General fitness, health and nutrition ยท Public discussion

Advise please re foot burn

Started by Janet ยท ยท Last activity ยท 8 posts ยท 431 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
21 May 2005
Last activity
26 May 2005
Original author
Janet
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
431
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1โ€“8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hello

    Bit of an essay coming up - sorry ๐Ÿ™‚

    I am new to this group and although not new to walking, (learnt as a baby) I
    am suddenly getting a lot keener.

    Background: For years I have been walking the dogs in the country for
    usually an hour a go (usually wearing wellies, trainers or deck shoes) and
    spend considerable time walking on pavements when working in London (wearing
    ladies low heeled shoes). Also been up that high mountain in Madeira wearing
    trainers and joined my friend for the final two days of her Wainwright walk.
    I can't confess to having too many problems, except horribly wet feet
    sometimes and filthy trainers!

    Anyway to get to the point. I finally decided (cos I was going to Walk the
    Wight last Sunday, 26 miles and they have hills there as well) that I would
    buy the 'proper gear' so .............. after trying on, (and testing at
    home) umpteen boots from my local outdoor clothing shop I settled on a
    Brasher Hillmasters. They sort of felt a trifle hard underneath, but that
    was all. I followed the fitting instructions about wearing socks and
    standing up with laces undone and being able to get a finger down the back
    of the boots. I am normally a size 4 but cause of the hiking socks I needed
    a 5. I wore them round the house for a few days then set off with the dogs
    round the country lanes and tracks. Walks ranging from 20 minutes (bout a
    mile) to 2 hours - 6 miles at my speed, and its flattish here, (yeh, I know
    I am slow). But I am four stones overweight .... that's a handicap ๐Ÿ™‚

    First the toes on my left foot felt as if they were burning, and then the
    right foot, then it would seem ok and some times both feet burning (bit
    inconsistent my feet). The bottom of the boots inside often seem to be
    quite hard. If I can chat and take my mind from it, its manageable. Anyway
    I did the 26 miles last Sunday. No blisters since buying the boots so guess
    they DO fit correctly, but I could not wait to get those boots off. My feet
    were roasting and the soles of my feet were 'white' and felt very 'pins and
    needles'. I have walked the dogs in them since - last night out for a
    couple of hours and it was not painful, but unpleasant. All was ok, once we
    got to the pub and took the weight off feet; walking to the loo felt quite
    cushioned as I suppose it should have.

    I have tried with one pair hiking socks (thick and not so thick) and with
    and without lining socks that wick. Also with and without talcum powder on
    feet.

    Any ideas please.

    Incidentally, my partner also purchased Hillmasters when I did and although
    he got blisters whilst breaking them in he says his feet are lovely and cool
    (despite the fact that he normally suffers from hot feet) and the boots are
    comfortable

  2. Bitstring <[email hidden]>, from the wonderful
    person Janet <[email hidden]> said
    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    Any ideas please.

    Things to try:

    Change the footbeds (aka 'insoles'๐Ÿ˜‰ to something in the sorbothane /
    cosyfeet line.

    Change socks (Smartwool or Bridgedale, just one pair. If you're on just
    one pair, try two thinner pairs.).

    What works for me - stop after about 13 miles, undo boots, check socks,
    discover they are pretty damp (damn Goretex linings!), change socks for
    spare pair in bumbag, walk another 13 miles, no problem. Feet going
    white is generally a sign of a) damp or b) poor circulation (laces too
    tight maybe?).

    26 miles is pushing your luck anyway if you are overweight. &/or not
    terribly fit. Dump a few stone and try again. I know you didn't want to
    hear that, but actually it's sadly true - feet were designed (by
    evolution/god) for a half starving savage to chase deer across the
    Serengeti or something.

    HTH

    --
    GSV Three Minds in a Can
    Contact recommends the use of Firefox; SC recommends it at gunpoint.

  3. Janet said:

    Hello

    Bit of an essay coming up - sorry ๐Ÿ™‚

    I am new to this group and although not new to walking, (learnt as a baby) I
    am suddenly getting a lot keener.

    Background: For years I have been walking the dogs in the country for
    usually an hour a go (usually wearing wellies, trainers or deck shoes) and
    spend considerable time walking on pavements when working in London (wearing
    ladies low heeled shoes). Also been up that high mountain in Madeira wearing
    trainers and joined my friend for the final two days of her Wainwright walk.
    I can't confess to having too many problems, except horribly wet feet
    sometimes and filthy trainers!

    Anyway to get to the point. I finally decided (cos I was going to Walk the
    Wight last Sunday, 26 miles and they have hills there as well) that I would
    buy the 'proper gear' so .............. after trying on, (and testing at
    home) umpteen boots from my local outdoor clothing shop I settled on a
    Brasher Hillmasters. They sort of felt a trifle hard underneath, but that
    was all. I followed the fitting instructions about wearing socks and
    standing up with laces undone and being able to get a finger down the back
    of the boots. I am normally a size 4 but cause of the hiking socks I needed
    a 5. I wore them round the house for a few days then set off with the dogs
    round the country lanes and tracks. Walks ranging from 20 minutes (bout a
    mile) to 2 hours - 6 miles at my speed, and its flattish here, (yeh, I know
    I am slow). But I am four stones overweight .... that's a handicap ๐Ÿ™‚

    First the toes on my left foot felt as if they were burning, and then the
    right foot, then it would seem ok and some times both feet burning (bit
    inconsistent my feet). The bottom of the boots inside often seem to be
    quite hard. If I can chat and take my mind from it, its manageable. Anyway
    I did the 26 miles last Sunday. No blisters since buying the boots so guess
    they DO fit correctly, but I could not wait to get those boots off. My feet
    were roasting and the soles of my feet were 'white' and felt very 'pins and
    needles'. I have walked the dogs in them since - last night out for a
    couple of hours and it was not painful, but unpleasant. All was ok, once we
    got to the pub and took the weight off feet; walking to the loo felt quite
    cushioned as I suppose it should have.

    I have tried with one pair hiking socks (thick and not so thick) and with
    and without lining socks that wick. Also with and without talcum powder on
    feet.

    Any ideas please.

    Incidentally, my partner also purchased Hillmasters when I did and although
    he got blisters whilst breaking them in he says his feet are lovely and cool
    (despite the fact that he normally suffers from hot feet) and the boots are
    comfortable


    I totally agree that it could be the footbed in the boot, there is a
    company that make a gel insole for a boot, that molds to your foot,
    there name has gone from my mind at the moment but I am sure someone
    here will know what I'm talking about and give you there name.

    Eddy

  4. In article <[email hidden]>, GSV Three Minds in a Can
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    Bitstring <[email hidden]>, from the
    wonderful person Janet <[email hidden]> said
    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    The 'hot feet' is not confined to a long walk, they burn during short 20
    minutes walks . I am going to try the footbeds that you and others have
    suggested.

    If it happens after 20 minutes, that probably lets out damp as an
    issue, since there's no way that should become a problem that fast.

    I wish I could remember the name of the book -but a pal of mine showed
    me a picture in the book which is all about walkers' foot problems, in
    which the whole sole was covered in a medical adhesive material which I
    think was of micropore construction. This was a bit extreme but it
    provided an intermediate layer thus saving the friction on the sole of
    the foot.

    If there are definite areas of your feet which burn, I suggest some
    Vaseline covered lint applied then taped on with fabric strapping. This
    may only be an intermediate solution until something more permanent is
    found.
    --
    Bill Grey
    http://www.billboy.co.uk

  5. In article <[email hidden]>, Janet
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    Anyway, further update on the flipping Brashers, newly purchased at cost of
    ยฃ100. This evening went for 5 miler with the dog. At one point had to sit
    on the grass and take them off. Any road work is becoming excruitiating.
    Toes were burning like mad. I am wondering if they are maybe not wide
    enough, therefore squashing my toes. But the moment I stop walking and sit
    down they feel quite cosy. So GSV could have the right idea; I should go
    have my feet properly measured. Never had this problem with any other
    footware.

    When you put the boots on and then push your foot to the front, can you
    get two fingers between the back of the boot and your heel?

    If not then the boots are too small.
    --
    Bill Grey
    http://www.billboy.co.uk

  6. "W. D. Grey" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, Janet
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    Anyway, further update on the flipping Brashers, newly purchased at cost
    of
    ยฃ100. This evening went for 5 miler with the dog. At one point had to
    sit
    on the grass and take them off. Any road work is becoming excruitiating.
    Toes were burning like mad. I am wondering if they are maybe not wide
    enough, therefore squashing my toes. But the moment I stop walking and sit
    down they feel quite cosy. So GSV could have the right idea; I should go
    have my feet properly measured. Never had this problem with any other
    footware.

    When you put the boots on and then push your foot to the front, can you
    get two fingers between the back of the boot and your heel?

    If not then the boots are too small.

    Yes I can do that - tested that at the shop as per the instructions from the
    proprietor. Tried boots this a.m. for a shortish walk - 20 minutes and just
    wore one pair of think coolmax socks - all was ok - so will try a longer
    one.

  7. (Whilst hunting down arch supports for an entirely different problem... )

    Just seen that "Dr Foot" has words to say about "Burning feet" (see...

    http://www.drfoot.co.uk/burn.htm

    .....

    I have no idea if "Dr Foot" is OK or yet another of the many charlatans ging
    on about feet (see above,.... )

    Regards
    Rab
    "Janet" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "W. D. Grey" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, Janet
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    Anyway, further update on the flipping Brashers, newly purchased at cost
    of
    ยฃ100. This evening went for 5 miler with the dog. At one point had to
    sit
    on the grass and take them off. Any road work is becoming excruitiating.
    Toes were burning like mad. I am wondering if they are maybe not wide
    enough, therefore squashing my toes. But the moment I stop walking and
    sit
    down they feel quite cosy. So GSV could have the right idea; I should go
    have my feet properly measured. Never had this problem with any other
    footware.

    When you put the boots on and then push your foot to the front, can you
    get two fingers between the back of the boot and your heel?

    If not then the boots are too small.

    Yes I can do that - tested that at the shop as per the instructions from
    the proprietor. Tried boots this a.m. for a shortish walk - 20 minutes
    and just wore one pair of think coolmax socks - all was ok - so will try a
    longer one.

  8. Rab C Nesbitt said:

    I have no idea if "Dr Foot" is OK or yet another of the many charlatans ging
    on about feet (see above,.... )

    I've come across the site when I was suffering from plantar fascitis.
    It seems to have been well indexed so that it pops up in the results
    if you enter vague symptoms. It gives a useful summary and potential
    diagnosis enabling you to do further research. I ignored the products
    it was selling and found some much better sites once I realised what I
    was suffering from.

    Daytona

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users ยท 0 guests ยท0 bots ยท0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.