacks and drinks, about
    how many miles do you think we can cover?

    If you go south & west of KL, you go into the fens which are very, very
    flat. No hills, but beware of the wind, which can sap strength in an instant
    as it can come straight in off the North Sea and/or across mile upon mile of
    field without a hedgerow in sight to break it.

    The other bit of flat is on the east of Norfolk, over on the Broads.
    Picturesque, loads of pubs, lots of water.

    Between, is some lovely undulating countryside with many a Ye Olde Worlde
    Tea Shoppe and Pubbe many of which welcome cyclists.

    The visitor centre at Sandringham has good grub and Sandringham is worth a
    visit. Castle Acre has an *excellent* tea shop in the Willow (Cottage) at
    one end of the main street next to the abbey (opposite end to the castle).
    The homemade soup is *delicious* and the cakes are too. The butternut squash
    soup is wonderful, as is the sweet potato and roasted red pepper soup...
    YUM.... Said establishment is the one which looked after yours truly and my
    injured other half after a hit-and-run where my other half was knocked off
    his bike.

    If you go to the Norfolk CTC web site at

    http://www.norfolkda2.freeserve.co.uk/

    enter the site then click on the 'cafes etc' link along the top of the site,
    you'll get a huge list of tried and tested cafes :-)

    Another useful publication is this, which I recommend,

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0540081973/qid=1121630134/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_8_1/202-2956235-6589423

    As is this, which I also recommend, the Goldeneye map of cycle routes

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1859651909/qid=1121630206/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_8_3/202-2956235-6589423

    Norfolk gives excellent cycling for tourists - it has loads of little
    country lanes which wind here and there with relatively little traffic. I
    live here, and even though I wasn't born here, I'm happy to spend the rest
    of my days here. I never get tired of cycling round Norfolk.

    Cheers, helen s

  12. On 07/17/2005 19:45:29 Dave Kahn said:

    chris French wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    In message <[email hidden]>, Tony Raven
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Depends. If you are doing the Norfolk Coast from Kings Lynn I would say
    that is too far to consider in a day. You will want to stop of at
    Sandringham no doubt on the way to Hunstanton (Old Hunstanton is much
    nicer than the main town) which will probably end up as one day but not
    a lot of distance if you spend much time looking round Sandringham.
    Then there time for swimming and sightseeing in the towns. You could do
    60 a day but you would miss out on a lot in favour of mileage.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    That was the sort of view I was taking. I based the 40 miles on my own
    touring, ok I often have a full camping load, but rarely do more than 50
    , and usually work on an average of 40-50 mpd, this is what I've found
    I've ended up doing, rather than a target, I certainly could cover more
    if I wanted to, but prefer a few tea stops, nosing around museums, and
    little towns, or just resting and enjoying the view :-)

    Quoted message said:

    OK, looks like I'm over-ruled. :-)

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Also 50 + can still be a lot for even a regular utlity cyclist if their
    journeys are short.

    Quoted message said:

    It can be, but people are often surprised that what they thought were
    ambitious target mileages are achieved hours earlier than expected. But
    as I said originally, it does largely depend how they want to divide their
    time between cycling and resting / sight-seeing.

    I agree, even going out for a simple pootle, I rarely do less than 30
    miles and often do 50 or 60 miles, I would expect to cover 80 to 100
    miles a day if touring seriously.
    --

    Buck

    I would rather be out on my Catrike

    http://www.catrike.co.uk

  13. Buck said:
    On 07/17/2005 19:45:29 Dave Kahn said:

    chris French wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Also 50 + can still be a lot for even a regular utlity cyclist if their
    journeys are short.

    Quoted message said:

    It can be, but people are often surprised that what they thought were
    ambitious target mileages are achieved hours earlier than expected. But
    as I said originally, it does largely depend how they want to divide their
    time between cycling and resting / sight-seeing.

    I agree, even going out for a simple pootle, I rarely do less than 30
    miles and often do 50 or 60 miles, I would expect to cover 80 to 100
    miles a day if touring seriously.

    That depends on the nature of the touring and the terrain. If I am
    taking camping gear and the terrain is hilly then even 60 miles is a
    big day. On the other hand, lightweight 'credit card' touring in gentle
    terrain could be 100 mile days.

    ...d

  14. passing tyke said:

    Comments / advice / suggestions wanted.

    My friend and I are planning a short cycling holiday.

    <snip>

    Thanks to all who responded - plenty of food for thought there and
    we'll get some of the suggested maps and books for more details.
    I think we might plan on 40 miles a day, start from Norwich, up
    through the broads and then west along the coast to King's Lynn.
    Sound OK?

    And where exactly can we go swimming?

  15. "pasing tyke" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    passing tyke said:

    Comments / advice / suggestions wanted.

    My friend and I are planning a short cycling holiday.

    <snip>

    Thanks to all who responded - plenty of food for thought there and
    we'll get some of the suggested maps and books for more details.
    I think we might plan on 40 miles a day, start from Norwich, up
    through the broads and then west along the coast to King's Lynn.
    Sound OK?

    And where exactly can we go swimming?

    Well there is this fairly large body of water called the North Sea...

    Cheers, helen s

  16. Dave Kahn said:

    It can be, but people are often surprised that what they thought were
    ambitious target mileages are achieved hours earlier than expected. But
    as I said originally, it does largely depend how they want to divide
    their time between cycling and resting / sight-seeing.

    Route choice plays a large role as well. If you follow an NCN route and
    spent a lot of time opening gates, pushing your bike up offroad vertical
    bits, or just riding on muddy trails, that all slows you down a lot.

    Roos

  17. wafflycat said:


    "pasing tyke" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:


    And where exactly can we go swimming?

    Well there is this fairly large body of water called the North Sea...

    Although don't be fooled by names such as Wells next the Sea and Holme
    next the Sea which aren't!

    --
    Tony

    "I did make a mistake once - I thought I'd made a mistake but I hadn't"
    Anon

  18. "Tony Raven" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    wafflycat said:


    "pasing tyke" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:


    And where exactly can we go swimming?

    Well there is this fairly large body of water called the North Sea...

    Although don't be fooled by names such as Wells next the Sea and Holme
    next the Sea which aren't!

    These days Wells is indeed, next the sea - a short walk indeed, only a mile,
    as I have walked there on many an occasion. See
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/norfolk/content/articles/2005/06/13/coast05_beach_guide_wells_feature.shtml
    I have dabbled my feet in the water here.

    Holme is also not exactly miles and miles form the Sea :-)

    A web site about cycling in Norfolk is at
    http://www.visitnorfolk.co.uk/norfolk/candw.htm

    Cheers, helen s

  19. wafflycat said:


    "Tony Raven" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Although don't be fooled by names such as Wells next the Sea and
    Holme next the Sea which aren't!

    These days Wells is indeed, next the sea - a short walk indeed, only
    a mile, as I have walked there on many an occasion. See
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/norfolk/content/articles/2005/06/13/coast05_beach_guide_wells_feature.shtml
    I have dabbled my feet in the water here.

    In my dictionary (OED) "next" means "being or positioned or living
    nearest" which isn't a mile an a half away along a road and across the
    sands from the lifeboat station. In our family its known as Wells next
    the Salt Marsh! YMMV. ;-)

    --
    Tony

    "I did make a mistake once - I thought I'd made a mistake but I hadn't"
    Anon

  20. Tony Raven said:
    Quoted message said:

    In my dictionary (OED) "next" means "being or positioned or living
    nearest" which isn't a mile an a half away along a road and across the
    sands from the lifeboat station. In our family its known as Wells next
    the Salt Marsh! YMMV. ;-)

    Or Wells-next-the-Mud when the tide is out.
    French's chippy is good, though.

    Blakeney point is shingly, Brancaster sandy (and a fantastic wide
    hard-packed surface that's used by kite buggys). Best in the week -
    can get rather busy at weekends. Holkham is also popular, but not
    suitable for the easily-embarrassed.

    -adrian

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.