Ah, Activity Points - skiing in Seattle (G)

Ice falls are no laughing matter. Extend my best wishes for a speedy recovery.

On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 17:51:51 GMT, "Donna in Idaho \(remove invalid\)"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Yes, do be extra careful. My DH fell on the snow covered ice Friday morning and broke 2 ribs. He
>will now be sleeping in his recliner for the next 4 to 6 weeks. He just can't up and down out of
>bed - makes enough faces & grimaces just trying to get in and out of his chair.

Prairie Roots
232/167/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

I hope your husband feels better soon!!

What part of Idaho are you in?

--
Janice
263/252/150 (maybe 130)

"Donna in Idaho (remove invalid)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Yes, do be extra careful. My DH fell on the snow covered ice Friday
morning
> and broke 2 ribs. He will now be sleeping in his recliner for the next 4
> 6 weeks. He just can't up and down out of bed - makes enough faces & grimaces just trying to get
> in and out of his chair.
> --
> Donna in Idaho! Project Linus Boise/SW Idaho Coordinator Website: http://donnakwilts.tripod.com/
> The ultimate inspiration is the deadline!
>
> Remove ".remove.invalid" to reply
>

> "Miss Violette" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> berlin.de...
> > please be careful, Lee Janice Kennish <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > We got a little over 6 inches in Olympia!! No skiing for me though--I
> did
> > > go out and walk though so I got some exercise!!!! Now it's freezing
> rain
> > > and boy are the roads bad here--I'm thinking my vacation will be
> extended
> > > again one more day--I think I'm about ready to go back though!!!
> > >
> > > --
> > > Janice
> > > 263/252/150 (maybe 130)
> > >

> > > "Fred" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...

I hope he heals quickly, that is just miserable, Lee
Donna in Idaho (remove invalid) <[email protected]> wrote
in message news:[email protected]...
> Yes, do be extra careful. My DH fell on the snow covered ice Friday
morning
> and broke 2 ribs. He will now be sleeping in his recliner for the next 4
> 6 weeks. He just can't up and down out of bed - makes enough faces & grimaces just trying to get
> in and out of his chair.
> --
> Donna in Idaho! Project Linus Boise/SW Idaho Coordinator Website: http://donnakwilts.tripod.com/
> The ultimate inspiration is the deadline!
>
> Remove ".remove.invalid" to reply
>

> "Miss Violette" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> berlin.de...
> > please be careful, Lee Janice Kennish <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > We got a little over 6 inches in Olympia!! No skiing for me though--I
> did
> > > go out and walk though so I got some exercise!!!! Now it's freezing
> rain
> > > and boy are the roads bad here--I'm thinking my vacation will be
> extended
> > > again one more day--I think I'm about ready to go back though!!!
> > >
> > > --
> > > Janice
> > > 263/252/150 (maybe 130)
> > >

> > > "Fred" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...

glad you are OK, and sorry it got canceled. Lee
Fred <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Well, I did manage to get out today - to attend my CANCELLED WW meeting. I called the 800 number
> twice and each time, including 1/2 hour before and told it was on. I drove up there through slush
> to find it closed. Actually, it looked like the little shopping center it is located in had no
> power - there are a lot of lines down due to the snow weighted down by the rain water on trees.
>
> Driving was not great but nothing like yesterday.
>
> 34F and slushy everywhere.
>
> On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 21:40:00 -0600, Prairie Roots <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Hang in there, Joyce. You have one more day of bitter cold and then the temps start to
> >rise again.
> >
> >I'm not sure which is worse, these below zero temps and wind chills or the freezing torrents
> >in the Pacific Northwest. Believe it or not, I think I'll stay where I am. At least the roads
> >are dry.
> >
> >On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 14:40:33 -0600, Joyce <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >>... or you could come here and go skating. <g>
> >>
> >>I was trying to be nice this morning, thought I would warm the vehicle
up for dd
> >>before she headed off to school. Got to the bottom of the front stairs
and was
> >>greeted by solid ice ... everywhere. Slowly made it to the car,
thermometer
> >>inside said it was -3F (-19C). Well no wonder everything is frozen
solid! We
> >>reached a high of 5F this afternoon ... brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I checked in
with sonny
> >>boy, he said it is -8F at his school. We both decided we are staying in
where
> >>it's warm (somewhat).
> >>
> >>Have a great time skiing!
> >>
> >>Joyce

> >Prairie Roots
> >232/167/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

we aren't getting snow here but it is - 34 with the wind and tomorrow it's going to be - 44 this is
are coldest days of the winter yet.

angie "Donna in Idaho (remove invalid)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Yes, do be extra careful. My DH fell on the snow covered ice Friday
morning
> and broke 2 ribs. He will now be sleeping in his recliner for the next 4
> 6 weeks. He just can't up and down out of bed - makes enough faces & grimaces just trying to get
> in and out of his chair.
> --
> Donna in Idaho! Project Linus Boise/SW Idaho Coordinator Website: http://donnakwilts.tripod.com/
> The ultimate inspiration is the deadline!
>
> Remove ".remove.invalid" to reply
>

> "Miss Violette" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> berlin.de...
> > please be careful, Lee Janice Kennish <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > We got a little over 6 inches in Olympia!! No skiing for me though--I
> did
> > > go out and walk though so I got some exercise!!!! Now it's freezing
> rain
> > > and boy are the roads bad here--I'm thinking my vacation will be
> extended
> > > again one more day--I think I'm about ready to go back though!!!
> > >
> > > --
> > > Janice
> > > 263/252/150 (maybe 130)
> > >

> > > "Fred" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...

Unfortunately, from what I understand, WW Centers do NOT have phones. You need to call an 800 number
and then get a real live person and tell them zip code and then which center that they identify. I
figured my leader was the tough type and having already had two official closings for the prior
holidays, wanted to hold the meeting. And, I guess, that after two weeks, I probably wanted an
official weight to see how I'm doing in THEIR terms. Also, unlike some of the online/etools/do-it-
yourself types, I don't have a standard to use to post for the challenges. Maybe I should adopt my
own standard from now on and use it rather than the WW version???? But I'm certainly not going for
an average - too many numbers to enter and divide (G) even it it were a better overall indicator????

On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 16:58:16 -0600, Prairie Roots <[email protected]> wrote:

>A power outage might also explain the absence of a message on the answering machine announcing the
>cancellation. I'm gonna cast my vote for cold temps and dry roads over near-freezing temps and ic-
>covered roads. I've spun out on a bridge in just those conditions, totalling my car. Thankfully,
>due to seat belts, I walked away without a scrape or a bruise. But whenever I'm on roads that
>appear to be the slightest bit icy, I head back home. If I want those kind of thrills, I can go on
>one of the rides at the Mall of America.
>
>On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 11:00:46 -0800, Fred <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Well, I did manage to get out today - to attend my CANCELLED WW meeting. I called the 800 number
>>twice and each time, including 1/2 hour before and told it was on. I drove up there through slush
>>to find it closed. Actually, it looked like the little shopping center it is located in had no
>>power - there are a lot of lines down due to the snow weighted down by the rain water on trees.
>>
>>Driving was not great but nothing like yesterday.
>>
>>34F and slushy everywhere.
>>
>>On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 21:40:00 -0600, Prairie Roots <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>Hang in there, Joyce. You have one more day of bitter cold and then the temps start to
>>>rise again.
>>>
>>>I'm not sure which is worse, these below zero temps and wind chills or the freezing torrents
>>>in the Pacific Northwest. Believe it or not, I think I'll stay where I am. At least the roads
>>>are dry.

>>>Prairie Roots
>>>232/167/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003
>
>Prairie Roots
>232/167/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

I've generally maintained that the snow here is usually sliperier (hey, editor I can use some help
here (G)) than it was back east due to its wetter nature. Less traction than on nice dry snow.

On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 16:58:16 -0600, Prairie Roots <[email protected]> wrote:

>A power outage might also explain the absence of a message on the answering machine announcing the
>cancellation. I'm gonna cast my vote for cold temps and dry roads over near-freezing temps and ic-
>covered roads. I've spun out on a bridge in just those conditions, totalling my car. Thankfully,
>due to seat belts, I walked away without a scrape or a bruise. But whenever I'm on roads that
>appear to be the slightest bit icy, I head back home. If I want those kind of thrills, I can go on
>one of the rides at the Mall of America.
>
>On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 11:00:46 -0800, Fred <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Well, I did manage to get out today - to attend my CANCELLED WW meeting. I called the 800 number
>>twice and each time, including 1/2 hour before and told it was on. I drove up there through slush
>>to find it closed. Actually, it looked like the little shopping center it is located in had no
>>power - there are a lot of lines down due to the snow weighted down by the rain water on trees.
>>
>>Driving was not great but nothing like yesterday.
>>
>>34F and slushy everywhere.
>>
>>On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 21:40:00 -0600, Prairie Roots <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>Hang in there, Joyce. You have one more day of bitter cold and then the temps start to
>>>rise again.
>>>
>>>I'm not sure which is worse, these below zero temps and wind chills or the freezing torrents
>>>in the Pacific Northwest. Believe it or not, I think I'll stay where I am. At least the roads
>>>are dry.

>>>Prairie Roots
>>>232/167/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003
>
>Prairie Roots
>232/167/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

Southwestern Idaho - 45 miles west of Boise, just one mile from the Oregon state line near the small
town of Wilder.

--

"Janice Kennish" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:uk1Lb.761264$HS4.6016568@attbi_s01...
> I hope your husband feels better soon!!
>
> What part of Idaho are you in?
>
> --
> Janice
> 263/252/150 (maybe 130)
>

> "Donna in Idaho (remove invalid)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Yes, do be extra careful. My DH fell on the snow covered ice Friday
> morning
> > and broke 2 ribs. He will now be sleeping in his recliner for the next
> > 6 weeks. He just can't up and down out of bed - makes enough faces & grimaces just trying to get
> > in and out of his chair.
> > --
> > Donna in Idaho! Project Linus Boise/SW Idaho Coordinator Website: http://donnakwilts.tripod.com/
> > The ultimate inspiration is the deadline!
> >
> > Remove ".remove.invalid" to reply
> >

> > "Miss Violette" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> > berlin.de...
> > > please be careful, Lee Janice Kennish <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > did
> > rain
> > extended

> the

Oh wow Angie, those are some extremely frigid temps! I do hope you are bundled up well when
having to walk to work. In those temps, it doesn't take long to encounter problems. Please stay
warm, and safe!

Joyce

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 07:48:23 -0500, "Anglea Woollcombe" <[email protected]> wrote:

>we aren't getting snow here but it is - 34 with the wind and tomorrow it's going to be - 44 this is
>are coldest days of the winter yet.
>
>angie "Donna in Idaho (remove invalid)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> Yes, do be extra careful. My DH fell on the snow covered ice Friday
>morning
>> and broke 2 ribs. He will now be sleeping in his recliner for the next 4
>> 6 weeks. He just can't up and down out of bed - makes enough faces & grimaces just trying to get
>> in and out of his chair.
>> --
>> Donna in Idaho! Project Linus Boise/SW Idaho Coordinator Website: http://donnakwilts.tripod.com/
>> The ultimate inspiration is the deadline!
>>
>> Remove ".remove.invalid" to reply
>>

>> "Miss Violette" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
>> berlin.de...
>> > please be careful, Lee Janice Kennish <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> did
>> rain
>> extended

>the

I can definitely the need/desire for an official WI when that's been your standard methodology. I'd
be that way too if I were a meeting attendee. To miss 3 WIs now must be frustrating indeed. Fingers
are crossed that next week there won't be anything standing between you and that official scale. <G>

It is unfortunate that your local WW doesn't have a better way of communicating emergency closures
than just letting people find locked doors. Here, where weather closures are somewhat expected, or
at least anticipated, several radio and TV stations run public service announcements listing school
and business closings and event or meeting cancellations.

On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 18:47:08 -0800, Fred <[email protected]> wrote:

>Unfortunately, from what I understand, WW Centers do NOT have phones. You need to call an 800
>number and then get a real live person and tell them zip code and then which center that they
>identify. I figured my leader was the tough type and having already had two official closings for
>the prior holidays, wanted to hold the meeting. And, I guess, that after two weeks, I probably
>wanted an official weight to see how I'm doing in THEIR terms. Also, unlike some of the online/etools/do-it-
>yourself types, I don't have a standard to use to post for the challenges. Maybe I should adopt my
>own standard from now on and use it rather than the WW version???? But I'm certainly not going for
>an average - too many numbers to enter and divide (G) even it it were a better overall
>indicator????
>
>On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 16:58:16 -0600, Prairie Roots <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>A power outage might also explain the absence of a message on the answering machine announcing the
>>cancellation. I'm gonna cast my vote for cold temps and dry roads over near-freezing temps and ic-
>>covered roads. I've spun out on a bridge in just those conditions, totalling my car. Thankfully,
>>due to seat belts, I walked away without a scrape or a bruise. But whenever I'm on roads that
>>appear to be the slightest bit icy, I head back home. If I want those kind of thrills, I can go on
>>one of the rides at the Mall of America.
>>
>>On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 11:00:46 -0800, Fred <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>Well, I did manage to get out today - to attend my CANCELLED WW meeting. I called the 800 number
>>>twice and each time, including 1/2 hour before and told it was on. I drove up there through slush
>>>to find it closed. Actually, it looked like the little shopping center it is located in had no
>>>power - there are a lot of lines down due to the snow weighted down by the rain water on trees.
>>>
>>>Driving was not great but nothing like yesterday.
>>>
>>>34F and slushy everywhere.

>>Prairie Roots
>>232/167/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

Prairie Roots
232/167/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

That 800 number is located in Kansas City, Kansas.

Sandy

> Unfortunately, from what I understand, WW Centers do NOT have phones. You need to call an 800
> number and then get a real live person and tell them zip code and then which center that they
> identify. I figured my leader was the tough type and having already had two official closings for
> the prior holidays, wanted to hold the meeting. And, I guess, that after two weeks, I probably
> wanted an official weight to see how I'm doing in THEIR terms. Also, unlike some of the online/etools/do-it-
> yourself types, I don't have a standard to use to post for the challenges. Maybe I should adopt my
> own standard from now on and use it rather than the WW version???? But I'm certainly not going for
> an average - too many numbers to enter and divide (G) even it it were a better overall
> indicator????
>
> On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 16:58:16 -0600, Prairie Roots <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >A power outage might also explain the absence of a message on the answering machine announcing
> >the cancellation. I'm gonna cast my vote for cold temps and dry roads over near-freezing temps
> >and ic-covered roads. I've spun out on a bridge in just those conditions, totalling my car.
> >Thankfully, due to seat belts, I walked away without a scrape or a bruise. But whenever I'm on
> >roads that appear to be the slightest bit icy, I head back home. If I want those kind of thrills,
> >I can go on one of the rides at the Mall of America.
> >
> >On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 11:00:46 -0800, Fred <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >>Well, I did manage to get out today - to attend my CANCELLED WW meeting. I called the 800 number
> >>twice and each time, including 1/2 hour before and told it was on. I drove up there through
> >>slush to find it closed. Actually, it looked like the little shopping center it is located in
> >>had no power - there are a lot of lines down due to the snow weighted down by the rain water on
> >>trees.
> >>
> >>Driving was not great but nothing like yesterday.
> >>
> >>34F and slushy everywhere.

> >Prairie Roots
> >232/167/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

What you say about the snow being slipperier there than here makes sense. But it's that freezing
rain you got--the kind that's wet when it leaves the clouds but freezes on contact with surfaces,
turning roads and walkways into sheets of ice--that scares the bejeezus out of me. Really, I'm even
more irrational than normal on the topic of icy roads.

On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 18:49:55 -0800, Fred <[email protected]> wrote:

>I've generally maintained that the snow here is usually sliperier (hey, editor I can use some help
>here (G)) than it was back east due to its wetter nature. Less traction than on nice dry snow.
>

>On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 16:58:16 -0600, Prairie Roots <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>A power outage might also explain the absence of a message on the answering machine announcing the
>>cancellation. I'm gonna cast my vote for cold temps and dry roads over near-freezing temps and ic-
>>covered roads. I've spun out on a bridge in just those conditions, totalling my car. Thankfully,
>>due to seat belts, I walked away without a scrape or a bruise. But whenever I'm on roads that
>>appear to be the slightest bit icy, I head back home. If I want those kind of thrills, I can go on
>>one of the rides at the Mall of America.
>>
>>On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 11:00:46 -0800, Fred <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>Well, I did manage to get out today - to attend my CANCELLED WW meeting. I called the 800 number
>>>twice and each time, including 1/2 hour before and told it was on. I drove up there through slush
>>>to find it closed. Actually, it looked like the little shopping center it is located in had no
>>>power - there are a lot of lines down due to the snow weighted down by the rain water on trees.
>>>
>>>Driving was not great but nothing like yesterday.
>>>
>>>34F and slushy everywhere.

>>Prairie Roots
>>232/167/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

Prairie Roots
232/167/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

I've never been where you are!! I have family that lives in Idaho--some in Sandpoint, some in Coeur
d' Alene and some in Athol (yes, we love to make fun of this name), thought I'd see if you were near
any of them!!!

--
Janice
263/252/150 (maybe 130)

"Donna in Idaho (remove invalid)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:s%[email protected]...
> Southwestern Idaho - 45 miles west of Boise, just one mile from the Oregon state line near the
> small town of Wilder.
>
> --
> Donna in Idaho! Project Linus Boise/SW Idaho Coordinator Website: http://donnakwilts.tripod.com/
> The ultimate inspiration is the deadline!
>
> Remove ".remove.invalid" to reply
>

> "Janice Kennish" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > I hope your husband feels better soon!!
> >
> > What part of Idaho are you in?
> >
> > --
> > Janice
> > 263/252/150 (maybe 130)
> >

> > "Donna in Idaho (remove invalid)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Yes, do be extra careful. My DH fell on the snow covered ice Friday
> > morning
> > > and broke 2 ribs. He will now be sleeping in his recliner for the
next
> 4
> > > 6 weeks. He just can't up and down out of bed - makes enough faces & grimaces just trying to
> > > get in and out of his chair.
> > > --
> > > Donna in Idaho! Project Linus Boise/SW Idaho Coordinator Website:
> > > http://donnakwilts.tripod.com/ The ultimate inspiration is the deadline!
> > >
> > > Remove ".remove.invalid" to reply
> > >

> > > "Miss Violette" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> > > berlin.de...
> though--I
> > > did
> > > rain
> > > extended

> > the

They have them they just don't share them, Lee
Fred <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Unfortunately, from what I understand, WW Centers do NOT have phones. You need to call an 800
> number and then get a real live person and tell them zip code and then which center that they
> identify. I figured my leader was the tough type and having already had two official closings for
> the prior holidays, wanted to hold the meeting. And, I guess, that after two weeks, I probably
> wanted an official weight to see how I'm doing in THEIR terms. Also, unlike some of the online/etools/do-it-
> yourself types, I don't have a standard to use to post for the challenges. Maybe I should adopt my
> own standard from now on and use it rather than the WW version???? But I'm certainly not going for
> an average - too many numbers to enter and divide (G) even it it were a better overall
> indicator????
>
> On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 16:58:16 -0600, Prairie Roots <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >A power outage might also explain the absence of a message on the answering machine announcing
> >the cancellation. I'm gonna cast my vote for cold temps and dry roads over near-freezing temps
> >and ic-covered roads. I've spun out on a bridge in just those conditions, totalling my car.
> >Thankfully, due to seat belts, I walked away without a scrape or a bruise. But whenever I'm on
> >roads that appear to be the slightest bit icy, I head back home. If I want those kind of thrills,
> >I can go on one of the rides at the Mall of America.
> >
> >On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 11:00:46 -0800, Fred <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >>Well, I did manage to get out today - to attend my CANCELLED WW meeting. I called the 800 number
> >>twice and each time, including 1/2 hour before and told it was on. I drove up there through
> >>slush to find it closed. Actually, it looked like the little shopping center it is located in
> >>had no power - there are a lot of lines down due to the snow weighted down by the rain water on
> >>trees.
> >>
> >>Driving was not great but nothing like yesterday.
> >>
> >>34F and slushy everywhere.

> >Prairie Roots
> >232/167/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

In this place the public service announcements would have had to run 24 hours just to cover the list
once. Really, the place closes down with not much snow anyway due to the hills and then the freezing
rain made it worse. Portland, Ore gets that phenomenon more often due to very cold air coming west
through the Columbia Gorge and hitting the moist air.

So what you say about freezing rain hitting surfaces is right-on scary.