Aero Wheelsets under $1500

Raffy Varona

Oct 4, 2011
Okay, I have a challenge. Which company produces aero carbon wheelsets for under $1500? Williams Cycling is the best deal I can find so far, so what other manufacturers are out there? I don't want any foreign Asian manufacturers. Only European and American manufacturers. Thanks for yall's help!

Raffy Varona said:
Okay, I have a challenge. Which company produces aero carbon wheelsets for under $1500? Williams Cycling is the best deal I can find so far, so what other manufacturers are out there? I don't want any foreign Asian manufacturers. Only European and American manufacturers. Thanks for yall's help!
many ( if not all !! ) european and american branded stuff are made in Asia, p.s. i saw a new and unbranded set of carbon wheels for a ridiculously low price, made in china of course

Hi Raffy Varona, do you a clinchers or singles (Tubular)?

Clincher with AL brake track ... http://www.bikesoul.com/2009/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=50&Itemid=66

PS: sorry fully read your post after I posted ... these are Asian (and what vspa said) :)

but try these guys ...

http://fairwheelbikes.com/custom-handbuilt-wheel-quote-p-2036.html
http://www.psimet.com/Wheels/carbon-wheels.html
http://www.circusbike.com/

Originally Posted by Raffy Varona .

Damn! Just when you think folks couldn't get any more ignorant. European manufacturers aren't foreign? (Presuming you're an American, of course.) You'll purchase from a non-foreign Asian-American manufacturer? Or what - you're simply bigoted against Asians? Where do you think the rims and hubs for Williams' wheels are manufactured???

The components for Williams wheels are made in China... along with American Classic and Boyd. If I recall correctly, they're just hand assembled over here. IIRC,

HED's Jet line of wheels also comprises of parts made over seas too. There's nothing wrong with that as long as the bits and pieces are adequately manufactured in China, the H3 ever since it's acquisition from Specialized, has always been made in Spain but unless you eBay a used set you're not going to hit that $1500 limit. The Stingers - not sure about those parts as there was talk of them being made in the US.

As far as I'm aware, Zipp is the only company that designs, builds and assembles it's parts in the US with the exception of the Sapim cx-ray spokes...

Just curious - what frame are these wheels gonna reside in?

Raffy Varona said:
I think you will be SOL when it comes to finding a CF wheel set that costs less than $1500 with rims not made in the Far East. You might consider the old style Zipp 404 clinchers. They have an alloy brake track. They can be had for around $1500. You should also consider one of the Mavic Cosmic Carbone versions. Again, the clinchers of the older or lower level Carbones have alloy brake tracks. They can be had for a price in the range you're looking at, but I am not certain of where the CF cap for their Carbones is made. I don't think it's made in the Far East, but I could be wrong. Reynolds wheels might be an option, although I don't know if their production was moved from Mexico to the Far East or not. Xentis in Austria makes some very nice wheels in Austria. They may be a bit more expensive than what you like, but I think they would be worth it. Again, they make their own wheels in Austria, and they get very nice reviews.

DT Swiss are design and made in Switzerland, for example the RC line, anyway what i see in videos about Carbon Fiber is that it takes a lot of men hours to do all the process, so im guessing that the USA and European companies provide all the technology, the design, the molds and the supplies for the Asian people to work on them, there must be also skilled supervisors and project managers on the premises, etc. Quality is great in the end result,

vspa said:
DT Swiss are design and made in Switzerland, anyway what i see in videos about Carbon Fiber is that it takes a lot of men hours to do all the process, so im guessing that the USA and European companies provide all the technology, the design the molds and the supplies for the Asian people to assemble everything, there must be also skilled supervisors and project managers on the premises, etc. Quality is great in the end result,
Unless DT Swiss has changed things, their CF rims are made by Reynolds.

Hi Raffy Varona, I do not have a Williams wheelset (as yet), but from all the reports I have read, you won't be disappointed with Williams or

PSIMET who can offer a full carbon tubular for $699 and clincher for $799 using ... They also offer premium carbon rims factory direct from ENVE Composites, which they to be the singular best high end carbon fiber rim currently available on the market today ... period :)
  • Clincher- 50mm front, 58mm rear - Multiple Drillings. Full carbon. New design! 2011!
  • Tubular - 50mm front and rear. Multiple Drillings.

KLabs said:
ENVE Composites, which they to be the singular best high end carbon fiber rim currently available on the market today ... period   :)
  • Clincher- 50mm front, 58mm rear - Multiple Drillings.  Full carbon. New design! 2011!
  • Tubular - 50mm front and rear.  Multiple Drillings.  
FWIW, an Enve wheel set or or a wheel set built up with Enve rims will go way past $1500. Enve does online sales so their rims are available to everyone. Right now, Enve and Zipp are making the nicest CF aero wheels.

Hi alienator, you did not read the post very well, did you. Perhaps that's why you responded as you did :)

... the $699 and clincher for $799 refers does not refer to Enve rims, but to the PSIMET Custom Carbon Fiber Rims :)
  • Clincher- 50mm front, 58mm rear - Multiple Drillings. Full carbon. New design! 2011!

To clarify, you can all have a read here ... http://www.psimet.com/Wheels/carbon-wheels.html

PSIMET QUOTE ... At PSIMET we can custom configure your ENVE rims with any spoke and hub combination or lacing at our disposal. I made a personal promise to ENVE that I would not remove their decals and I stick to my word so while I can't customize your decals on your ENVE rims I CAN powder coat your spokes for a fee! Just ask!

KLabs said:
Hi alienator, you did not read the post very well, did you. Perhaps that's why you responded as you did :)
... the $699 and clincher for $799 refers does not refer to Enve rims, but to the PSIMET Custom Carbon Fiber Rims :)

To clarify, you can all have a read here ... http://www.psimet.com/Wheels/carbon-wheels.html
PSIMET QUOTE ... At PSIMET we can custom configure your ENVE rims with any spoke and hub combination or lacing at our disposal. I made a personal promise to ENVE that I would not remove their decals and I stick to my word so while I can't customize your decals on your ENVE rims I CAN powder coat your spokes for a fee! Just ask!
I read it just fine, thank you. I was just commenting on the price of Enve wheels. You know, it's entirely possible the OP wasn't aware of how pricey Enve rims are. Anybody can order Enve rims and customize with the spokes and hubs of their choice. Likewise, anyone can customize their decals. Apparently, you completely misinterpreted my post. Perhaps you don't understand English as well as you thought.

Williams Cycling ... http://www.williamscycling.com/sys38_clincher.html or http://www.williamscycling.com/sys58_clincher.html ... $999

Hi Alienator, can they, fair enough, sounds good, hahaha!
Yes, Enve are expensive (too pricey for me, at this time), but apparently they are very good ...
Perhaps, you could point us all to another wheel builder that builds wheels with Enve rims ... thanks /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

Hi Raffy Varona, what have you decided to do :)

KLabs said:

Hi Alienator, can they, fair enough.  Perhaps, you could point us all to another wheel builder that builds wheels with Enve rims  ...  thanks /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

Hi Raffy Varona, back OT, what have you decided to do   :)

Easy: Wheelbuilder.com, Fair Wheel Bikes, and Ergott Wheels. Even easier: go to the Enve webpage and discover that you can order rims straight from Enve. Yes, Klabs, even you can do it. In fact, today I stood in Fair Wheel Bike's shop and held a front rim from the Enve SES 6.7 series in my hand. I saw at least 6 Enve rims waiting to be built up. Only the SES 3.4 rims are not yet available on the Enve website. They will be. Psimet is not special in being able to get Enve rims. Not at all.

Originally Posted by alienator .

Easy: Wheelbuilder.com, Fair Wheel Bikes, and Ergott Wheels. Even easier: go to the Enve webpage and discover that you can order rims straight from Enve. Yes, Klabs, even you can do it. In fact, today I stood in Fair Wheel Bike's shop and held a front rim from the Enve SES 6.7 series in my hand. I saw at least 6 Enve rims waiting to be built up. Only the SES 3.4 rims are not yet available on the Enve website. They will be. Psimet is not special in being able to get Enve rims. Not at all.
Hi Alienator, excellent, that should be enough for Raffy Varona ... thanks /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

WOW!!! THANKS ALIENATOR!!!! Wheelbuilder.com is sooo much easier than finding wheelsets for my budget! Thank you all for your help!

Don't forget to let us know and then show us your wheels and completed bike. Have fun!

Will do! I'll probably spend more than $1500 on road wheels. Can't wait to see it on my BMC Pro Machine!
Anyone have the audacity to tell the OP where the BMC Pro Machine is manufactured?
Xenophobes - gotta love 'em.../img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif